bill gates invests in 2 strokes

zippy895
Edited Date/Time 1/23/2012 11:06am
|
mjskier
9/29/2010 3:12pm
the new OPOC engines feature 50 percent fewer parts than regular engines, while also being 50 percent more fuel efficient. Everyone knows that a lot of energy in internal combustion engines is wasted due to frictional losses, and having 50 percent fewer parts should go a long way to remedying this issue.

Having 2 pistons per cylinder reduces frictional losses and has 50% fewer parts?
Maybe I need to drink more kool-aid because this doesn't make sense to me...
Interesting idea nonetheless. I can see how the 2 piston arrangement can let you uncover intake and exhaust at different time so you don't need valves like a 4-strokes or transfer ports like a 2-stroke.
newmann
9/29/2010 3:20pm
mjskier wrote:
[b]the new OPOC engines feature 50 percent fewer parts than regular engines, while also being 50 percent more fuel efficient. Everyone knows that a lot of...
the new OPOC engines feature 50 percent fewer parts than regular engines, while also being 50 percent more fuel efficient. Everyone knows that a lot of energy in internal combustion engines is wasted due to frictional losses, and having 50 percent fewer parts should go a long way to remedying this issue.

Having 2 pistons per cylinder reduces frictional losses and has 50% fewer parts?
Interesting idea nonetheless. I can see how the 2 piston arrangement can let you uncover intake and exhaust at different time so you don't need valves like a 4-strokes or transfer ports like a 2-stroke.
Or would that design be comparable to a 4 cylinder engine?

The Shop

9/29/2010 3:48pm
Looks like it would be a well balanced engine with the pistons opposing each other, this should help reduce some friction and make it pretty reliable to boot.
redalert144
Fantasy
3083rd
9/29/2010 4:07pm
mjskier wrote:
[b]the new OPOC engines feature 50 percent fewer parts than regular engines, while also being 50 percent more fuel efficient. Everyone knows that a lot of...

newmann wrote:
yes they said 2nd video that the 2 cylinder OPOC engine is comparable to a 4 cylinder conventional engine
CASH476
9/29/2010 4:23pm
Why didn't anyone think of this before? Looks like a rehashed 1950's Commer knocker engine
9/29/2010 6:22pm
I can already smell it,
You probably won't. The idea behind this and other DI engines is that not extra oil will be exhausted... Little to no smell.
Void Main
9/29/2010 6:30pm
CASH476 wrote:
Why didn't anyone think of this before? Looks like a rehashed 1950's Commer knocker engine
Yes, this is way old tech. Oh, and Bill Gates is the devil. Just sayin'.
yamazuki
9/29/2010 6:40pm
Direct inject in two strokes is already being done in snowmobiles and outboard motors, they are more fuel efficient, lighter and produce more horsepower. The 4 stroke has never been able to match the power of a 2 stroke and it is a huge waste of energy to send the piston back up the cylinder a second time to push out the exhaust. If as much money went into two stroke direct injection as has gone into 4 strokes, the 2 stroke would be way ahead of the 4 stroke plus have all the power, weight, and efficiency advantages.
Void Main
9/29/2010 7:09pm
yamazuki wrote:
Direct inject in two strokes is already being done in snowmobiles and outboard motors, they are more fuel efficient, lighter and produce more horsepower. The 4...
Direct inject in two strokes is already being done in snowmobiles and outboard motors, they are more fuel efficient, lighter and produce more horsepower. The 4 stroke has never been able to match the power of a 2 stroke and it is a huge waste of energy to send the piston back up the cylinder a second time to push out the exhaust. If as much money went into two stroke direct injection as has gone into 4 strokes, the 2 stroke would be way ahead of the 4 stroke plus have all the power, weight, and efficiency advantages.
What the hell are you on about? Even with all the R&D the 4-strokes have received over the last few years they STILL do not come close to the performance of a 2-stroke. A 250 2-stroke has way more HP and torque than a 250 4-stroke.
9/29/2010 8:15pm
mjskier wrote:

newmann wrote:
yes they said 2nd video that the 2 cylinder OPOC engine is comparable to a 4 cylinder conventional engine
but rated at 325hp Evil

Post a reply to: bill gates invests in 2 strokes

The Latest