ask ping question today

Edited Date/Time 9/16/2017 6:45pm
so in the first question from Ask Ping today he makes a side comment when answering "like greasing the rim of your air filter before you install it - not relevant anymore". My question is when did this become irrelevant and why wouldn't you still do this today?? Every time I change filters I soak it with filter oil then use waterproof grease on the rim before installing to create a better seal for keeping dirt out of the air boot. Been taught that way from pops when I started riding 25 yrs ago. Never see a speck of dirt in the boot even in the wettest/muddiest/sandiest conditions. Can't see how this technique has been outdated or rendered unnecessary, filter technology has not exactly advanced much lol
|
mwssquad827
9/15/2017 10:55pm
Keeping doing it then! Don't let vital tell you it's wrong
hyler199
9/15/2017 11:15pm
as hes said before he doesnt even clean his air filters he just chucks em and opens up a new one. he also never works on his bike, not that he wont or cant but he just doesnt need to cause people take care of him
9/16/2017 12:10am
Gotcha. I shoulda realized it was just sarcastic banter from him. Guess I read too much into it lol.
coastie44
9/16/2017 12:13am
This isn't really rocket science. Take a look at how tight the filter cage fits to the air boot with the filter off. I haven't seen a modern bike have any gaps there at all so there is no need to grease it. Especially if you have already oiled the filter including the lip/rim. just wasting your time...

The Shop

Flip109
9/16/2017 12:15am
Prob doesn't even pay attention to the damn sprocket bolts. To busy gazing through his weedmaps app between motosWhistlingLaughing
coastie44
9/16/2017 12:52am Edited Date/Time 9/16/2017 12:56am
Flip109 wrote:
Prob doesn't even pay attention to the damn sprocket bolts. To busy gazing through his weedmaps app between motosWhistlingLaughing
Maybe ping needs to apply bran power to the problem, vitards can be such morans sometimes
NorCal 50+
9/16/2017 1:05am
so in the first question from Ask Ping today he makes a side comment when answering "like greasing the rim of your air filter before you...
so in the first question from Ask Ping today he makes a side comment when answering "like greasing the rim of your air filter before you install it - not relevant anymore". My question is when did this become irrelevant and why wouldn't you still do this today?? Every time I change filters I soak it with filter oil then use waterproof grease on the rim before installing to create a better seal for keeping dirt out of the air boot. Been taught that way from pops when I started riding 25 yrs ago. Never see a speck of dirt in the boot even in the wettest/muddiest/sandiest conditions. Can't see how this technique has been outdated or rendered unnecessary, filter technology has not exactly advanced much lol
You "soak" your filter in air filter oil? That sounds like a lot of oil. I have never let my filter soak in filter oil-- more like a light coating, depending on the dust level.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
9/16/2017 3:27am
I quit using it when we went to fourstrokes. On the yzf's the grease kept getting on the screen. The filter fits so tight I don't see the need.
Cycle Sport
9/16/2017 3:40am
That comment caught my eye too. I grease mine just like I always have and always will.
dedi684
9/16/2017 4:54am
Same here and ride sand 50% of the time. Always greased never any issues.
olds cool
9/16/2017 5:51am
hyler199 wrote:
as hes said before he doesnt even clean his air filters he just chucks em and opens up a new one. he also never works on...
as hes said before he doesnt even clean his air filters he just chucks em and opens up a new one. he also never works on his bike, not that he wont or cant but he just doesnt need to cause people take care of him
Sounds like Ping has a pretty good situation. Been retired for how many years now and still being treated like a factory rider. Not bad work if you can get it. Gets to ride on fire trucks occasionally too! Wink
ATKpilot99
9/16/2017 6:07am
Pfft....What air filter??? You get much better flow and power without one.
mxb2
9/16/2017 6:31am
hyler199 wrote:
as hes said before he doesnt even clean his air filters he just chucks em and opens up a new one. he also never works on...
olds cool wrote:
Sounds like Ping has a pretty good situation. Been retired for how many years now and still being treated like a factory rider. Not bad work...
Sounds like Ping has a pretty good situation. Been retired for how many years now and still being treated like a factory rider. Not bad work if you can get it. Gets to ride on fire trucks occasionally too! Wink
Not sure what schedule he has, most public safety people I know work 45-60 hrs a week. Seems like he has alot of free time. And if he gets injured while riding, some places will terminate you. Non duty related.
slipdog
9/16/2017 6:55am
I have never greased the rim of an air fitter in the last 25 years... doesn't need to be done.
slipdog
9/16/2017 7:35am
disbanded wrote:
I put grease on everything
Please keep your bedroom fetishes off of Vital.
smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
9/16/2017 7:58am
why do people throw away filters? seems like a huge waste. this sport gets enough heat from tree huggers.
captmoto
9/16/2017 8:52am Edited Date/Time 9/16/2017 8:55am
mxb2 wrote:
Not sure what schedule he has, most public safety people I know work 45-60 hrs a week. Seems like he has alot of free time. And...
Not sure what schedule he has, most public safety people I know work 45-60 hrs a week. Seems like he has alot of free time. And if he gets injured while riding, some places will terminate you. Non duty related.
It looks like his department runs 2 schedules, a 48-96 and a 4-6 schedule. As long as he doesn't get caught up in all the wildland fires during summer he can plan out pretty well in advance. As far as being terminated for getting hurt I haven't heard of that out here.
mxb2
9/16/2017 9:02am
mxb2 wrote:
Not sure what schedule he has, most public safety people I know work 45-60 hrs a week. Seems like he has alot of free time. And...
captmoto wrote:
It looks like his department runs 2 schedules, a 48-96 and a 4-6 schedule. As long as he doesn't get caught up in all the wildland...
It looks like his department runs 2 schedules, a 48-96 and a 4-6 schedule. As long as he doesn't get caught up in all the wildland fires during summer he can plan out pretty well in advance. As far as being terminated for getting hurt I haven't heard of that out here.
Different policy ,. Probably different departments. I ve seen people terminated , hurt off duty . Non duty related. After so many days off, get back to work or find another job.
byke
9/16/2017 9:26am
coastie44 wrote:
This isn't really rocket science. Take a look at how tight the filter cage fits to the air boot with the filter off. I haven't seen...
This isn't really rocket science. Take a look at how tight the filter cage fits to the air boot with the filter off. I haven't seen a modern bike have any gaps there at all so there is no need to grease it. Especially if you have already oiled the filter including the lip/rim. just wasting your time...
That. It hasn't been necessary for at least twenty years. Some people even still use grease, as in...actual grease that you can only remove with gas/kerosene/diesel/etc. It's like driving fifty miles to get to the last VHS video rental store, or trying to send documents with a fax machine. Folks are missing out on an easier way, but they can keep at it as long as they like because it doesn't affect me one bit.
dirtnapper
9/16/2017 12:21pm
I find it hard to take advise from an adult who somehow thinks this hair style is cool.......

TheLsho
Fantasy
874th
9/16/2017 12:24pm
dirtnapper wrote:
I find it hard to take advise from an adult who somehow thinks this hair style is cool....... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/16/215010/s1200_20170416_174634_HDR.jpg[/img]
I find it hard to take advise from an adult who somehow thinks this hair style is cool.......

Alberta: the fashion capital of North America.
captmoto
9/16/2017 12:32pm
mxb2 wrote:
Different policy ,. Probably different departments. I ve seen people terminated , hurt off duty . Non duty related. After so many days off, get back...
Different policy ,. Probably different departments. I ve seen people terminated , hurt off duty . Non duty related. After so many days off, get back to work or find another job.
My department would work with you as long as the prognosis is positive and if a light duty spot is available. I was out for 5 months and went on reduced pay and stayed home. My department treated us pretty good on stuff like that.
dedi684
9/16/2017 12:34pm
coastie44 wrote:
This isn't really rocket science. Take a look at how tight the filter cage fits to the air boot with the filter off. I haven't seen...
byke wrote:
That. It hasn't been necessary for at least twenty years. Some people even still use grease, as in...actual grease that you can only remove with gas/kerosene/diesel/etc...
That. It hasn't been necessary for at least twenty years. Some people even still use grease, as in...actual grease that you can only remove with gas/kerosene/diesel/etc. It's like driving fifty miles to get to the last VHS video rental store, or trying to send documents with a fax machine. Folks are missing out on an easier way, but they can keep at it as long as they like because it doesn't affect me one bit.
I never thought if that. I use grease and then gas to clean. What can I use to take the oil out if I don't use grease?
mxb2
9/16/2017 1:03pm
mxb2 wrote:
Different policy ,. Probably different departments. I ve seen people terminated , hurt off duty . Non duty related. After so many days off, get back...
captmoto wrote:
My department would work with you as long as the prognosis is positive and if a light duty spot is available. I was out for 5...
My department would work with you as long as the prognosis is positive and if a light duty spot is available. I was out for 5 months and went on reduced pay and stayed home. My department treated us pretty good on stuff like that.
X2, different policies , departments vary. They want you at work, not playing mx hero on weekends lol.
captmoto
9/16/2017 2:51pm
mxb2 wrote:
captmoto wrote:
My department would work with you as long as the prognosis is positive and if a light duty spot is available. I was out for 5...
mxb2 wrote:
X2, different policies , departments vary. They want you at work, not playing mx hero on weekends lol.
Wow, that's a shitty outlook. Our department doesn't care unless you have a second job and starts to interfere with work.
9/16/2017 4:34pm
Ping made the same kind of comment about people who tear down a brand new motorcycle to re grease everything. I'm certainly not one to question a former pro rider; though his hard and fast position on both topics is indeed interesting IMO
9/16/2017 4:38pm
I put one of these in my airbox as soon as I got my bike. Seems to be good so far.

aeffertz
9/16/2017 6:08pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2017 6:09pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
You "soak" your filter in air filter oil? That sounds like a lot of oil. I have never let my filter soak in filter oil-- more...
You "soak" your filter in air filter oil? That sounds like a lot of oil. I have never let my filter soak in filter oil-- more like a light coating, depending on the dust level.
That's what I do too. Once they're cleaned, toss them in my clean filter oil bucket and wring them out by hand as much as I can and then throw them in a ziplock bag. They're not dripping or really even soaked; just tacky. Do you spray yours or what do you do?
Titan1
9/16/2017 6:30pm
I don't grease mine...never had a problem with dirt in the boot...keep in mind, I race in the desert, incredibly dusty most of the time. No need to grease the rim of the filter anymore.

Post a reply to: ask ping question today

The Latest