brand new pw50 dealer fees.

1/27/2019 11:50am
Used to buy up all the non running PW's I found. Most were abandoned from our dealers service department. Usually paying the estimate fee or less. This one was $100. Before and after pics. Had less than $500 in it, total including purchase price. Never paid more than $150 for them.

1/27/2019 11:54am
Gave $600 for this a few years back. It had less than an hour on it. The deals are still out there, if you look hard enough and act fast.

1/27/2019 11:59am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2019 12:00pm
Overpaid for this one. $120 . Had about $550 in it total.

4csHATER
1/27/2019 12:12pm
drifto614 wrote:
Bad advice... Unless his kid has a chance to win Loretta's which it sounds like they are just starting off, it's a total waste. You can...
Bad advice... Unless his kid has a chance to win Loretta's which it sounds like they are just starting off, it's a total waste. You can get one for $600-800 in great condition. No point in modifying a pw50
just buy new, have bought used and new, time spent on troublesome used has been time i could have used to make my money back on buying new, the goal is to give your children the best possible because your a father and that what you do, if you already are second guessing your decision then your kid wont go that far in moto, we all know what you should do, and so do you. would you buy a used bike for yourself?

The Shop

BobPA
1/27/2019 12:24pm
4csHATER wrote:
just buy new, have bought used and new, time spent on troublesome used has been time i could have used to make my money back on...
just buy new, have bought used and new, time spent on troublesome used has been time i could have used to make my money back on buying new, the goal is to give your children the best possible because your a father and that what you do, if you already are second guessing your decision then your kid wont go that far in moto, we all know what you should do, and so do you. would you buy a used bike for yourself?
PW50’s are the easiest bikes on the planet to fix. Down time should be minimal, not like you are going to be swapping cranks and clutches all the time.
4csHATER
1/27/2019 1:26pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2019 1:29pm
BobPA wrote:
PW50’s are the easiest bikes on the planet to fix. Down time should be minimal, not like you are going to be swapping cranks and clutches...
PW50’s are the easiest bikes on the planet to fix. Down time should be minimal, not like you are going to be swapping cranks and clutches all the time.
guess you never had a rider that was shredding them, my son cracked two frames and went theough 4 clutches. He was 4.

after three of them and 4k later we decided ktm was our best route, you never know whats going to come out of a kid, but if your motoing, i would suggest new, op can do whatever they may please, but at the end of the day just like everyone else has said buy new ride it, resell is better when you do and no hassle when you get it home, start and start making progress. not , well son you cant ride it yet cause i bought you a pile of junk and when your son/daughter sees what you got him/her and yet he/she cant ride it cause it takes work when he/she sees other kids shredding theres he/she will know what they are worth to you when new was an option, and the kids are riding there new ones around you all in circles with the used one.

i know the difference and have been down the path both ways, the chinese 100$ clutches do not perform any where near the oem and the oem clutch with gaskets and new stuff surrounding the clutches is almost 450$ everytime. good luck, your money ahead to buy new.
1/27/2019 4:18pm
SIMX2 wrote:
Sad thing is now all the CL pdubs are $600-$800, for 15-18 yr old bikes!!WoohooWoohoo
I dont know why you would ever buy a brand new PW50....they run forever, super cheap to maintain...fresh set of plastics is $50. Pay $600 and...
I dont know why you would ever buy a brand new PW50....they run forever, super cheap to maintain...fresh set of plastics is $50. Pay $600 and sell it for $600 later.....So for all of you that buy brand new PW50's...Thank You for your service.
Strong reading comprehension skills. If you don’t live paycheck to paycheck and can afford a new one outright, you will be money ahead when you go...
Strong reading comprehension skills.

If you don’t live paycheck to paycheck and can afford a new one outright, you will be money ahead when you go to sell it. A 600$ PW50 that isnt 30 years old and runs is impossible to find. At least in my area
GasGasOrAss....I'm not sure what I said that indicated my reading skills were below par...just made a general comment...wasn't trying to trigger anyone. By all means, purchase a brand new one, pays the fees and thank the dealer but purchasing some merch at his store. Happy kid...Happy Daddy.
1/27/2019 10:02pm
jbrown15 wrote:
I may not be in motorcycle sales but I’ve been in sales for 20 years, and if I know something it’s you need to make money...
I may not be in motorcycle sales but I’ve been in sales for 20 years, and if I know something it’s you need to make money to stay in business. I know when I sell something I need to try to make at least 20% profit margin, it’s how we keep the doors open. So I have a hard time believing dealerships lose money on bikes. I would have to assume the manufactures have monthly rebates to help offset the BS numbers they show to customers as “this is my cost”. Otherwise there would be no dealerships around to sell bikes for the manufactures, and last time I checked there’s no internet direct business models for motorcycle manufactures.
SPYGUY wrote:
In what other industry (besides cars) does a business TELL YOU what they paid for something and then offer to sell it to you at cost...
In what other industry (besides cars) does a business TELL YOU what they paid for something and then offer to sell it to you at cost or just above cost? Business doesn't work that way and it's funny to me how so many people are convinced that this one is the exception.

People really think that these dealerships, some of them with millions of dollars in overhead, are going to take all of the risks of being in business for 2% margins? That's laugh out loud funny. Common sense should tell people that those numbers don't add up but apparently everyone that ever sold spark plugs at a dealership had access to the books and can verify that the owners weren't making anything! Laughing

Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely for businesses making money which is why I'd much rather them just come out and say "This is how we put food on the table" rather than feed me the "We aren't making a dime on this sale" bullshit. I find it insulting.
I've already said this over and over

It's incredibly easy to inquire about becoming a dealer. So instead of posting an opinion about what you THINK you know based off zero facts - why not do some research

Powersports industry is dead for a host of reasons. Dirtbikes have about 10-15 percent margin on a unit from msrp to purchase price. OEMS have internal methods to try to boost sales - one such method is if you are a yamaha dealer for example - and sell 5 bikes of one unit - next year yamaha crams down you throat 5 units (even if the 5 were total fluke for the year and say 1 customer bought them all)
this means there are too many bikes to be sold each year across the country - keeping demand low and for smaller dealers - sitting on this cash kills them. They dump bikes a loss all the time to just get out from under it

Now - the big 6 have back end incentives based on nationwide sales numbers. SO - for example - if bikes arent selling well across the country, yamaha will give a rebate to the dealer to push the sales. It generally applies to every sale - aka if a dealer does well and sells them at or close to retail - then later on a rebate comes out - they pocket this. But it's small. Less than 10 percent, making total margin possible if they charge shipping, fees, assembly, etc to about 20 percent if sold at retail.
Since modern consumer think dirtbikes should be free - dealers have had to compete for a long time and have ruined margins. 2-5 percent TOPS on average for the industry.

On a PW - the shipping price, if not charged, is the margin on that bike.

Then there are statewide dealer license fees - state taxes, property taxes, overhead of the shop, salesman commission - he should just sell that for free right?

It USED to be the parts sales and gear, accessories etc would make the dealer money - this is where the no margin bikes started. Give the bike away - but get them on parts which have 40 percent margin at msrp.

With the internet - this died - as people felt 10-15 percent off was reason enough to shop online - and local dealer became turned off by the thought of stocking parts that made them 20 percent rather than 40 - because of online shopping competition - so parts stock status/risk taking dropped off.
Now you cant get seat bolts at most dealers.

If side by sides hadn't come about - the modern powersports dealer would be totally gone. In 08-12 a ton of them DID close...

I currently sell tms and the deal is about 10-12 percent plus shipping I pay to the shop.
They have NO incentives at the end of the year as far as rebates go - and I pay up front for the bikes with no internal financing from TM

I do it because they are cool - no other reason. Even if I get retail - on a 6500 dollar bike you are looking at 800 bucks...and I have to build the bike - about 1.5 hours, put fluids (thats money), store it (money), lug it around to showcase it (money), and I haven't had a deal to date that hasn't required multiple phone calls, tons of effort on my part - and time. Call it 2-3 hours best case towards one sale - usually more. People like to talk and bullshit - myself included.

I can knock out a 5 sets of fork seals in that time - and make way better money
Or a port job
Or dyno testing
etc etc etc.

We looked into a yamaha franchise that's available in this area - same basic terms and margins, if you opt in to their floorplan program, the interest kicks in and wipes out your profit quickly too.
Couple with the fact that yamaha and others now all want about 1 million up front investment to start off - in inventory, a building requirement that will set most people back 1 million, and the property taxes that go along with that.

It's brutal.

If a dealer is successful - it's all on getting close to retail on parts, accessories, gear, etc. Customer loyalty is dying off, making this hard

My local powersports dealer - multi line - wont touch dirtbikes. They have their min requirements - and the salescrew will practically run away when you come in asking for a bike. At retail I think the salesman makes under 50 bucks commission - not great!

Indy mxer
1/28/2019 4:55am
jbrown15 wrote:
I may not be in motorcycle sales but I’ve been in sales for 20 years, and if I know something it’s you need to make money...
I may not be in motorcycle sales but I’ve been in sales for 20 years, and if I know something it’s you need to make money to stay in business. I know when I sell something I need to try to make at least 20% profit margin, it’s how we keep the doors open. So I have a hard time believing dealerships lose money on bikes. I would have to assume the manufactures have monthly rebates to help offset the BS numbers they show to customers as “this is my cost”. Otherwise there would be no dealerships around to sell bikes for the manufactures, and last time I checked there’s no internet direct business models for motorcycle manufactures.
SPYGUY wrote:
In what other industry (besides cars) does a business TELL YOU what they paid for something and then offer to sell it to you at cost...
In what other industry (besides cars) does a business TELL YOU what they paid for something and then offer to sell it to you at cost or just above cost? Business doesn't work that way and it's funny to me how so many people are convinced that this one is the exception.

People really think that these dealerships, some of them with millions of dollars in overhead, are going to take all of the risks of being in business for 2% margins? That's laugh out loud funny. Common sense should tell people that those numbers don't add up but apparently everyone that ever sold spark plugs at a dealership had access to the books and can verify that the owners weren't making anything! Laughing

Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely for businesses making money which is why I'd much rather them just come out and say "This is how we put food on the table" rather than feed me the "We aren't making a dime on this sale" bullshit. I find it insulting.
I've already said this over and over It's incredibly easy to inquire about becoming a dealer. So instead of posting an opinion about what you THINK...

It's incredibly easy to inquire about becoming a dealer. So instead of posting an opinion about what you THINK you know based off zero facts - why not do some research

Powersports industry is dead for a host of reasons. Dirtbikes have about 10-15 percent margin on a unit from msrp to purchase price. OEMS have internal methods to try to boost sales - one such method is if you are a yamaha dealer for example - and sell 5 bikes of one unit - next year yamaha crams down you throat 5 units (even if the 5 were total fluke for the year and say 1 customer bought them all)
this means there are too many bikes to be sold each year across the country - keeping demand low and for smaller dealers - sitting on this cash kills them. They dump bikes a loss all the time to just get out from under it

Now - the big 6 have back end incentives based on nationwide sales numbers. SO - for example - if bikes arent selling well across the country, yamaha will give a rebate to the dealer to push the sales. It generally applies to every sale - aka if a dealer does well and sells them at or close to retail - then later on a rebate comes out - they pocket this. But it's small. Less than 10 percent, making total margin possible if they charge shipping, fees, assembly, etc to about 20 percent if sold at retail.
Since modern consumer think dirtbikes should be free - dealers have had to compete for a long time and have ruined margins. 2-5 percent TOPS on average for the industry.

Then there are statewide dealer license fees - state taxes, property taxes, overhead of the shop, salesman commission - he should just sell that for free right?

It USED to be the parts sales and gear, accessories etc would make the dealer money - this is where the no margin bikes started. Give the bike away - but get them on parts which have 40 percent margin at msrp.

With the internet - this died - as people felt 10-15 percent off was reason enough to shop online - and local dealer became turned off by the thought of stocking parts that made them 20 percent rather than 40 - because of online shopping competition - so parts stock status/risk taking dropped off.

If side by sides hadn't come about - the modern powersports dealer would be totally gone. In 08-12 a ton of them DID close...

I currently sell tms and the deal is about 10-12 percent plus shipping I pay to the shop.
They have NO incentives at the end of the year as far as rebates go - and I pay up front for the bikes with no internal financing from TM

I do it because they are cool - no other reason. Even if I get retail - on a 6500 dollar bike you are looking at 800 bucks...and I have to build the bike - about 1.5 hours, put fluids (thats money), store it (money), lug it around to showcase it (money), and I haven't had a deal to date that hasn't required multiple phone calls, tons of effort on my part - and time. Call it 2-3 hours best case towards one sale - usually more. People like to talk and bullshit - myself included.

Or a port job
Or dyno testing
etc etc etc.

We looked into a yamaha franchise that's available in this area - same basic terms and margins, if you opt in to their floorplan program, the interest kicks in and wipes out your profit quickly too.
Couple with the fact that yamaha and others now all want about 1 million up front investment to start off - in inventory, a building requirement that will set most people back 1 million, and the property taxes that go along with that.

It's brutal.

If a dealer is successful - it's all on getting close to retail on parts, accessories, gear, etc. Customer loyalty is dying off, making this hard

My local powersports dealer - multi line - wont touch dirtbikes. They have their min requirements - and the salescrew will practically run away when you come in asking for a bike. At retail I think the salesman makes under 50 bucks commission - not great!

THANK YOU!! Very well put.

I've been trying to say the same thing all thru this thread but some just won't listen.
My brother only stocks mx bikes (Suzuki and Kawasaki) because he loves and rides mx.
No money in selling them. And you're spot on about parts and gear. That used to be where you actually made money in that market. Not now.

GasGasOrAss
1/28/2019 5:22am
jbrown15 wrote:
SPYGUY wrote:

I've already said this over and over It's incredibly easy to inquire about becoming a dealer. So instead of posting an opinion about what you THINK...

Or a port job
Or dyno testing
etc etc etc.

It's brutal.

So what you’re saying is you can get me a TM 300 for 6500$ and do you stock 6D helmets? I wouldn’t mind one of those for 40% off
peltier626
1/28/2019 7:46am
BobPA wrote:
PW50’s are the easiest bikes on the planet to fix. Down time should be minimal, not like you are going to be swapping cranks and clutches...
4csHATER wrote:
guess you never had a rider that was shredding them, my son cracked two frames and went theough 4 clutches. He was 4. after three of...
guess you never had a rider that was shredding them, my son cracked two frames and went theough 4 clutches. He was 4.

after three of them and 4k later we decided ktm was our best route, you never know whats going to come out of a kid, but if your motoing, i would suggest new, op can do whatever they may please, but at the end of the day just like everyone else has said buy new ride it, resell is better when you do and no hassle when you get it home, start and start making progress. not , well son you cant ride it yet cause i bought you a pile of junk and when your son/daughter sees what you got him/her and yet he/she cant ride it cause it takes work when he/she sees other kids shredding theres he/she will know what they are worth to you when new was an option, and the kids are riding there new ones around you all in circles with the used one.

i know the difference and have been down the path both ways, the chinese 100$ clutches do not perform any where near the oem and the oem clutch with gaskets and new stuff surrounding the clutches is almost 450$ everytime. good luck, your money ahead to buy new.
My son convinced me yesterday that it's almost time to move up from the PW50. I have some questions you might be able to assist me with. I'm considering the ktm/husky 50sxmini. I was wondering if it can be later modified with the 50Sx suspension component's to extend the ride time as he grows older. I've also heard horror stories about the clutches and stators. How has your experience been with these bikes. Any info would be considered helpful. Thanks.
1/28/2019 8:11am
I find the moto guys are wheeler dealers. And need to pay nothing for a bike.

Side by side guys show up. Get a Yamaha card buy a $20,000 Yamaha sxs and put 5000 more in accessories in the card. No wheeling......no wonder dealerships don’t wanna sell dirtbikes!
1/28/2019 8:12am
BobPA wrote:
4csHATER wrote:
guess you never had a rider that was shredding them, my son cracked two frames and went theough 4 clutches. He was 4. after three of...

peltier626 wrote:
My son convinced me yesterday that it's almost time to move up from the PW50. I have some questions you might be able to assist me...
My son convinced me yesterday that it's almost time to move up from the PW50. I have some questions you might be able to assist me with. I'm considering the ktm/husky 50sxmini. I was wondering if it can be later modified with the 50Sx suspension component's to extend the ride time as he grows older. I've also heard horror stories about the clutches and stators. How has your experience been with these bikes. Any info would be considered helpful. Thanks.
What about one of those minis. Then pick up an electric bike after that when they come out....
GasGasOrAss
1/28/2019 8:43am
I find the moto guys are wheeler dealers. And need to pay nothing for a bike. Side by side guys show up. Get a Yamaha card...

Side by side guys show up. Get a Yamaha card buy a $20,000 Yamaha sxs and put 5000 more in accessories in the card. No wheeling......no wonder dealerships don’t wanna sell dirtbikes!
To be fair, SxS guys are complete ass clowns
early
Fantasy
2231st
1/28/2019 8:54am
I find the moto guys are wheeler dealers. And need to pay nothing for a bike. Side by side guys show up. Get a Yamaha card...

Who cares about fees when you have financing
1/28/2019 9:44am
So what you’re saying is you can get me a TM 300 for 6500$ and do you stock 6D helmets? I wouldn’t mind one of those...
So what you’re saying is you can get me a TM 300 for 6500$ and do you stock 6D helmets? I wouldn’t mind one of those for 40% off
Nope Sad

TM 85cc or 100 around that price....
And no 6d for me Smile great helmets though

Off hand - from our experience - most aftermarket parts/gear have around 25-30 percent msrp margin - which no one pays, but some of the higher ticket items have hardly any.

Boots is brutally tough market.

And I never understood why online retailers or anyone sells tires at what they do. Might as well pay the customer for the tire...
peltier626
1/28/2019 10:19am
4csHATER wrote:

peltier626 wrote:
My son convinced me yesterday that it's almost time to move up from the PW50. I have some questions you might be able to assist me...
What about one of those minis. Then pick up an electric bike after that when they come out....
I really would consider the E bikes but he ride's the Pw for about 3-4hrs at the track, when it's the kids turn on the main track he's riding that and when it's big bikes he gets off the main track and heads straight to the kids track. Back and forth all day long. I think the run time for the E bikes is only 25 minutes of moto or 2hrs trail. Not sure if that will work but I will consider them. As far as the 50sx's I'm just curious as to the known problems or pointers to be aware of with the tikes.
1/28/2019 11:19am
We went and looked at bikes on Saturday.
My son lit up on the PW50. DRZ and CRF he didnt seem interested in. I know the PW is right for us but I am a diehard Honda guy.

Is it reasonable to ask the dealer to throw in pants and a jersey if I pay full retail on the bike?

Stuntman949
1/28/2019 11:22am Edited Date/Time 1/28/2019 11:23am
Overpaid for this one. $120 . Had about $550 in it total. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/27/321072/s1200_100_1297_4.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/27/321071/s1200_100_1159_2.jpg[/img]
Overpaid for this one. $120 . Had about $550 in it total.

Mounting those tires break your knuckles and question your sanity? The size, not the color
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
1/28/2019 11:37am
SPYGUY wrote:
Invoice price isn't a real number anymore. It's just a marketing tool to make the weak minded feel like they're getting a price so good that...
Invoice price isn't a real number anymore. It's just a marketing tool to make the weak minded feel like they're getting a price so good that there's no room to negotiate.

No business owner is going to fork out thousands upon thousands of dollars for something with such a small return on investment. You can believe that or choose to keep your head buried in the sand, but it's just the way the world works.

Strangely enough, I feel like sometimes the salesmen selling these things are the most oblivious of them all.
BobPA wrote:
Wildy inaccurate. I also work for a dealer and see the “behind the scenes” numbers. You guys would be surprised how little is made on the...
Wildy inaccurate. I also work for a dealer and see the “behind the scenes” numbers. You guys would be surprised how little is made on the sale of a unit. If you make $200 on a kids ATV or motorcycle, when it is all said and done, you are prouder than a peacock. Margins are non existent on a $1500 unit.

And yes, dealers are charged freight...It is most definitely not a BS sales tactic. Most just eat it to help move a unit before it starts costing you $ in interest.
Charging $899, $1299, $1799 or even $1999 in "freight" and or/ "setup" is complete BS. It happens where I live every day.

$100-$500 in freight depending on model, OK.
"$40-$100 in PDI depending on model, OK.

This is assuming you feel it's OK to excuse the dealer for having normal business expenses that he should cover in his markup, and also pretending you don't know about holdback that the dealership earns. The dealer has the right to ask for whatever he wants, but I feel it's disingenuous to call it "freight and setup" or any other similar moniker.
A local dealer used to call it "Additional Dealer Markup," and kudos to them.

I am speaking mostly about larger motorcycles, BTW. PW50s have very little, even by way of percentage, which is BS that the OEM drops onto the dealers. In the case of the PW, dealers lose if they sell it for MSRP. It's probably true of most little bikes.
4csHATER
1/28/2019 1:23pm
We went and looked at bikes on Saturday. My son lit up on the PW50. DRZ and CRF he didnt seem interested in. I know the...
We went and looked at bikes on Saturday.
My son lit up on the PW50. DRZ and CRF he didnt seem interested in. I know the PW is right for us but I am a diehard Honda guy.

Is it reasonable to ask the dealer to throw in pants and a jersey if I pay full retail on the bike?

im sorry but the dealer salesman is gonna look at you and be like, man you have already tried to haggle with me on price, we gave you a deal already, if you dont have the money to afford the 60$ pants and 30$ jersey, you unfortunately are getting your son into the wrong sport, if you dont have the money to do 50's then you dont have the money to race mx or even be a mx practicer for that matter. pay the fees, pay what they are asking and maybe they will help you on the next bike (yz65-yz85-yz125-250f-450f) they are gonna remeber you everytime you walk in and say mark the prices up hes back again.
Indy mxer
1/28/2019 2:07pm Edited Date/Time 1/28/2019 5:44pm

Your a douche bag for even saying that. I've been into moto for over 45 years and my family has been in the business for almost that long. I've probably forgot more than you know about it. Oh yeah, I own a Kawi Teryx that my wife and I enjoy cruising around on.

I also know a ton of people that own SxS's and almost all of them are nice people, and many are friends.

There are ass clowns everywhere, even in mx. You just proved it.
chuck356
1/28/2019 3:13pm
SPYGUY wrote:

Or a port job
Or dyno testing
etc etc etc.

It's brutal.

Indy mxer wrote:
THANK YOU!! Very well put. I've been trying to say the same thing all thru this thread but some just won't listen. My brother only stocks...

I've been trying to say the same thing all thru this thread but some just won't listen.
My brother only stocks mx bikes (Suzuki and Kawasaki) because he loves and rides mx.
No money in selling them. And you're spot on about parts and gear. That used to be where you actually made money in that market. Not now.

Well said, guys. I have been a Kawasaki dealer for 39 years, and it gets tougher every year. I remember selling 30 or so KX80's in 1985, now I might sell one 85 every couple of years. There is no magic money from the manufactures, it is common to lose money on new bike sales these days. This used to be a fun business that you could make a little money in, but the fun and the profit are scarce anymore.
vetmxr
1/28/2019 3:39pm

Or a port job
Or dyno testing
etc etc etc.

It's brutal.

Indy mxer wrote:
THANK YOU!! Very well put. I've been trying to say the same thing all thru this thread but some just won't listen. My brother only stocks...

chuck356 wrote:
Well said, guys. I have been a Kawasaki dealer for 39 years, and it gets tougher every year. I remember selling 30 or so KX80's in...
Well said, guys. I have been a Kawasaki dealer for 39 years, and it gets tougher every year. I remember selling 30 or so KX80's in 1985, now I might sell one 85 every couple of years. There is no magic money from the manufactures, it is common to lose money on new bike sales these days. This used to be a fun business that you could make a little money in, but the fun and the profit are scarce anymore.
I can remember going into my local Kawasaki dealer in the early and mid 80's after the dealer said that the kx's we had spoken for came in......He'd assembled all of them at once and lined them up in the showroom......The actual numbers are a little fuzzy but they'd have 20 or so 80's......30 or so 125's.......and probably 15 to 20 250's......

I'll never forget the sight of walking in and seeing all those brand new lime green race bikes just waiting to go home..... most every one of them had been pre spoken for and most all of them were gone in days..... You went to the parts desk and signed your name under the model you wanted, put 100 bucks down on each and waited for that phone call.

I believe a new 1984 kx 125 was around $1400....if I remember right..... I miss those days. I wish I would have thought to take a picture of all those bikes , but at that time no one had any reason to believe that wasn't going to go on forever. And it did for another 10 years or so.....
ACBraap
Fantasy
564th
1/28/2019 3:52pm
As someone who works in a dealer, there really is no profit at all. Maybe 200 total profit a bike. If that. And yes the dealers...
As someone who works in a dealer, there really is no profit at all. Maybe 200 total profit a bike. If that. And yes the dealers actually have to pay the shipping charge.
Think about this. You don’t go into Walmart asking for discounts just because you know they get it cheaper. Without those small fees, there wouldn’t be a dealer here for you to bitch about the price. With how things are, we practically lose money on most dirt bike sells, but we know that those customers buy gear and all kinds of other parts. But again, that’s the convenience of a dealer that would not be there without charges.
I highly doubt you have actually ever seen the invoice of what these bikes cost. I see them practically every day, and it’s scary. As a moto guy, it hurts. I hate having to pay so damn much for a bike, but i still do it
But at Walmart, the price is the price (other than perhaps sales tax). It's not 'this is the price' and BTW, here's another pile of fees when it's time to check out.
Indy mxer
1/28/2019 5:47pm
As someone who works in a dealer, there really is no profit at all. Maybe 200 total profit a bike. If that. And yes the dealers...
As someone who works in a dealer, there really is no profit at all. Maybe 200 total profit a bike. If that. And yes the dealers actually have to pay the shipping charge.
Think about this. You don’t go into Walmart asking for discounts just because you know they get it cheaper. Without those small fees, there wouldn’t be a dealer here for you to bitch about the price. With how things are, we practically lose money on most dirt bike sells, but we know that those customers buy gear and all kinds of other parts. But again, that’s the convenience of a dealer that would not be there without charges.
I highly doubt you have actually ever seen the invoice of what these bikes cost. I see them practically every day, and it’s scary. As a moto guy, it hurts. I hate having to pay so damn much for a bike, but i still do it
ACBraap wrote:
But at Walmart, the price is the price (other than perhaps sales tax). It's not 'this is the price' and BTW, here's another pile of fees...
But at Walmart, the price is the price (other than perhaps sales tax). It's not 'this is the price' and BTW, here's another pile of fees when it's time to check out.
Not all dealers "pile on fees". Just in case you didn't know.
jsmx97
1/28/2019 6:39pm
To the OP,

Here is how it works:

Dealer invoice= true cost+holdback (amount paid back to dealer at time of sale, in my opinion a garbage idea designed to steal income from commissioned salesman & also steal cashflow from the dealer.)

Freight is a separate charge paid by the dealer, sometimes discounted if it is during an order period. Some dealers choose to try to get it back on the back end of the deal, some don't. If you don't, you better do enough volume to make it worth while.

MSRP is generally about 10-15% over dealer invoice pricing.

Now you sell the unit, you've already paid your service dept. to set the unit up, & now to do a PDI required by the manufacturer. Most departments sell to each other so unless the dealership is small, this is an actual expense the sales dept. paid to the service dept.

So at the end of the day, if a PW50 MSRP is $1499, cost will be around $1300 doubtfully any holdback and freight will be around $150-$200. Service department bills their hourly rate for at least 1/2 hr of setup time so lets say around $45. If that bike was sold for MSRP cash deal it would be at a loss and that isn't even including the finance office which needs to get paid for their time, so they deserve a doc fee.

This is a rough example of how selling a bike works. Some you make a bit more, some you make a bit less. But if there is too many dealers in a small area in some states... every dealer loses on dirt bikes especially the major brands. Money is made by dealers with great service & parts deptartments, and sales on most everything other than dirt bikes (unless they sell a TON).

If I were you, I would pick the dealer who has the BEST parts & service department; and start building a relationship with them... because after all the bottom feeder dealerships are gone who sell for zero profit like the one who was willing to sell you that PW50 at a loss are gone, you won't have a choice where you're buying OR a relationship with them... my two cents Wink
jsmx97
1/28/2019 6:45pm Edited Date/Time 1/28/2019 6:58pm

Side X Side customers are the best! They don't expect us to sell them everything for cost like most MX guys who walk through the door. They love their sport & are willing to pay for it. Not sure why moto guys are so cheap... 9 out of 10 of them will drive 200 miles to save $200... on a $9000 motorcycle. I just don't see that as often with SxS customers or any other customer for that matter.

...And to be clear, I'm a moto guy

Post a reply to: brand new pw50 dealer fees.

The Latest