brand new cam chain slack spot. auto tensioner

Edited Date/Time 4/3/2018 1:25pm
just done a full rebuild on 17 kx250f every thing is mint, but can not get chain tension correct? i using brand new oem cam chain, been taking slack up on ex side then instal ex cam followed by intake cam( fly wheel at TDC both cams holes and lobes lining up perfect. then resetting and installing auto cam chain tensioner body and then the spring pin washer and bolt. i here it click and it tensions up. do 1 rotation get one more click from tensioner then rotate few times to check everything is ok and it is but the cam chain has a slack spot just before TDC. i can release the 2x8mm bolts ever so slightly and manualy add 1 more click and retighten but becomes 2 tight. i cant figure this out and get the slack spot out?been following workshop manual through out. help please. cam chain tensioner is working properly i have double checked
|
mx216
4/2/2018 6:13pm Edited Date/Time 4/2/2018 6:13pm
JD#442_NZ wrote:
just done a full rebuild on 17 kx250f every thing is mint, but can not get chain tension correct? i using brand new oem cam chain...
just done a full rebuild on 17 kx250f every thing is mint, but can not get chain tension correct? i using brand new oem cam chain, been taking slack up on ex side then instal ex cam followed by intake cam( fly wheel at TDC both cams holes and lobes lining up perfect. then resetting and installing auto cam chain tensioner body and then the spring pin washer and bolt. i here it click and it tensions up. do 1 rotation get one more click from tensioner then rotate few times to check everything is ok and it is but the cam chain has a slack spot just before TDC. i can release the 2x8mm bolts ever so slightly and manualy add 1 more click and retighten but becomes 2 tight. i cant figure this out and get the slack spot out?been following workshop manual through out. help please. cam chain tensioner is working properly i have double checked
What's a full rebuild? New crank, new cams?
4/2/2018 6:20pm
JD#442_NZ wrote:
just done a full rebuild on 17 kx250f every thing is mint, but can not get chain tension correct? i using brand new oem cam chain...
mx216 wrote:
What's a full rebuild? New crank, new cams?
new crank new top end plus cam chain all oem. no new cams or valves
brocster
4/2/2018 7:32pm
You sure its on the teeth down at the crank?
4/2/2018 7:49pm
brocster wrote:
You sure its on the teeth down at the crank?
i been looking down with torch but i gonna take fly wheel off to be sure, iv run out of ideas

The Shop

BobPA
4/2/2018 9:00pm
How did you replace the cam chain without removing the flywheel?
4/2/2018 9:15pm
BobPA wrote:
How did you replace the cam chain without removing the flywheel?
i was reasembling the engine fly wheel was off already from replacing crank
Moto75
4/2/2018 9:20pm
Which way are you turning the crank & where on the chain are you seeing slack - between cams, intake to crank or crank to exhaust?
4/2/2018 10:34pm Edited Date/Time 4/2/2018 10:35pm
Moto75 wrote:
Which way are you turning the crank & where on the chain are you seeing slack - between cams, intake to crank or crank to exhaust?
in between cams but only as coming to tdc otherwise its ok. turning crank right to take slack up from between crank and ex cam then holding tuat wile inserting cam tensioner? can any one explain the corect method to taking the slack out before putting in tensioner
billyp330
4/3/2018 4:38am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2018 4:44am
JD#442_NZ wrote:
in between cams but only as coming to tdc otherwise its ok. turning crank right to take slack up from between crank and ex cam then...
in between cams but only as coming to tdc otherwise its ok. turning crank right to take slack up from between crank and ex cam then holding tuat wile inserting cam tensioner? can any one explain the corect method to taking the slack out before putting in tensioner

As far as keeping slack out of chain in between cams before you install the tensioner, I always make sure I'm at TDC then install cams so that both are rotated about 1 tooth out of TDC counter clock wise and ensure the chain is tight between the cams. Then I Install tensioner and this tightens the chain up and rotates the cams slightly clockwise so that the marks on the cams align with head and each other perfectly.
4/3/2018 1:25pm
JD#442_NZ wrote:
in between cams but only as coming to tdc otherwise its ok. turning crank right to take slack up from between crank and ex cam then...
billyp330 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/04/03/253287/s1200_cam_chain_tensioner_1.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/04/03/253288/s1200_cam_chain_tensioner_2.jpg[/img] As far as keeping slack out of chain in between cams before you install the tensioner, I always make sure I'm at TDC then...

As far as keeping slack out of chain in between cams before you install the tensioner, I always make sure I'm at TDC then install cams so that both are rotated about 1 tooth out of TDC counter clock wise and ensure the chain is tight between the cams. Then I Install tensioner and this tightens the chain up and rotates the cams slightly clockwise so that the marks on the cams align with head and each other perfectly.
sweet ill give that a go let you no how it works

Post a reply to: brand new cam chain slack spot. auto tensioner

The Latest