can anyone recommend any budget build threads?

jamesdry
7/18/2018 5:19pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2018 8:09pm
Looking to read some build threads of older bikes made nice again with not a lot of money or fancy parts etc, mainly just getting the bike to run and work as should again.
|
calcoast
7/18/2018 6:31pm
Search in the bike build section. I've seen people put "budget build" in the title before.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
7/18/2018 9:22pm
Believe it or not but I paid $100 for this 2001 YZ125 and tricked it out without breaking the bank. Parts for the older YZs are all over Ebay for dirt cheap. I did spend money on a yellow tank and new pipe and carbon fiber silencer but I still have a complete set of blue plastic and FMF SST pipe and silencer. I have about $1200 in it the way it sits and that is with the 2004 forks that came with the ENZO sub tanks for $80 and the applied racing clamps top and bottom brand new for $100.

I could have just had it running in good shape for less than $400 but with all the low price ebay finds I went all out including all the carbon fiber for $50 and the yellow plastic with graphics for $70 and other odds and ends.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Old-School-Moto,22/01-YZ125-100,1305876

jamesdry
7/19/2018 1:38am
lostboy819 wrote:
Believe it or not but I paid $100 for this 2001 YZ125 and tricked it out without breaking the bank. Parts for the older YZs are...
Believe it or not but I paid $100 for this 2001 YZ125 and tricked it out without breaking the bank. Parts for the older YZs are all over Ebay for dirt cheap. I did spend money on a yellow tank and new pipe and carbon fiber silencer but I still have a complete set of blue plastic and FMF SST pipe and silencer. I have about $1200 in it the way it sits and that is with the 2004 forks that came with the ENZO sub tanks for $80 and the applied racing clamps top and bottom brand new for $100.

I could have just had it running in good shape for less than $400 but with all the low price ebay finds I went all out including all the carbon fiber for $50 and the yellow plastic with graphics for $70 and other odds and ends.

holy, that looks sick!

The Shop

7/19/2018 3:23am
lostboy819 wrote:
Believe it or not but I paid $100 for this 2001 YZ125 and tricked it out without breaking the bank. Parts for the older YZs are...

I lost your email, but I wanted to shoot you a message to see if you would be interested in selling that number plate back to me if you still had it. Let me know! apclark782@yahoo.com
DoctorJD
7/19/2018 4:19am
I would say that doing any good budget build is predicated on your ability as a mechanic, having the right tools, and having the willingness to apply gratuitous amounts of elbow grease on the project. Oh, and staying away from four-strokes.
pkiczuk
7/19/2018 4:29am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2018 4:30am
how the hell did you find that for $100??? (edit: nevermind, I just read the thread in your link)
great find! I've been trying to find a first time project and have a very low budget to start with. But I have time and patience so I don't mind it sitting for a bit while I buy parts a little at a time. Closest ive found is a guy selling a 97 kx 125 (im looking specifically for a kx 125) that is literally in pieces in a box. Says its a "complete" bike and he tore it down to redo everything and doesn't have the time. the dude wants $700 for it...yeah, not for something that 21 years old and is in a million pieces and has to be assembled.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
7/19/2018 8:16am
pkiczuk wrote:
how the hell did you find that for $100??? (edit: nevermind, I just read the thread in your link) great find! I've been trying to find...
how the hell did you find that for $100??? (edit: nevermind, I just read the thread in your link)
great find! I've been trying to find a first time project and have a very low budget to start with. But I have time and patience so I don't mind it sitting for a bit while I buy parts a little at a time. Closest ive found is a guy selling a 97 kx 125 (im looking specifically for a kx 125) that is literally in pieces in a box. Says its a "complete" bike and he tore it down to redo everything and doesn't have the time. the dude wants $700 for it...yeah, not for something that 21 years old and is in a million pieces and has to be assembled.
Guy wanted $300 and it was sitting on a stump with the back wheel off, My nephew kept calling him and went to look at it and said he would give him $100 to haul it off and after a little while the guy took it. I rebuilt the crank and top end and then it was in running shape and just started buy up deals on ebay like clamps ,forks,carbon fiber, Plastic kits etc etc lots of cheap stuff for 96-01 YZs
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
7/19/2018 8:18am
lostboy819 wrote:

I lost your email, but I wanted to shoot you a message to see if you would be interested in selling that number plate back to...
I lost your email, but I wanted to shoot you a message to see if you would be interested in selling that number plate back to me if you still had it. Let me know! apclark782@yahoo.com
lostboy819@gmail.com Let me look to see if I still have it somewhere.
zehn
7/19/2018 8:26am
pkiczuk wrote:
how the hell did you find that for $100??? (edit: nevermind, I just read the thread in your link) great find! I've been trying to find...
Offer him $200 or no deal
FWYT
7/19/2018 9:21am
DoctorJD wrote:
I would say that doing any good budget build is predicated on your ability as a mechanic, having the right tools, and having the willingness to...
I would say that doing any good budget build is predicated on your ability as a mechanic, having the right tools, and having the willingness to apply gratuitous amounts of elbow grease on the project. Oh, and staying away from four-strokes.
Yep, this is about the size of it.
Donovan759
7/19/2018 10:18am
jamesdry wrote:
Looking to read some build threads of older bikes made nice again with not a lot of money or fancy parts etc, mainly just getting the...
Looking to read some build threads of older bikes made nice again with not a lot of money or fancy parts etc, mainly just getting the bike to run and work as should again.
James, I would highly recommend using the search bar on www.vitalmx.com and searching for "budget builds". Make sure you put a space between the word "budget" and "build". Depending on your internet speed, you will most likely find exactly what you're looking for in less than 2 minutes.
jamesdry
7/19/2018 4:11pm
jamesdry wrote:
Looking to read some build threads of older bikes made nice again with not a lot of money or fancy parts etc, mainly just getting the...
Donovan759 wrote:
James, I would highly recommend using the search bar on www.vitalmx.com and searching for "budget builds". Make sure you put a space between the word "budget"...
James, I would highly recommend using the search bar on www.vitalmx.com and searching for "budget builds". Make sure you put a space between the word "budget" and "build". Depending on your internet speed, you will most likely find exactly what you're looking for in less than 2 minutes.
Will do thanks!
FWYT
7/19/2018 8:09pm
Actually, the bike I'm building now started out as a budget build. It got a little carried away when I swapped out the suspension for later model stuff which required different triple clamps and front wheel, but beyond that, it's kinda on the low budge side. Hell, I'm not even going to get new plastic for it! I just polished the old stuff. I even rigged up a DIY nickel plating rig to plate some of the parts.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/1995-YZ-250-No-frills-no-…

Like someone else said, it depends on your wrenching skills and how much time you want to put into it. In my case, virtually nothing is getting sent out save for powder coating the frame. I laced the wheels, assembled the motor and valved the suspension. No blingy/fancy parts except for the bolt kit.

Something I always seem to do, and it drives me insane even as I make every effort not to keep doing it - is that I don't do enough research and measuring for what parts to get. I end up spending $40.00 to replace a $10 seal or whatever because I didn't pay close enough attention to the retro-fit numbers or something. Drives me nuts.

But you'll be shocked at how much better you can make a bike just by stripping it ALL the way down, replacing bearings and seals, and then putting it back together spotless with lots of TLC.

Post a reply to: can anyone recommend any budget build threads?

The Latest