deep staging

Bradj70
Edited Date/Time 3/12/2019 7:22am
on the broadcast they mentioned coopers front wheel being close to the gate, Ricky liked it. But was wondering what are your gate drop tactics? Seems like what Ricky failed to consider is guys who deep stage to time the gate, so ideally you would be wheel to wheel with the shallow guy, but already in motion, by time the gate drops. also it seems advantages to hang back far enough to not get hung up on it if you creep a little or react too soon.
|
3/10/2019 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/10/2019 12:31pm
I was curious about this too. They talked about Webb being closer to the gate so he’d have the edge over Marvin to push him out, but if Marvin timed it right (launching earlier) and left at the same point as Webb with more momentum then he’d obviously be out in front. So I have no idea what point they were trying to make, because it didn’t make sense, lol
3/10/2019 12:36pm Edited Date/Time 3/10/2019 12:36pm
Eh, gif didn't work but I'm sure most of you guys know what's about to happen here
I was just gonna say, I didn’t even need it to start playing, we all know the gif lol

The Shop

colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
3/10/2019 1:54pm
I "deep stage" but that's because I'm less concerned about getting the holeshot and more concerned about creeping too close and getting caught in the gate. Mid pack start is better than starting half a lap down.
Hammer 663s
3/11/2019 9:01am
I never deep stage. 4-6" from the gate, eyes locked on the drop bracket, 2nd gear, clutch creeping, front brake on hard. Throttle level and body position vary - forward on dirt (forks locked down) or middle/back on concrete pad (no fork lock). Soon as that bracket twitches drop clutch and hammer it on dirt. On concrete I don't hit it as hard till I clear the gate.

M
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
3/11/2019 9:41am
I deep stage and try to be creeping when the gate drops. Yelling "Hey hey hey you're leaking something" at the guy next to me right before the starter steps in the box isn't out of the question either. Pointing at back of his bike, false starts to try and suck the guys on either side into the gate, accidentally spilling water on the pads next to me, hitting a guys kill switch,, it's all fair game in the ultra competitive 60 novice class.
ctbale
3/11/2019 11:06am Edited Date/Time 3/11/2019 11:15am
deep stage and slow creep.

(We are talking about moto starts .... right?)

Need to be ahead of the rider's handlebars next to you as you are going through the gate or your fucked.

(But haven't done any "real moto" for 40 years so don't go by me)
ctbale
3/11/2019 11:20am
sumdood wrote:
I deep stage and try to be creeping when the gate drops. Yelling "Hey hey hey you're leaking something" at the guy next to me right...
I deep stage and try to be creeping when the gate drops. Yelling "Hey hey hey you're leaking something" at the guy next to me right before the starter steps in the box isn't out of the question either. Pointing at back of his bike, false starts to try and suck the guys on either side into the gate, accidentally spilling water on the pads next to me, hitting a guys kill switch,, it's all fair game in the ultra competitive 60 novice class.
What would your great-grandchildren think about Shenanigans like that?
barnett468
3/11/2019 11:25am Edited Date/Time 3/11/2019 11:27am
Bradj70 wrote:
on the broadcast they mentioned coopers front wheel being close to the gate, Ricky liked it. But was wondering what are your gate drop tactics? Seems...
on the broadcast they mentioned coopers front wheel being close to the gate, Ricky liked it. But was wondering what are your gate drop tactics? Seems like what Ricky failed to consider is guys who deep stage to time the gate, so ideally you would be wheel to wheel with the shallow guy, but already in motion, by time the gate drops. also it seems advantages to hang back far enough to not get hung up on it if you creep a little or react too soon.
You can not "time a gate", you can only try to guess exactly when it is going to drop which i seriously doubt many people do because if you time it incorrectly and go too soon, you will be dead last guaranteed.
OldnBroken
3/11/2019 12:19pm
I only "deep stage" once she signs the proper consent forms.
just James
3/11/2019 12:27pm
At the local races, I used to be able to figure out the usual delay of the starter dude. I would pull my bike back about a foot, and start a slow creep just before the gate drop. I could usually time it pretty well, and if done just right, it made for some killer holeshots. BTW, I never did get hung in the gate. Lucky, I suppose.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
3/11/2019 2:13pm
sumdood wrote:
I deep stage and try to be creeping when the gate drops. Yelling "Hey hey hey you're leaking something" at the guy next to me right...
ctbale wrote:
That's a good question, but will take a long time to answer since I don't even have regular grandkids yet. My hunch is they'll think it's funny as shit. Laughing
peelout
3/11/2019 2:45pm
Eh, gif didn't work but I'm sure most of you guys know what's about to happen here
got you, my bro

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
3/11/2019 2:46pm
I deep stage and I holeshot. Cool

Sumdood, you left out the part about asking the guy next to you if he fixed that part on his frame where everyone else's is breaking. Laughing
3/11/2019 2:51pm
I pound a Shaffer’s as I highlight the guy besides me’s wife’s sexual prowess in bed
ctbale
3/11/2019 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 3/11/2019 5:37pm
sumdood wrote:
ctbale wrote:
sumdood wrote:
That's a good question, but will take a long time to answer since I don't even have regular grandkids yet. My hunch is they'll think it's...
That's a good question, but will take a long time to answer since I don't even have regular grandkids yet. My hunch is they'll think it's funny as shit. Laughing
Just joking with you, best post on this thread btw. Smile

Besides peelout's video
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/11/2019 6:21pm Edited Date/Time 3/11/2019 6:23pm
What's more advantageous? Being a hair more forward compared to everyone else? Or being on the metal grid longer?

How about third gear starts? Yes, I've seen someone in the 450 class doing those.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
3/11/2019 6:32pm
GuyB wrote:
What's more advantageous? Being a hair more forward compared to everyone else? Or being on the metal grid longer? How about third gear starts? Yes, I've...
What's more advantageous? Being a hair more forward compared to everyone else? Or being on the metal grid longer?

How about third gear starts? Yes, I've seen someone in the 450 class doing those.
3rd gear? Don't let Andrew Short hear you say that
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/11/2019 6:34pm
yak651 wrote:
3rd gear? Don't let Andrew Short hear you say that
I think Andrew was doing them long before there were metal grates behind the gate.
mwssquad827
3/11/2019 6:54pm Edited Date/Time 3/11/2019 6:55pm
I stage deep too... but I also have creeped to much and still hit the gate??? so I guess maybe I belong in c class
barnett468
3/11/2019 7:11pm Edited Date/Time 3/11/2019 7:13pm
just James wrote:
At the local races, I used to be able to figure out the usual delay of the starter dude. I would pull my bike back about...
At the local races, I used to be able to figure out the usual delay of the starter dude. I would pull my bike back about a foot, and start a slow creep just before the gate drop. I could usually time it pretty well, and if done just right, it made for some killer holeshots. BTW, I never did get hung in the gate. Lucky, I suppose.
"At the local races, I used to be able to figure out the usual delay of the starter dude. I could usually time it pretty well, and if done just right, it made for some killer holeshots."

Yup, and I did this frequently back in the 70's thru early 90's and I would sometimes back up as far as 3 feet, however, as I mentioned, it is still a guess, and the starter might have a slight delay one day or could even delay the drop intentionally just to mess with people like us, lol. My comment was aimed at supercross, and it is absolutely 110% impossible to "time the gate drop" at those races because of the system they use, but I guess that some other people here think some of the riders are psychic so they know when it is going to drop.

wfo4ever
3/11/2019 7:22pm
I just hope that I can finish my cigarette before the gate drops.
just James
3/11/2019 7:28pm
By some of the comments in this thread, I wonder if most people even understand what "deep staging" is.
The term comes from drag racing, and refers to rolling forward after the staging light comes on, until the pre-stage light goes out. The equivalent in MX/SX, would be to get as close to the gate as possible.
Pulling back, or holding back would be the equivalent of "shallow staging".
jemcee
3/12/2019 12:02am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2019 12:03am
I like how Ricky left it up to the viewers at home to decide what the advantages would be with each one haha..

My method? put it this way when someone gets a really shithouse start, like hit the gate or spun badly or missed the jump by a mile my mate will say 'was that you on the gate just then?'
Edit: Should mention I hit the gate fucken once haha That's mates for ya
3/12/2019 12:38am
just James wrote:
By some of the comments in this thread, I wonder if most people even understand what "deep staging" is. The term comes from drag racing, and...
By some of the comments in this thread, I wonder if most people even understand what "deep staging" is.
The term comes from drag racing, and refers to rolling forward after the staging light comes on, until the pre-stage light goes out. The equivalent in MX/SX, would be to get as close to the gate as possible.
Pulling back, or holding back would be the equivalent of "shallow staging".
Knowledge drop....
spyder
3/12/2019 3:37am
In Aus a lot of gates have something behind the bikes to stop you 'rolling the start' as we call it. For the gates without it, if the starter sees you back too far, he will hold up the start and bring you forward. I used to roll a lot of starts from 60s all the way up to 125s, and it resulted in a hole shot more often than not.
just James
3/12/2019 4:54am
I don't know why some people seem to think that rolling, and trying to anticipate the gate drop, is somehow cheating. Is there an official rule against it? If so, why? If everyone on the line has the same opportunity to do it, then how would it be cheating?
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
3/12/2019 7:22am
Didn't LACR (before they moved into the pit) have a forward falling gate ? Everyone would stage with their front tire squished against the gate and the back tire spinning Laughing

Post a reply to: deep staging

The Latest