hardest rider to work for

moto0852
5/24/2017 3:58pm
I can say this and from personal experience that James knows what he wants! He is not difficult to please but does want the best out...
I can say this and from personal experience that James knows what he wants! He is not difficult to please but does want the best out of his team, DEFINITELY James CAN dissect a bike. He is very picky with who he has around him. He has worked with the best in the industry and not many people will say what Bones said if that's what he said, I haven't heard that interview just yet...not too mention James was a young buck back when they worked together. Riders styles and aggression change with every year of racing and most riders don't know what kind of baseline settings they want going into a season, so to be able to dissect a bike by yourself at this level is pretty hard to do. Today the industry is filled with technology to dissect the bikes or riders faults! We didn't have that kinda technology data 10 years ago

That goes without saying that almost every rider I've been around over the years has been the exact same way. I've seen many riders throw some pretty big fits on and off the bike. It's hard to not become a hot head at some point in your carreer racing bikes. it's a pressure industry to win and if you're not winning you are on the hot seat. Sometimes you just scratch your head wondering why you can't make up tenths of a second with all the work you've done to get there. It's very frustrating for riders and teams. More so in supercross than outdoors.

Look at the riders that have signed big deals to only be cut short, those are the riders that were probably hard to either work with or just didn't show up with a commitment level that the team wanted!

Maybe another question would be, what teams are hardest to work with?
I don't know James or you but I'm going to go ahead and believe JBone and pretty much everyone else in the industry over you on James being completely lost on bike settings.

I will grant you...if you want a setting that washes the front end out and puts you on the ground James has that down!
Sodipop
5/24/2017 4:03pm
I can say this and from personal experience that James knows what he wants! He is not difficult to please but does want the best out...
I can say this and from personal experience that James knows what he wants! He is not difficult to please but does want the best out of his team, DEFINITELY James CAN dissect a bike. He is very picky with who he has around him. He has worked with the best in the industry and not many people will say what Bones said if that's what he said, I haven't heard that interview just yet...not too mention James was a young buck back when they worked together. Riders styles and aggression change with every year of racing and most riders don't know what kind of baseline settings they want going into a season, so to be able to dissect a bike by yourself at this level is pretty hard to do. Today the industry is filled with technology to dissect the bikes or riders faults! We didn't have that kinda technology data 10 years ago

That goes without saying that almost every rider I've been around over the years has been the exact same way. I've seen many riders throw some pretty big fits on and off the bike. It's hard to not become a hot head at some point in your carreer racing bikes. it's a pressure industry to win and if you're not winning you are on the hot seat. Sometimes you just scratch your head wondering why you can't make up tenths of a second with all the work you've done to get there. It's very frustrating for riders and teams. More so in supercross than outdoors.

Look at the riders that have signed big deals to only be cut short, those are the riders that were probably hard to either work with or just didn't show up with a commitment level that the team wanted!

Maybe another question would be, what teams are hardest to work with?
moto0852 wrote:
I don't know James or you but I'm going to go ahead and believe JBone and pretty much everyone else in the industry over you on...
I don't know James or you but I'm going to go ahead and believe JBone and pretty much everyone else in the industry over you on James being completely lost on bike settings.

I will grant you...if you want a setting that washes the front end out and puts you on the ground James has that down!
Yeah but with the exception of Justin Brayton, nobody could get that bike to work and james is probably the hardest person to set a bike up for
Sully
5/24/2017 4:17pm
doofy wrote:
Ive heard in interviews pichone (sp) and reed. What made me want to post this was listening to j bones on pulp talk about js7 and...
Ive heard in interviews pichone (sp) and reed.

What made me want to post this was listening to j bones on pulp talk about js7 and how he couldn't dissect a bike at all and was impossible to please, always the bikes fault.

Pichone same basically. They said hed get tired n fade then bag on the bike. Who ya got?
Here's an answer to a question I asked about Reed in Dave Osterman's Q&A from a few years ago:

Sully wrote:
Thanks for doing this, Ozzy.

We've all read stories about how picky (if that's the right word) Chad is about bike set up. What I'm curious about is how good is he at verbalizing the changes he wants? Can he pinpoint what he wants changed, or does/did he give you guys a general direction and you had to run from there?

Ozzy wrote:
Thx!
Yes, Chad was & is picky.
I used to compare him to Broc Glover in the way they were both involved totally with their bikes. Right or wrong!
There's always that point of to much or to little but at the end of the day, Chad was usually in the neighborhood of what he was after.
Even getting lost at times improves the breed.
It's ALL about making the rider happy.
Experienced riders know more.
They know what's possible so they're not afraid to ask or request things.
Being the Captain of his own ship gave Chad the freedom to question most everything. That came from owning his own team.
Johnny Ringo
5/24/2017 5:57pm
Tyler Evans

You meant hard in the street sense, right? That guy was hood

The Shop

MattyVicious
Fantasy
314th
5/24/2017 7:35pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2017 7:45pm
doofy wrote:
Ive heard in interviews pichone (sp) and reed. What made me want to post this was listening to j bones on pulp talk about js7 and...

What made me want to post this was listening to j bones on pulp talk about js7 and how he couldn't dissect a bike at all and was impossible to please, always the bikes fault.

Pichone same basically. They said hed get tired n fade then bag on the bike. Who ya got?
Lots of interesting things in this thread.
Crush
5/24/2017 8:50pm
doofy wrote:

Sully wrote:
Here's an answer to a question I asked about Reed in Dave Osterman's Q&A from a few years ago: [i]Sully wrote:[/i] Thanks for doing this, Ozzy...
Here's an answer to a question I asked about Reed in Dave Osterman's Q&A from a few years ago:

Sully wrote:
Thanks for doing this, Ozzy.

We've all read stories about how picky (if that's the right word) Chad is about bike set up. What I'm curious about is how good is he at verbalizing the changes he wants? Can he pinpoint what he wants changed, or does/did he give you guys a general direction and you had to run from there?

Ozzy wrote:
Thx!
Yes, Chad was & is picky.
I used to compare him to Broc Glover in the way they were both involved totally with their bikes. Right or wrong!
There's always that point of to much or to little but at the end of the day, Chad was usually in the neighborhood of what he was after.
Even getting lost at times improves the breed.
It's ALL about making the rider happy.
Experienced riders know more.
They know what's possible so they're not afraid to ask or request things.
Being the Captain of his own ship gave Chad the freedom to question most everything. That came from owning his own team.
You could easily say that regardless of his results, Chad's bike usually looks pretty good... balanced, doesn't do weird shit... he has a very forward to neutral riding style and generally rides how you should.

Dungey is similar but maybe sits more and has better flat corners.

Interesting with RV and James is how they went warp speed with setups that were probably only rideable by them... James especially. I truly think if he had never fucked with his Suzuki from 2012 outdoors and 2013 Sx he'd have been better off... it just gradually got sacked out...
rancor19
5/25/2017 3:26am
This is interesting.
As a guy that always had to just get used to the bike, I'm curious if any of you could give specific examples of what a top rider might ask for.
Like, would he say "This thing won't turn, can we get or make some clamps that are x millimeters back and leave the bars where they are" or whatever?
Sorry if this sounds stupid. I'm just wondering what they might ask for and how an actual conversation like that might go.

Post a reply to: hardest rider to work for

The Latest