best knee brace for no ACL

KrazyJimmy
Edited Date/Time 9/23/2018 8:36am
Is anyone here still racing with no ACL?
What is the best off the shelf knee brace to gain stability in my knee for riding/racing?
Thanks.
|
Cycle Sport
1/17/2018 4:43pm
I tore my acl last June. Have been riding most weekends and some local races. I bought Mobius braces. I like them, can feel the support while riding and they offer a lot of impact protection. The best thing I have done is join a gym and work all the leg muscle groups three times a week. It is still not like before, and I might get the replacement operation.
RedRider785
1/17/2018 6:07pm
Mobius definately! Some people will say otherwise, but I have tried many and there's no comparison. I've ridden with torn acl and now no acl with the Mobius. Even had the original Bionic (prototype Mobius). The cable routing system is way stronger than any limit/stop at the pivot point.
Chaser503
1/17/2018 6:11pm
Don Joy Defiance III. There's a reason you see them on nfl linemen and Olympic downhill skiers.
RedRider785
1/17/2018 6:21pm
Chaser503 wrote:
Don Joy Defiance III. There's a reason you see them on nfl linemen and Olympic downhill skiers.
Mobius, there's a reason you saw Villopoto ride with them with a torn acl( also helped develop them I believe). Dungey switch to them towards the end of his career. Dean Wilson switch to them after two acl tears. Also, the technology was used in the new wrist brace and Cooper Webb wrapped up a championship with a broken wrist with it. Roczen is now wearing this with his arm/wrist and probably wearing the knee braces also. BTW, isn't the Don Joy the brace the we constantly see NFL lineman wearing when they re-tear or tear their acl?

The Shop

BobbyM
1/17/2018 7:01pm
I tore my acl last June. Have been riding most weekends and some local races. I bought Mobius braces. I like them, can feel the support...
I tore my acl last June. Have been riding most weekends and some local races. I bought Mobius braces. I like them, can feel the support while riding and they offer a lot of impact protection. The best thing I have done is join a gym and work all the leg muscle groups three times a week. It is still not like before, and I might get the replacement operation.
How the hell will this help? Lotsa duct tape I suppose.
Cmon.. Tell me you didn't chuckle. Hehehe
mxbrian15
1/17/2018 7:05pm
Chaser503 wrote:
I second the DonJoy defiance. I’ve had many different braces over the years, and the donjoy quality and fitment is amazing.
Chaser503
1/17/2018 7:22pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2018 7:27pm
Mobius, there's a reason you saw Villopoto ride with them with a torn acl( also helped develop them I believe). Dungey switch to them towards the...
Mobius, there's a reason you saw Villopoto ride with them with a torn acl( also helped develop them I believe). Dungey switch to them towards the end of his career. Dean Wilson switch to them after two acl tears. Also, the technology was used in the new wrist brace and Cooper Webb wrapped up a championship with a broken wrist with it. Roczen is now wearing this with his arm/wrist and probably wearing the knee braces also. BTW, isn't the Don Joy the brace the we constantly see NFL lineman wearing when they re-tear or tear their acl?
I'd guess these athletes were sponsored? Just a quick look over the Mobius website - they do invest heavily in brand awareness by sponsoring name-recognizable athletes. No doubt - they are messaging to a very specific market (motorsport athletes).

I'm sure the braces work - especially for off the shelf.

The Don Joy's are custom built, carbon with a unique design that many NFL and Olympic-caliber athletes trust. That's all. I've had success with mine - I have an ACL that is just hanging on (the last time the orthopod went in to scope it, he told me he'd see me again at some point for the ACL). I figured that prescription braces were cheaper than ACL surgery, at least until I have to get it done. I get to keep riding.

It appears that their go-to-market strategy is very different than Mobius - working to sell their product through established, orthopedic channels (braces require a prescription) versus sponsoring named-athletes.
bvm111
1/17/2018 8:49pm
Mobius, there's a reason you saw Villopoto ride with them with a torn acl( also helped develop them I believe). Dungey switch to them towards the...
Chaser503 wrote:
I'd guess these athletes were sponsored? Just a quick look over the Mobius website - they do invest heavily in brand awareness by sponsoring name-recognizable athletes...
I'd guess these athletes were sponsored? Just a quick look over the Mobius website - they do invest heavily in brand awareness by sponsoring name-recognizable athletes. No doubt - they are messaging to a very specific market (motorsport athletes).

I'm sure the braces work - especially for off the shelf.

The Don Joy's are custom built, carbon with a unique design that many NFL and Olympic-caliber athletes trust. That's all. I've had success with mine - I have an ACL that is just hanging on (the last time the orthopod went in to scope it, he told me he'd see me again at some point for the ACL). I figured that prescription braces were cheaper than ACL surgery, at least until I have to get it done. I get to keep riding.

It appears that their go-to-market strategy is very different than Mobius - working to sell their product through established, orthopedic channels (braces require a prescription) versus sponsoring named-athletes.
The OP was specifically asking for off the shelf!

Love hearing the feedback on Mobius as I am going to purchase this week, I am unsure of the size to purchase as I am right at the the max for a Large... I am going to call them tomorrow for some advice before I order!
ob
1/17/2018 9:22pm
I have an acl replacement in one knee and no acl in the other. Still ride and race lots and I use pods, I had a custom cti but like my pods better. No brace will stop the twisting that you will have happen in your knee especially when your boot catches something that twists your leg or when you stomp your foot down. Only building up lots of muscle seems to help that. Lots of bicycle time for me. Good luck it’s not the end of the world.
KrazyJimmy
1/17/2018 11:46pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2018 11:50pm
I tore my acl last June. Have been riding most weekends and some local races. I bought Mobius braces. I like them, can feel the support...
Thank you for the responses so far.
The Mobius don't seem too cost prohibitive all things considered. I wonder if there is a cheapest option to buy it in Canada.

What type of leg exercises are you doing? Do you do them with or without a brace on?
hoova
1/17/2018 11:51pm
ob wrote:
I have an acl replacement in one knee and no acl in the other. Still ride and race lots and I use pods, I had a...
I have an acl replacement in one knee and no acl in the other. Still ride and race lots and I use pods, I had a custom cti but like my pods better. No brace will stop the twisting that you will have happen in your knee especially when your boot catches something that twists your leg or when you stomp your foot down. Only building up lots of muscle seems to help that. Lots of bicycle time for me. Good luck it’s not the end of the world.
I'll 2nd pods with no acl. Hated them to begin with and now I can't ride without them
Fraser
1/18/2018 5:12am
Yes, mine's been ruptured for since the 80's (had a repair and thought it was fixed, but turns out it never really worked). Personally I think CTI customs are the best, and more recently I use PODs. Asterisk were terrible, no real support at all with those silly string joints. New 2 sided Leatt also looks good.
1/18/2018 6:01am
Chaser503 wrote:
Mr. Mobius, that you?
swtwtwtw
1/18/2018 6:49am
KrazyJimmy wrote:
What is the best off the shelf knee brace to gain stability in my knee for riding/racing?
Thanks.
Me, since 1981. I do not wear any knee braces. I do have a set of Mobius in the garage for those times, few, that I have tweaked a knee, but as soon as it feels better I go back to just knee guards.

walleyeguy
1/18/2018 8:47am
I have a Don Joy for right knee that id sell.
1/18/2018 8:54am
Chaser503 wrote:
Both dungey and Wilson are in CTi’s now. I had the mobius and didn’t feel the same support I had with a asterisk or cti brace. If you can get your doc to write a script up for the CTi that’s the way they go.
Cycle Sport
1/18/2018 5:47pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2018 5:50pm
KrazyJimmy wrote:
Thank you for the responses so far. The Mobius don't seem too cost prohibitive all things considered. I wonder if there is a cheapest option to...
Thank you for the responses so far.
The Mobius don't seem too cost prohibitive all things considered. I wonder if there is a cheapest option to buy it in Canada.

What type of leg exercises are you doing? Do you do them with or without a brace on?
I started off using the TRX suspension system doing exercises I saw in a Racer X virtual trainer piece on knees. I then started to include some weight lifting on the cable operated machines the gym has which target different leg muscles. I spend time on the BOSU ball, I like that thing. I ride the stationary bike for cardio and to work the legs. I have a few base routines but mix things up a little too. When I first started I was amazed at how weak my no acl leg was compared to my good leg. That gave me hope.
ANDREASF
3/18/2018 8:49am
Hi,
Unfortunately after many many years riding MX .... came the time to have a good crash to damage before 2 weeks to my right knee.
MRI shows broken ACL, tear of a meniscus, tribial plateau fracture....
Doctor told me that If I was young the surgery is must but in my age (48) we can see if the no ACL create problems to the stability etc.
Actually from the first time I walk and use stair without problems and pain (of course still no try to run or jump as the accident is fresh.
first thing is how to ride without surgery (my job is such that I can not stay 3 months off).
I say that Cti can provide good support on our problem but also POD.
Please experiences and suggestions.
Finally, your replies to the topic from the persons riding with no ACL encourage me to keep working for this.
Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
3/18/2018 10:10am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2018 10:17am
KrazyJimmy wrote:
Thanks.
I've been riding with one acl/mcl destroyed, and the other one really bad for about 17 years. I'm currently using the Mobius and love how I can ratchet tighten them. The Pods are pretty good also, but the Mobius for me are a tad better.

As others have stated building up the muscles around the knee is crucial. Biking for me helps a lot.
3/18/2018 11:17am
BobbyM wrote:
How the hell will this help? Lotsa duct tape I suppose. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/17/238709/s1200_1200px_Mbius_strip.jpg[/img] Cmon.. Tell me you didn't chuckle. Hehehe
How the hell will this help? Lotsa duct tape I suppose.
Cmon.. Tell me you didn't chuckle. Hehehe
You gotta strip to wear that thing.

And then I'd need more protection. A LOT more, if you catch my drift.
KrazyJimmy
4/25/2018 2:35pm
I got a set of mobius, I will see how they improve my leg stability.
Now I will answer the price question myself... Holeshot has them for 799 canadian plus 12% tax, and a sign that says you won't find them cheaper. Royal distributing has them for 719 canadian plus tax, and free shipping for an order that size.
I don't know how long holeshot has been selling the mobius x8, but they have been sizing them wrong, using an old tape measure that is sized differently. If anyone has purchased these up until last week from holeshot, measure your leg yourself, go on mobius website, and determine your size from that. I take a small, however, holeshots tape measure said medium, so they originally sold me the wrong size knee brace, an inch is a huge difference in a knee brace, I would have been swimming in them, so must other people who have been sold the incorrect size.
Holeshot has been informed to use a current tape measure, so i am sure they won't make the same mistake again.... but a couple years of selling the wrong size to people... The S M L knee braces are physically the same size, it is the straps/pads that are different, so if they sold you the wrong size, I would be asking for a correct kit to fit them correctly.
4/25/2018 7:08pm
KrazyJimmy wrote:
I got a set of mobius, I will see how they improve my leg stability. Now I will answer the price question myself... Holeshot has them...
I got a set of mobius, I will see how they improve my leg stability.
Now I will answer the price question myself... Holeshot has them for 799 canadian plus 12% tax, and a sign that says you won't find them cheaper. Royal distributing has them for 719 canadian plus tax, and free shipping for an order that size.
I don't know how long holeshot has been selling the mobius x8, but they have been sizing them wrong, using an old tape measure that is sized differently. If anyone has purchased these up until last week from holeshot, measure your leg yourself, go on mobius website, and determine your size from that. I take a small, however, holeshots tape measure said medium, so they originally sold me the wrong size knee brace, an inch is a huge difference in a knee brace, I would have been swimming in them, so must other people who have been sold the incorrect size.
Holeshot has been informed to use a current tape measure, so i am sure they won't make the same mistake again.... but a couple years of selling the wrong size to people... The S M L knee braces are physically the same size, it is the straps/pads that are different, so if they sold you the wrong size, I would be asking for a correct kit to fit them correctly.
Be keen to know how you get along Jimmy, I've just had a knee reconstruction.
I switched to POD's and had an ACL tear and then a Meniscus tear 6 months later (fixed through arthroscopic Surgery)
Then went to Asterisk Cells 6 months later and completely ruptured it, requiring surgery.
I'm keen to hear what you think as I've been looking at the Mobius X8's.
Thanks
ANDREASF
4/26/2018 11:12am
Hi all
2 weeks ago I had reconstruction of ACL. with arthroscopic surgery. No the best experience but necessary if you want avoid future surgery of accident. Lucky me, meniscus was in good condition.
Now I am on recovery and started looking for a new pair of good knee braces... I am interested for the POD K8 or K4 but I worry about the knee protection which seem extent forward and the hinges system which need tension replacement.. (how often).
Next one ALPINESTAR Fluid Pro. Seems very good light but can protect knee in case of rotation?
Finally ASTERKS CELL. nice construction and good system to keep on the place. However, the moves of hinges freely will protect knee from side hits?
MOBIUS X8 has good comments,,, its promoted to much but are so good as said?
KrazyJimmy
7/16/2018 9:12am
Mobius X8, what I really think.... I have used my knee braces half a dozen times since I got them. They work, and they work well for me.
My first thought upon unboxing them was that the plastic appears to be cheap or flimsy, it isn't.
They fit snugly, they aren't too bulky, they stay in place without sliding around.
Most importantly, they enable me to ride my bike, which I absolutely cannot do without the braces.
I used the largest extension stop, and put the same size one on both sides, good and bad knee. I find if my leg is not fully extended, the knee feels stronger, When my leg fully extends, it feels hyper-extended and twists easily.
So, 900 bucks (about tree fitty to you muricans) put me back on my bike. Money well spent in my opinion.
9/22/2018 5:31am
KrazyJimmy wrote:
Mobius X8, what I really think.... I have used my knee braces half a dozen times since I got them. They work, and they work well...
Mobius X8, what I really think.... I have used my knee braces half a dozen times since I got them. They work, and they work well for me.
My first thought upon unboxing them was that the plastic appears to be cheap or flimsy, it isn't.
They fit snugly, they aren't too bulky, they stay in place without sliding around.
Most importantly, they enable me to ride my bike, which I absolutely cannot do without the braces.
I used the largest extension stop, and put the same size one on both sides, good and bad knee. I find if my leg is not fully extended, the knee feels stronger, When my leg fully extends, it feels hyper-extended and twists easily.
So, 900 bucks (about tree fitty to you muricans) put me back on my bike. Money well spent in my opinion.
KrazyJimmy I have the mobius braces but didn’t know you could change the extension stops. Where do you get them from? No mention on mobius website and I didn’t get any with the braces. Torn my ACl twice now and trying to get the best protection I can. Feel like I’d benefit from bigger extension stoppers! Cheers
354racing
9/22/2018 6:33am
I have no ACL in one knee and wear CTi OTS .Work fine.
crt32
9/22/2018 6:43am
Recently tore my ACL...think I am going the route of not repairing and just rehabing. Nice to see that riding is still possible. Few questions:
1. How does Mobius fit on tall/skinny legs?
2. Did you change your riding style (i.e. stand up more or less, weight your healthy knee more, etc)
3. If you plant or twist your bad knee mid Moto what type of pain do you experience? Does it last one turn or does it take you out of the Moto?
Press516
Fantasy
126th
9/22/2018 6:57am
Both knees and 3 surgeries later I am still without 1 ACL... But this was many years ago. After the first 2, I still had nothing because it was before they had any quality reconstruction capabilities, think late 70's and early 80's. The last surgery was done by the Phoenix Suns team ortho surgeon. He did a patella tendon transfer and that has held. I'm old now, so instead of another reconstruction, I'm now in line for knee replacements.

Blown ACL's ended my racing career... The first one happened at Ponca City and the second at Saddleback. The last one just desert riding a few years later.

If you're young, get the surgery done. My daughter blew her ACL in gymnastics 4 years ago and after they did the hamstring replacement, she's as good as new. No braces, etc.

Thx for letting me ramble on... F'n knee injuries suck. Oh, I was using Don Joy, but it was way too long ago to know what is good today.

Post a reply to: best knee brace for no ACL

The Latest