factory teams running throttle return cables?

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/7/2014 5:52pm
Evolution is at work here, gang. It just hasn't played out yet for two of our members.

I see potential Darwin awards in their futures.
velocitygear
3/7/2014 5:58pm
GuyB wrote:
Evolution is at work here, gang. It just hasn't played out yet for two of our members.

I see potential Darwin awards in their futures.
The all knowing... Thinking you're not very much fun anymore! Cast elsewhere, please!
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/7/2014 6:04pm
The all knowing... Thinking you're not very much fun anymore! Cast elsewhere, please!
Me casting?

Right.

Dude, you have issues.

The Shop

velocitygear
3/7/2014 6:37pm
GuyB wrote:
Me casting?

Right.

Dude, you have issues.
Dude totally! Thinking you wouldn't know a midvalve from a muffler bearing.. Just say'in...

I personally don't appreciate your jabs, regardless of what you think you know, or otherwise.

Thanks..
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/7/2014 7:03pm
Fortunately, I do recognize posters that we can do without. Congratulations. You're tonight's big winner. Smile
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/7/2014 7:19pm
Ha! Sometimes you have to help evolution along. Smile
steve_97060
3/7/2014 7:37pm
Bob, tell him what he's won! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/03/07/47674/s1200_a1a.jpg[/img]
Bob, tell him what he's won!

funny shit right there..
3/7/2014 8:58pm
I have been riding 4 stroke street bikes since 1976. They did not have return cables back then nor did they have any problems
back then. My first 4 stroke dirt bike a 1996 KTM 620rxc did not have a return cable and it did not stick. Nor did my 2006 TE 510 stick after removing the return cable. Same result with my 350 ktm.. THE RETURN CABLE WAS INSTALLED FOR LIABILITY REASONS.
yz414
3/7/2014 9:10pm
when will we see fly by wire throttles? it cant be far away
BobPA
3/7/2014 9:13pm
I have been riding 4 stroke street bikes since 1976. They did not have return cables back then nor did they have any problems back then...
I have been riding 4 stroke street bikes since 1976. They did not have return cables back then nor did they have any problems
back then. My first 4 stroke dirt bike a 1996 KTM 620rxc did not have a return cable and it did not stick. Nor did my 2006 TE 510 stick after removing the return cable. Same result with my 350 ktm.. THE RETURN CABLE WAS INSTALLED FOR LIABILITY REASONS.
But why take the chance of a stuck throttle for 5 ounces?

Fresh cables and proper routing make the difference in resistance so minuscule that there is no reason for it....
silver753
3/7/2014 9:20pm
I have been riding 4 stroke street bikes since 1976. They did not have return cables back then nor did they have any problems back then...
You got it, LIABILITY. Let say without a return cable, you have .01% chance of having a sticky throttle, would you do it? If you have a return cable you have zero. (All things equal, no crashing, no dirt, cables adjusted correctly, ect....).

You fools should think about taking your crossbar pad off your bars. You know, your uncle ran it for years in the 70's, 80's, and 90's and never smashed his teeth out. You could save weight and be more aerodynamic! You know, you only have a .01% of knocking all your teeth out, so you might as well do it.

If there is .01% chance of a motorcycle mfg having a throttle stick, they will do everything to prevent it. You know why your XR100 doesn't have one? Because it pulls as much air as your own lungs do.

For everyone who says you can ride without one, you are correct. Go ahead and unhook your return cable, just don't cry when you are the one in 100,000 who has a throttle stick and you crash and your femur sticks our of your pants sideways.
mxfuture307
3/7/2014 9:56pm
silver753 wrote:
You got it, LIABILITY. Let say without a return cable, you have .01% chance of having a sticky throttle, would you do it? If you have...
You got it, LIABILITY. Let say without a return cable, you have .01% chance of having a sticky throttle, would you do it? If you have a return cable you have zero. (All things equal, no crashing, no dirt, cables adjusted correctly, ect....).

You fools should think about taking your crossbar pad off your bars. You know, your uncle ran it for years in the 70's, 80's, and 90's and never smashed his teeth out. You could save weight and be more aerodynamic! You know, you only have a .01% of knocking all your teeth out, so you might as well do it.

If there is .01% chance of a motorcycle mfg having a throttle stick, they will do everything to prevent it. You know why your XR100 doesn't have one? Because it pulls as much air as your own lungs do.

For everyone who says you can ride without one, you are correct. Go ahead and unhook your return cable, just don't cry when you are the one in 100,000 who has a throttle stick and you crash and your femur sticks our of your pants sideways.
Interesting read here.. Just joined and already learning something new ...

Are users commonly deleted off the site? Who is GuyB? Seems like he's click happy?

Yes, I'm new here but have been to as many forums as I can count. Can't say I've seen that kind of clickability before??
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
3/7/2014 11:58pm
Interesting read here.. Just joined and already learning something new ... Are users commonly deleted off the site? Who is GuyB? Seems like he's click happy...

Are users commonly deleted off the site? Who is GuyB? Seems like he's click happy?

Yes, I'm new here but have been to as many forums as I can count. Can't say I've seen that kind of clickability before??

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/8/2014 12:16am
Interesting read here.. Just joined and already learning something new ... Are users commonly deleted off the site? Who is GuyB? Seems like he's click happy...

Vital MX. Now with new and improved clickability. Smile
mxfuture307
3/8/2014 12:20am Edited Date/Time 3/8/2014 12:29am
lostboy819 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/03/07/47702/s1200_82876144.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/03/07/47703/s1200_s200x600_the_20finger.jpg[/img]

Clearly, one of those interweb tough guys! You're the best! Macho, Macho, man!!!
Redrcr34
3/8/2014 7:09am
Bob, tell him what he's won! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/03/07/47674/s1200_a1a.jpg[/img]
Bob, tell him what he's won!

Heh
mx317
3/8/2014 7:33am
Honda CB750 from the early 70s have return throttle cables. Safety is the reason there are return cables. True, it may not happen just like you may not crash, but would you ride without protective gear?
TerryK
3/8/2014 8:28am
Lol, that was the click heard around the world! Too funny!

Nice one Steve! Tongue
TerryK
3/8/2014 8:32am
Oh and PS: return cables are stupid Why the hell the factories spend millions on development just to end up putting useless things like return cables, brake hoses, fuel lines, tires etc etc is beyond me. Its a conspiracy to sell us "new and improved" so they can charge us more money. WTF do the factories know about building motorcycles? I say take all that shit off and ride!
hillbilly
3/8/2014 10:13am
The return cable if for the few that never clean the filter,or get debri in the boot on filter maintenance.

One piece of grit between the slide and slide bore and you are looking for something to stob into.

One year in Florida,86ish,the pre bike week harescramble was held at winter haven.

The course went around a mx track were rider families were along the edges watching.

A cr500 came thru,sand hangs the slide,it runs out from under the rider,loops completely,

Touches down,rear wheel digging again,loops a full flip again,sets down and takes off across track,

Between riders it goes toward a bunch setting with a baby in a stroller,they scatter leaving the kid,

There was a few posts lining the track and that cr500 hits one and it knocks the bike onto its side 5 or 6 feet from that baby,

One of those things you dont forget.
86honda
3/8/2014 10:27am
Uhhh I want to go faster. Can I just remove my brakes? I heard ole Jimmy Stewart dose that. Yea its a worm.
philG
3/8/2014 12:20pm
i raced 40 years, and until we had FI bikes NOTHING had a return cable .....
3/8/2014 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 3/8/2014 12:26pm
I think I understand what you're saying here:

'No return cable' is to 4 stroke as 'purple bower band' is to a two stroke.

Taken directly from the test bank of the 2015 SAT. Study up children.
steve_97060
3/8/2014 12:24pm
TerryK wrote:
Oh and PS: return cables are stupid Why the hell the factories spend millions on development just to end up putting useless things like return cables...
Oh and PS: return cables are stupid Why the hell the factories spend millions on development just to end up putting useless things like return cables, brake hoses, fuel lines, tires etc etc is beyond me. Its a conspiracy to sell us "new and improved" so they can charge us more money. WTF do the factories know about building motorcycles? I say take all that shit off and ride!
hell yeah, that extra cable is useless, just causes unnecessary arm pump, I thought everyone knew that..

another not so well known secret is...... removing 2 of your sprocket bolts, and every 6th spoke..

knocks like 12 ounces of unsprung weight off which is like 13.56 pounds of sprung weight... bamm, you can now go deeper into those 5 lap motos with less arm pump and fatigue..
PressPassP
3/8/2014 1:31pm
Robgvx wrote:
I had a crap mechanic once called Mick Aldous, who decided to cut several coils off my CR500 throttle spring in the misinformed belief that it...
I had a crap mechanic once called Mick Aldous, who decided to cut several coils off my CR500 throttle spring in the misinformed belief that it would make the throttle lighter. All that does is remove the spring pre-load, and if you cut enough off (as he had done) then effectively it means that the slide isn't spring-loaded at all at the bottom of it's travel. So it just bounces.

From what I understand if you cut the spring, and then stretch the spring back out to its original length you effectively end up with a heavier spring I believe. (Less coils in the same length means the spring wire has to move/bend further for the same pull length = heavier rate*). To get a lighter spring you grind the outside of the spring to reduce the wire thickness instead.

(*Please feel free to correct me on that point if that's not exactly true).

Anyway, what I do know is that the throttle partly stuck open into corners and over jumps every time I went out on the track as the slide (with no pre-load on the spring) bounced. Of course, the dumbass mechanic had done this off his own back, without telling me, and so I wasted an entire Saturday at a GP trying to figure out why the throttle was sticking and I was nearly killing myself into every turn.

Twat.
Ha ha,I used to go to all the British GPs and lots of Championship rounds where he'd always be spannering for you,burger etc and there's me thinking he was a bit of a star Laughing
philG
3/8/2014 3:18pm
Robgvx wrote:
I had a crap mechanic once called Mick Aldous, who decided to cut several coils off my CR500 throttle spring in the misinformed belief that it...
I had a crap mechanic once called Mick Aldous, who decided to cut several coils off my CR500 throttle spring in the misinformed belief that it would make the throttle lighter. All that does is remove the spring pre-load, and if you cut enough off (as he had done) then effectively it means that the slide isn't spring-loaded at all at the bottom of it's travel. So it just bounces.

From what I understand if you cut the spring, and then stretch the spring back out to its original length you effectively end up with a heavier spring I believe. (Less coils in the same length means the spring wire has to move/bend further for the same pull length = heavier rate*). To get a lighter spring you grind the outside of the spring to reduce the wire thickness instead.

(*Please feel free to correct me on that point if that's not exactly true).

Anyway, what I do know is that the throttle partly stuck open into corners and over jumps every time I went out on the track as the slide (with no pre-load on the spring) bounced. Of course, the dumbass mechanic had done this off his own back, without telling me, and so I wasted an entire Saturday at a GP trying to figure out why the throttle was sticking and I was nearly killing myself into every turn.

Twat.
PressPassP wrote:
Ha ha,I used to go to all the British GPs and lots of Championship rounds where he'd always be spannering for you,burger etc and there's me...
Ha ha,I used to go to all the British GPs and lots of Championship rounds where he'd always be spannering for you,burger etc and there's me thinking he was a bit of a star Laughing
It was easy to tell who the good mechanics were, cos they were the ones that followed the rider from team to team , a fair few only survived cos they knew where the bodies were buried...

Post a reply to: factory teams running throttle return cables?

The Latest