husqvarna 2023 plastic patent

JK BRO
Fantasy
1610th
6/23/2022 11:24am
Tell that to GM Ford FCA Toyota, they all have patents on thier parts. Just means ufo or acerbis will have to pay the ktm group...
Tell that to GM Ford FCA Toyota, they all have patents on thier parts. Just means ufo or acerbis will have to pay the ktm group to have an officially license product
Nah, just order a set on alibaba/banggood because you know even with a patent, they'll still be made in china.
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
6/23/2022 11:53am
I have yet to see any plastic that has made in China on the back. If KTM is smart they patented the mounting scheme. Now I know why they showed 4 different plastics colors for the 2023 in the tech accessories section on their site.
ktmdan
6/23/2022 12:31pm
This isn’t anything new. Auto manufacturers have been doing this for years! I’m honestly surprised that motorcycle manufacturers haven’t been doing it this whole time
Yeah, we file for patents on nearly every single thing we design, novel or not.
11/6/2022 9:31am
I've seen part #'s from UFO for 2023 plastic for both the KTM and Husky. I can understand KTM wanting to protect their designs. But it could backfire on them too. I have a Wildcat XX , and the designer of the suspension and chassis has patents on so much of the parts on the UTV. It has contributed to limited aftermarket parts for it, and has in some ways hurt sales of the UTV. People love to put aftermarket items on their toys. And if you eliminate the options or limit them you could run into lost sales long term. One of the great things about KTM's is the wide availability of aftermarket stuff. More options for those bikes than most other brands and I know that customers of mine like that about the KTM's. As far as body parts go, tons of aftermarket companies have won lawsuits against GM and Ford . Even with grills that have a spot for the bowtie or ford oval. If these multi billion dollar companies are unable to win those types of lawsuits I think KTM has a hard road ahead if they really wanted to draw it out. I think that most likely , they have parts made by all of the big aftermarket plastic companies that are in their hard parts catalogs and they had some sort of agreement that benefited them both for a delayed availability of aftermarket plastics. If you look at the 2023 UFO catalog they have the part #'s , but nothing is available yet. I was told a year delay. Not sure when the year started or stops. But that KTM was not licensing aftermarket plastic for the first year. So maybe that is from when the Factory edition became available ,or when the 2023's were in dealers. Its funny to see the Factory KTM teams sponsored by plastic companies that can not sell the plastic on the bikes. I hope they do not limit the colors that can be made for them. Its been so cool having so many colors of plastic available for KTM's

The Shop

Spooner
11/6/2022 10:15am
Acerbis will have plastic next month for KTM, not sure yet when the new husky stuff will be available but its coming.
SonofThor32
11/6/2022 11:59am
I can tell you OEM radiator shrouds (pair) for a 2022 Husky are $210... Just the OEM shrouds. So while I support an OEM wanting to patent parts of the bike, putting a patent on a wear-item sucks as a consumer. I understand wanting a patent on non-wear items, but what is next, proprietary $500 brake pads?

Hopefully I am misinterpreting that, but OEM plastics are beyond fawking expensive, it is not good news.
11/6/2022 12:09pm
I can tell you OEM radiator shrouds (pair) for a 2022 Husky are $210... Just the OEM shrouds. So while I support an OEM wanting to...
I can tell you OEM radiator shrouds (pair) for a 2022 Husky are $210... Just the OEM shrouds. So while I support an OEM wanting to patent parts of the bike, putting a patent on a wear-item sucks as a consumer. I understand wanting a patent on non-wear items, but what is next, proprietary $500 brake pads?

Hopefully I am misinterpreting that, but OEM plastics are beyond fawking expensive, it is not good news.
$210 for a pair of radiator shrouds is hilariously insane. I’d like to hear KTM’s justification for this kind of price gouging.
mx317
11/6/2022 1:42pm
I can tell you OEM radiator shrouds (pair) for a 2022 Husky are $210... Just the OEM shrouds. So while I support an OEM wanting to...

$210 for a pair of radiator shrouds is hilariously insane. I’d like to hear KTM’s justification for this kind of price gouging.
While it is too high, it does come with the molded in graphics.
crf250pilot
11/6/2022 1:48pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2022 1:50pm
Joshracing wrote:
Tell me how you'd feel, if someone totally stole your design, replicated it for profit. You're paying for, and creating something to gain a return, as...
Tell me how you'd feel, if someone totally stole your design, replicated it for profit. You're paying for, and creating something to gain a return, as is to be expected in any manufacturing business.
These clowns in China keep ripping off, again and again, and for some reason, people support them. Pure insanity. Great work from the KTM group in protecting themselves, but, sure the Chinese government simple don't care in copyright or intellectual property laws internationally, more of a worry, the buying public don't seem to either.
If you couldn't tell, this is a fake KTM, made in China.

Someone get Ping to take this up Mt St Helen.
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
11/6/2022 1:58pm

Husky sells complete plastics for within $10 of acerbis complete kits. The 2022 shrouds with inmold graphics are $200 retail but $170 on rmatv right now. Kawasaki wants $145 msrp per shroud. Honda $115 msrp per shroud, the big winner is Yamaha $210 msrp per side.
SonofThor32
11/6/2022 3:37pm

I guess it is just hard (to me) because plastics are wear items, they should be somewhat affordable. Acerbis and Pollisport make crashes and wear a lot easier to swallow for the un-rich. Bikes are already expensive enough.
11/6/2022 3:59pm
Not sure about Husky, but KTM is selling 5 colours of complete plastic sets without any imbedded graphics for 220 Canadian. I have a black set on the way for my 23 300sx...
studworx
Fantasy
571st
11/6/2022 4:21pm

I have a TM and they have a deal with R-Tech to make their plastics, but can’t sell the plastics (only TM can sell).

I bought my plastic kit for $400 Canadian, buying individual panels is stupid expensive too. Rad shrouds $130, side plates $150, etc.
11/7/2022 2:13pm
Back when BMW tried making a dirt bike Acerbis was making the plastic for it . The Acerbis kit sold by Acerbis was around $130 or $140 , right around the same as all the other brands back then. But the Acerbis sold by BMW was only sold as individual pieces and just a side number plate was about the same price as the full kit. Some of my customers have bought the KTM powerparts plastic kits and got the full set for right around what Polisport or Acerbis is. They got blank plastic. The OEM replacement pieces with molded in graphics might be expensive . But the powerparts versions ,at least for the KTM are right around what retail is on aftermarket plastic kits. So if you get a discount at the shop you get parts at it should end up being close to the regular aftermarket price. New bodywork often takes a little while to come out anyway. The 22 YZ plastic took a while to be available . Hopefully Acerbis,UFO and Polisport will be able to start selling their kits soon so there is more availability .
SonofThor32
12/2/2022 3:30pm

I guess it is just hard (to me) because plastics are wear items, they should be somewhat affordable. Acerbis and Pollisport make crashes and wear a...
I guess it is just hard (to me) because plastics are wear items, they should be somewhat affordable. Acerbis and Pollisport make crashes and wear a lot easier to swallow for the un-rich. Bikes are already expensive enough.

Has anybody with a 2023 FC or TC actually purchased any plastics yet?  I am sitting here kicking the tires on a new TC125 to add to the stable, but would prefer a Heritage Edition.  So I decided to poke around to see what it would cost to convert, and I think all of this patent stuff is  what it seems.  I can't find a single aftermarket with any plastics for them yet.  However, Husky is now selling what they are calling a "fairing kit" that is a complete plastics set for a decent price, assuming the price remains ($211):

https://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/en-us/motocross-fairing-kits.html

Anyway, I like options so I hope this is somehow wrong, hopefully someone with more first hand knowledge can chime in.

Spooner
12/2/2022 3:41pm

I haven't seen anything yet for husky other than OEM.  I am picking up my TX tomorrow so I've been digging too.  Last I check Acerbis should have stuff next month but they are sticking to the basics so white, black, etc.  

atrdrvr7
12/2/2022 3:45pm

AOMC sells full oem kits for $179-$199

WTF_M8
12/2/2022 5:35pm

Guess everybody forgot about the CR front brake routing?

soggy
Fantasy
3857th
12/2/2022 6:08pm
WTF_M8 wrote:

I think that may be slightly different. Aftermarket companies could sell brake lines that routed like cr style. Ktm used that routing for a long time as well before Kawasaki and Yamaha adopted it. When did the Honda patent run out on it?

WTF_M8
12/2/2022 6:23pm
WTF_M8 wrote:

soggy wrote:
I think that may be slightly different. Aftermarket companies could sell brake lines that routed like cr style. Ktm used that routing for a long time...

I think that may be slightly different. Aftermarket companies could sell brake lines that routed like cr style. Ktm used that routing for a long time as well before Kawasaki and Yamaha adopted it. When did the Honda patent run out on it?

Oh. I was never aware of aftermarket parts for this.

rohleder644
12/2/2022 6:30pm
soggy wrote:
I think that may be slightly different. Aftermarket companies could sell brake lines that routed like cr style. Ktm used that routing for a long time...

‘05 I believe

12/2/2022 6:41pm

Honda also held a patent on using a Triangle to hold a motorcycle. So for a longtime all the triangle stands from other brands had funkey hooks or were made into a less than triangle like shape. I think it was only in Japan . And there were also aftermarket triangle stands. That is a little different though.  Acerbis ,UFO ,Polisport , etc all still made aftermarket options . It only stopped other  motorcycle makers from routing the line the same way. So it would be more like Honda making a bike with the plastic using the same  way of connecting to the bike as KTM or Husky. There are laws in the US that allow for Aftermarket replacement parts. Chevy, Ford , they have both lost lawsuits  when they tried to stop aftermarket grills form being made with a place holder for the logo. The logo was the issue. Those same aftermarket company's  were allowed to use the Ford or GM logos on the packing to show what the item fit. as long as it was clear that it was not a GM or ford made item. I don't think KTM could stop a company that made the parts and sold them in the US. But if they have an arrangement with an aftermarket brand to make plastic items for them , they could use that as leverage to keep them from making the parts. Or if there is not enough money in making the parts to be worth the lawsuit that KTM would try and use to stop them.  An aftermarket replacement part is different from another company taking and using the same design on their motorcycle. 

Motodave15
12/2/2022 10:06pm
JK BRO wrote:
If mfg's would stop producing products in China and other child labor countries then there would be no theft of IP. Fact is labor is pennies...
If mfg's would stop producing products in China and other child labor countries then there would be no theft of IP. Fact is labor is pennies on the dollar compared to US wages and profit margins are substantially higher when outsourcing to china.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

This x1000… which is why I never ever feel sorry for companies when the knock offs are created… stop outsourcing the shit, and build it locally or do whatever it takes to manufacture at home! Until then, your up will get stolen and abused in these other countries.

dcg141
12/3/2022 6:37am Edited Date/Time 12/3/2022 6:38am

Where do you people get this stuff from? Retail on the shroud set with the sublimated graphic is $149.00. Retail on the plain shroud set from Husqvarna is $59.00. 

8tensolutions
12/3/2022 6:49am

dcg141 wrote:
Where do you people get this stuff from? Retail on the shroud set with the sublimated graphic is $149.00. Retail on the plain shroud set from...

Where do you people get this stuff from? Retail on the shroud set with the sublimated graphic is $149.00. Retail on the plain shroud set from Husqvarna is $59.00. 

Who knows where they get it.  I think it's great they are making multiple colors available and protecting their design and products.....while making it "affordable".  Why should they allow other companies to use their design?  This is another way for them to grow and creates more capital to support their Teams and build great stuff going forward.  It would be different if they were charging $1000 for a kit, but even then it is theirs to sell and consumers have the option to buy.

soggy
Fantasy
3857th
12/3/2022 8:51am
Honda also held a patent on using a Triangle to hold a motorcycle. So for a longtime all the triangle stands from other brands had funkey...

Honda also held a patent on using a Triangle to hold a motorcycle. So for a longtime all the triangle stands from other brands had funkey hooks or were made into a less than triangle like shape. I think it was only in Japan . And there were also aftermarket triangle stands. That is a little different though.  Acerbis ,UFO ,Polisport , etc all still made aftermarket options . It only stopped other  motorcycle makers from routing the line the same way. So it would be more like Honda making a bike with the plastic using the same  way of connecting to the bike as KTM or Husky. There are laws in the US that allow for Aftermarket replacement parts. Chevy, Ford , they have both lost lawsuits  when they tried to stop aftermarket grills form being made with a place holder for the logo. The logo was the issue. Those same aftermarket company's  were allowed to use the Ford or GM logos on the packing to show what the item fit. as long as it was clear that it was not a GM or ford made item. I don't think KTM could stop a company that made the parts and sold them in the US. But if they have an arrangement with an aftermarket brand to make plastic items for them , they could use that as leverage to keep them from making the parts. Or if there is not enough money in making the parts to be worth the lawsuit that KTM would try and use to stop them.  An aftermarket replacement part is different from another company taking and using the same design on their motorcycle. 

I wonder how ktm was able to use the Honda style routing for so long before Hondas patent ran out? Suzuki also was using it well before 2005. 

wrc777
Fantasy
587th
12/3/2022 9:03am
Honda also held a patent on using a Triangle to hold a motorcycle. So for a longtime all the triangle stands from other brands had funkey...

soggy wrote:
I wonder how ktm was able to use the Honda style routing for so long before Hondas patent ran out? Suzuki also was using it well...

I wonder how ktm was able to use the Honda style routing for so long before Hondas patent ran out? Suzuki also was using it well before 2005. 

They could have licensed it from Honda. 

SonofThor32
12/3/2022 9:31am
dcg141 wrote:
Where do you people get this stuff from? Retail on the shroud set with the sublimated graphic is $149.00. Retail on the plain shroud set from...

'You people' like to shop at the local town motorcycle shop which is where I got my pricing from in this case.  And that was speaking for 2022 plastics in the case you are commenting on.

dcg141
12/3/2022 11:02am Edited Date/Time 12/3/2022 9:39pm
dcg141 wrote:

'You people' like to shop at the local town motorcycle shop which is where I got my pricing from in this case.  And that was speaking...

'You people' like to shop at the local town motorcycle shop which is where I got my pricing from in this case.  And that was speaking for 2022 plastics in the case you are commenting on.

Still its $199 retail on the 22 sublimated stocks and $51 on the plain 22's. That's full retail. You can get both from Husqvarna. Polisport shrouds are $48.99 retail for the same bike and they are of course plain. KTM/Husqavrna/Gas Gas is and has been competitive with aftermarket plastic for decades now. 

12/3/2022 11:45am

dcg141 wrote:

Who knows where they get it.  I think it's great they are making multiple colors available and protecting their design and products.....while making it "affordable".  Why...

Who knows where they get it.  I think it's great they are making multiple colors available and protecting their design and products.....while making it "affordable".  Why should they allow other companies to use their design?  This is another way for them to grow and creates more capital to support their Teams and build great stuff going forward.  It would be different if they were charging $1000 for a kit, but even then it is theirs to sell and consumers have the option to buy.

In the UTV world the Arctic Cat Wildcat XX had very limited aftermarket support . They were going after people that made parts for some of the suspension and drivetrain . Aftermarket items to work with OEm but different design  , or long travel suspension kits, And as a result of the limited aftermarket  parts the sales of the XX suffered .  Its great to offer the Powerparts options at a price similar to what you would pay for Polisport normally. But People like doing different stuff, they like options  for what brand item.   Acerbis sponsors the Factory team in the US and the only stuff you could get where the frame guards. More options make it better all around . One of the cool things about KTM's  have been all the aftermarket items you can get.  Between Acerbis,Polisport,R-tech and UFO there were over 20 color combos of plastic available for the 16-18 and similar for the 19-22 bikes. It lets people be creative with the bikes. I think that in the long run it would hurt sales if they keep going towards limiting the aftermarket  parts options and making it so you have to buy from a KTM dealer. What about all the smaller shops out there  that sell aftermarket stuff? Just kill them off? or make them Japanese only? Some places do not have any KTM/Husky/GG dealers for many many miles and they might have a smaller shop down the road. I know this thread is mostly about plastic, but they did the same thing with pipes . So who knows what they would do next. Would you really want to only options for parts to be going to your local KTM dealer?

I may be biased since I happen to own a small shop. But think about how many shops started out selling aftermarket stuff and then grew into an OEM shop.  Polaris dominates the UTV world and they work with bigger aftermarket  brands to get a good selection of accessories   built and in dealers  so that when the new models  are on the floor the parts are also available. And the dealer can still roll it all into one big loan that Polaris makes money off , the dealer makes money off the aftermarket parts and installing them and  many people who buy UTV's are spending close to what the machine cost on add ons.   

Post a reply to: husqvarna 2023 plastic patent

The Latest