ask ping question today

Related:
Create New Tag

9/15/2017 10:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/15/2017 10:33 PM

so in the first question from Ask Ping today he makes a side comment when answering "like greasing the rim of your air filter before you install it - not relevant anymore". My question is when did this become irrelevant and why wouldn't you still do this today?? Every time I change filters I soak it with filter oil then use waterproof grease on the rim before installing to create a better seal for keeping dirt out of the air boot. Been taught that way from pops when I started riding 25 yrs ago. Never see a speck of dirt in the boot even in the wettest/muddiest/sandiest conditions. Can't see how this technique has been outdated or rendered unnecessary, filter technology has not exactly advanced much lol

|

9/15/2017 10:55 PM

Keeping doing it then! Don't let vital tell you it's wrong

|

9/15/2017 11:15 PM

as hes said before he doesnt even clean his air filters he just chucks em and opens up a new one. he also never works on his bike, not that he wont or cant but he just doesnt need to cause people take care of him

|

9/16/2017 12:10 AM

Gotcha. I shoulda realized it was just sarcastic banter from him. Guess I read too much into it lol.

|

9/16/2017 12:13 AM

This isn't really rocket science. Take a look at how tight the filter cage fits to the air boot with the filter off. I haven't seen a modern bike have any gaps there at all so there is no need to grease it. Especially if you have already oiled the filter including the lip/rim. just wasting your time...

|

9/16/2017 12:15 AM

Prob doesn't even pay attention to the damn sprocket bolts. To busy gazing through his weedmaps app between motoswhistling laughing

|

9/16/2017 12:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/16/2017 12:56 AM

Flip109 wrote:

Prob doesn't even pay attention to the damn sprocket bolts. To busy gazing through his weedmaps app between motoswhistling laughing

Maybe ping needs to apply bran power to the problem, vitards can be such morans sometimes

|

9/16/2017 1:05 AM

generallee121 wrote:

so in the first question from Ask Ping today he makes a side comment when answering "like greasing the rim of your air filter before you install it - not relevant anymore". My question is when did this become irrelevant and why wouldn't you still do this today?? Every time I change filters I soak it with filter oil then use waterproof grease on the rim before installing to create a better seal for keeping dirt out of the air boot. Been taught that way from pops when I started riding 25 yrs ago. Never see a speck of dirt in the boot even in the wettest/muddiest/sandiest conditions. Can't see how this technique has been outdated or rendered unnecessary, filter technology has not exactly advanced much lol

You "soak" your filter in air filter oil? That sounds like a lot of oil. I have never let my filter soak in filter oil-- more like a light coating, depending on the dust level.

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

9/16/2017 3:27 AM

I quit using it when we went to fourstrokes. On the yzf's the grease kept getting on the screen. The filter fits so tight I don't see the need.

|

2020 YZ450F
2018 KTM 450SXF FE
2016 YZ250F 2008 CRF450R
2015 YZ250F 2008 CRF250R
2001 CR250R
2010 YZ250 2012 CRF150R
2009 YZ125 2010 KX109.5
SSR Motorsports Dealer
TAGMX Suspension & Graphics! www.tagmxsuspension.com https://www.liquidskinzdesign.com/



9/16/2017 3:40 AM

That comment caught my eye too. I grease mine just like I always have and always will.

|

9/16/2017 4:54 AM

Same here and ride sand 50% of the time. Always greased never any issues.

|

9/16/2017 5:51 AM

hyler199 wrote:

as hes said before he doesnt even clean his air filters he just chucks em and opens up a new one. he also never works on his bike, not that he wont or cant but he just doesnt need to cause people take care of him

Sounds like Ping has a pretty good situation. Been retired for how many years now and still being treated like a factory rider. Not bad work if you can get it. Gets to ride on fire trucks occasionally too! wink

|

9/16/2017 6:07 AM

Pfft....What air filter??? You get much better flow and power without one.

|

9/16/2017 6:31 AM

hyler199 wrote:

as hes said before he doesnt even clean his air filters he just chucks em and opens up a new one. he also never works on his bike, not that he wont or cant but he just doesnt need to cause people take care of him

olds cool wrote:

Sounds like Ping has a pretty good situation. Been retired for how many years now and still being treated like a factory rider. Not bad work if you can get it. Gets to ride on fire trucks occasionally too! wink

Not sure what schedule he has, most public safety people I know work 45-60 hrs a week. Seems like he has alot of free time. And if he gets injured while riding, some places will terminate you. Non duty related.

|

9/16/2017 6:55 AM

I have never greased the rim of an air fitter in the last 25 years... doesn't need to be done.

|

9/16/2017 7:01 AM

I put grease on everything

|

9/16/2017 7:35 AM

disbanded wrote:

I put grease on everything

Please keep your bedroom fetishes off of Vital.

|

9/16/2017 7:58 AM

why do people throw away filters? seems like a huge waste. this sport gets enough heat from tree huggers.

|

If I'm healthy enough to complain. I shouldn't be complaining.

9/16/2017 8:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/16/2017 8:55 AM

mxb2 wrote:

Not sure what schedule he has, most public safety people I know work 45-60 hrs a week. Seems like he has alot of free time. And if he gets injured while riding, some places will terminate you. Non duty related.

It looks like his department runs 2 schedules, a 48-96 and a 4-6 schedule. As long as he doesn't get caught up in all the wildland fires during summer he can plan out pretty well in advance. As far as being terminated for getting hurt I haven't heard of that out here.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

9/16/2017 9:02 AM

olds cool wrote:

Sounds like Ping has a pretty good situation. Been retired for how many years now and still being treated like a factory rider. Not bad work if you can get it. Gets to ride on fire trucks occasionally too! wink

mxb2 wrote:

Not sure what schedule he has, most public safety people I know work 45-60 hrs a week. Seems like he has alot of free time. And if he gets injured while riding, some places will terminate you. Non duty related.

captmoto wrote:

It looks like his department runs 2 schedules, a 48-96 and a 4-6 schedule. As long as he doesn't get caught up in all the wildland fires during summer he can plan out pretty well in advance. As far as being terminated for getting hurt I haven't heard of that out here.

Different policy ,. Probably different departments. I ve seen people terminated , hurt off duty . Non duty related. After so many days off, get back to work or find another job.

|

9/16/2017 9:26 AM

coastie44 wrote:

This isn't really rocket science. Take a look at how tight the filter cage fits to the air boot with the filter off. I haven't seen a modern bike have any gaps there at all so there is no need to grease it. Especially if you have already oiled the filter including the lip/rim. just wasting your time...

That. It hasn't been necessary for at least twenty years. Some people even still use grease, as in...actual grease that you can only remove with gas/kerosene/diesel/etc. It's like driving fifty miles to get to the last VHS video rental store, or trying to send documents with a fax machine. Folks are missing out on an easier way, but they can keep at it as long as they like because it doesn't affect me one bit.

|

9/16/2017 12:21 PM

I find it hard to take advise from an adult who somehow thinks this hair style is cool.......


Photo

|

9/16/2017 12:24 PM

dirtnapper wrote:

I find it hard to take advise from an adult who somehow thinks this hair style is cool.......


Photo

Alberta: the fashion capital of North America.

|

9/16/2017 12:32 PM

mxb2 wrote:

Different policy ,. Probably different departments. I ve seen people terminated , hurt off duty . Non duty related. After so many days off, get back to work or find another job.

My department would work with you as long as the prognosis is positive and if a light duty spot is available. I was out for 5 months and went on reduced pay and stayed home. My department treated us pretty good on stuff like that.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

9/16/2017 12:34 PM

coastie44 wrote:

This isn't really rocket science. Take a look at how tight the filter cage fits to the air boot with the filter off. I haven't seen a modern bike have any gaps there at all so there is no need to grease it. Especially if you have already oiled the filter including the lip/rim. just wasting your time...

byke wrote:

That. It hasn't been necessary for at least twenty years. Some people even still use grease, as in...actual grease that you can only remove with gas/kerosene/diesel/etc. It's like driving fifty miles to get to the last VHS video rental store, or trying to send documents with a fax machine. Folks are missing out on an easier way, but they can keep at it as long as they like because it doesn't affect me one bit.

I never thought if that. I use grease and then gas to clean. What can I use to take the oil out if I don't use grease?

|

9/16/2017 1:03 PM

captmoto wrote:

It looks like his department runs 2 schedules, a 48-96 and a 4-6 schedule. As long as he doesn't get caught up in all the wildland fires during summer he can plan out pretty well in advance. As far as being terminated for getting hurt I haven't heard of that out here.

mxb2 wrote:

Different policy ,. Probably different departments. I ve seen people terminated , hurt off duty . Non duty related. After so many days off, get back to work or find another job.

captmoto wrote:

My department would work with you as long as the prognosis is positive and if a light duty spot is available. I was out for 5 months and went on reduced pay and stayed home. My department treated us pretty good on stuff like that.

X2, different policies , departments vary. They want you at work, not playing mx hero on weekends lol.

|

9/16/2017 2:51 PM

mxb2 wrote:

Different policy ,. Probably different departments. I ve seen people terminated , hurt off duty . Non duty related. After so many days off, get back to work or find another job.

captmoto wrote:

My department would work with you as long as the prognosis is positive and if a light duty spot is available. I was out for 5 months and went on reduced pay and stayed home. My department treated us pretty good on stuff like that.

mxb2 wrote:

X2, different policies , departments vary. They want you at work, not playing mx hero on weekends lol.

Wow, that's a shitty outlook. Our department doesn't care unless you have a second job and starts to interfere with work.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

9/16/2017 4:34 PM

Ping made the same kind of comment about people who tear down a brand new motorcycle to re grease everything. I'm certainly not one to question a former pro rider; though his hard and fast position on both topics is indeed interesting IMO

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

9/16/2017 4:38 PM

I put one of these in my airbox as soon as I got my bike. Seems to be good so far.Photo

|

9/16/2017 6:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/16/2017 6:09 PM

NorCal 50+ wrote:

You "soak" your filter in air filter oil? That sounds like a lot of oil. I have never let my filter soak in filter oil-- more like a light coating, depending on the dust level.

That's what I do too. Once they're cleaned, toss them in my clean filter oil bucket and wring them out by hand as much as I can and then throw them in a ziplock bag. They're not dripping or really even soaked; just tacky. Do you spray yours or what do you do?

|