best Japanese dirt bike released in years for the US market

endurox
6/4/2015 12:28pm Edited Date/Time 6/5/2015 6:34pm
|
Tpog496
6/4/2015 1:30pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2015 1:30pm
Pssshh. That's like just your opinion man.
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3742nd
6/4/2015 1:33pm
It's just a regurgitated 2006 YZ with some new plastic and a kickstand.

No E-start
No 6th gear
No higher capacity tank
No lights

Hardly enduro ready.
BAMX
6/4/2015 1:37pm
Well...At least they are going in the right direction. I will say that they could use a larger capacity tank and spark arrestor to make it a real offroad bike. I don't think that this bike will even qualify for a green sticker in California.
Mikeyam187
6/4/2015 1:44pm
I thought I saw a street legal version of that, yesterday.

The Shop

newmann
6/4/2015 1:45pm
At least it shows that Yamaha isn't throwing in the towel with the 2 strokes. Hopefully a sign of things to come. Surely all these Japanese marketing departments can't be so damn blind to the fact that they are hardly represented in off road racing.
EastFlorida
6/4/2015 1:53pm
newmann wrote:
At least it shows that Yamaha isn't throwing in the towel with the 2 strokes. Hopefully a sign of things to come. Surely all these Japanese...
At least it shows that Yamaha isn't throwing in the towel with the 2 strokes. Hopefully a sign of things to come. Surely all these Japanese marketing departments can't be so damn blind to the fact that they are hardly represented in off road racing.
I suspect the 2017 model will address...

larger tank
e-start
SA
lighting
etc.
Gringoe
6/4/2015 1:56pm
I think they really half assed that.. Went for the "gncc" route instead of the general off road bike that does everything and anything well

Someone tell them slapping a 1 inch smaller rear wheel on and wide ratio tranny and a kickstand doesnt mean a whole lot and you could do it to your 2006 yz for 500 bucks and have the same bike.

Not even a bigger tank for fucks sake?
crf250pilot
6/4/2015 2:06pm
I like it, would love to try it out on an MX track.
etccb
6/4/2015 2:35pm
I don't remember seeing gncc type racers with lights. A good step and ready for a 345 or 325 bb.
Krazyk2774
6/4/2015 2:37pm
newmann wrote:
At least it shows that Yamaha isn't throwing in the towel with the 2 strokes. Hopefully a sign of things to come. Surely all these Japanese...
I suspect the 2017 model will address...

larger tank
e-start
SA
lighting
etc.
If they were to do these upgrades I would be very interested in buying one! big thing here is having a light to be trail legal , my 06 450 doesn't cut it with its puny 35 watt aftermarket stator ! lol
Eddie_E
6/4/2015 2:38pm
I love that bike. It's perfect for the East coast woods riding we do. If you need lights for the desert, buy a WR450. If you can't get a sticker in Cali, fricken move or buy a 4 stroke. The other 49 states don't care what color of stickers are on the bike.
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
3920th
6/4/2015 2:43pm
5 speed wide ratio, 18" rear wheel, petcock w/ a reserve, kickstand, off-road specific suspension, o-ring chain & broader/smoother power for off-road riding. They defiantly toof a step in the right direction. Its more than any other Japs are doing, but use Yamaha guys wanna see more! I think their testing the waters this year to gauge interest & next year hopefully we will see a larger tank, skid plate, bark buster, heavier FWW & e-start. A 6th gear would be nice too. I wonder what those 5 gears feel like? We dont need 6 in GA, but I know the boys midwest & over would want it though!
BobPA
6/4/2015 3:32pm
Tpog496 wrote:
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
Titan1
6/4/2015 3:39pm
Yamaha was trying to build an off road RACE bike...the equivalent of KTM's XC line (which comes with no lights...but a wide ratio tranny, 18 inch rear wheel, off road suspension, kick stand, etc. etc.

They already have a trail bike, and its their WR line (which is in the ball park as KTM's XC-W line). But their YZ-X line is their off road race bike...built for GNCC, WORC, Hare Scrambles, Enduro's, etc.

I like it...I'd like it better with an electric start, and an oversized tank, but maybe that will come next year.
Titan1
6/4/2015 3:40pm
Oh, and it doesn't come with a spark arrestor for the same reason KTM's XC line doesn't come with them...in order to sell them in CA, they have to be for "closed course competition". If they put a sparky on them, then they aren't for closed course comp any more.
Coyote
6/4/2015 4:10pm
Titan1 wrote:
Oh, and it doesn't come with a spark arrestor for the same reason KTM's XC line doesn't come with them...in order to sell them in CA...
Oh, and it doesn't come with a spark arrestor for the same reason KTM's XC line doesn't come with them...in order to sell them in CA, they have to be for "closed course competition". If they put a sparky on them, then they aren't for closed course comp any more.
there are some very stringent guidelines when it comes to building a "closed course" "offroad" bike and I commend Yamaha for reading between the lines. closed course and offroad are the only two ways a manufacturer can produce and sell a bike in the u.s. and here they are utilizing both parameters. even suzuki back in the day with the rmx being sold as an off road bike (had to meet epa sound of 89 db) and even then it had a monster silencer, pipe, throttle limiter and thick head gasket just to meet those requirements. and just IF you wanted it to run like a real 250 they offered a "closed course" competition kit which consisted of a new carb cap to let the throttle be twisted wide open, thicker head gasket, pipe and silencer, then you had a bike. yamaha went a little more wilder imho threading the lines...congrats
burn1986
Fantasy
3280th
6/4/2015 7:14pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2015 7:26pm
Tpog496 wrote:
"It's just a regurgitated 2006 YZ with some new plastic and a kickstand.
No E-start
No 6th gear
No higher capacity tank
No lights
Hardly enduro ready"

.Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh,Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh,Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh,Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh,Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh,Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh,Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh, Nuh uh,

gsxr6
6/4/2015 7:40pm
Many people will be racing these. And although it seems like very little, new two stroke models from any Japanese manufacturer are a huge deal. Many people flat out don't want a four stroke, don't want a KTM, and do intend to trail ride only. This is the bike for them. Probably no revalve needed, so pretty much a big tank and some engine work away from winning off road races.
Madc32
6/5/2015 1:03am
I'm considering selling my 13 300 xc to get this new YZ. I figure the hydraulic clutch is the only thing I'm giving up since the electric start doesn't work worth a crap and the suspension sucks.
VET176
6/5/2015 1:20am
newmann wrote:
.....and in the future when Honda cave into pressure and finally make a 2 stroke again, can we collectively tell them to shove it up their ass. Angry
Tony Grove
6/5/2015 6:57am
Mikeyam187 wrote:
Street legal 2 stroke, Not in this country. Europe, absolutely. Lots over there ride 85, 125 and 250 Supermoto bikes.

Hell TM, Husky, some others sell their moto bikes as Street legal SM Versions also.

This god damn country is too greenie, Yet its no big deal when 100s of miles of coast are covered with oil which is far more damaging to the environment than all the 2 strokes worldwide.

I mean seriously, how much hydrocarbons does a 125 or 250 cc 2 stroke even make?

bobojim
6/5/2015 6:34pm
Mikeyam187 wrote:
Tony Grove wrote:
Street legal 2 stroke, Not in this country. Europe, absolutely. Lots over there ride 85, 125 and 250 Supermoto bikes. Hell TM, Husky, some others sell...
Street legal 2 stroke, Not in this country. Europe, absolutely. Lots over there ride 85, 125 and 250 Supermoto bikes.

Hell TM, Husky, some others sell their moto bikes as Street legal SM Versions also.

This god damn country is too greenie, Yet its no big deal when 100s of miles of coast are covered with oil which is far more damaging to the environment than all the 2 strokes worldwide.

I mean seriously, how much hydrocarbons does a 125 or 250 cc 2 stroke even make?

Less if it was fuel injected Wink

Post a reply to: best Japanese dirt bike released in years for the US market

The Latest