bike reliability

sambiso
6/13/2017 10:53am
hey guys, so i am looking at buying my first ever dirt bike. i was going to get a 250f. i already race mountain bikes so feel i will be able to pick the basics up fairly quickly. before i did any research i thought ktm were the best bikes. no idea why but i just got that vibe. but most of the racers seem to be on jap bikes. i know im not a racer but i want to be confident in the bike im about to spend 7k on. looking at the bikes in person ktm seem a bit flimsy and like they might brake. i know they are very light but reliability and longevity is my main concern! ktm seem to recall a lot more bikes than jap brands. also 90 percent of the pro racers and freeride guys seem to be on jap bikes. are Japanese bikes the way to go? or was i right thinking ktm are renowned as being the best? any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! thanks
|
jevyguy
6/13/2017 10:57am
Something about the plastics being held together with wood like grabber screws makes me question the longevity of KTM.
Everyone will have their preference but the reality is that they are all good bikes.
6/13/2017 10:58am Edited Date/Time 6/13/2017 10:59am
I would say Ktms are the most race ready bike straight out the box but require a little more maintenance/TLC. For a first bike you can't go wrong with a CRF250, that being said any of the new 250f will be more than enough and reliable enough with sensible maintenance for a beginner rider.

Ignore all the horror stories from the die hard 2 stroke fans, reality is the modern 4 strokes are generally bulletproof for the average club rider.
yz133rider
6/13/2017 11:03am
Lol a crf being more reliable than other choices. That's funny.
bigmaico
6/13/2017 11:08am
jevyguy wrote:
Something about the plastics being held together with wood like grabber screws makes me question the longevity of KTM. Everyone will have their preference but the...
Something about the plastics being held together with wood like grabber screws makes me question the longevity of KTM.
Everyone will have their preference but the reality is that they are all good bikes.
I don't doubt the longevity of KTM's I owned a few of them!

My 2003 has well over 150 hrs on it, the only problems I've had with it I caused myself.

My 2014.5 Factory Edition has about 65 hrs on it, the only thing's I've done to it are the normal ware & tear items.

I did check the valves at 45 hrs & they were in Spec.

If you do the normal maintenance you shouldn't have a problem with any of the newer bikes.

Don't do the maintenance & your on you own!

The Shop

6/13/2017 11:11am
Like everyone else has said, if you're buying a new bike, and keep up on routine maintenance, reliability shouldn't be an issue.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
6/13/2017 11:12am
The longevity of a motocross bike is as good as it's owner. The more you take care of any bike, oil, filter, good fuel and scheduled preventative maintenance the longer your bike will last.

I suggest getting the bike that you feel most comfortable on and the best dealer support.
6/13/2017 11:12am Edited Date/Time 6/13/2017 11:13am
yz133rider wrote:
I also laugh at the notion that any of the current race bikes is more "race ready" than any of the others. There is not one of them that a rider, especially at a C/B level couldn't take out of the box, set the springs/sag up for their weight and go racing right after he/she bought it.
Moto88
6/13/2017 11:13am
Like it or not Yamaha's are the most reliable. And their YZ250f is an excellent choice.
Katoomey
6/13/2017 11:17am
am i out of line for suggesting a total noob buy a 125 smoker....

unless you're over a 170 pounds, I can't imagine a better first bike.

Steve125
Fantasy
2759th
6/13/2017 11:21am
If I were looking to buy a 250f, I'd go with a Yamaha. At this point in the production run they're a proven design with any bugs worked out over the past couple years.. while still being a very up to date bad ass race bike .
BobPA
6/13/2017 11:25am
Moto88 wrote:
Like it or not Yamaha's are the most reliable. And their YZ250f is an excellent choice.
Just do not wash your YZ or it may never start again....Whistling

The reality is all the bikes from 2010 on up are great. flip a coin on which is more reliable.

I will say that people who knock on the KTM "wood screws" have never used them. They never fall out, my 350 had 175 hours with the original hardware. Never require loc-tite, are super lightweight (who cares), and as long as you you do not torque them for 400 lb/ft they work better than a regular insert ten fold.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
6/13/2017 12:51pm
as long as you keep up on regular maintenance any of the bikes will last. I've seen some CRF250's go 60 hours and grenade, but I've also seen many go passed 100 hours on the original top end with no problem. All my kawi's have gone far passed the 100 hour mark, but I've seen many other grenade way before that. It's all in how you maintain them. Pick a color and go ride. Although, I would say the KTM probably isn't the best starter bike. I'd put that in the more experienced rider category.
6/13/2017 1:06pm
Moto88 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
Just do not wash your YZ or it may never start again....:whistle: The reality is all the bikes from 2010 on up are great. flip a...
Just do not wash your YZ or it may never start again....Whistling

The reality is all the bikes from 2010 on up are great. flip a coin on which is more reliable.

I will say that people who knock on the KTM "wood screws" have never used them. They never fall out, my 350 had 175 hours with the original hardware. Never require loc-tite, are super lightweight (who cares), and as long as you you do not torque them for 400 lb/ft they work better than a regular insert ten fold.
Ibe know people have to buy brand new fuel tanks though because the screws won't bite any longer.
I know, I know... It's mostly down to the mechanic, but given that the average home mechanic is just that- average, the wood screw idea isn't very hard wearing.
That said, an M6 bolt is easily cross-threaded by the same average mechanic.
1stSSPZ
6/13/2017 1:32pm
I would say Ktms are the most race ready bike straight out the box but require a little more maintenance/TLC. For a first bike you can't...
I would say Ktms are the most race ready bike straight out the box but require a little more maintenance/TLC. For a first bike you can't go wrong with a CRF250, that being said any of the new 250f will be more than enough and reliable enough with sensible maintenance for a beginner rider.

Ignore all the horror stories from the die hard 2 stroke fans, reality is the modern 4 strokes are generally bulletproof for the average club rider.
Definitely agree with the last part of this statement. Ride nothing but 2-strokes now but that has nothing to do with my last 14 years of experience riding 4-strokes exclusively. If you stay off the rev limiter you will not have a problem with any modern 4-stroke engine. Any rider constantly bouncing off of the rev limiter doesn't really understand engines anyway.
6/13/2017 2:44pm
yz133rider wrote:
I must have missed where I typed that.....although that is my general opinion after 30 odd years of various makes. Ultimately the mechanic makes much more difference than the badge.
wsc96
Fantasy
553rd
6/13/2017 4:12pm
You'll never get a clear answer, hence the varied replies. Buy the colour you want and look after it.
305FC250
6/13/2017 5:17pm
Katoomey wrote:
am i out of line for suggesting a total noob buy a 125 smoker.... unless you're over a 170 pounds, I can't imagine a better first...
am i out of line for suggesting a total noob buy a 125 smoker....

unless you're over a 170 pounds, I can't imagine a better first bike.

Agreed!
6/13/2017 5:26pm
A local dealer in in GP performed a new top end to a 2015 KX250F and I got 3 hours on it lol...just sayin I need to learn motor work
slowgti
6/13/2017 5:27pm
Go with the brand that fits you the best and has a good dealer. Oh, buy a couple spare clutch and brake levers while you're there.
jeffro503
6/13/2017 5:31pm
The longevity of a motocross bike is as good as it's owner. The more you take care of any bike, oil, filter, good fuel and scheduled...
The longevity of a motocross bike is as good as it's owner. The more you take care of any bike, oil, filter, good fuel and scheduled preventative maintenance the longer your bike will last.

I suggest getting the bike that you feel most comfortable on and the best dealer support.
What Joe said!
markit
6/13/2017 5:47pm
I raced a KTM 250xcf w in 07/08 excellent bike and extremely durable, wouldn't hesitate buying a new one. The YZF 250 looks great too, actually if I was getting a new bike I would likely get the Yamaha.
loftyair
6/13/2017 6:16pm
Yz, then cr for reliability, in general.
6/13/2017 7:12pm
Reliability = Honda. Had hondas all my life put 150+ hours on them all and never an issue. Basic maintenance is all I do.
ob
6/13/2017 7:18pm
The ITM reliability is up there with Yamaha. I've seen the both blow up. But the KTM 250f is not the best for a new rider.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
6/13/2017 9:22pm
sambiso wrote:
hey guys, so i am looking at buying my first ever dirt bike. i was going to get a 250f. i already race mountain bikes so...
hey guys, so i am looking at buying my first ever dirt bike. i was going to get a 250f. i already race mountain bikes so feel i will be able to pick the basics up fairly quickly. before i did any research i thought ktm were the best bikes. no idea why but i just got that vibe. but most of the racers seem to be on jap bikes. i know im not a racer but i want to be confident in the bike im about to spend 7k on. looking at the bikes in person ktm seem a bit flimsy and like they might brake. i know they are very light but reliability and longevity is my main concern! ktm seem to recall a lot more bikes than jap brands. also 90 percent of the pro racers and freeride guys seem to be on jap bikes. are Japanese bikes the way to go? or was i right thinking ktm are renowned as being the best? any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! thanks
Pick a color of any bike that is 5 years old or newer. I recommend finding a non-raced, old man or chick owned, low hour bone stock bike - or if you have the cash just go get a new bike. I have my preferences but so does everybody else. My advice (speaking from experience - good and bad) is to do the following: change your oil and oil filter every 5 hours of ride time, use full synthetic high quality motocross oil (the $20/qt stuff), clean your air filter every 5 hours of ride time (or sooner), and always check your coolant level before every ride (top off to the top of the fins when the bike is level). Your bike will last a LONG time doing that.

Post a reply to: bike reliability

The Latest