dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
radical...

im not sure of the race times....
|
Frodad78
8/15/2016 12:37pm
Damn, looks like a videogame! I think I'll have to tune in to this one.
Dtat720
8/15/2016 12:42pm
Nbc sports wed, thurs, friday, between 2-4 each day and i think 4-5 on friday for the finals. Should be a killer finals. Maris Strombergs from Latvia is going for 3 golds in a row. Marion Pajon going for 2, Caroline Buchanon going for gold as well. The US team is strong this year in mens and womens. Nic Long is the dark horse american, Connor Fields is the American favorite. A lot of talent and some really fast riders this year.
hvaughn88
8/15/2016 12:44pm
I am beyond stoked to watch this. I know there were some concerns voiced by the riders when the original track was built, but I think they changed up some sections. This is gonna be so fun to watch.
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
8/15/2016 12:49pm
I'd be out of breath by the first turn...

The Shop

RG1
8/15/2016 2:10pm
Looks so sick! The videos I've seen if it so far look amazing. Can't wait for the preliminary rounds to start. Cool to have BMX in The Olympics
jonesaustin
8/15/2016 2:15pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2016 2:16pm
for some reason this looks like a perfect track for the new generation electric motocross bikes.
Question
8/15/2016 2:18pm

A MX/SX team should try to bring a good BMX rider. It looks so big and technical, with no suspension, that I would not be surprised to see a top BMX guy starting MX at like 17 years old and coming in to win a SX 250 3 years later.
agn5009
8/15/2016 2:20pm
Question wrote:
A MX/SX team should try to bring a good BMX rider. It looks so big and technical, with no suspension, that I would not be surprised...

A MX/SX team should try to bring a good BMX rider. It looks so big and technical, with no suspension, that I would not be surprised to see a top BMX guy starting MX at like 17 years old and coming in to win a SX 250 3 years later.
Jeremy McGrath?
8/15/2016 2:21pm
Question wrote:
A MX/SX team should try to bring a good BMX rider. It looks so big and technical, with no suspension, that I would not be surprised...

Umm I would. Top moto guys dedicate their whole lives to moto. So for a bmx guy to win a title in 3 years is extremely unlikely
early
Fantasy
2231st
8/15/2016 2:21pm
Question wrote:

Like MC and Seely?

The NBC sports app (same one you watch the nationals with) allows you to watch live video, highlights and replays of all events including ones that arent on broadcast tv.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
8/15/2016 2:33pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2016 2:35pm
Question wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
Jeremy McGrath?
He wasnt a great BMX rider and he dint win a title in 3 years. Kyle Fleming was a great BMX kid who started racing and was one of the top 80 ex kids when he was killed.
Question
8/15/2016 2:35pm
Question wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
Jeremy McGrath?
UpTiTe wrote:
He wasnt a great BMX rider and he dint win a title in 3 years. Kyle Fleming was a great BMX kid who started racing and...
He wasnt a great BMX rider and he dint win a title in 3 years. Kyle Fleming was a great BMX kid who started racing and was one of the top 80 ex kids when he was killed.

Yup! And I think MC was nowhere near to the level of these guys in BMX. What they do technically, and in term of commitment, is quite mind blowing.
RG1
8/15/2016 2:43pm
Question wrote:

Kx125rider wrote:
Umm I would. Top moto guys dedicate their whole lives to moto. So for a bmx guy to win a title in 3 years is extremely...
Umm I would. Top moto guys dedicate their whole lives to moto. So for a bmx guy to win a title in 3 years is extremely unlikely
Paulin was a great BMX rider when he was a kid. He was either world or European champ I think. It wasn't many years from when he left BMX to winning his first GP
Ewan
8/15/2016 2:53pm
RG1 wrote:
Paulin was a great BMX rider when he was a kid. He was either world or European champ I think. It wasn't many years from when...
Paulin was a great BMX rider when he was a kid. He was either world or European champ I think. It wasn't many years from when he left BMX to winning his first GP
Paulin was ten when he held a world title in BMX, got into MX at 13 in 2003 and was scoring points in his first year of MX2 at World championship just 4 years later in 2007.

Pretty impressive transition.
Snapper
8/15/2016 2:57pm
Question wrote:

Kx125rider wrote:
Umm I would. Top moto guys dedicate their whole lives to moto. So for a bmx guy to win a title in 3 years is extremely...
RG1 wrote:
Paulin was a great BMX rider when he was a kid. He was either world or European champ I think. It wasn't many years from when...
You beat me to it. Pretty sure he was European champion then won a GP three years later.
TailSoHard
8/15/2016 2:58pm
agn5009 wrote:
Jeremy McGrath?
UpTiTe wrote:
He wasnt a great BMX rider and he dint win a title in 3 years. Kyle Fleming was a great BMX kid who started racing and...
Question wrote:
Yup! And I think MC was nowhere near to the level of these guys in BMX. What they do technically, and in term of commitment, is...

Yup! And I think MC was nowhere near to the level of these guys in BMX. What they do technically, and in term of commitment, is quite mind blowing.
Well technically MC was a "factory" BMX racer and was inducted into the BMX Hall of Fame...just sayin. I know it's probably because of his popularity on a MX bike and not his skill on a BMX bike, but still... it's not unimpressive by any means.

Besides, he raced BMX over 30 years ago when BMX was still young. A lot has changed since then. Track layout, riders, bikes, even the dirt...
Dtat720
8/15/2016 6:13pm
A shot for perspective, the size of these sx tracks are mondo. This is Corben Sharrah in the shot, the 3rd man on the US team.

hvaughn88
8/15/2016 6:21pm
As big as the jumps are, ya gotta like Caroline buchanan's chances in the women's class. She jumps like a dude. I really enjoy watching her ride.
Moto75
8/15/2016 8:09pm
Dtat720 wrote:
A shot for perspective, the size of these sx tracks are mondo. This is Corben Sharrah in the shot, the 3rd man on the US team...
A shot for perspective, the size of these sx tracks are mondo. This is Corben Sharrah in the shot, the 3rd man on the US team.

My son is way into it. Came away from Colombia ranked world #1 for his age this year. Not looking foward to him hitting jumps like this at all - lucky we have some time. These guys have to be so precise in their riding. The big jumps are really cool but IMO bad for the racing itself. Guys in the pack rubbing elbows won't get that good drive to hit the big jumps & have to bail out. The 8 man field gets narrowed to 1 or 2 riders in a couple straights just by virtue of loosing a little speed leading to a jump.
agn5009
8/15/2016 9:08pm
agn5009 wrote:
Jeremy McGrath?
UpTiTe wrote:
Question wrote:
Yup! And I think MC was nowhere near to the level of these guys in BMX. What they do technically, and in term of commitment, is...

Not many are/were at the level of these guys. There's a reason why it's the Olympics. MC was a very, very good BMX rider. Hes in the hall of fame, they don't hand that to anyone. Was the the best or one of the best ever? No, definitely not. But he was still extremely good. He was still a sponsored rider and a professional. So he was better than most.

Just for comparison, would you say Kevin Windham was one of the best ever? I wouldn't. He never won a 450 championship. Will he be inducted into the HOF? Yes, I would imagine. He was still better than 99.9℅ of the population. Even if Jeremy was "only" better than 90%, he was still an amazing BMX rider.
jgmxdad251
8/15/2016 9:57pm
Pictures of these tracks do them no justice, they are so huge looking in person. I've been down to the OTC in chula and it's crazy how big these obstacles are when your standing next to them.My son raced some amateur supercross this year and probably race supercross next year when he turns pro..... Hopefully Nic Long is ok. Saw a video of him eating shit pretty hard in practice today.
kunk
Fantasy
3033rd
8/15/2016 10:01pm
He beat Lopes that's not bad
RandyS
8/15/2016 10:07pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2016 10:10pm
McGraths skill racing BMX had nothing to do with why he is in the BMX HOF, it was a special category they made for him due to bringing BMX to a larger audience. I think at the time ABA thought it would get BMX some press. Troy Lee is also in it, I don't even know how that happened. But there are also a few pure BMX people in there who don't belong. The last few years have been better but there have still been several questionable picks. At one point a few years ago they let the general public vote and there were nominees getting hundreds if not thousands of people who knew nothing about it voting essentially stuffing the ballot box.

The Rio track is stupid, they already had to boycott it last year during the test event to get some things changed and I take it from something I heard from a friend whose child is there that it's becoming more survival than racing. The Olympics now has it's eyes of destroying skateboarding too in 4 years. Maybe they can figure out how to screw up motocross next.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
8/15/2016 10:15pm
Question wrote:

problem is teaching them to ride moto. BMX skills are very useful as they translate to moto and even sx but a kid would have to be riding mx already by their teens
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
8/15/2016 10:17pm
RandyS wrote:
McGraths skill racing BMX had nothing to do with why he is in the BMX HOF, it was a special category they made for him due...
McGraths skill racing BMX had nothing to do with why he is in the BMX HOF, it was a special category they made for him due to bringing BMX to a larger audience. I think at the time ABA thought it would get BMX some press. Troy Lee is also in it, I don't even know how that happened. But there are also a few pure BMX people in there who don't belong. The last few years have been better but there have still been several questionable picks. At one point a few years ago they let the general public vote and there were nominees getting hundreds if not thousands of people who knew nothing about it voting essentially stuffing the ballot box.

The Rio track is stupid, they already had to boycott it last year during the test event to get some things changed and I take it from something I heard from a friend whose child is there that it's becoming more survival than racing. The Olympics now has it's eyes of destroying skateboarding too in 4 years. Maybe they can figure out how to screw up motocross next.
Speaking of skateboarding. Shaun White was on tv tonight for a Bob Costas interview. White said he is considering making a run for the Olympics in skateboarding.
Question
8/16/2016 12:48am
UpTiTe wrote:
Question wrote:

TailSoHard wrote:
Well technically MC was a "factory" BMX racer and was inducted into the BMX Hall of Fame...just sayin. I know it's probably because of his popularity...
Well technically MC was a "factory" BMX racer and was inducted into the BMX Hall of Fame...just sayin. I know it's probably because of his popularity on a MX bike and not his skill on a BMX bike, but still... it's not unimpressive by any means.

Besides, he raced BMX over 30 years ago when BMX was still young. A lot has changed since then. Track layout, riders, bikes, even the dirt...

I had no clue he was at that level, I thought he was just a good BMX amateur rider, like among the good guys at a local club. HOF is huge, that explains even better why he put a clinic in SX Smile
KBOLTZ
8/16/2016 12:57am
Question wrote:

Kx125rider wrote:
As an x pro BMX rider I would have to agree with that. Sure we have a leg up on someone that hasn't spent life on two wheels but on average it's a lot different.
Bearuno
8/16/2016 1:46am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2016 3:46am
As a bloke who was in at the start of BMX in Australia, who has made thousands of frames and goes back to it between operations, I get a little sad when I see 'Road tyres' and tar (brick / pavers at some tracks)corners and jumps.

But, fair enough, it can make tracks "all weather' usable, and keep maintenance during events in hand. But hell, put most of the ( average, or even pretty high level ) riders on a dirt track, with wearing, rough , loose corners etc, and many are just lost at sea. So, they have (very) old, aggressive near cripples like me giving them a hard time.......

My biggest gripe is that tracks, even (my) local tracks, have become nearly ' All Pumping, All The Time' . Buggerall pedaling, and that shits me. I also wish they'd make the tracks much, much longer, especially at the Pro level.

The track being somewhat, shall we say, "Gonzo" at the Olympics , with just the Pros there is fair enough, too. But, the consequences of an eff up / tangle are going to be severe. I really, Really hope all stay safe.

It's the most spectacular sport in the Summer Olympics. We just need Down Hill in it - that will take a few old UCI, and many National level bigwiggs, to shuffle off this mortal coil, and, the dumping of one of the sacred, arcane Track Cycling events. It's not a 'new sport', just a different event in Cycling.

Post a reply to: check out the bmx 2016 supercross type olympic track

The Latest