helmet to helmet communication

Titan1
1/25/2018 2:14pm
Does anyone have any experience with helmet to helmet communication?

Ideally, I'd like something that doesn't have to be permanently attached to the helmet (some I've seen have to be screwed to the helmet), and is easily installed and removed so I can use it with multiple helmets.

I'm mostly interested in it for when I ride with my son, so we can communicate (he's 7 and just getting started...and out in the desert it would be nice to be able to talk to him)....but I'd also use it on group rides with buddies (which is why I'd like one that can be installed and removed very easily).

Long range would be nice, but isn't a huge deal and I know off road, no matter the range, get a mountain or hill between the riders and the communication goes away anyway.

I'd appreciate any info...and product recommendations.
|
Utrider
Fantasy
1501st
1/25/2018 2:33pm
Titan, I have used Sena communicators for the past 8 years or so.

They use Bluetooth to communicate and work well over shortish distances. Up to 500 ft or so very reliably. You can use a "clamp on mount" that is easily removable. I have mounts on my various helmets, and just transfer the unit from helmet to helmet as needed. The mount itself is fairly low profile.

The one I use currently is called a 10c. It has a helmet cam built into it, as well as being able to pair it to my phone for music or calls if I want. Most of the group I ride with uses these and they are fairly robust. There are other less expensive "knock off" types out there, but I have no experience with them.

To use them as you would like, when my wife was learning to ride out at Cherry Creek we were able to communicate with each other and I could let her know how to handle things coming up on the trail, so it does work for that.
Acidreamer
1/25/2018 2:37pm
I use a sena for street riding. It costs $250 so ive never taken it on the track. They make cheaper ones though. Im not sure if you can leave your phone in your truck and go ride without it disconnecting.
Katoomey
1/25/2018 5:07pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 5:09pm
This should be able to answer some questions. Intercom website one thing I will say is that I've messed around with many a intercom and I've never came across one that could be swapped back and forth between easily. The installation isn't real complex or anything, but most of them go under your liner, or are taped or fastened to the shell, ect... just little things that might make swapping take a few minutes or require extra tape or whatnot every time you do it.

The thing to do is buy extra components so the only thing you move back and forth is the actual unit.
PEPE001
1/25/2018 5:40pm
I used those with my Son!
Easy to install and about $ 120.
Max. distance about 200 yards line of sight.

Intercom

The Shop

oceantrav
1/25/2018 5:52pm
Ive been using a Sena SMH10 for about 2 years now for Moto. Works great for listening to music while I ride, ill even take a call sometimes. Haven't paired with anyone though. Durability it has been great. People always asking for what it is.
Titan1
1/26/2018 8:26am
Right on! Thanks for the direction. I’ll look into those. Much appreciated.
1/26/2018 8:55am
I tried the SENA units and didn't find them to be useful for off-road operations. They would cut out when separated by 100 feet or so. I switched to the UCLEAR unit and like it better. Works for longer distances and easy to swap between helmets. SENA wasn't much help with the problem either.
Potts
1/26/2018 12:40pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2018 12:44pm
skid mark wrote:
Some friends use Rugged Radios when they go to Baja and large group rides. seems like they have good range. 1-2 miles maybe more if clear...
Some friends use Rugged Radios when they go to Baja and large group rides. seems like they have good range. 1-2 miles maybe more if clear of trees and canyons
https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=special_categories&cPa…

Probably not the lightest
For off road racing (Baja and Best In The Desert) I have been using a system that uses a 5 watt radio with the speakers and mic that slips into your helmet without any drilling. There are a few companies that sell these and they are all basically the same. Rugged Radios, PCI radios. There are probably others but the two I mentioned are all proven and work well and offer quality kits. Also... you will need to mount a push to talk button on your handlebars and these can be as simple a a velcro strap button to a hard mount button.

Remember that these are line of sight so the range varies wildly based on the terrain you are in. The 1 to 2 mile range mentioned by Skid Mark would be in ideal conditions. It is awesome to be able to communicate with your friends while you are riding!!
Muzzle
1/26/2018 12:47pm
Titan1 wrote:
Right on! Thanks for the direction. I’ll look into those. Much appreciated.
DJ, I have a Sena SMH10 I can show you if you like.

Post a reply to: helmet to helmet communication

The Latest