husqvarna 2023 plastic patent

6/21/2022 1:21pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2022 4:21pm
Heard a crazy rumor today at the track.
Husqvarna have patent on the plastic (fenders, sidepanels..) so no aftermarket companies are allowed to sell.
Anyone else heard about this ?
|
40acres
6/21/2022 1:28pm
Well there's an entire Acerbis kit on RMATV for a 2023 TE 300i for about $130 and the Polisport kit looks to run $114...
gt757
6/21/2022 1:29pm
I know they had someone help them with the design of the plastics and the overall look of the bike with this new model but i didn't hear anything about having them patented or something.
Munson'd
Fantasy
1022nd
6/21/2022 1:31pm
Made of unobtanium.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
6/21/2022 1:44pm
I'm sure aftermarket companies will pay license fees to make and sell products for the bikes. Everybody wins in that scenario. The patent is more designed to differentiate the bike from other manufacturers and keep them from copying the design.

The Shop

Motofinne
6/22/2022 2:38am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2022 2:40am
I can confirm it, it's true (KTM and Husqvarna). Everyone is working to find a solution but be prepared for getting your aftermarket plastics very late this year.
Motofinne
6/22/2022 2:40am
40acres wrote:
Well there's an entire Acerbis kit on RMATV for a 2023 TE 300i for about $130 and the Polisport kit looks to run $114...
That is the "old" generation. The same will apply for the 2024 enduro models when they get the new generation update.
wr74
6/22/2022 4:00am
This is hilarious. Ktm and husky release some of the most technologically advanced and yet ugly bikes in recent memory… then block anyone from replicating their ugly as plastic designs! I say this is a win for the consumer… I look forward to seeing some improved designs from the big plastic companies soon!
TeamGreen
6/22/2022 7:55am
If you read them...

The patents are intended to protect features that KTM claims are original/their invention/their original designs/their specific application of these features.

We'll see. These things get sticky.

If someone has those features patented somewhere-else...that's recognized by the VERY many international-trade agreements...? Well, like I said, we'll see.

On the other-hand, they may be awfully damn tired of seeing China and others knocking off their stuff or...even in the after-market: selling replacement parts that infringe on what they believe is their "intellectual property".

The Husky "brand"...itself...as it applies to the motorcycles we ride that're made by KTM...itself...is a licensing agreement. So, at the end of the day, they're merely enforcing their branding rights which ARE exclusive and ARE something they should protect.
sam hain
6/22/2022 8:32am
40acres wrote:
The TE and XCW bikes for 23 do not have the updated plastic. SX/TC/FC/TX/XC/FX/XCF will be what this patent is referring to.
Roczoff
6/22/2022 9:00am
It's COMPLETELY NORMAL for a manufacturer to get a DESIGN PATENT on their product.

As mentioned above, it's to prevent knock-offs.

KTM haters won't understand, even as their own bike's brand does the same thing.

6/22/2022 10:42pm
Tell me how you'd feel, if someone totally stole your design, replicated it for profit. You're paying for, and creating something to gain a return, as is to be expected in any manufacturing business.
These clowns in China keep ripping off, again and again, and for some reason, people support them. Pure insanity. Great work from the KTM group in protecting themselves, but, sure the Chinese government simple don't care in copyright or intellectual property laws internationally, more of a worry, the buying public don't seem to either.
If you couldn't tell, this is a fake KTM, made in China.

Motofinne
6/22/2022 10:56pm
Roczoff wrote:
It's COMPLETELY NORMAL for a manufacturer to get a DESIGN PATENT on their product. As mentioned above, it's to prevent knock-offs. KTM haters won't understand, even...
It's COMPLETELY NORMAL for a manufacturer to get a DESIGN PATENT on their product.

KTM haters won't understand, even as their own bike's brand does the same thing.

No it's not completely normal what they've done. They've done it so thoroughly that plastics manufacturers are unable to sell plastics for the 2023 SX/SXF/TC/FC bikes at the moment.

That is unheard of for other OEMs.
6/22/2022 11:56pm
Roczoff wrote:
It's COMPLETELY NORMAL for a manufacturer to get a DESIGN PATENT on their product. As mentioned above, it's to prevent knock-offs. KTM haters won't understand, even...

Motofinne wrote:
No it's not completely normal what they've done. They've done it so thoroughly that plastics manufacturers are unable to sell plastics for the 2023 SX/SXF/TC/FC bikes...
No it's not completely normal what they've done. They've done it so thoroughly that plastics manufacturers are unable to sell plastics for the 2023 SX/SXF/TC/FC bikes at the moment.

Actually, not true! Honda have done it on the current CRf450R, really. If you do some research, you'll find it. I would, but super short on time at the moment, I will try to dig it up and post later today. This WILL become common practice, so get used to it. Companies need to protect their investment, as best they can.
If you didn't already see, Rtech released the 'Restyling' plastics kit a few weeks ago, a little taste of the direction plastics companies will be forced to go...
adamw21
6/23/2022 1:42am
Roczoff wrote:

Motofinne wrote:
No it's not completely normal what they've done. They've done it so thoroughly that plastics manufacturers are unable to sell plastics for the 2023 SX/SXF/TC/FC bikes...

Joshracing wrote:
Actually, not true! Honda have done it on the current CRf450R, really. If you do some research, you'll find it. I would, but super short on...
Actually, not true! Honda have done it on the current CRf450R, really. If you do some research, you'll find it. I would, but super short on time at the moment, I will try to dig it up and post later today. This WILL become common practice, so get used to it. Companies need to protect their investment, as best they can.
If you didn't already see, Rtech released the 'Restyling' plastics kit a few weeks ago, a little taste of the direction plastics companies will be forced to go...
Just means the same bike will have multiple looks. Win win
adamw21
6/23/2022 1:43am
Also think with more and more “restyle” kits being sold for older models some oems feel like it hurts sales when you can make a 04 look like a 23
KONG
6/23/2022 1:47am
Joshracing wrote:
Tell me how you'd feel, if someone totally stole your design, replicated it for profit. You're paying for, and creating something to gain a return, as...
Tell me how you'd feel, if someone totally stole your design, replicated it for profit. You're paying for, and creating something to gain a return, as is to be expected in any manufacturing business.
These clowns in China keep ripping off, again and again, and for some reason, people support them. Pure insanity. Great work from the KTM group in protecting themselves, but, sure the Chinese government simple don't care in copyright or intellectual property laws internationally, more of a worry, the buying public don't seem to either.

"For some reason"?
Everybody knows what the reason is: it looks like a KTM for one third or fourth of the price.
The same reason for which people buy a fake Rolex or a Chanel bag knockoff.
Motofinne
6/23/2022 2:16am
Roczoff wrote:

Motofinne wrote:

Joshracing wrote:
Actually, not true! Honda have done it on the current CRf450R, really. If you do some research, you'll find it. I would, but super short on...
But plastics manufacturers have been selling CRF450 2021 plastics without any design changes since day one in the bikes existence. So there is obviously a difference to this situation.

cwel11
6/23/2022 2:47am
Meh. With the problems I’ve been having with some aftermarket plastic companies might stick with oem anyway.
6/23/2022 4:02am
Joshracing wrote:
Tell me how you'd feel, if someone totally stole your design, replicated it for profit. You're paying for, and creating something to gain a return, as...

KONG wrote:
"For some reason"? Everybody knows what the reason is: it looks like a KTM for one third or fourth of the price. The same reason for...
"For some reason"?
Everybody knows what the reason is: it looks like a KTM for one third or fourth of the price.
Doesn't make it right though, does it?. We see these threads from time to time, 'My KTM broke in half'. Is it a KTM? It just reflects badly on the brand, not only KTM, but as an example. They look like a KTM, when you see it fall in a heap at the track, many assume it is.
The AliExpress FOX gear... What gives them the right to steal all FOX's design teams work, effort, copy and sell. Fair? The guys are FOX are just like us, a bunch of blokes doin what they love. Think if you had your own product, you're proud... you get it to market, only to see someone make an exact copy, profit from your work, plus reduce your sales. KTM is just on a larger scale. Enough is enough.
6/23/2022 4:46am
This isn’t anything new. Auto manufacturers have been doing this for years! I’m honestly surprised that motorcycle manufacturers haven’t been doing it this whole time
wrc777
Fantasy
1130th
6/23/2022 5:31am
Joshracing wrote:

KONG wrote:
"For some reason"? Everybody knows what the reason is: it looks like a KTM for one third or fourth of the price. The same reason for...
"For some reason"?
Full retail on the 2023 KTM or Husky plastics kit is $200 and that is before you get 15% off which most dealers will do. Which plastics company does a full kit for $50-$70 retail? I think most are right there at $200 on the 2022.
haydug391
6/23/2022 5:36am
They are protecting the wood screw!
Dirt.Squirt
6/23/2022 7:39am
Just make white “ktm” fenders?
Moto520
6/23/2022 8:33am
Will the OEM plastic be fully available and stocked? The problem is if you break a front fender and can't get a replacement from anywhere but a KTM dealer. We have gotten used to breaking a part and having a replacement at our door 2-3 days later. I just hope that there are not availability issues that keep me from riding.
JK BRO
Fantasy
569th
6/23/2022 9:01am
Proprietary plastics.... GTFO KTM.

731chopper
Fantasy
390th
6/23/2022 9:53am
I’ve got a new TC125 on order and am very excited about it but I think a “restyle” would be warmly welcomed with the look of the new KTM’s and Husky’s. The KTM rad shrouds could poke an eye out faster than an official Red Ryder, carbine action, 200-shot, range model air rifle, with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time.
JK BRO
Fantasy
569th
6/23/2022 11:02am
Joshracing wrote:

If mfg's would stop producing products in China and other child labor countries then there would be no theft of IP. Fact is labor is pennies on the dollar compared to US wages and profit margins are substantially higher when outsourcing to china.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.
6/23/2022 11:09am
Joshracing wrote:

JK BRO wrote:
If mfg's would stop producing products in China and other child labor countries then there would be no theft of IP. Fact is labor is pennies...
If mfg's would stop producing products in China and other child labor countries then there would be no theft of IP. Fact is labor is pennies on the dollar compared to US wages and profit margins are substantially higher when outsourcing to china.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Tell that to GM Ford FCA Toyota, they all have patents on thier parts. Just means ufo or acerbis will have to pay the ktm group to have an officially license product

Post a reply to: husqvarna 2023 plastic patent

The Latest