eMTB vs MX prices

Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
Edited Date/Time 11/1/2018 7:53pm
So I clicked on an ad to the right of the screen for the Specialized Turbo Levo, unreal bike and technology but it still is just a bicycle. They cost anywhere from $7,000-$14,000 USD listed on their website depending on the model. Even their regular high-end bikes cost in that range.

MX bikes are around $7,000-$10,500 USD these days for a e-start EFI 450.

There seems to be so many more parts and engineering in a motocross bike that the price comparison seems crazy. Are the MTB companies making a gigantic profit margin or what?
|
BIGRIGGIN
10/30/2018 10:06am
Its been this way since the beginning of time. An MTB tire will cost you as much as a new Dunlop knobby, makes no sense.
DoctorJD
10/30/2018 10:06am
The cycling industry is the biggest ripoff in the history of mankind. Every time I buy a bike or parts I feel victimized.
r.sal923
10/30/2018 10:11am
DoctorJD wrote:
The cycling industry is the biggest ripoff in the history of mankind. Every time I buy a bike or parts I feel victimized.
The worst is how parts and bikes become obsolete in 6 months. Don’t get caught on a 2 year old bike or you will get bullyed.

The Shop

BikeGuy321
10/30/2018 10:22am Edited Date/Time 10/30/2018 10:26am
The cost goes way up on some bikes because it has carbon frame, suspension with expensive internals,best crank, pedals, shifter, derailleur, expensive wheelset, ect. The MTB industry basically sells top level race-ready builds that not everyone needs. Not everyone needs a carbon frame and kashima coating on everything.

Some brands offer lower spec builds, some don't.
You don't "need" race level components if you just ride casually, and aren't hitting 10 foot drops or gnarly rock gardens.
KDXGarage
10/30/2018 10:25am
There is a larger profit margin on high end bikes that standard cost MX bikes.
DoctorJD
10/30/2018 10:32am
DoctorJD wrote:
r.sal923 wrote:
The worst is how parts and bikes become obsolete in 6 months. Don’t get caught on a 2 year old bike or you will get bullyed.
The technology is always in flux, it's never static. Since the 90's it hasn't stopped evolving. It's like the early 80's in motocross, except perpetual.
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
10/30/2018 10:36am Edited Date/Time 10/30/2018 11:06am
BikeGuy321 wrote:
The cost goes way up on some bikes because it has carbon frame, suspension with expensive internals,best crank, pedals, shifter, derailleur, expensive wheelset, ect. The MTB...
The cost goes way up on some bikes because it has carbon frame, suspension with expensive internals,best crank, pedals, shifter, derailleur, expensive wheelset, ect. The MTB industry basically sells top level race-ready builds that not everyone needs. Not everyone needs a carbon frame and kashima coating on everything.

You don't "need" race level components if you just ride casually, and aren't hitting 10 foot drops or gnarly rock gardens.
I agree! I bought a '19 aluminum specialized stumpjumper and I love it. The low end components on it work great even the brakes. Actually I like the brakes better than some high ends ones I have used because they are more progressive and not as grabby.
BikeGuy321
10/30/2018 10:40am
BikeGuy321 wrote:
The cost goes way up on some bikes because it has carbon frame, suspension with expensive internals,best crank, pedals, shifter, derailleur, expensive wheelset, ect. The MTB...

Myke wrote:
I agree! I bought a '19 aluminum specialized stumpjumper and I love it. The low end components on it work great even the brakes. Actually I...
I agree! I bought a '19 aluminum specialized stumpjumper and I love it. The low end components on it work great even the brakes. Actually I like the brakes better than some high ends ones I have used because they are more progressive and not as grabby.
Yeah, some of the higher spec parts cost more because they are light weight, but they dont always work way better, they just weight less.
BroFoSho
10/30/2018 10:45am
It's hard to compare apples to apples

The extreme high end bike build isn't the same as buying a Factory Edition KTM. It would be closer to actually purchasing Musquin's 450.
jdsmooth
10/30/2018 10:50am
I have been around MX and cycling for a long time, and worked in a bicycle shop in college because of its proximity to campus. One of the largest differences in the two is the availability of products dependent on your budget. With MX, if you are interested in racing and are set on buying new, you can choose between a 250 and a 450 from your favorite brand (all brands being relatively comparable in price).
In cycling, especially mtb, buyers can select a product that matches their budget while still maintaining a level of competitiveness. The dealer I worked in sold Trek and Cannondale in addition to some boutique brands. We stocked Trek's recreation line (budget), aluminum xc (mid-tier) and carbon xc (top of the line), and that's just the cross country models. Each tier had varying levels, so you could really get the most bang for your buck.

I thought for awhile that mx would expand its market if OEMs adopted a version of this model. I'm not sure though that our customer base is large enough to support such a segmented market. Maybe it is. People often suggest that an OEM like Suzuki could bring back the RM125 and hit that demographic of rider looking to ride competitively while sticking to a budget. I'm not so sure..
hard2kill
10/30/2018 10:55am
DoctorJD wrote:
r.sal923 wrote:
DoctorJD wrote:
The technology is always in flux, it's never static. Since the 90's it hasn't stopped evolving. It's like the early 80's in motocross, except perpetual.
Yep there are many bike parts/acc. that resurface evry 10 years as "new technology" that is really just forgotten tech with bng.
KGAspeed
10/30/2018 11:18am
BroFoSho wrote:
It's hard to compare apples to apples The extreme high end bike build isn't the same as buying a Factory Edition KTM. It would be closer...
It's hard to compare apples to apples

The extreme high end bike build isn't the same as buying a Factory Edition KTM. It would be closer to actually purchasing Musquin's 450.
I've heard people (usually bike shops with a little bit of moto background) say this in a defense, but I don't agree at all. Production is production - those $8/$9/$10,000 *bicycles* are still just production packages. The suspension is still just what anyone else gets when they want to spend that much money. And often times, that same Fox 36 Factory Grip2 is the same fork on a lower-end (but still "high end") bike.

I think the pricing of MTBs is insane - I've always made this comparison and can't help it. And this isn't even in reference to eMTBs - they are ALL priced crazy. My carbon FRAME was $3500. For a frame (but I bought it at 45% off, so I felt marginally better).

I was super into the mtb for a few years and now I'm getting bored with it and trying to focus back on moto most of the time. The pricing just keeps turning me off as well.

And they creak and make a ton of noises and are somewhat fragile as it is (I'm on my second warrantied frame).
Sir
10/30/2018 11:41am
The human population has grown and with it the stupid population as well. The constant reinventing by the bicycle industry of components like bottom brackets for example is so the industry can sell this "new, improved" tech for outrageous prices and the stupid buy into the sales blurb ad nauseam.

Whilst there are enough idiots to be parted from their money thinking the few thousand dollar bike will turn them into a great road/mtb rider then the bicycle industry will keep churning out these over priced bikes. Carbon frames manufactured in China and brake and suspension systems which are just scaled down versions from the motorbike sector and sold to the cycle community as new fangled inventions.

A push bike is only as good as the legs that are pushing it.
10/30/2018 12:13pm Edited Date/Time 10/30/2018 12:15pm
Ramrod wrote:
So I clicked on an ad to the right of the screen for the Specialized Turbo Levo, unreal bike and technology but it still is just...
So I clicked on an ad to the right of the screen for the Specialized Turbo Levo, unreal bike and technology but it still is just a bicycle. They cost anywhere from $7,000-$14,000 USD listed on their website depending on the model. Even their regular high-end bikes cost in that range.

MX bikes are around $7,000-$10,500 USD these days for a e-start EFI 450.

There seems to be so many more parts and engineering in a motocross bike that the price comparison seems crazy. Are the MTB companies making a gigantic profit margin or what?
Mtb is the new ?️ The Mtb industry realized they could r*pe the yuppy masses..
Bry145
10/30/2018 12:35pm
My Kona Process 134 was around $3,500. And it costs nearly nothing to ride compared to moto.

My YZ250 was $7,500. It costs a bundle to ride, factoring in gasoline to the local track, track fees, lubes, tires, ect.

The initial cost for a mountain bike may seem high, but after that they are nearly free to hammer on and enjoy. Ride a 450 as much as a mountain bike and holy cow will the bills add up. Not to mention the depreciation when it is time to sell.

One can get a middle of the road MTB and have a lot of fun for not a lot of money. Perhaps that sport is on the rise because it passes the cost/benefit analysis and is within reach of median earners.

Not everyone needs the latest and greatest mountain bike or an e-bike. Get what you can afford and enjoy it.

Samuel
10/30/2018 12:36pm
The basic fox mx Jersey will cost between $25 and $35. The basic fox MTB Jersey will be $50-$80. It makes no sense. Most of the MTB jerseys are short sleeve, so even less material. Same stuff, but less of it, and the cost is way higher. I ride MTB a lot and own several bikes and shoes, jerseys, shorts, etc., so obviously I've been sucked into it. I do not like it, but they know people will pay, so they get away with charging more. Technology gets jammed down mtbr's throats more than anyone. Right now my main bike is 27.5 with "boost" spacing. I just sold a very nice 2014 DH bike with fairly good components for under a grand because nobody wants a bike with 26 inch wheels and the old spacing anymore. I still ride a 26er from time to time and I'm not any slower on it. Honestly I could ride my 26,27.5, and 29er back to back to back and get the same time down the mountain. I think the entire Redbull rampage podium was on 26 inch wheels this year.
Doddy
10/30/2018 12:42pm
Why anyone would buy a chinese/Taiwanese bike for the prices they are is beyond me....
Forty
10/30/2018 1:57pm Edited Date/Time 10/30/2018 2:05pm
What Bry145 said.
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3801st
10/30/2018 3:04pm Edited Date/Time 10/30/2018 3:05pm
100 actual riding hours on my mtb and the only thing I've changed is suspension fluid/seals and tires. The chain isn't even ready to be replaced.

Can't say the same about my dirt bike and it's even a 2-stroke.

I do think there is some truth to the arguement comparing high-end MTB's to a factory 450, but it's slightly comparies apples to oranges. While the high-end suspension comonenets are really nice, they are still mass produced unlike factory components.

BobPA
10/30/2018 3:33pm
Bry145 wrote:
My Kona Process 134 was around $3,500. And it costs nearly nothing to ride compared to moto. My YZ250 was $7,500. It costs a bundle to...
My Kona Process 134 was around $3,500. And it costs nearly nothing to ride compared to moto.

My YZ250 was $7,500. It costs a bundle to ride, factoring in gasoline to the local track, track fees, lubes, tires, ect.

The initial cost for a mountain bike may seem high, but after that they are nearly free to hammer on and enjoy. Ride a 450 as much as a mountain bike and holy cow will the bills add up. Not to mention the depreciation when it is time to sell.

One can get a middle of the road MTB and have a lot of fun for not a lot of money. Perhaps that sport is on the rise because it passes the cost/benefit analysis and is within reach of median earners.

Not everyone needs the latest and greatest mountain bike or an e-bike. Get what you can afford and enjoy it.

The depreciation of bicycles and parts is worse than MX bikes...
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
10/30/2018 3:55pm
Some good insight here.

All the mountain bikes look awesome including the guy who has the Kona Process 134, it’s sweet.

I’m glad a 450 isn’t 20 grand to be in proportion with a MTB.
Premix
10/30/2018 4:16pm Edited Date/Time 10/30/2018 4:18pm
MX people bitch about the costs of MX bikes, the price of parts, and the cost to compete, I’ve never once gotten that vibe from any of the places I’ve ever ridden mountain bikes for the last 14 years I’ve been pedaling them. The hobby itself also attracts a higher class of participant in my opinion, in terms of socioeconomic status. Possibly why I’ve not heard the “bitching” associated with the cost. Better, Higher paying jobs = more dough for the hobby. I’ve gotten away from doing as much moto over the past couple of years and have found the Off Road crowd to be a much better place to be on the motor side of the two wheels.

Most recent trip out west from this spring. Bonus points to those that can name the trail!

I found this interesting during my recent research for a potential e bike purchase: Ducati and Yamaha already offer an e bike.

Yamaha E Bike

Bry145
10/30/2018 4:47pm
Premix wrote:
MX people bitch about the costs of MX bikes, the price of parts, and the cost to compete, I’ve never once gotten that vibe from any...
MX people bitch about the costs of MX bikes, the price of parts, and the cost to compete, I’ve never once gotten that vibe from any of the places I’ve ever ridden mountain bikes for the last 14 years I’ve been pedaling them. The hobby itself also attracts a higher class of participant in my opinion, in terms of socioeconomic status. Possibly why I’ve not heard the “bitching” associated with the cost. Better, Higher paying jobs = more dough for the hobby. I’ve gotten away from doing as much moto over the past couple of years and have found the Off Road crowd to be a much better place to be on the motor side of the two wheels.

Most recent trip out west from this spring. Bonus points to those that can name the trail!

I found this interesting during my recent research for a potential e bike purchase: Ducati and Yamaha already offer an e bike.

Yamaha E Bike

That looks like Sedona, AZ.

Premix
10/30/2018 4:50pm
Bry145 wrote:
That looks like Sedona, AZ.

Sedona it is! HiLine Trail to be exact. Gnarliest thing I’ve ever ridden on two wheels.
Pirate421
10/30/2018 5:20pm
I wish you could order online like mtb though. Be able to spec up or down on components to meet price points. My Santa Cruz chameleon can be bought online and shipped to my door at a discount. There is also 3 or 4 different spec levels with complete bike prices from $1800-$3200. Also it comes with lifetime frame warranty and lifetime bearing replacement. Imagine if Ktm came with lifetime frame warranty haha. I do agree that bikes are crazy expensive but I do think motocross bikes could take a page out of cycling book and make dirtbikes easier to buy and spec.

Imagine going online and ordering a leftover ktm450 discounted at 15-20% and then ordering it with conevalves and the wheels, tires, bars etc. you want and having everything shipped to your door so you can put it together in your living room and not having to deal with a dealer that has no idea about dirtbikes.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/30/2018 5:55pm
BikeGuy321 wrote:
Yeah, some of the higher spec parts cost more because they are light weight, but they dont always work way better, they just weight less.
In my experience, what most of the higher-end MTB components also offer are a bit more durability than the lower-end stuff, in addition to a performance (or weight) advantage. I will admit, however, to having not ridden many of the newer MTB components. This is more based on when I was working at Mountain Biking magazine (very early days stuff), and later at Specialized. Smile

As for the topic, comparing the cost of any high-end MTB (electric-powered or otherwise) against MX bikes is an exercise in crazy-making. How can a mountain bike cost as much as an MX bike? There's no engine. In fact, you are the engine. Personally, I think it has as much to do with how they're constructed (and what they're constructed from) as anything else. Spec an MTB, and you're going catalog shopping from a variety of vendors (Shimano, Sram, Fox, Rock Shox, etc.), and there's probably less of the actual construction being done by the companies themselves...even if they're bringing their own chassis design.

For MTBs, you definitely pay a premium for light weight, whether it's a carbon chassis, lightweight wheels, or other components. You're also not going to huck something as big as you would on an MX bike (unless you're maybe a world-class downhiller). I think things like wheels also get a bit more attention during the build phase. Most of the spokes on MTBs I've owned had never required much in the way of post-purchase attention. And someday I'd love to see wheels on an MX bike that didn't have as much brake and chain drag as you get on an MX bike.

On the other hand, if I had a mountain bike that featured some of the welds I've seen on MX bikes, I'd be pretty bummed. Sometimes they look good. Other times? Not so much.
BikeGuy321
10/30/2018 6:00pm
Pirate421 wrote:
I wish you could order online like mtb though. Be able to spec up or down on components to meet price points. My Santa Cruz chameleon...
I wish you could order online like mtb though. Be able to spec up or down on components to meet price points. My Santa Cruz chameleon can be bought online and shipped to my door at a discount. There is also 3 or 4 different spec levels with complete bike prices from $1800-$3200. Also it comes with lifetime frame warranty and lifetime bearing replacement. Imagine if Ktm came with lifetime frame warranty haha. I do agree that bikes are crazy expensive but I do think motocross bikes could take a page out of cycling book and make dirtbikes easier to buy and spec.

Imagine going online and ordering a leftover ktm450 discounted at 15-20% and then ordering it with conevalves and the wheels, tires, bars etc. you want and having everything shipped to your door so you can put it together in your living room and not having to deal with a dealer that has no idea about dirtbikes.
KTM used to have a special line of bikes that ironically was more advanced than the Factory Editions. They were called SXS 450, 125 ect. and they had the best WP suspension you could buy, a few engine tweaks and anodized parts everywhere. Those bikes are what I would compare the top of the line MTB builds to.
Pirate421
10/30/2018 6:21pm Edited Date/Time 10/30/2018 6:28pm
Pirate421 wrote:
I wish you could order online like mtb though. Be able to spec up or down on components to meet price points. My Santa Cruz chameleon...

BikeGuy321 wrote:
KTM used to have a special line of bikes that ironically was more advanced than the Factory Editions. They were called SXS 450, 125 ect. and...
KTM used to have a special line of bikes that ironically was more advanced than the Factory Editions. They were called SXS 450, 125 ect. and they had the best WP suspension you could buy, a few engine tweaks and anodized parts everywhere. Those bikes are what I would compare the top of the line MTB builds to.
I remember those I always wanted a 125sxs. I remember some people used to always argue whether the 50s should be allowed in the stock class because of the pipes and suspension and everything.

Post a reply to: eMTB vs MX prices

The Latest