did...does tomac race MB's too?

BobbyM
Edited Date/Time 7/30/2013 9:45pm
his line selection is unmatched and little 1 inch left or right decisions on what line to pick makes a huge difference depending on track type and surface.

he's almost in another class when it comes to the 250 riders.
|
DocMarten
7/29/2013 10:39pm
well, he certainly knows how to ride one..his parents are champs lol
andymoto
7/30/2013 1:00am
Baggett impressed me with his speed and line selection the last 2 seasons. Tomac reminds me of that BB this yr.
IWreckALot
7/30/2013 4:48am
From personal experience, there is no better cross training than riding mountain bike. I'm not fast on a dirt bike by any means but I was mid pack for two years. After 2 months of riding mountain bike and pushing my pace on the trail, I started winning.

I don't understand why all of these guys focus strictly on road riding even from a safety aspect. Riding mountain bikes through trails, rock drops and climbs, and trees really makes you focus on your line choice, body english, and it forces you to get outside of your target heart rate zone every now and again. The Tomacs definitely have that figured out.
rosebud441
7/30/2013 7:23am
IWreckALot wrote:
From personal experience, there is no better cross training than riding mountain bike. I'm not fast on a dirt bike by any means but I was...
From personal experience, there is no better cross training than riding mountain bike. I'm not fast on a dirt bike by any means but I was mid pack for two years. After 2 months of riding mountain bike and pushing my pace on the trail, I started winning.

I don't understand why all of these guys focus strictly on road riding even from a safety aspect. Riding mountain bikes through trails, rock drops and climbs, and trees really makes you focus on your line choice, body english, and it forces you to get outside of your target heart rate zone every now and again. The Tomacs definitely have that figured out.
Sir, you are absolutely correct.. MTB's are the perfect mxers training tool, i too wonder why the pros dress up in girl clothes and road ride..

Years ago i took a break from mx and raced xc and some dh, came back a different rider.. i could actually stay in a rut rather than wiggle out of it..no more falls either..

The Shop

blusmbl
7/30/2013 8:51am
I assume it's due to the lack of good mountain biking trails in Florida and California compared to where Tomac trains in Colorado. Agree his line choices seem exceptional.
peelout
7/30/2013 8:53am
BobbyM wrote:
his line selection is unmatched and little 1 inch left or right decisions on what line to pick makes a huge difference depending on track type...
his line selection is unmatched and little 1 inch left or right decisions on what line to pick makes a huge difference depending on track type and surface.

he's almost in another class when it comes to the 250 riders.
almost reminds me of RV's ability to take lines that nobody else can see.

almost.
jayback42
7/30/2013 8:54am
^ yea, there's no good mtb trails in CA... right.
Tumblin
7/30/2013 9:14am
IWreckALot wrote:
From personal experience, there is no better cross training than riding mountain bike. I'm not fast on a dirt bike by any means but I was...

Riding mountain bikes through trails, rock drops and climbs, and trees really makes you focus on your line choice, body english, and it forces you to get outside of your target heart rate zone every now and again.

Exactly IWreckALot, that trying to hang in there and fight for balance, position and postivie energy while trying to not explode is killer for moto. I wish I had discovered MTB's benefits for moto many years ago.
justpinit
7/30/2013 9:21am
When I watched Washougal on TV, they showed John Tomac standing there with a cast on his arm looking like he was hurtin'!! Sounds like he was trying to keep up to Eli on a MTB ride and bailed big time trying to catch/pass him!!
IWreckALot
7/30/2013 9:25am
justpinit wrote:
When I watched Washougal on TV, they showed John Tomac standing there with a cast on his arm looking like he was hurtin'!! Sounds like he...
When I watched Washougal on TV, they showed John Tomac standing there with a cast on his arm looking like he was hurtin'!! Sounds like he was trying to keep up to Eli on a MTB ride and bailed big time trying to catch/pass him!!
They had mentioned in a broadcast at some point last year that Eli has gotten to where he is the better climber between the two of them but John could still hold his own on the downhill. In the broadcast a couple of weeks ago, they commented that John was chasing Eli down a hill after a hill climb and it turned ugly.
7/30/2013 9:49am
jayback42 wrote:
I guess he thinks the Sierra Nevada Mountains are actually in Nevada. LOL!!
early
Fantasy
2212th
7/30/2013 9:57am
I think the 2 best training activities for moto are definitely mountain biking and rock climbing but I'm a little biased...
BobbyM
7/30/2013 8:17pm
blusmbl wrote:
I assume it's due to the lack of good mountain biking trails in Florida and California compared to where Tomac trains in Colorado. Agree his line...
I assume it's due to the lack of good mountain biking trails in Florida and California compared to where Tomac trains in Colorado. Agree his line choices seem exceptional.
California is the birthplace of mountain biking...wtf you talking about?
Tim507
7/30/2013 8:24pm
blusmbl wrote:
I assume it's due to the lack of good mountain biking trails in Florida and California compared to where Tomac trains in Colorado. Agree his line...
BobbyM wrote:
Gary Fisher in Marin CA to be exactSmile

ET and RV do have a good eye for line selection. I'm bet that ET and RV pay more attention to line selection on the warm up laps tham most of the riders, plus they learn where the sheep go and go somewhere else!

Since the 60's I've always walked the track looking for lines. Then after the 1st moto's it was back out to see what had changed.
COAL-TRAIN
7/30/2013 8:34pm
jayback42 wrote:
I guess he thinks the Sierra Nevada Mountains are actually in Nevada. LOL!!
Some of the best mountain biking anywhere is the Santa Cruz area.
My opinion is if it dosnt have a throttle or a vagina it aint worth my time but hey... if you enjoy the riding something that feels like it needs a engine and some better parts Cail has pleanty!
BobbyM
7/30/2013 8:40pm
blusmbl wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
Tim507 wrote:
Gary Fisher in Marin CA to be exact:) ET and RV do have a good eye for line selection. I'm bet that ET and RV pay...
Gary Fisher in Marin CA to be exactSmile

ET and RV do have a good eye for line selection. I'm bet that ET and RV pay more attention to line selection on the warm up laps tham most of the riders, plus they learn where the sheep go and go somewhere else!

Since the 60's I've always walked the track looking for lines. Then after the 1st moto's it was back out to see what had changed.
MT.Tamalpias to be exact. I rode for a shop back the in San Rafael called Olympic Cycles and we would hear about these nutsos modifying cruiser bikes and taking them down these mountain roads at high rates of speed. That is where I believe the basic origins of mountain biking originated.
rosebud441
7/30/2013 9:07pm
as far as today .. i think its Pac northwest that has the Mtb scene cornered..
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
7/30/2013 9:25pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2013 9:27pm
jayback42 wrote:
Not after you lived in Oregon for a few years. Well Santa Cruz Demo forest was pretty good.

I always thought they ride road bikes because it's easy to monitor your heart rate for work and rest periods.
Hank_Thrill
7/30/2013 9:44pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2013 9:46pm
I think one reason so many of the pros use road bikes is because it is great aerobic training. Doing long steady rides at a low heart rate really builds up your aerobic base and is much easier to do, than say mountain biking. Unless you are riding really flat smooth trails, you are going to encounter hills that get the heart rate jumping up and down. It's just much easier to keep the heart rate steady.

Post a reply to: did...does tomac race MB's too?

The Latest