are old school privateers more hardcore?

BobbyM
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 4:34am
maybe....maybe not but this page is pretty cool.

|
ridge
10/7/2008 4:50pm
I think so. ...when men were men.
ddog558
10/7/2008 4:59pm
Yes, definitely. Back in the day, you could identify a privateer by the beat up kidnapper van or pickup, with a dirty bike, and himself as the mechanic. I tear up every time I see one of the new "Privateers" trying to decide which semi he has to make do with, or which flight is offering the complimentary champagne.......its sad really! Sad
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
10/7/2008 5:06pm
Forgot what I was gonna say. Something about Canada. I think. Umm, I'll be right back.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
10/7/2008 5:10pm
Ahh. Now I remember.

I dunno, Bobby, that Dean Wilson kid managed a 4-1 overall in lites at Swan last weekend. What's so great about that? Well, rumor has it he broke his wrist in practice. That's pretty damned core if you ask me. He was hauling.

The Shop

Digger437
10/7/2008 5:10pm
"Gophers" I like it!

We need the Race in racing again.
BobbyM
10/7/2008 6:57pm
Ahh. Now I remember. I dunno, Bobby, that Dean Wilson kid managed a 4-1 overall in lites at Swan last weekend. What's so great about that...
Ahh. Now I remember.

I dunno, Bobby, that Dean Wilson kid managed a 4-1 overall in lites at Swan last weekend. What's so great about that? Well, rumor has it he broke his wrist in practice. That's pretty damned core if you ask me. He was hauling.
cool

me and a friend drove 5 hours down to keysville and dove springs area, my dad lived in lake Isabella and the first 1/2 mile i went down hard and broke my wrist. it was cold and sleeting. my bud sez " i didn't drive 5 hours to turn around and go home". so i rode for the next 3-4 hours...it wasn't bad either, i was so fucking cold i couldn't feel my wrist. Smile
slomoto
10/7/2008 8:53pm
some good trails over in keysville area. as for the old school privateers, they were so were the factory guys . the year Bailey duck taped his boot on his broken foot, now a days they wont ride if they have a paper cut.
blueflag
10/7/2008 9:34pm
Look at the beards Those are men. There is not one rider on the track today that looks that manly.
10/7/2008 10:28pm
Ahh. Now I remember. I dunno, Bobby, that Dean Wilson kid managed a 4-1 overall in lites at Swan last weekend. What's so great about that...
Ahh. Now I remember.

Yeah Dean's wrist looks pretty rough.. Definitely swollen more than just a sprain. Said he was going to get it checked out monday. Couldn't tell he was even riding hurt, running right on pace with the top guys in all 4 motos.
TG130
10/7/2008 10:54pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 8:45pm
ddog558 wrote:
Yes, definitely. Back in the day, you could identify a privateer by the beat up kidnapper van or pickup, with a dirty bike, and himself as...
Yes, definitely. Back in the day, you could identify a privateer by the beat up kidnapper van or pickup, with a dirty bike, and himself as the mechanic. I tear up every time I see one of the new "Privateers" trying to decide which semi he has to make do with, or which flight is offering the complimentary champagne.......its sad really! Sad
You hit the nail on the head.

What ever happened to the days of Guy and Jayna Cooper driving to the races in a beat up old gas guzzlin 4 door sedan, towing a U Haul trailer, sleeping in the car and living day to day literally ?

Privateers today have it better than most factory riders did back in the day.
moto111
Fantasy
1438th
10/7/2008 11:15pm
The older we get the more hard core we were ?
G Force
10/7/2008 11:17pm
moto111 wrote:
I think you nailed it! Cool
jmar
10/7/2008 11:29pm
What ever happened to the days of Guy and Jayna Cooper driving to the races in a beat up old gas guzzlin 4 door sedan, towing a U Haul trailer, sleeping in the car and living day to day literally ?

If only those days were here again the racing would be so much better. Maybe we could make it even better if we required all of the riders to wear the old style Bates leather riding pants and open face helmets.
The older generation of riders really had it going on and today’s riders are just a bunch of little sissies.

jmar
10/7/2008 11:31pm
moto111 wrote:
Some here are legends in their own minds
bultokid
10/8/2008 5:46am
moto111 wrote:
ain't that the truth ! same goes for baseball, football. BUT the cold hard truth is we are VERY soft these days. Compared to our fathers, we the kids of the 50's - 60's had it easy if the truth be told. It's all relative in time
BobbyM
10/8/2008 6:41am
here's more from the same mag.

AMA714
10/8/2008 6:58am
Like almost every other sport....Money changes it.

Back in the day there was no money in it, you rode you ass off even when hurt just to try and make some money to get to the next race. There were only a couple of guys getting paid to go racing and that made everyone else try harder to get that 1 spot...

Today there are a lot of fast guys that have been getting support or $$ since they were kids... They know that if they are fast some sponsor will want to tie their name to them. They dont know this sport without someone helping them? Probably wouldnt do it on their own dime.

There are a few guys out there that are hard core and going racing on their own money, just very few top pro's.
10/8/2008 7:02am
slomoto wrote:
some good trails over in keysville area. as for the old school privateers, they were so were the factory guys . the year Bailey duck taped...
some good trails over in keysville area. as for the old school privateers, they were so were the factory guys . the year Bailey duck taped his boot on his broken foot, now a days they wont ride if they have a paper cut.
I seem to remember Ryno doing that a few years ago.
And RC racing with a broke hand and David Bailey said he would never would have been able to do that

"moto111 wrote: The older we get the more hard core we were"
Absolutely
10/8/2008 7:05am
AMA714 wrote:
Like almost every other sport....Money changes it. Back in the day there was no money in it, you rode you ass off even when hurt just...
Like almost every other sport....Money changes it.

Back in the day there was no money in it, you rode you ass off even when hurt just to try and make some money to get to the next race. There were only a couple of guys getting paid to go racing and that made everyone else try harder to get that 1 spot...

Today there are a lot of fast guys that have been getting support or $$ since they were kids... They know that if they are fast some sponsor will want to tie their name to them. They dont know this sport without someone helping them? Probably wouldnt do it on their own dime.

There are a few guys out there that are hard core and going racing on their own money, just very few top pro's.
Would you say it was cheaper to race then or now?
Is it possible to race professionally on your own dime like it was then?
Would the "hardcore" racers of yesterday say no to the money offered nowadays to be more "hardcore" and for the love of the sport?

AMA714
10/8/2008 7:21am
The sport has changed a lot. I think its a lot more expensive to race now...There was more to gain back then just because it was still new.

I dont think the "Hardcore" guys would say no to money... Most took the money when it started to come in, but they were a tougher bunch of guys that were on ground floor of the sport.

I think if you look at our sport from the amatures up to pro there is still a lot of Hardcore riders... but now you have a business of having pro riders that are paid very well by a team that has obligations to a sponsor so a rider does not ride hurt and jeopradize getting more injured and end up out.

Do you think the tem pays a riders salary when they sit out?? or is it insurance money?

Anyway.... I know a bunch of guys trying to make it to the top of our sport, and they ride hurt all the time. There are Hardcore guys out there..... Ask anyone how hardcore Sean Hamblin is.....He had his shoulder put back in on the side of the track, taped it in and rode 2 moto's...
jmar
10/8/2008 8:15am
That’s what really irritates me about some on this board. Most have not been involved at the professional level and have no idea how hard today’s riders work and how many ride injured. The only riders that seem to get any exposure while riding hurt are the top tier guys but in reality 75% of these guys ride hurt with shoulder problems, tears to the ACL and Meniscus, Stress Fractures ect.

Today's riders are tough no matter what some of you old "core" guys think.

BobbyM
10/8/2008 8:17am
jmar wrote:
That’s what really irritates me about some on this board. Most have not been involved at the professional level and have no idea how hard today’s...
That’s what really irritates me about some on this board. Most have not been involved at the professional level and have no idea how hard today’s riders work and how many ride injured. The only riders that seem to get any exposure while riding hurt are the top tier guys but in reality 75% of these guys ride hurt with shoulder problems, tears to the ACL and Meniscus, Stress Fractures ect.

you bet they are, most anyway...and anybody that races scooters rides hurt in some fashion all the time.
CamP
10/8/2008 9:14am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 8:45pm
The old school guys and the new school guys both have/had a tough road to hoe. The new school guys may have a few more creature comforts, but the effort involved in making it to the national level is no less difficult than it was 30 years ago.

I do remember seeing Decoster wash up with a small bucket of dingy water after a moto at Lake Whitney back in '74. I think the factory Suzuki mechanics got the water out of the Brazos River.
ridge
10/8/2008 9:41am
jmar wrote:
That’s what really irritates me about some on this board. Most have not been involved at the professional level and have no idea how hard today’s...

Good point.

I said what I said earlier because I think all boys in general are not as tough, not just MXrs. I know I had it easier than my dad. The guys in the pictures above look tougher and more like men than my generation. The guys in the pictures above were raised by parents who lived through the great depression. It makes a difference.

Here's my take on this and I might be waaaay off base. People are having children at early ages and are more lenient (sp?) with their kids. The older you get, the more hardened you become and it's 'your way or the highway'. I think you mature quite a bit after your parents have passed, but a lot of us don't really grow up until then.
10/8/2008 10:50am
jmar wrote:

ridge wrote:
Good point. I said what I said earlier because I think all boys in general are not as tough, not just MXrs. I know I had...
Good point.

I said what I said earlier because I think all boys in general are not as tough, not just MXrs. I know I had it easier than my dad. The guys in the pictures above look tougher and more like men than my generation. The guys in the pictures above were raised by parents who lived through the great depression. It makes a difference.

Here's my take on this and I might be waaaay off base. People are having children at early ages and are more lenient (sp?) with their kids. The older you get, the more hardened you become and it's 'your way or the highway'. I think you mature quite a bit after your parents have passed, but a lot of us don't really grow up until then.
I disagree greatly with the last part. Older parents are way more protective of their kids
ridge
10/8/2008 10:58am
I disagree greatly with the last part. Older parents are way more protective of their kids
You might be right, but they will kick the bucket sooner and then it's time to ditch the underoos and go get laid. LOL
oldx
10/8/2008 11:19am
Well, you don't see many privateers sleeping in tents or the back seat anymore.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
10/8/2008 11:24am
Ok. I'm going to try to pop the ballon that is this thread.

Bobby, "Soft Motocrosser" is an oxymoron, if I ever heard one. Kind of like "pussy bullrider". There simply ain't no such thing.

You can't participate in this sport, at any level, then or now, without being one tough mofo.

I think that's what most people like about it.

Post a reply to: are old school privateers more hardcore?

The Latest