help setting up a trailer

Edited Date/Time 12/8/2015 2:30pm
Hey guys I just bought a new 6X12 enclosed trailer for supercross, it's a single axel which I know isn't ideal but the price was pretty good. I will be taking 3 bikes with me to every race. Just wanted to see if anyone had any good ideas about how to set one up?

I was thinking about putting the bikes towards the back and then up front maybe a standing small tool box where I can put extra parts.

|
cmotodad
12/6/2015 6:48pm
If you put the bikes in the rear, make sure to load the front heavy enough to not get the speed wobbles when towing. Looks to me, if you center the bikes on the axle then the forward weight will make a straight towing trailer. Upper cabinets along the sides are a good addition. Good luck with the build and at the races.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
12/6/2015 6:56pm
What's the goal with it and what's towing it?
12/6/2015 7:35pm
I'll be pulling it with a Toyota tundra and then as far as goals go I don't really have any set other than being able to take everything I normally do to Sx a little easier.

Another question is about wiring up a few things I would like to try to put 2 lights into the celling and then have a outlet or two inside and then make it so I can just have a small generator sitting outside it powering everything inside.

And with the shelving is that best to make it yourself or try to buy some premade ones?

The Shop

colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
12/6/2015 7:49pm
I'm not a Toyota guy but I assume it's got factory trailer brake control/sway control? If so, does the trailer have brakes? I'd suggest you get some if not.

I'd throw a deep cycle battery next to the generator.
For lights, get some cheapo florescent lights. I got a couple for $5 a piece, so look around for a deal. You can hook up a power inverter to the battery, and charge the battery with the generator/truck (or power stuff off it directly)
Save yourself the time and buy shelving.

IMO I don't think you'll need the generator. Get 2 deep cycles batteries instead, and have no reason to buy or run a generator. You'll be starting the truck pretty often, and I believe the Tundra has a large alternator right?
brlatm
12/6/2015 8:37pm
I installed 2 strips of LED lights from Walmart for about $19 a pop in mine, the have 3M backing tape attached and run off 12 volt power. They are bright as hell and when my trailer is plugged into the truck it runs off it. Uses very little power at all being LED. You can do as suggested and buy 2 deep cycle batteries and just wire them to a regular switch inside the trailer then onto the lights. If you are worried about charging them up then get a small solar charger that plugs into a cigarette lighter or alligator clips that attaches to the batteries. You can find one at like a Tractor Supply for around $25 dollars. I kept one in my truck in Wyoming all winter plugged in and when I went back 4 months later it started right up so I know they work really well.
Zycki11
12/7/2015 4:05am
Anyone have picture of there setup?
bgpn35
12/7/2015 5:02am
My pops and I did this to my 7x14 a few weeks ago, it's a start I guess. Getting the plywood cut to fit the v is kinda hard because these trailers are not perfectly square and we are not carpenters either. I think it turned out looking pretty good considering we are not building a piano, haha! I'm going to hang some aluminum cabinets that a guy on eBay makes for trailers, he has all kinds of stuff for real cheap. If you get on eBay in the search bar put enclosed trailer accessories and it should pop up. Hope this helps

BMR179
Fantasy
1263rd
12/7/2015 5:24am
Here's a few pics of my setup. 14', carries 3 bikes and all gear/spares with room to spare. There is also a fold down shelf that is super handy and out of the way when loaded.

PVC gas jug holder

PVC boot rack

Gotta have a cold beer opener with a piston cap catcher

Zycki11
12/7/2015 5:50am
BMR179 wrote:
Here's a few pics of my setup. 14', carries 3 bikes and all gear/spares with room to spare. There is also a fold down shelf that...
Here's a few pics of my setup. 14', carries 3 bikes and all gear/spares with room to spare. There is also a fold down shelf that is super handy and out of the way when loaded.

PVC gas jug holder

PVC boot rack

Well played, I like the gas holder, boot holder, and most importantly the beer opener.
12/7/2015 6:38am
BMR179 wrote:
Here's a few pics of my setup. 14', carries 3 bikes and all gear/spares with room to spare. There is also a fold down shelf that...

PVC gas jug holder

PVC boot rack

that boot holder..........
why the holes in the PVC? is there actually a vent on the outside wall of the trailer so that as you drive down the road fresh air is being forced into the boots?
OR Racer46
Fantasy
876th
12/7/2015 6:49am
Pit Possie. Makes a lot of nice parts for trailers. May check them out .
mjr119
12/7/2015 6:58am
BMR179 wrote:

PVC gas jug holder

PVC boot rack

that boot holder.......... why the holes in the PVC? is there actually a vent on the outside wall of the trailer so that as you drive...
why the holes in the PVC? is there actually a vent on the outside wall of the trailer so that as you drive down the road fresh air is being forced into the boots?
Well we all hope so, dont we???
12/7/2015 6:58am
Hey guys I just bought a new 6X12 enclosed trailer for supercross, it's a single axel which I know isn't ideal but the price was pretty...
Hey guys I just bought a new 6X12 enclosed trailer for supercross, it's a single axel which I know isn't ideal but the price was pretty good. I will be taking 3 bikes with me to every race. Just wanted to see if anyone had any good ideas about how to set one up?

I was thinking about putting the bikes towards the back and then up front maybe a standing small tool box where I can put extra parts.

ive got the same trailer. here is what I have learned so far.

1. you need to install or have some jacks on the bottom of the back end. if its not hooked up to the truck and you walk in the back the whole thing will tilt. hopefully there is no incline/decline when that happen cause the thing will start rolling. I just have an old bottle jack I use but you could easily find a scissor jack and bolt it to the bottom.

2. get a SPARE TIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. double up you gas expenses. although I have found keeping it between 55-65 does help. I will also stay in behind semi trucks as much as possible. when I do that I can get real close to the same millage I get with no trailer.

4. having multiple bikes in there and straps going everywhere gets annoying. if you know for sure you will always have the 3 bikes get some of the bike shoes or the lock and loads from risk racing. that was you aren't high stepping and twisting your body all over the place when you need to get in and grab something.

5. floor is 3/4 plywood if you bolt anything down to the floor use a backing plate on the underside.

between 3 bikes and all those gear bags its still gonna be a little tight, take your time and load things in different ways and see what works best.

sybro
12/7/2015 7:55am

do yourself a favor and do not use tie down straps. An etrack and attach the bike by the peg

I prefer the 'bike stand under'' method so it doesn't compress the suspension.

kaptkaos
12/7/2015 8:10am
You can definitely do way better than you did with just the truck. That looks like a nightmare, you cant even stop to take a piss or eat without having someone watch the truck, and forget about rain....

Dont get confident with the security of a box trailer and park out at hotels overnight cause they will jack the whole rig. Make sure you install good security on truck and trailer. You can get alarmed on your phone nowadays if the thing gets opened or moved. You have good suggestions already. I was going to say build a bench in the front and put the shelves high. Best thing I put in mine was a Fantastic Fan in the ceiling.Plan for dirty gear as well. If youre travelling long distance, take TWO spares! These things have such a tendency to get flats. You need good tires, and you need to check air pressure every day. Low air pressure is biggest reason for tires blowing up. Carry spare hubs and since you are single axle you will need to carry a good jack. With a tandem you dont need to carry jack, which saves a lot of space and weight. We just use the same blocks we use when we jack up and level the trailer. I usually put the coolers in the bed of the truck, sometimes the gas as well if we run out of room in trailer.

You need some mats and chairs, an EZUP and a good broom!
racer369
12/7/2015 8:19am
Get TWO, 2 spare tires. NOT ONE! And make sure you have a small jack and tire tool to fit the lug nuts.
Greg726
12/7/2015 8:20am

This is my 6 x 12 cargo trailer.
I had the floor and roof rhino lined.
Built the bench and cabinets up front.
Its set up to haul 3 bikes
Fold down bench/bed.

racer369
12/7/2015 12:01pm
Also pack the wheel bearings. Never enough grease in them new. May have buddy bearings cap that just take a grease gun to lube
IceMan446
12/7/2015 12:33pm
DONT do the E-track unless you plan on using it to haul other items.

Get the Risk racing lock-n- loads.

I also like this setup

Bolt It On
BMR179
Fantasy
1263rd
12/7/2015 1:50pm
that boot holder.......... why the holes in the PVC? is there actually a vent on the outside wall of the trailer so that as you drive...
Hehehe...I thought about it, but no. Would have to filter the air to keep dust, dirt and road grime out of the boots. I didn't have the effort at the time.
12/7/2015 3:12pm
Awesome thanks for all the help so far. What I think I'm going to do is go the generator way though it will be a little cheaper for me and I have a few friends that are electricians that will help me wire it all up. Other than driving slow and behind semi trucks is there any way to get better gas mileage with a tundra? If I drive at 70 it wants to stay one gear lower and be reved up the whole time which kills it.

colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
12/7/2015 3:20pm Edited Date/Time 12/7/2015 3:25pm
Awesome thanks for all the help so far. What I think I'm going to do is go the generator way though it will be a little...
Awesome thanks for all the help so far. What I think I'm going to do is go the generator way though it will be a little cheaper for me and I have a few friends that are electricians that will help me wire it all up. Other than driving slow and behind semi trucks is there any way to get better gas mileage with a tundra? If I drive at 70 it wants to stay one gear lower and be reved up the whole time which kills it.

As far as the transmission dropping down, step down your tire size.
For some good fuel economy tips, head over to ecomodder.com
I'd be typing all day and not tell you everything you need to know.

While I'm spamming for other forums, you might wanna hit up expeditionportal.com
It's full of Toyota and land rover elitist but there's some good info regarding wiring, fuel economy, suspension, and packing up/hauling
philG
12/7/2015 3:51pm
Buy some big locks and chains , and dont sticker it up.. buy banners to hang on it when you are at the track, travel stealth.. its the future.
lumpy790
12/7/2015 3:59pm
love the PVC and 2 stroke piston ideas!
j368
12/7/2015 6:50pm

Before

After

IceMan446
12/7/2015 6:55pm
J368...Nice setup on the bench and cabinets.

Did you make them yourself?
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
12/7/2015 7:00pm
j368 wrote:
Before [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/12/07/114410/s1200_image.jpg[/img] After [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/12/07/114411/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

Before

After

That is a nice setup. How does the three bike sit?
12/7/2015 7:19pm
I have a 6x12 as well, but not a v-nose.

The only way I was able to fit 3 bikes and still have room for other things was to load them sideways. Since I knew I wouldn't always be hauling three bikes, I went with the removable wheel chocks from Pit Posse. I still have room for two gear bags and a tool box up front via the man door and there is a good amount of space still available in the back. For lighting, I went with some circlular LED lights with magnetic pieces on the back from Lowes that I stick on the roof. A 3 pack was around $20 bucks and they've been going strong for a year now.

Post a reply to: help setting up a trailer

The Latest