dunlop mx33

opyguy
Edited Date/Time 5/31/2018 2:53pm
anyone try these yet?
They are blowing them out for 75 a tire, for a brand =new designed tire something seems odd, figured they would sell for a premium..anyone know whats up?
|
Mr. Info
5/31/2018 6:34am
They want them out there. Heard rave reviews from some people already using them.
BobPA
5/31/2018 6:47am
The MX3S gets rave reviews too..and they last about as long as a high school kid on prom night.
navalseabee
5/31/2018 7:24am
BobPA wrote:
The MX3S gets rave reviews too..and they last about as long as a high school kid on prom night.
That doesn't mean they don't hook up
MotoMatt_928
5/31/2018 7:42am
I am running them on my '16 FC350. Great tire so far. The MX3S was a really good tire, and this improved all around.

The Shop

5/31/2018 8:19am
BobPA wrote:
If you listened to the interview with the dunlop guy here on vital you would know that's actually the issue they wanted to address with the mx33. Durability should be better now.
Preston412
5/31/2018 8:35am
I got the same amount of wear time from a Pirelli or Bridgestone as I do the Dunlop. A rounded knob is a rounded knob.
The outside knobs tearing means you should have replaced your tire already.
5/31/2018 8:42am
Preston412 wrote:
I got the same amount of wear time from a Pirelli or Bridgestone as I do the Dunlop. A rounded knob is a rounded knob. The...
I got the same amount of wear time from a Pirelli or Bridgestone as I do the Dunlop. A rounded knob is a rounded knob.
I think the main problem is that people use the mx32/mx3s on terrain it wasn't designed for. It's a soft/intermediate tire. Ofcourse it will wear fast on hard terrain. The tire may also have a lot of grip on harder terrain but then they can expect the extra wear. I've got a MX3s front on my bike with something around 35 hours on it and the knobbies are still sharp. It's because I use it on the right terrain.
Preston412
5/31/2018 10:00am
Preston412 wrote:
I got the same amount of wear time from a Pirelli or Bridgestone as I do the Dunlop. A rounded knob is a rounded knob. The...
I think the main problem is that people use the mx32/mx3s on terrain it wasn't designed for. It's a soft/intermediate tire. Ofcourse it will wear fast...
I think the main problem is that people use the mx32/mx3s on terrain it wasn't designed for. It's a soft/intermediate tire. Ofcourse it will wear fast on hard terrain. The tire may also have a lot of grip on harder terrain but then they can expect the extra wear. I've got a MX3s front on my bike with something around 35 hours on it and the knobbies are still sharp. It's because I use it on the right terrain.
you are correct, using the tire on the wrong terrain will tear the outer knobs but not many consider that so I was not going down that road trying to explain my reply. LOL. I get about 20 hours on the front and 10-12 on the rear.
Tracktor
5/31/2018 10:41am
BobPA wrote:
5 rides and my older boy ripped almost every single knob off one. Granted, there were a couple of FMX ramp sessions on it but out of all of us riding he was the only one who lost knobs. It looked like a wheelie boy tire. Trying a Bridgestone now seem to have better luck with them. He destroys tires for some reason........
MotoMatt_928
5/31/2018 11:12am Edited Date/Time 5/31/2018 11:13am
I had 25 hrs on my front and back MX3S before I had to change them, and it wasn't because I had ripped knobs off, but because the blocks were getting rounded. 30+ B/C rider, who rides moto and GP's, as well as ORV trails. As others have mentioned, it is about using the right tire, for the right terrain. And also, using the correct air pressure. If you are running low pressure on a wrong tire to compensate for the terrain you are riding on, that will effect the longevity of any tire, regardless of brand. I think everyone who tries the MX33 will be pleasantly surprised about the traction, but also the longer durability.
5/31/2018 11:14am
when the MX52 and MX32(3S) first came out, no one would buy the MX32(3S). they looked at it and said it looked like a sand tire and didn't want anything to do with it, they loved the mx52. THEN MXA said they hated the MX52 and loved the 32(3S). the same guys who hated the 32 now loved it, and would no longer buy the 52....magazine tests get these guys by the balls!
kb228
5/31/2018 11:20am
when the MX52 and MX32(3S) first came out, no one would buy the MX32(3S). they looked at it and said it looked like a sand tire...
when the MX52 and MX32(3S) first came out, no one would buy the MX32(3S). they looked at it and said it looked like a sand tire and didn't want anything to do with it, they loved the mx52. THEN MXA said they hated the MX52 and loved the 32(3S). the same guys who hated the 32 now loved it, and would no longer buy the 52....magazine tests get these guys by the balls!
The reason your reply is wrong is because NOBODY believes anything on MXA.
5/31/2018 2:53pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2018 2:55pm
BobPA wrote:
Tracktor wrote:
5 rides and my older boy ripped almost every single knob off one. Granted, there were a couple of FMX ramp sessions on it but out...
5 rides and my older boy ripped almost every single knob off one. Granted, there were a couple of FMX ramp sessions on it but out of all of us riding he was the only one who lost knobs. It looked like a wheelie boy tire. Trying a Bridgestone now seem to have better luck with them. He destroys tires for some reason........
Jrewing
5/31/2018 3:43pm
BobPA wrote:
My trick was to rub one out before heading out. Worked wonders for stayin power
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
5/31/2018 6:22pm
Bruce372 wrote:
who is selling these for $75???????
Flipside has a rocking deal on them, but you gotta pay cash and buy at least 3 tires to make it worth his time. He doesn’t make any money on them, he’s just passing along a good deal. Pick up in Santa Clarita
I just picked up 2- fronts and 3- rears
Bruce372
5/31/2018 7:51pm
Bruce372 wrote:
langhammx wrote:
Flipside has a rocking deal on them, but you gotta pay cash and buy at least 3 tires to make it worth his time. He doesn’t...
Flipside has a rocking deal on them, but you gotta pay cash and buy at least 3 tires to make it worth his time. He doesn’t make any money on them, he’s just passing along a good deal. Pick up in Santa Clarita
I just picked up 2- fronts and 3- rears
Lol, I've burned that bridge
racerx317
5/31/2018 11:00pm
I don’t agree that every tire that loses an edge is going to lose traction as badly as Dunlop. Depends on several factors including running the right tire on the right terrain as well as rubber compounds. With the right tire and tire compound you will have a tire without an edge hook up better than one with an edge in hard packed situations as an example.

I always buy tires in bulk to be sure my son has the right tires ready for whatever terrain we’re facing from hard pack to sand. We consistently had more issues with Dunlop than any other brand... chunking knobs (correct tire for terrain in new condition still chunked), rears only lasted 2 race weekends and fronts 3 if we were lucky. Not sure if the rubber compounds aren’t good or what but we just haven’t been thrilled. Additionally, we tried to see if our brand new chunked tires were maybe just a bad run... they wouldn’t even take the batch number to look into it let alone help us out on a replacement at a discount. Hopefully the new tire fixes some of those issues that we experienced.

I was reluctant to try Kenda, but a buddy talked me into it. My son has never been happier since starting to use them a few years ago. Sidewalls have a planted feel in the turns, they wear really well and hook up even with a rounded edge due to the rubber compounds used. Obviously in soft terrain you want as much edge as possible but we race many tracks that get hardpacked so, edge or worn edge... he’s hooking up. We did have one set that chunked on us...but Kenda set the example of how customer service is supposed to work... they took the batch numbers and pictures of the tires, then a new set of tires showed up on my doorstep a few days later. Never had an issue since then so I assume they had a bad batch that was handled efficiently. Tire quality, traction, sidewall and customer service has been unmatched by any other manufacturer in my experience.

My 2nd choice would have to be the Pirelli... they’ve done a good job stiffening up the sidewalls to get rid of the wallowing feel and their customer service is excellent as well.
Wiztardo
6/1/2018 8:20am
I am a beginner, but I've got a set on the way right now from Rocky Mountain. If I can get the time I did out of the MX33s as I have with the stock Bridgestones, i'll be more than happy. I think my current tire is just too hard of a compound for the tracks I am riding. I found myself going down in tire pressure to try and help, so I am excited to run these at an appropriate pressure for some of the softer stuff.

Side question from a beginner- what do you do when the track is literally half and half cake batter in some straights and corners, and hard pack/ dusty in others? Seems like most tracks where I am at are like this pretty consistently. From that interview, it sounds like the MX33s should work for me. I don't mind buying tires a little more often if these work really well.
7eleven
6/1/2018 11:11am
Wiztardo wrote:
I am a beginner, but I've got a set on the way right now from Rocky Mountain. If I can get the time I did out...
I am a beginner, but I've got a set on the way right now from Rocky Mountain. If I can get the time I did out of the MX33s as I have with the stock Bridgestones, i'll be more than happy. I think my current tire is just too hard of a compound for the tracks I am riding. I found myself going down in tire pressure to try and help, so I am excited to run these at an appropriate pressure for some of the softer stuff.

Side question from a beginner- what do you do when the track is literally half and half cake batter in some straights and corners, and hard pack/ dusty in others? Seems like most tracks where I am at are like this pretty consistently. From that interview, it sounds like the MX33s should work for me. I don't mind buying tires a little more often if these work really well.
I’d go with measuring my skills... are you faster on dry slick or loamy dirt, then remember that you chose the right tire for those spots. It’s a give and take on a track like that.
Premix
6/1/2018 12:50pm
2 practices and 4 race motos on mine so far and they are holding up great! I will echo the front knob tearing many experienced with the 3s, I had to run mine a pound higher up front to keep them from tearing. 33 has a stiffer carcass and the knob shape is much different especially where it contacts the tire itself. I’ve been impressed so far, no loss of traction compared to the 3s and are holding up better in my opinion than the 3s did.
Frank
6/1/2018 4:18pm
Bruce372 wrote:
731chopper wrote:
Rocky Mountain
WarrenMX wrote:
thanks, just ordered a set
They are $102.56 now on RMATV
Bruce372
6/1/2018 4:44pm
Does a modern 450 need the 120/80/19 or 120/90/19????
ML512
Fantasy
45th
6/1/2018 4:50pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Depends on conditions and what you're looking for in feel. I rode Brayton's race bike with a 110 rear and while it was a bit easier to roll through the middle of the corners on, it also broke loose much easier. On the West coast, I quite prefer a 120.
Bruce372
6/1/2018 4:55pm
Bruce372 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Depends on conditions and what you're looking for in feel. I rode Brayton's race bike with a 110 rear and while it was a bit easier...
Depends on conditions and what you're looking for in feel. I rode Brayton's race bike with a 110 rear and while it was a bit easier to roll through the middle of the corners on, it also broke loose much easier. On the West coast, I quite prefer a 120.
Yeah, the fc450 comes with a 120, that's the one I want but I can't remember whether it's the 80 or 90 version...
ML512
Fantasy
45th
6/1/2018 5:08pm
Bruce372 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Depends on conditions and what you're looking for in feel. I rode Brayton's race bike with a 110 rear and while it was a bit easier...
Bruce372 wrote:
Yeah, the fc450 comes with a 120, that's the one I want but I can't remember whether it's the 80 or 90 version...
80 is what comes on the Husky and most 450s for the MX3S...the 90 is new for the MX33 line and it was developed in part with Honda.

I chatted with Glover about this at the MX33 intro: https://www.vitalmx.com/photos/features/First-Look-Dunlop-MX33,39408/Sl…

Post a reply to: dunlop mx33

The Latest