hitch carrier

Edited Date/Time 1/1/2021 9:08pm
Has anyone ever had issues with hitch carriers? I want to get one, but it scares me to put my bike on one. If straps break in the back of the truck, the bike isn't going anywhere. If they break on a hitch carrier, you're bike is gone. Is that something I should even worry about?

What are good ones to get? Harbor Freight? Amazon?
|
skeef
Fantasy
1407th
12/30/2020 4:01pm
I have had this one for over 10 years. Never had any issues besides user error of dumping all the hydro fluid out of the jack. I think these are way better than the standard bike hauler becuase like you said the main point of tying down is the foot pegs not straps to bars. Plus it gets the bike up a bit higher. 100% reccomend. More pricey but when it comes to holding a 10k machine I don't cheap out on the hauler. I've had it on the back of a disel pusher, yukon XL, and toyota highlander (poor highlander) going 100 mph down the highway and on bumpy backroads.

crusher773
12/30/2020 4:35pm
Man I even had the double one and never had an issue with it.. Hauled 2 big bikes on it all over the place. It was a good option for several years.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
12/30/2020 4:44pm
What vehicle will you be using the carrier on?
TM

The Shop

12/30/2020 6:23pm
I bought one called the 'Mo-Tow'.

Works fine so far, used it a couple times, bike didn't fall off.

I have a van, but I like to have space inside it, plus the two stroke petrol outside the van is better.
Kebrock
12/30/2020 6:26pm
I used one from Discount Ramps, believe it was a Black Widow brand. Used it for numerous years and no issues.
lumpy790
12/30/2020 6:32pm
Been using a jack rack for about 20 years. I do put 2 tie downs on the inside just for peace of mind

bigk218
Fantasy
3159th
12/30/2020 8:38pm
You could always use two straps. If you do something that causes one, let alone both to break that’s a sign you maybe should stay off the bike that day.

Never underestimate strap care and maintenance.
Redrcr34
12/30/2020 10:17pm
Bought my moto jack rack about 18 years ago. Hauled the bike with a couple different trucks but have just went back to using the rack again. Works great and easy to load.

davis224
Fantasy
138th
12/31/2020 4:54am
Redrcr34 wrote:
Bought my moto jack rack about 18 years ago. Hauled the bike with a couple different trucks but have just went back to using the rack...
Bought my moto jack rack about 18 years ago. Hauled the bike with a couple different trucks but have just went back to using the rack again. Works great and easy to load.

I ended up ordering one based off of the thread I started in October, and just now got confirmation that it is shipping out. Looks like it will do the trick for me, but there was no communication about a delay from them. Oh well, I'll give it a review when I get it.
Spooner
12/31/2020 6:45am
I have used one made by Erickson for several years and had great luck with it. It also has an attachment to hold a gas can if you need it which is nice for SUV's. Just use GOOD straps and you won't have an issue. I also run a ratchet strap from one foot peg to the other going under the rack to keep it more secure.
kxfracer108
12/31/2020 6:55am
I have a harbor freight style one. I didn’t like the design all that much. It had two rails per side, with bolts holding them together in the middle. After 3 or 4 uses it started sagging from the bolt holes stretching. I started fixing it with material around the shop and my buddys fab shop. I ended up just using the ramp and threw out the rest of the hauler. Mine is about 10000x stronger than the harbor freight one and I trust it for any adventure I bring my bike on.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
12/31/2020 8:32am
ToolMaker wrote:
TM
2017 Ford Explorer
If you're looking at the jack style carriers, the others work well also. If you'd like something a bit
higher end, you should take a look at Switch Hauler®. Since your considering the Husky
or the GG, we would also recommend the steel frame leveling plate. Yes we are a bit more expensive
than the others but you also get a higher end product.

Also because the rack detaches from the station it stores in minimal space when you are not using it.

TM
lumpy790
12/31/2020 8:43am
Redrcr34 wrote:
Bought my moto jack rack about 18 years ago. Hauled the bike with a couple different trucks but have just went back to using the rack...

Have you had any jack problems? Mine weeps a little and have had to top it off with transmission fluid. Had to do it right before I took that pic here in Florida a couple days ago.
12/31/2020 9:21am
it looks like it covers the license plate up, are people not worries about getting pulled over? (though I guess you can run all the tolls you want)

I have worked in this industry for many years and seen a few people with these hitch carriers, and I have always wondered why people prefer this over a trailer? sure the trailer cost a bit more up front, but you can do more with it, haul more bikes, tools, whatever you want.
UGOTBIT
Fantasy
1679th
12/31/2020 9:29am
it looks like it covers the license plate up, are people not worries about getting pulled over? (though I guess you can run all the tolls...
it looks like it covers the license plate up, are people not worries about getting pulled over? (though I guess you can run all the tolls you want)

I have worked in this industry for many years and seen a few people with these hitch carriers, and I have always wondered why people prefer this over a trailer? sure the trailer cost a bit more up front, but you can do more with it, haul more bikes, tools, whatever you want.
Maintenance.

Cost of upkeep/registration/inspections.

Wear parts, bearings to grease, tires that blow out.

Redrcr34
12/31/2020 9:48am
Redrcr34 wrote:

lumpy790 wrote:
Have you had any jack problems? Mine weeps a little and have had to top it off with transmission fluid. Had to do it right before...
Have you had any jack problems? Mine weeps a little and have had to top it off with transmission fluid. Had to do it right before I took that pic here in Florida a couple days ago.
I just recently bought a new 2 ton jack, you can get them at most Farm & Home or tractor supply stores. The ones at the stores worked but I was having clearance problems with the jack style that most of them use. The pump mechanism is off to the side and would not clear the rear bumper on my suv. I don’t think this is a problem with most vehicles, never had an issue on any other suv s that I’ve had. I ended up with getting an in line jack off amazon, ended up buying two just in case. Haven’t seen the in-line like those anywhere. I at first used a hitch extension but heard that if you use one it reduces the tongue weight capacity by 50 percent. Here is the jack that I use on the hitch now.

Redrcr34
12/31/2020 9:54am
Redrcr34 wrote:

lumpy790 wrote:
Have you had any jack problems? Mine weeps a little and have had to top it off with transmission fluid. Had to do it right before...
Redrcr34 wrote:
I just recently bought a new 2 ton jack, you can get them at most Farm & Home or tractor supply stores. The ones at the...
I just recently bought a new 2 ton jack, you can get them at most Farm & Home or tractor supply stores. The ones at the stores worked but I was having clearance problems with the jack style that most of them use. The pump mechanism is off to the side and would not clear the rear bumper on my suv. I don’t think this is a problem with most vehicles, never had an issue on any other suv s that I’ve had. I ended up with getting an in line jack off amazon, ended up buying two just in case. Haven’t seen the in-line like those anywhere. I at first used a hitch extension but heard that if you use one it reduces the tongue weight capacity by 50 percent. Here is the jack that I use on the hitch now.

Here is the hitch with new jack installed.

captmoto
12/31/2020 9:55am
UGOTBIT wrote:
Maintenance.

Storage too. I have 3 trailers in 3 different locations.
12/31/2020 9:57am
it looks like it covers the license plate up, are people not worries about getting pulled over? (though I guess you can run all the tolls...

UGOTBIT wrote:
Maintenance.

my current trailer is a single axle 5x7 BigTex with ramp, I did add a wheel chalk, did upgrade to LED lights and changed the wiring, and did add a spare, so I am about $650 into it. I do use it a lot, usually haul at least 3-4 bikes a week with it, including many 500+ mile trips, and had no mechanical issues with it in 7 years. registration does cost me about $55/year, how ever it does not need to be inspected. on a plus side I have probably hauled at least 100 stranded/crashed/or non running bikes get to where they needed to go, and usually charge $100 to do so, so this trailer has paid for itself many times over.
Redrcr34
12/31/2020 10:03am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2020 10:09am

I had a trailer too, guess it just depends how much you ride and how much stuff you need to haul. I like the rack because I don’t have to pay for a trailer, license plates, maintenance on the trailer or storage. Registration on a small trailer in Illinois is at least 250.00 when you first register it and around 125.00 every year. It’s also nice that you are not pulling anything and can go a good speed if need be knowing that you having nothing dragging behind you. I just ride only like 3 to 4 Times a month and it’s easy to load and no tie downs and compression on the forks.
lumpy790
12/31/2020 10:27am
Why? I originally bought the jack rack because I had put a cap on my truck.

Found it used from a guy about 20 miles from me in Charlotte that was selling it on thumpertalk and Paid $75 for it
Redrcr34
12/31/2020 10:55am
lumpy790 wrote:
Why? I originally bought the jack rack because I had put a cap on my truck. Found it used from a guy about 20 miles from...
Why? I originally bought the jack rack because I had put a cap on my truck.

Found it used from a guy about 20 miles from me in Charlotte that was selling it on thumpertalk and Paid $75 for it
That’s a great deal. I really like mine.
crusher773
12/31/2020 11:17am

When I had mine it was a real cheap way to be able to haul the bikes and stuff I needed to. Trailer just wasn't in the cards yet but I bought my carrier for $100 about 10 years later sold it for $100.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
12/31/2020 4:11pm

There's no one solution for everyone. Everyone has different needs and likes.
In CA you can get pulled over doing 62 mph with a trailer. With the Switch Hauler®
you can travel much faster and in all the lanes.
We have many customers that have both, the Switch Hauler® and a trailer. They
tell us they like the convenience of the hauler vs. trailer. There's also many folks
that don't have room to store a trailer.
Ever try being a chase vehicle in Mexico with a trailer?
numbers
12/31/2020 9:46pm
ToolMaker wrote:
TM
2017 Ford Explorer
If you bag the rear it will ride amazing.
mwssquad827
1/1/2021 9:23am
I used my brothers to use on my wife’s Subaru cuz we where driving 16hrs from home and I wanted to take the bike.. anyway I strapped the shit out of it and it made it to Tucson. When I turned on to my in-laws street legit 1mile of a 1200 mile trip the bike fell off at 45 mph ish.. peg, pipe and bars all ground Down!! Shitty deal.. we know take my truck on trips😂😂😂

Post a reply to: hitch carrier

The Latest