help me settle an argument

B DUB 333
7/18/2018 7:30am
Myke wrote:
Maybe not for sports but he will be able to fly military aircraft as most is begining to be flown remotely.
Doddy wrote:
It's no secret why they seek out and recruit good gamers of certain genres. Dunno why you got a thumbs down for being correct haha. Hell...
It's no secret why they seek out and recruit good gamers of certain genres. Dunno why you got a thumbs down for being correct haha. Hell, even the U.S. Army made/published their own public video game and uses it to train with.

Anyway, video games absolutely can help improve hand eye coordination.
Is this for real? If it is what game? And I question the military for doing it, I'm not sure prepping kids for war at ten is ethical. Not that the govt. Is ethical ever, how about a game where you stop a war? I'm not a hippie but Jesus, after watching wwII in color , talking to Vietnam vets, etc. wars are nasty shit, and it's always young kids, we should send old crabby bastards like me, not kids just getting started in life! I already hate everyone and everything, just gotta piss like ten times a day, twenty times at night.
shirey
Fantasy
4110th
7/18/2018 7:33am
I’m not going to to say that video games help with hand eye. I think if you are good then you are good, sure you can work on it but some people just pulled the short straw. Video games probably aren’t helpful for motor skills but I think they help with being able to think quickly. Especially if you are trying to play wagers or any kind of competitive. For reference I played baseball in college and probably played video games 3 or 4 hours every night.
B DUB 333
7/18/2018 7:33am
731chopper wrote:
I have a feeling you’re really going to lose your shit when you find out how much money can be made playing video games competitively.
I have a feeling you’re really going to lose your shit when you find out how much money can be made playing video games competitively.
Yes. Yes I will, where does he "make money"....
B DUB 333
7/18/2018 7:36am
I agree it helps with decision making, and maybe even weapons knowledge, he made me watch one the other day and they had actual guns, H&K, Browning, Colt, FN, etc. It was cool in that respect

The Shop

ktmdan
7/18/2018 7:51am
I attended a lecture by Andy Walshe (former Red Bull director of human performance). He talked about how the military was studying the psychology behind professional gamers and their ability to make important lightening fast decisions with potentially adverse outcomes. I don't think they'd be spending that much time and money if there weren't something to it. I also think that skill is a huge part of mx.

Buuuut, yeah, get outside, get dirty, get into trouble. You shouldn't play video games all day long.

I don't think he talks about that in this video below but it's entertaining nonetheless. He talks about Robbie Maddison's NYE jump.

https://vimeo.com/150102639
Question
7/18/2018 7:52am
Coordination I am really not sure as most here agreed, but if simulators are used for F1 and WRC drivers (even aircraft pilots but that example if quite different), I really think it can slightly help on working on lines selection, bike pre set up (if the game if good at that), and overall speed for the eye / less scared on jumps.

I mean, it can't hurt much anyways to stay 100% focus on bike, IF all the training & diet efforts are done.

Parallel activities that I feel could help more than gaming after the traditional 3h bike/2h cycling/1h gym training/day:
engineering/testing class: 1 hour a day ("relax activity")
marketing/PR class: 1 hour a day ("relax activity")
yoga: 30 min a day ("relax activity")
karting, pitbikes or supermoto on karting tracks, dirt track: 1 hour a day ("relax activity")
swimming: 30 min to 1 hour a day,
climbing: 1 hour every 2 days
bmx of course: 1 hour every 2 days
trial especially on a bicycle, enduro, jetski: 1 hour a day
+ ski/dh training in altitude during holidays

If all those activities are practiced with people who are competitive on these fields, I think it can help.

Then after all this is done you can tell your kid he can relax on gaming 1 hour after dinner Smile
JBecker 72
7/18/2018 7:52am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2018 7:58am
731chopper wrote:
B DUB 333 wrote:
Professional gamers have contracts and sponsors just like other sports and activities. They also make money playing tournaments. CS:GO tournaments have $1M purses all the time with the winning team getting $400k of that.

Edit: and if you saw how much some Twitch streamers are pulling down a month your jaw would hit the floor.
shirey
Fantasy
4110th
7/18/2018 7:54am
731chopper wrote:
B DUB 333 wrote:
There are tons of streamers who are paid through gaming companies or teams such as luminosity, 100 thieves, tsm, and faze. These people stream usually via twitch. They make I believe 3.50$ per subscriber and ninja who is the current most popular stream just got sponsored by redbull. He has promoted his stream by playing with celebrities primarily in the music industry as well as several pro athletes. The most famous of which being Drake. They also make a lot of money by donations. For example ninja has 400,000 ish subscribers I think. So that’s 400,000 tines 3.5 dollars that must be re subscribed monthly as well as endorsements from redbull and thousands in donations daily. I watch a small streamer nightly who has 1500 followers and he games for what appears to be a modest living.
jaredkeller96
7/18/2018 7:58am
MR. X wrote:
Some narrow minded people here today , try opening a 100,000 pound die on a self centering overhead crane with 2 hoist . Now add to...
Some narrow minded people here today , try opening a 100,000 pound die on a self centering overhead crane with 2 hoist . Now add to the equation the die isn't balanced properly and you have to float North or south while operating both hoists. I'd say coordination might come into play.

Absolutely, I use to work at Subaru in Indiana. I was in blanking, 22 years old running 35k pound rolls of steel through the air all day long, was quite good at it. Also did blanking dies and a few 64k pound injection molds, but the tool and die guys are crazy for the stuff they do when they need to flip a die over. Pretty cool stuff
7/18/2018 8:08am
Who gives a shit? Are you happy with your kid or trying to teach him a lesson? Playing video games might get the concept down, and does increase hand-eye coordination, but not much of that translates to the “real world” unless he has the physical abilities.

Having a shoot off, he may or may not be more accurate. But seeing as how he’s a kid and you aren’t, I’m willing to bet he will struggle to hold the Scar-H up. Maybe benchrest he will outshoot you, but standing, I highly doubt it, hand-eye coordination or not.
B DUB 333
7/18/2018 8:10am
Wow! There was 45 dudes bringing in a million or more, that's WAY better than moto! I doubt there is over ten to fifteen dudes making seven figures world wide. OK, I'll take a look again, if he can make some scratch it's a whole new deal-
JBecker 72
7/18/2018 8:12am
731chopper wrote:
B DUB 333 wrote:
Wow! There was 45 dudes bringing in a million or more, that's WAY better than moto! I doubt there is over ten to fifteen dudes making...
Wow! There was 45 dudes bringing in a million or more, that's WAY better than moto! I doubt there is over ten to fifteen dudes making seven figures world wide. OK, I'll take a look again, if he can make some scratch it's a whole new deal-
ESports is getting huge. There have been a few tournaments that pulled in higher ratings than a game 7 NBA Final.
B DUB 333
7/18/2018 8:14am
Who gives a shit? Are you happy with your kid or trying to teach him a lesson? Playing video games might get the concept down, and...
Who gives a shit? Are you happy with your kid or trying to teach him a lesson? Playing video games might get the concept down, and does increase hand-eye coordination, but not much of that translates to the “real world” unless he has the physical abilities.

Having a shoot off, he may or may not be more accurate. But seeing as how he’s a kid and you aren’t, I’m willing to bet he will struggle to hold the Scar-H up. Maybe benchrest he will outshoot you, but standing, I highly doubt it, hand-eye coordination or not.
He's actually a decent shot, we will use a bench, and yes I am VERY happy with him, I just cringe when he's nerding out screaming at the tv- he's arguing that games are just as good as say playing catch with the old man for hand eye co-ordination, that's how this started. I want him riding, throwing, running more. I'll still let him play kind you, I just don't believe you'll gain any physical attributes using ps4
B DUB 333
7/18/2018 8:16am
731chopper wrote:
B DUB 333 wrote:
Wow! There was 45 dudes bringing in a million or more, that's WAY better than moto! I doubt there is over ten to fifteen dudes making...
JBecker 72 wrote:
ESports is getting huge. There have been a few tournaments that pulled in higher ratings than a game 7 NBA Final.
OK. I am WAY out of touch then.
JBecker 72
7/18/2018 8:30am
B DUB 333 wrote:
JBecker 72 wrote:
B DUB 333 wrote:
OK. I am WAY out of touch then.
There are tournaments that pull 18k fans in the arena and 30 million streaming online.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
7/18/2018 8:51am
Myke wrote:
Maybe not for sports but he will be able to fly military aircraft as most is begining to be flown remotely.
Looks real close to a video game to me when they show them controling it.

https://youtu.be/okgTxD4DDuM

kkawboy14
7/18/2018 9:08am
Brushing your teeth helps more with hand eye coordination than video games!

Baseball
Racquetball
Frisbee
Tennis
Tetherball
These things help real world hand eye coordination
psg119
7/18/2018 9:32am
Kind of a darker example and I don't know how true it is but I have heard the Columbine kids were addicted to first person shooter video games and had little to no experience with firearms but were making shots any normal person would have trouble making. Could have had something to do with their coordination, could not have. Sad to say but something I think every parent should be aware of. Video games can alter a reality in a young mind I believe. Tell him to go outside and have fun and get a girlfriend or something. Or a gym membership. Or cast a lure right where you want it... thats a pretty great feeling haha. Live yo life
B DUB 333
7/18/2018 9:48am
psg119 wrote:
Kind of a darker example and I don't know how true it is but I have heard the Columbine kids were addicted to first person shooter...
Kind of a darker example and I don't know how true it is but I have heard the Columbine kids were addicted to first person shooter video games and had little to no experience with firearms but were making shots any normal person would have trouble making. Could have had something to do with their coordination, could not have. Sad to say but something I think every parent should be aware of. Video games can alter a reality in a young mind I believe. Tell him to go outside and have fun and get a girlfriend or something. Or a gym membership. Or cast a lure right where you want it... thats a pretty great feeling haha. Live yo life
I worry about this, do video games take away our self control, or thoughts, about taking a life? I like to believe kids know video game violence is just that, a game, but what if idesensitization is a real thing? I mean it's a scary thought. Another thing that's happened is kids don't play sports games as much anymore, from what I can tell the shooting, war games are all the rage. Do they have big contests with say mx games? Or NHL? Or is it just the killing games? By the way, thank you to everyone. I've learned a lot and although I still believe a few laps on the track will do more than a hundred hours of fortnite, I can kind of see the attraction now.
Donovan759
7/18/2018 9:57am
B DUB 333 wrote:
I worry about this, do video games take away our self control, or thoughts, about taking a life? I like to believe kids know video game...
I worry about this, do video games take away our self control, or thoughts, about taking a life? I like to believe kids know video game violence is just that, a game, but what if idesensitization is a real thing? I mean it's a scary thought. Another thing that's happened is kids don't play sports games as much anymore, from what I can tell the shooting, war games are all the rage. Do they have big contests with say mx games? Or NHL? Or is it just the killing games? By the way, thank you to everyone. I've learned a lot and although I still believe a few laps on the track will do more than a hundred hours of fortnite, I can kind of see the attraction now.
I appreciate that even though you're pretty set in your beliefs, you still listen and internalize what others are saying. You're a good dad and it seems like you genuinely care about learning more about your kid and making sure he's living the best life he can live.
Gilby122
7/18/2018 10:05am
I just got the best time in my state on "freak out" on madskillsmx.
psg119
7/18/2018 10:24am
B DUB 333 wrote:
I worry about this, do video games take away our self control, or thoughts, about taking a life? I like to believe kids know video game...
When I was younger Mx vs ATV Untamed used to have online Supercross seasons and gave away prizes to the top finishers at the end of the season if I remember correctly (I never made it that far haha). But that was fun. Not sure if they do it anymore. I still have the old xbox 360 with no LIVE. You obviously care about your kid and seems like you're doing your best to raise him right and playing an active roll in his life so I'm sure he will be fine. It's hard to say for other kids that don't have parents like you though. To me it sounds like you're doing a great job in taking interest in your boys life. Good on you.
7/18/2018 10:42am
B DUB 333 wrote:
I don’t believe so. More of how they are brought up and such. Of course, kids shouldn’t be playing every waking minute; then it’s an addiction. But if he is playing with friends or himself and having fun, I see no wrong. I play fortnite occasionally when my friends are and we have fun. It’s cartoonish, but it’s competitive and has it’s moments.

If violent videogames are what cause violence, then shouldn’t MX games cause better skills on track? I don’t think they do in either case. Plenty of kids play Grand Theft Auto or Call of Duty and there is a very small percentage that actually harm or kill anyone. Most normal people don’t go into the game reenacting or getting kicks off it. When I was in my teens and played CoD with friends, we would play to win, not to just kill some simulated people. More often then not, someone has to be mentally disturbed and have issues before the videogames. Those are the people that shouldn’t play or be anywhere in public for that matter.
jjavaman
Fantasy
3765th
7/18/2018 10:46am
psg119 wrote:
Kind of a darker example and I don't know how true it is but I have heard the Columbine kids were addicted to first person shooter...
B DUB 333 wrote:
I personally don’t believe a video game is going to turn anyone into a killer. If you’re going to do shit like that, I believe that it’s got a lot more to do with upbringing,home life etc. I just watched the EA sports nhl2018 finals in Vegas on tv!
As for hand eye coordination, how can it not help? Don’t get me wrong, kids(well everybody) needs to spend time outdoors living life, it all helps make rounded human beings!
When my son was in high school, he played a lot of DOD, a WW2 shooter, entered into tournaments actually made some money at it but he still played baseball and soccer. He had a buddy who at 19 turned into a professional gamer. He was a ace at Counter Strike, just unbelievable. He was making a 6 figure salary and bonuses, they had a draft for teams at the playboy mansion! Unfortunately he got old, and lost the reflexes needed to play at the top level. The kids still play and “own” public servers when they play on them, they were that good.
I guess what I’m trying to say is unless the kid is gaming 24/7 and neglecting everything else you have a problem, if not and he’s a good kid and doing things with you welcome to the teenage years!
braaap707
7/18/2018 11:01am
I think it does help hand eye coordination. I know a few of the euro mx teams have their riders play MXGP to be able to understand the next track they will be riding but its not to make them a better rider.I feel racing games in general MXGP, MX vs ATV, Moto GP, RIDE, Dirt ( Rallycross), Forza, Grand toursimo all can make you sharper for the real thing but its probably very minimal. Not a gun game kinda person so not sure about that kinda stuff. Im just talking racing games vs reality of racing but I do think there is a little cross over.
gabrielito
7/18/2018 11:33am
video games are really fun and intense if you gamble on them. Even 10 bucks on a game changes the whole dynamic.
kage173
7/18/2018 11:51am
I saw a post one time of a guy who made his kid stand on a balance board in the garage while playing. So, he was outside, getting exercise, building balance and coordination while doing it.

kkawboy14
7/18/2018 11:54am
psg119 wrote:
B DUB 333 wrote:
jjavaman wrote:
I personally don’t believe a video game is going to turn anyone into a killer. If you’re going to do shit like that, I believe that...
I personally don’t believe a video game is going to turn anyone into a killer. If you’re going to do shit like that, I believe that it’s got a lot more to do with upbringing,home life etc. I just watched the EA sports nhl2018 finals in Vegas on tv!
As for hand eye coordination, how can it not help? Don’t get me wrong, kids(well everybody) needs to spend time outdoors living life, it all helps make rounded human beings!
When my son was in high school, he played a lot of DOD, a WW2 shooter, entered into tournaments actually made some money at it but he still played baseball and soccer. He had a buddy who at 19 turned into a professional gamer. He was a ace at Counter Strike, just unbelievable. He was making a 6 figure salary and bonuses, they had a draft for teams at the playboy mansion! Unfortunately he got old, and lost the reflexes needed to play at the top level. The kids still play and “own” public servers when they play on them, they were that good.
I guess what I’m trying to say is unless the kid is gaming 24/7 and neglecting everything else you have a problem, if not and he’s a good kid and doing things with you welcome to the teenage years!
If a kid plays 6 hours a day of video games, he has a jacked up family life.
We aren’t talking about Mario Brothers, these video games nowadays make war sexy!
If a kid becomes addicted to these messed up video games it can suck the life out of them, if the life is sucked out of anyone, they care a lot less about someone else’s life!

Post a reply to: help me settle an argument

The Latest