crowd "lynching" downed rider (vid)

Sunhouse
Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 3:16am
Take a look at this.
Jeremy Whatley is out cold at a Check GP, and the dumb ass crowd only makes things worse for the poor guy! Look at the positions they leave him in out on the track, and the dumb ass flagger doesn´t seem to know his job either. Does anyone know if there were any consequences for the promoter after this incident?

|
Alex
11/28/2010 11:17am
The good old days huh fckin hell
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
11/28/2010 11:18am
Yeah...you should never touch/move a guy when he is down like that.
Let the medical personnel do it.
Would have been better off running to the top of that hill and directing guys around/slowing them down.
jeffro503
11/28/2010 12:01pm
Dragging him by one arm with his head just dangling there.....un-fucking real! I actually got pissed watching that video! Everyone is sooo lucky he didn't have any damage to his neck or back.....especially Jeremy ( the rider ). Jesus Christ that was hard to watch.

The Shop

JustMX
11/28/2010 12:07pm
How long ago was that?

It sounds like the announcer says "Jean Micheal Bayle" right as the clip ends.

What would that be, 1988 or 1989?
mxb2
11/28/2010 12:14pm
WTF, like fast eddy said go to the top and detour riders, doubt that what they did was intentional but , they are moto fans i assume, and should better than to move a down ed man who can t move!
burnside
11/28/2010 12:28pm
Creepy clip for sure. At least we know he survived OK.
sec114
11/28/2010 12:42pm
yes hindsight is 20/20 but that was hard to watch. the flagger at top of hill should of at least moved onto the other side of the track to divert riders to the other side.
TerryB
11/28/2010 12:52pm
On the flip side of the "Never touch or move" argument, you must establish and maintain an airway, otherwise it doesn't matter what's wrong with the guy, because he will die without oxygen. That's all I could think while watching that clip.

I witnessed just such an incident, where the downed rider was suffocating and blue, but everyone stood around, afraid to touch him (paramedics were on the other end of the track, dealing with another injured rider). One smart guy went in past the crowd that gathered, rotated his helmet back (it was rotated forward enough that the strap was completely blocking his airway, and digging in so tight it couldn't be undone) and undid the strap. The fallen rider gasped with a huge inhaled breath. Life saved, I believe.
mxb2
11/28/2010 1:19pm
TerryB wrote:
On the flip side of the "Never touch or move" argument, you must establish and maintain an airway, otherwise it doesn't matter what's wrong with the...
On the flip side of the "Never touch or move" argument, you must establish and maintain an airway, otherwise it doesn't matter what's wrong with the guy, because he will die without oxygen. That's all I could think while watching that clip.

I witnessed just such an incident, where the downed rider was suffocating and blue, but everyone stood around, afraid to touch him (paramedics were on the other end of the track, dealing with another injured rider). One smart guy went in past the crowd that gathered, rotated his helmet back (it was rotated forward enough that the strap was completely blocking his airway, and digging in so tight it couldn't be undone) and undid the strap. The fallen rider gasped with a huge inhaled breath. Life saved, I believe.
Good point TerryB, i think people nowadays are afraid to do anything, because of this lawsuit happy country! Still believe there is a good faith law! And also people have no clue what they are doing! Hope the rider is ok, glad someone stepped up and made an effort.
robkinuk
11/28/2010 1:43pm
With all respect for Jeremy, who I know,thankfully the crowd managed to get him out of harms way, it was crude and totally against all we are told, but at least they got him away from being hit by a following rider on a totally blind fast downhill section.
jonjon714
11/28/2010 3:06pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2010 3:07pm
Core...the way it was sometimes. Key word here is ~ C Z E C H L O V A K I A

Anyone see that Lusk video and the way the "trained professionals" carted him off? Where was that, Costa Rica? Just a few years ago too.

Whatley won a 500cc British championship in the early 90's. And he was on a Des Nations team with Thorpe and a very young James Dobb.
11/28/2010 5:49pm
Sunhouse wrote:
Take a look at this. Jeremy Whatley is out cold at a Check GP, and the dumb ass crowd only makes things worse for the poor...
Take a look at this.
Jeremy Whatley is out cold at a Check GP, and the dumb ass crowd only makes things worse for the poor guy! Look at the positions they leave him in out on the track, and the dumb ass flagger doesn´t seem to know his job either. Does anyone know if there were any consequences for the promoter after this incident?

There was a midpacker in that vid that had something wrong with his bike, it sounded like it was farting. Not sure what that is about. I think he even had a tail light.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
11/28/2010 6:15pm
The flagger at the top of the hill for sure should have been more aggressive in getting guys slowed down and/or diverted. Holding the flag full width and giving them a slow down signal for at least a full lap (until all the riders had seen where the downed rider was) would have been a good first step.

It's hard to tell from the angle that the video is shot, but it looks like the spectators were pretty blind to the oncoming riders.

And yeah, they shouldn't have moved him. At that point, protecting him should have been the biggest priority. Moving the bike to a position in front of him would have been one option.

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
11/28/2010 6:20pm
Oh...and if you see flaggers behaving badly, let them (or someone else at the track) know.

I saw another one texting (and paying little attention to the section of the track behind him) this weekend and sort of let him have it. Call it a pet peeve, but when I mentioned it to someone from the track later, they told me they have a zero tolerance policy toward texting while flagging. That was kind of cool to hear.
Trent179
11/28/2010 6:24pm
robkinuk wrote:
With all respect for Jeremy, who I know,thankfully the crowd managed to get him out of harms way, it was crude and totally against all we...
With all respect for Jeremy, who I know,thankfully the crowd managed to get him out of harms way, it was crude and totally against all we are told, but at least they got him away from being hit by a following rider on a totally blind fast downhill section.
Agreed... The crowd made the right decision in that case.
CamP
11/28/2010 6:28pm
Just goes to show that the US doesn't have a monopoly on dumb asses.
DBerg
11/28/2010 9:40pm
I remember a track letting a little kid work as a flagger. He got bored and started playing with the flag but I guess he didn't realize that it looked like he was waving the flag to the riders, so everyone started rolling the jump he was at. After a couple laps, they just started ignoring him, and of course someone crashed on the landing of that jump. Kid's waving the flag but at this point everyone is still ignoring him and it turned into a 3 rider pile up. Someone finally ran up there, ripped the flag out of his hands and stood out on the face of the jump to make everyone roll it. That kid was replaced immediately, which is good, but at that point the damage was already done. I think that kid was the most hated person on that track on that particular day.
I think that's gotta be close to the top of the list of pet peeves for any racer. Idiot flaggers that don't know what they're doing. Even if they have good intentions. Good intentions don't pay for hospital bills and make pain go away.
MXMattii
11/29/2010 4:25am
Anyone know how the it worked out for Jeremy Whatley?? Hard to watch indeed but the spectators are just doing what they think it's best and because they don't want to see him hit by an other guy...

That makes me say this: The most MX riders doesn't have any respect for the yellow flag and the marshals and that makes me very angry because that makes that you don't have respect for the fallen and injured riders either!
Hanaa80
11/29/2010 6:10am
MXMattii wrote:
Anyone know how the it worked out for Jeremy Whatley?? Hard to watch indeed but the spectators are just doing what they think it's best and...
Anyone know how the it worked out for Jeremy Whatley?? Hard to watch indeed but the spectators are just doing what they think it's best and because they don't want to see him hit by an other guy...

That makes me say this: The most MX riders doesn't have any respect for the yellow flag and the marshals and that makes me very angry because that makes that you don't have respect for the fallen and injured riders either!
For once I agree with you. =D

We have a worrying trend here in the mini classes where the kids disregard the yellow flags. Many times there's no consequences to them either for it. I hope this is only a Finnish problem.
mac3-d
11/29/2010 9:08am
jem whatley discolated his shoulder in this crash . the spectator draged him with this arm .being knocked out he would not have felt it but jem never reached much success after he returned to racing.pity
robkinuk
11/29/2010 12:36pm
His son Kristian Whatley is now a top rider for LPE Kawasaki team in UK.
MXMattii
11/29/2010 1:22pm
MXMattii wrote:
Anyone know how the it worked out for Jeremy Whatley?? Hard to watch indeed but the spectators are just doing what they think it's best and...

Hanaa80 wrote:
For once I agree with you. =D We have a worrying trend here in the mini classes where the kids disregard the yellow flags. Many times...
For once I agree with you. =D

We have a worrying trend here in the mini classes where the kids disregard the yellow flags. Many times there's no consequences to them either for it. I hope this is only a Finnish problem.
I think is a European problem If I look at Mini O's and Loretta's vidz then I don't see that stuff.
Then I see guys that slow down when they see a yellow flag. But here in EU they don't give a sanction when they ignore the yellow flag that is the problem I think.

Fun that we agree for once haha Laughing

Post a reply to: crowd "lynching" downed rider (vid)

The Latest