dirt bike carrier with car

Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
4/6/2011 5:11am
Looking at gettting a 4 cylinder Mazda 5. Found one at a good price however the max tongue weight on that vehicle is 200 lbs. Stupid question. Does anyone know if it's possible to create some type of frame extensions or something to stiffen the rear of the vehicle. I want to use my ramp type hitch mounted carrier but I'd have to be in the 275lb range with bike and ramp.

I know they probably underrate the tongue weight somewhat so it's probably in the 250lb range.
mac3-d
4/6/2011 7:39am
put in heavier rear springs (car)
RickRolled
4/6/2011 8:10am
Have a hitch and trailer used on a 4cycl. accord for days when my wife needs the Expedition. No way I would consider putting the hitch rack on the accord. Just my 2cents.
DrSweden
4/6/2011 8:39am
Madmax31 wrote:
Looking at gettting a 4 cylinder Mazda 5. Found one at a good price however the max tongue weight on that vehicle is 200 lbs. Stupid...
Looking at gettting a 4 cylinder Mazda 5. Found one at a good price however the max tongue weight on that vehicle is 200 lbs. Stupid question. Does anyone know if it's possible to create some type of frame extensions or something to stiffen the rear of the vehicle. I want to use my ramp type hitch mounted carrier but I'd have to be in the 275lb range with bike and ramp.

I know they probably underrate the tongue weight somewhat so it's probably in the 250lb range.
Didn't you read my post? I make sure the carrier is close to the car (I had re cut the piece going in my hitch on my carrier) so you don't get the lever effect. Also use tie downs to the rails has worked for my on 4 cars, for almost a decade. It has also worked on my friends cars. I'm guessing all our cars where in the Mazda 5 range (is that the minivan?).

The Shop

Nutty C
4/6/2011 10:12am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2011 10:13am
Madmax31 wrote:
Looking at gettting a 4 cylinder Mazda 5. Found one at a good price however the max tongue weight on that vehicle is 200 lbs. Stupid...

DrSweden wrote:
Didn't you read my post? I make sure the carrier is close to the car (I had re cut the piece going in my hitch on...
Didn't you read my post? I make sure the carrier is close to the car (I had re cut the piece going in my hitch on my carrier) so you don't get the lever effect. Also use tie downs to the rails has worked for my on 4 cars, for almost a decade. It has also worked on my friends cars. I'm guessing all our cars where in the Mazda 5 range (is that the minivan?).

Hmmm. No visable liscense plate and no visable lighting. You do not stand a snowballs chance in hell when you get rear ended by a dump truck. Cops will charge you. These things are not DOT approved.
DrSweden
4/6/2011 11:19am
Nutty C wrote:
Hmmm. No visable liscense plate and no visable lighting. You do not stand a snowballs chance in hell when you get rear ended by a dump...
Hmmm. No visable liscense plate and no visable lighting. You do not stand a snowballs chance in hell when you get rear ended by a dump truck. Cops will charge you. These things are not DOT approved.
Of course they are not DOT proved, but again. I have been doing this for almost a decade now, and from time to time I use extra lights attached to the bike (not in the US).

I have been stopped once were the copper said I need to put lights and number plate one, but i didn't get a fine. We are talking going back and forward during my whole "career". The stop lights are visible threw the wheels, and I also have the stop lights above the window. So I think I will be fine. But sure, less visible, and sure some more risk but I ride motorcycles for a hobby, go figure.
Nutty C
4/6/2011 1:03pm
DrSweden wrote:
Of course they are not DOT proved, but again. I have been doing this for almost a decade now, and from time to time I use...
Of course they are not DOT proved, but again. I have been doing this for almost a decade now, and from time to time I use extra lights attached to the bike (not in the US).

I have been stopped once were the copper said I need to put lights and number plate one, but i didn't get a fine. We are talking going back and forward during my whole "career". The stop lights are visible threw the wheels, and I also have the stop lights above the window. So I think I will be fine. But sure, less visible, and sure some more risk but I ride motorcycles for a hobby, go figure.
Just don't want everyone to think they are legal. I almost rear ended a mini van loaded up with bicycles once. You could not see any lights from behind. Cheers
Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
4/7/2011 6:58am
DrSweden wrote:
Didn't you read my post? I make sure the carrier is close to the car (I had re cut the piece going in my hitch on...

Sorry guess I didn't read it very well. Its smaller than a mini van. I'd guess it's based off the Mazda3 platform.

I'm going to give it a shot. Found airbags for the rear springs ($89) and I'll do like you said, get it as close to the vehicle as possible.

I'll let everyone know how it works out.
DrSweden
4/7/2011 6:19pm
Nutty C wrote:
Just don't want everyone to think they are legal. I almost rear ended a mini van loaded up with bicycles once. You could not see any...
Just don't want everyone to think they are legal. I almost rear ended a mini van loaded up with bicycles once. You could not see any lights from behind. Cheers
You are right. I have pretended this is ok. Damn, I better get some attachable lights here in the US as well. I don't want end up in shit because of my own stupidity.

Tnx for pointing it out.

Post a reply to: dirt bike carrier with car

The Latest