bike rack on back of a car.

doofy
Edited Date/Time 7/27/2017 7:27pm
yeah yeah, go ahead and laugh

but seriously, has anyone done this or considered it? I drive a ton of miles per day, most trucks get shit MPG and I dont use a truck bed for anything other than the bike, which even that is rare. Ive seen some guys at locals with the ramp that you drive up on, hell even a guy with a newer Audi with one and a brand spankin new ktm 450 on it. bropinions welcome
|
urbanlift707
7/24/2017 11:09pm

I just bought this one and did 2000 miles in a week with it. To be honest I don't even know the brand, just picked it up at my dealer. I can check in the morning. Worked great though!
Moto331
7/24/2017 11:48pm
Dude I rock the 50 AND a bike rack sometimes!

Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
7/25/2017 11:48am Edited Date/Time 7/25/2017 11:49am
I'd advise against it. You're going to be above the tongue weight for a Class 1 car hitch, and the extra leverage will make the front wheels extremely light. Recipe for disaster IMO.

Go buy a cheap Tractor Supply trailer for $500 and you'll be much better off. I tow mine with my 01 Acura with no problems

The Shop

JohnMatrix
7/25/2017 11:58am
Exactly what Jbulz said. You have to make sure the rated tongue weight is fairly stout for the vehicle that it's going on. I use an "add a bike" on the back of my Touareg tdi and it's great, but no way I'd put it on anything that is rated close to the weight of the bike plus carrier. These things put some leverage on the back of the vehicle. If you go this route, get a decent quality carrier. Mine is aluminum but still very sturdy. It also has a wheel chock in the front that folds up so you only need two tie downs to secure the bike. Makes for fast loading/unloading. I've seen the versahaul's in person as well and they're very sturdy. Same with the ultimate mx hauler thing that is on the Audi above. I would not trust the cheap chinese shit. I think they are hit or miss.
Elbows
Fantasy
1171st
7/25/2017 12:03pm Edited Date/Time 7/25/2017 12:12pm
TJMX947
7/25/2017 12:53pm
I have one that I bought from Harbor Freight and I run it on my Nissan rogue. Works well, but I hate it. I like throwing my gear/tools/gas on the back of a truck and just hitting the road. With a hitch carrier you have a process to follow and if you miss steps it will just piss you off (example, loading the bike before putting my gear bag in the back of the vehicle...or loading the bike on the carrier then realizing you didn't put straps on it) Plus putting your gear bag and supplies in the back of your family car will get it filthy not to mention I for one am not going to put a gas can in my car so I have to fill my bike up at the pump before I hit the road.

I would say it probably takes me 30 - 45 minutes at the minimum to load up (that's changing kid's dvd player to my wife's car and pulling out all of the kiddie essentials she'll need while I'm riding). Putting the thing on is a pain in the rear, storing the thing is a pain in the rear. Its just a process that makes riding more of a chore honestly. I long for the day that I can get another truck.
wsc96
Fantasy
474th
7/25/2017 7:23pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/07/24/206297/s1200_IMG_6542.jpg[/img] I just bought this one and did 2000 miles in a week with it. To be honest I don't even know the brand, just picked...

I just bought this one and did 2000 miles in a week with it. To be honest I don't even know the brand, just picked it up at my dealer. I can check in the morning. Worked great though!
Anyone had experience with both the track type as per previous post versus the platform type stand used in the quoted post here? Pros/Cons of each.
urbanlift707
7/25/2017 9:41pm
I've owned both now that I just got this one last week. My ramp style one I built myself and is great, I built it long enough that I could still have the tailgate down on my truck, thus I could carry 4 bikes.

The problem with that one was for my wife's ford explorer, it was too low to the ground and would scrape all the time. They are better suited for trucks.

This new unit is super stout and has the bike very high up, it also doubles as a stand at the track. This style is a must for SUV's imo, but you would not be able to put a tailgate down with it hooked up.

wsc96
Fantasy
474th
7/25/2017 9:56pm
I've owned both now that I just got this one last week. My ramp style one I built myself and is great, I built it long...
I've owned both now that I just got this one last week. My ramp style one I built myself and is great, I built it long enough that I could still have the tailgate down on my truck, thus I could carry 4 bikes.

The problem with that one was for my wife's ford explorer, it was too low to the ground and would scrape all the time. They are better suited for trucks.

This new unit is super stout and has the bike very high up, it also doubles as a stand at the track. This style is a must for SUV's imo, but you would not be able to put a tailgate down with it hooked up.

Thanks for the reply.

What brand is that one you just recently got? When you lower the stand (bike off) can you open the tailgate?
FWYT
7/25/2017 10:05pm
I want to go this route, too, on my next vehicle. But I'm thinking of fabbing something that comes
out off the back of the car at the frame rails, going directly under each wheel of the bike.
Skip the whole trailer hitch thing.
urbanlift707
7/25/2017 11:15pm
wsc96 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

What brand is that one you just recently got? When you lower the stand (bike off) can you open the tailgate?
https://www.btosports.com/p/ULTMXHAUL/option/MXHAUL-BLK?utm_source=goog…

I paid like $380 OTD with tax from my dealer. Yes the tailgate opened, but it is close. I've gotta move my hand gaurds in a tad.
wsc96
Fantasy
474th
7/25/2017 11:19pm
https://www.btosports.com/p/ULTMXHAUL/option/MXHAUL-BLK?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=gs_allproducts&utm_content=18478794385&utm_term=&matchtype=&adposition=1o4&device=c&adtype=pla&product_id=MXHAUL-BLK&product_country=US&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7MzuwaWm1QIVioZ-Ch2YbAyoEAQYBCABEgLsjPD_BwE I paid like $380 OTD with tax from my dealer. Yes the tailgate opened, but it is close. I've gotta move my hand gaurds in...
https://www.btosports.com/p/ULTMXHAUL/option/MXHAUL-BLK?utm_source=goog…

I paid like $380 OTD with tax from my dealer. Yes the tailgate opened, but it is close. I've gotta move my hand gaurds in a tad.
Cheers!
urbanlift707
7/25/2017 11:21pm
I should clarify, I can open the tailgate of the explorer with the bike fully up and ready to travel. I cannot open a truck tailgate with it up.
pmshortt2
7/26/2017 6:58am
SweetDaddy wrote:
Mine has no tiedowns [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/07/25/206407/s1200_AddABike.jpg[/img]
Mine has no tiedowns

Those are sweet but they're like $400
f052zy8002
7/26/2017 7:47am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/07/24/206297/s1200_IMG_6542.jpg[/img] I just bought this one and did 2000 miles in a week with it. To be honest I don't even know the brand, just picked...

wsc96 wrote:
Anyone had experience with both the track type as per previous post versus the platform type stand used in the quoted post here? Pros/Cons of each.
I have used both...The platform type is nice if your bike fits properly without hitting the linkage and the bike being balanced on it. I like the the type that holds the bike via foot pegs...A major downside is that the bottle jack seals often go bad and you're stuck buying a specific one for the rack that goes low enough...Tough to find and expensive.

The track type is easy but I don't find it to be high enough off the ground depending on the vehicle it is on.

The other solution others have mentioned is a small utility trailer, which is what I have ultimately ended up with myself. It is just so much easier to throw everything on the trailer, plus mine is small enough where I can put the EZ-Up around it and have a cool place to sit between motos and not have to worry about gear bags etc sitting in the mud! I tow mine with my VW Golf and still get around 25MPG to boot.

Roostermx58
7/26/2017 7:58am
Not mine but her are some options rather than a rack

Mini Elsinore
7/26/2017 9:28am Edited Date/Time 7/26/2017 9:29am
Kebrock wrote:
I bought one from discountramps.com. We don't have a pickup and I got tired of borrowing my father-in-laws trailer, so I got one. Works great on...
I bought one from discountramps.com. We don't have a pickup and I got tired of borrowing my father-in-laws trailer, so I got one. Works great on the back of my wife's Traverse.

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-carrier/p/AMC-400/
I run a Snugtop, so I bought the AMC 400 that folds up. No problems to report, but I have only used it for short hauls to the woods with a XR200 strapped onboard. Sure beats the hell out of dragging the old 24-footer around all the time.
Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
7/26/2017 10:19am
Here's my setup. Works great. I've seen the same hauler mounted on one of those small Nissan Jukes.

Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
7/26/2017 10:23am

wsc96 wrote:
I had the platform type and decided to sell it and get a rail type. I really wish I had kept the platform type. It raised the bike a little higher and also you could lower it a little to get the back window open without completely removing the bike. Dumb move on my part.
Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
7/26/2017 10:25am
Some company in Indiana was selling really small plastic sided enclosed trailers that were big enough for 1 or 2 bikes. Anyone know who that was or better yet have a link?
FWYT
7/26/2017 12:05pm
Madmax31 wrote:
Here's my setup. Works great. I've seen the same hauler mounted on one of those small Nissan Jukes. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/07/26/206507/s1200_ddd.jpg[/img]
Here's my setup. Works great. I've seen the same hauler mounted on one of those small Nissan Jukes.

Hey Max, that's sorta what I'm thinking; a rack on the back of a smaller SUV-ish vehicle. But people just
loose their shit saying no way you should go with that much weight on a unibody car. Had any issues?
Does the front end of the car get light and wander? Can the rear suspension handle it? Does the carrier drag
on driveway entrances and the like?
jasonward73
7/26/2017 1:19pm Edited Date/Time 7/26/2017 1:22pm
I have the platform type (like a bike stand on steroids) and have used it on my Range Rover Sport and now on my Tesla Model X. I had to get a tongue extender for the Range Rover as the rack wouldn't slide in far enough to pin before hitting the rear bumper. No issue with the Model X.

Pros:
Takes up hardly any room in garage when not in use.
Keeps bike well off the ground. Never drug it going through a dip.
Nothing touches car.
Able to lower bike to open rear hatch or tailgate if you need to access without unloading bike

Cons:
Heavy as fuck to carry when off car and to line up the receiver male/female parts
No way to haul fuel (they sell a fuel jug carrier.- I got it but my jug didn't fit)
Carries the bike and that is about it
If the bottle jack goes your fucked (there is a locking pin so your bike won't flip down and get drug down road)
Must buy locking hitch pins but I guess they all need that

And it's pricey. Around $400 I think, It is called the Ultimate MX hauler.

wsc96
Fantasy
474th
7/26/2017 1:33pm
Looks like the same one as urbanlift707. Lots of good info in this thread Cool
T-Fish
Fantasy
173rd
7/26/2017 3:30pm
I've got one that holds two bikes. I'm a fan of them due to their convenience.
PFitzG38
7/26/2017 4:00pm
This has made my life easier. $200 bucks on Craigslist 10 miles from my house. It was on my truck 45mins after i saw it on CL

race
7/26/2017 5:58pm
I have the platform type (like a bike stand on steroids) and have used it on my Range Rover Sport and now on my Tesla Model...
I have the platform type (like a bike stand on steroids) and have used it on my Range Rover Sport and now on my Tesla Model X. I had to get a tongue extender for the Range Rover as the rack wouldn't slide in far enough to pin before hitting the rear bumper. No issue with the Model X.

Pros:
Takes up hardly any room in garage when not in use.
Keeps bike well off the ground. Never drug it going through a dip.
Nothing touches car.
Able to lower bike to open rear hatch or tailgate if you need to access without unloading bike

Cons:
Heavy as fuck to carry when off car and to line up the receiver male/female parts
No way to haul fuel (they sell a fuel jug carrier.- I got it but my jug didn't fit)
Carries the bike and that is about it
If the bottle jack goes your fucked (there is a locking pin so your bike won't flip down and get drug down road)
Must buy locking hitch pins but I guess they all need that

And it's pricey. Around $400 I think, It is called the Ultimate MX hauler.

As far as fuel goes, is there room on most of these to weld on some sort of a fuel jug carrier? Or is that an instant ticket?

What are the class ratings for this stuff?

I guess they break down between the 'platform' type and the 'rail' type. If it's made out of aluminum it shouldn't be that heavy when off the vehicle?

What else is there to look out for?

jasonward73
7/27/2017 8:33am
race wrote:
As far as fuel goes, is there room on most of these to weld on some sort of a fuel jug carrier? Or is that an...
As far as fuel goes, is there room on most of these to weld on some sort of a fuel jug carrier? Or is that an instant ticket?

What are the class ratings for this stuff?

I guess they break down between the 'platform' type and the 'rail' type. If it's made out of aluminum it shouldn't be that heavy when off the vehicle?

What else is there to look out for?

There is room to fab up something if that is your thing.

I only have experience with this one product and it's solid. I wish it was lighter but that is my only real complaint. I say that knowing that there really is no way of making it lighter. I don't think making it out of aluminum is possible or perhaps that is to cost prohibitive.

You need to find out what the hitch mounted to your car is rated to carry and what your car is rated to carry. Be sure to find out the load limit using a rack (not the tongue weight) as these two numbers are very different in some cases.

Post a reply to: bike rack on back of a car.

The Latest