buy and run the CR 500 or KX500 production line

make1go
2/23/2018 1:10pm
doghouse wrote:
I think so, as does ML, who is pretty tuned in. I guess I would put the question to you why would you pay that much...
I think so, as does ML, who is pretty tuned in.

I guess I would put the question to you why would you pay that much money for a new bike when there are tons of used ones available? What are you gaining?

I've had no problem with parts personally, so not a factor in my decision making on this. There's a CR500 for sale in the classified section as we speak from the guy I bought mine from, a 2001 in great shape, for 4500 bucks or so.
For all his knowledge i doubt hes up on Euro vet racing, where money is often an afterthought. Plenty of boutique bikes and aftermarket manus in Europe.
The us doesnt alway reflect the world as far as markets go...
Of course we could just shut this convo down, take our lumps and watch some mind numbing TV..
PJRAUS
2/23/2018 1:15pm
If there was a legit demand for them KTM would probably be building one. Which would be amazing.
This....
But if you are really passionate about it, if you truly believe that there are a decent amount of serious buyers out there....you should perhaps look into using the Internet somehow to compile a sizeable list of names and contacts of people willing to sign up for a bike and give that list to KTM, they may still have the tooling for their old 500 motors and they could possibly fit that into a modified current 4 stroke chassis...do a limited production run strictly to fill a one off pre order...
All highly unlikely but worth a try in order to give yourself the satisfaction of saying you gave it your best shot...
doghouse
2/23/2018 1:17pm Edited Date/Time 2/23/2018 1:17pm
make1go wrote:
For all his knowledge i doubt hes up on Euro vet racing, where money is often an afterthought. Plenty of boutique bikes and aftermarket manus in...
For all his knowledge i doubt hes up on Euro vet racing, where money is often an afterthought. Plenty of boutique bikes and aftermarket manus in Europe.
Of course we could just shut this convo down, take our lumps and watch some mind numbing TV..
What sort of gibberish did you just write?

I said like two post up it's a fun conversation, and nobody said anything about limiting to the US market, Mike just used that as a numbers qualified.

Anyway, the OP was about CR or KX 500s. They are already in abundance. If money isn't an issue, import them to Europe till your hearts content.
kott0n
Fantasy
3769th
2/23/2018 1:17pm
You can buy a brand new 500cc honda 2 stoke motor right now. Company is Panthera out Canada and it has electric start.

People put CR500 motors in KTM's, zooks etc and obv Honda's. They vibrate when you idle or put around but mine sings when on the pipe.I love my CR5000 in '08 CRF250R frame.

I'm bias but even still I would buy a KTM 300 FI/e start/counter balanced if I were buying new but I will never sell the 500 and would add more used 500/250/125 smokers to the stable.

The Shop

2/23/2018 1:19pm
If there was a legit demand for them KTM would probably be building one. Which would be amazing.
PJRAUS wrote:
This.... But if you are really passionate about it, if you truly believe that there are a decent amount of serious buyers out there....you should perhaps...
This....
But if you are really passionate about it, if you truly believe that there are a decent amount of serious buyers out there....you should perhaps look into using the Internet somehow to compile a sizeable list of names and contacts of people willing to sign up for a bike and give that list to KTM, they may still have the tooling for their old 500 motors and they could possibly fit that into a modified current 4 stroke chassis...do a limited production run strictly to fill a one off pre order...
All highly unlikely but worth a try in order to give yourself the satisfaction of saying you gave it your best shot...
Well, in my original post, this Canadian company seems to have put a great effort into developing a modern 500 for a KTM.

https://www.facebook.com/brcracingcanada/

This looks like a very detailed effort, with highly sophisticated computer models and proper manufacturing. However, cost is very very high. I am very keen to see how well they do.

If I were KTM I'd be watching this closely and buy their work and sell as aftermarket or upgrade - a bit like Mountune do for Ford in the UK, allowing you to retain a warranty.

Not quite as nice as a factory fresh 500 but near enough
kott0n
Fantasy
3769th
2/23/2018 1:25pm
A modern 500 sure, old tooled 500's? No.

The males of today can't handle a 18hp jump in 500rpm. Bikes dont explode with power anymore, they gradually ramp up.
doghouse
2/23/2018 1:28pm
stuckmojo wrote:
Well, in my original post, this Canadian company seems to have put a great effort into developing a modern 500 for a KTM. https://www.facebook.com/brcracingcanada/ This looks...
Well, in my original post, this Canadian company seems to have put a great effort into developing a modern 500 for a KTM.

https://www.facebook.com/brcracingcanada/

This looks like a very detailed effort, with highly sophisticated computer models and proper manufacturing. However, cost is very very high. I am very keen to see how well they do.

If I were KTM I'd be watching this closely and buy their work and sell as aftermarket or upgrade - a bit like Mountune do for Ford in the UK, allowing you to retain a warranty.

Not quite as nice as a factory fresh 500 but near enough
It definitely looks cool, I'm gonna keep my eye on it
doghouse
2/23/2018 1:30pm
kott0n wrote:
You can buy a brand new 500cc honda 2 stoke motor right now. Company is Panthera out Canada and it has electric start. People put CR500...
You can buy a brand new 500cc honda 2 stoke motor right now. Company is Panthera out Canada and it has electric start.

People put CR500 motors in KTM's, zooks etc and obv Honda's. They vibrate when you idle or put around but mine sings when on the pipe.I love my CR5000 in '08 CRF250R frame.

I'm bias but even still I would buy a KTM 300 FI/e start/counter balanced if I were buying new but I will never sell the 500 and would add more used 500/250/125 smokers to the stable.
They don't vibrate near as bad in steel frames as aluminum. That's really the biggest drawback to AFs imom
kott0n
Fantasy
3769th
2/23/2018 1:33pm
kott0n wrote:
You can buy a brand new 500cc honda 2 stoke motor right now. Company is Panthera out Canada and it has electric start. People put CR500...

doghouse wrote:
They don't vibrate near as bad in steel frames as aluminum. That's really the biggest drawback to AFs imom
Yes, I agree. I can really only feel it in my feet/hands when I'm idle or off the pipe. As soon as you get on the gas it smooths out.
doghouse
2/23/2018 1:36pm
kott0n wrote:
Yes, I agree. I can really only feel it in my feet/hands when I'm idle or off the pipe. As soon as you get on the...
Yes, I agree. I can really only feel it in my feet/hands when I'm idle or off the pipe. As soon as you get on the gas it smooths out.
For sure. The AF is sweet when ripping
captmoto
2/23/2018 2:37pm Edited Date/Time 2/23/2018 2:38pm
doghouse wrote:
You'd buy a 20k bike? Because I specifically said I wouldn't buy a new old 500, only a completely new factory tested and designed one that...
You'd buy a 20k bike? Because I specifically said I wouldn't buy a new old 500, only a completely new factory tested and designed one that had as much development as the current 450s. I'd want modern EFI, chassis, suspension, most likely direct injection and variable intake and exhaust porting, etc...
I don't know Doggie. Look at all the guys that buy a brand new bike, throw $1g exhausts, cone valve forks, bling everything, powder coat their nipples and $1500 worth of wheels to go drag race down at the gravel pit. They are still probably sporting a mullet, Oakley Blades and parachute pants. It could happen.
justpinit
2/23/2018 2:45pm
The 500 2-stroke has really seen a lot of usage recently in the snowbike world! Lots of project bikes being built strictly as snowbikes that never see dirt.

2/23/2018 4:11pm
I don’t think building entire bikes would be feasible whatsoever. Just wouldn’t get off the ground imo.

What would most likely be the best option is building new cast crate motors. People would buy them either as replacements, or for projects. Much wider market, especially if you somehow had the molds and tooling for 125s, 250s, and 500s. Good cases and OEM cranks can be hard to come by. If you could somehow maintain OEM quality for cranks and cases, you’d be in business.
Frank
2/23/2018 4:20pm
I would buy a KTM500sx the day they announce it for anything under $10k.
doghouse
2/23/2018 4:22pm
Frank wrote:
I would buy a KTM500sx the day they announce it for anything under $10k.
Yeah, the under 10k part is the kicker.
tempura
2/23/2018 4:36pm
The majority of the tooling has long gone. Drawings still exist, but will never be sold.
Even if you had access, I think you're underestimating the costs involved in producing a bike from scratch, all the way to being on the showroom floor waiting for a buyer.
JM485
2/23/2018 4:42pm
kott0n wrote:
A modern 500 sure, old tooled 500's? No. The males of today can't handle a 18hp jump in 500rpm. Bikes dont explode with power anymore, they...

The males of today can't handle a 18hp jump in 500rpm. Bikes dont explode with power anymore, they gradually ramp up.
A 500 doesn't explode with power, and is one of the easiest bikes to ride. . . I've been racing one since I was 16.

(22 year old pussy millennial here btw)
Frank
2/23/2018 4:50pm
kott0n wrote:
A modern 500 sure, old tooled 500's? No. The males of today can't handle a 18hp jump in 500rpm. Bikes dont explode with power anymore, they...

JM485 wrote:
A 500 doesn't explode with power, and is one of the easiest bikes to ride. . . I've been racing one since I was 16. (22...
A 500 doesn't explode with power, and is one of the easiest bikes to ride. . . I've been racing one since I was 16.

Proud of you son. You ain't wrong with your statement. The sport took a turn for the worse when they thought lap times = fun. They dropped the 500 and 125 for this reason. Not sure about the rest of you but fun is the ONLY thing that matters to me.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
2/23/2018 5:04pm
tempura wrote:
The majority of the tooling has long gone. Drawings still exist, but will never be sold. Even if you had access, I think you're underestimating the...
The majority of the tooling has long gone. Drawings still exist, but will never be sold.
Even if you had access, I think you're underestimating the costs involved in producing a bike from scratch, all the way to being on the showroom floor waiting for a buyer.
This.

Keep in mind that Honda and Kawasaki, the people who already own the tooling and factories to make the bikes, along with having all the supply chain and labor intact to build them, along with ample production line time (I'm guessing, since there's been a worldwide downturn in motorcycle sales,) have both decided that it's not in their best interest to release any new versions of the existing designs. Existing designs which would cost absolutely NOTHING in R&D. This means only one thing: it is, quite literally, not worth the manpower to build a 500cc two-stroke out of scrap parts they have laying around or can get in short order.
Doddy
2/23/2018 5:33pm
Since Yamaha was late to the party with the 65, perhaps they will build a new 500!?!
onefiveight
2/23/2018 5:40pm
PJRAUS wrote:
This.... But if you are really passionate about it, if you truly believe that there are a decent amount of serious buyers out there....you should perhaps...
This....
No harm in trying! I love the idea of the 500 and that is in part due to the nostalgia given that no one makes them anymore. I ride a 125 (167 actually) and it is a ton of fun but I rode a friend’s 17 Husky 250 and I felt like a complete hillbilly. Could have been the track though, Ione Sands, I thought I knew how to ride sand...turns out I had never been on a proper sand track lol
JM485
2/23/2018 6:06pm
kott0n wrote:

JM485 wrote:
A 500 doesn't explode with power, and is one of the easiest bikes to ride. . . I've been racing one since I was 16. (22...

Frank wrote:
Proud of you son. You ain't wrong with your statement. The sport took a turn for the worse when they thought lap times = fun. They...
Proud of you son. You ain't wrong with your statement. The sport took a turn for the worse when they thought lap times = fun. They dropped the 500 and 125 for this reason. Not sure about the rest of you but fun is the ONLY thing that matters to me.
Dilly Dilly!

To be fair, it’s mostly raced in hillclimb, but I’ve been known to bring it out to the track and make old guys happy.Cool . They really don’t handle all that terrible either, I even ran mine in a straight rhythm race and it was all good. It on my YouTube channel (same as the IG name in my signature) on the off chance you want to check it out, it over a year ago now though.
make1go
2/23/2018 6:30pm
make1go wrote:
For all his knowledge i doubt hes up on Euro vet racing, where money is often an afterthought. Plenty of boutique bikes and aftermarket manus in...
doghouse wrote:
What sort of gibberish did you just write? I said like two post up it's a fun conversation, and nobody said anything about limiting to the...
What sort of gibberish did you just write?

I said like two post up it's a fun conversation, and nobody said anything about limiting to the US market, Mike just used that as a numbers qualified.

Anyway, the OP was about CR or KX 500s. They are already in abundance. If money isn't an issue, import them to Europe till your hearts content.
Sorry if my writing is above your level, sorry if my humor is above your head, im sorry for you..
2/23/2018 7:04pm
I wonder what kinda production numbers companies like DASA are doing in the stand up jetski market. I have several friends who don't even bat an eye at dropping 9k on an engine for their ski. Cylinder, cases, everythings billet too
skidmarkz
2/23/2018 7:11pm Edited Date/Time 2/23/2018 7:16pm
tempura wrote:
The majority of the tooling has long gone. Drawings still exist, but will never be sold. Even if you had access, I think you're underestimating the...
Falcon wrote:
This. Keep in mind that Honda and Kawasaki, the people who already own the tooling and factories to make the bikes, along with having all the...
This.

Keep in mind that Honda and Kawasaki, the people who already own the tooling and factories to make the bikes, along with having all the supply chain and labor intact to build them, along with ample production line time (I'm guessing, since there's been a worldwide downturn in motorcycle sales,) have both decided that it's not in their best interest to release any new versions of the existing designs. Existing designs which would cost absolutely NOTHING in R&D. This means only one thing: it is, quite literally, not worth the manpower to build a 500cc two-stroke out of scrap parts they have laying around or can get in short order.
Even if the OEM tooling no longer exists, technology has continued to march on. This video was done 6 years ago. Might not be financially viable from a production standpoint, but it can be done. Maybe spare parts support? Probably still gonna be expensive no doubt.

https://youtu.be/q3SVTBrKyZk
cable
2/23/2018 8:09pm
I have a few cr500s and i liked the ktm380sx engine better. Handled horrible though. How big can the new ktm 300sx or 250sx get bored or machined to?
gsxr6
2/23/2018 10:31pm Edited Date/Time 2/23/2018 10:32pm
BobbyM wrote:
Dream on
ML512 wrote:
The man has spoken.
Ktm uses the same chassis. They could produce a new two stroke motor the same cost as a 250 to them. Cheaper than an all new four stroke engine( this is easy part lol.) It should be cheaper than an sxf. Less parts to build. Just announce it's a two or three year run in advance of release. They'll sellout
kott0n
Fantasy
3769th
2/23/2018 10:56pm
kott0n wrote:

JM485 wrote:

Show me another MX bike with a 18hp jump in 500 rpms and make 58hp by 7500rpms.

Post a reply to: buy and run the CR 500 or KX500 production line

The Latest