anyone practice in the rain and mud? IWHWD

hillbilly
Edited Date/Time 1/7/2016 9:20am
With A1 looking wet i would be flogging a bike in mud for the next 3 days.

Used to do it here all thetime,usually had 2 bikes,one for practicing so that helped.

Seems like tomac said dad made him ride in the mud. Probably rare today.
|
Rowlands
1/6/2016 12:57pm
You have no choice in Britain on the off season Blink
peelout
1/6/2016 12:59pm
i ride all the time offroad if it's raining. i never did on the track unless it was a race though
mjr119
1/6/2016 12:59pm
I used to practice in the mud but was never good at it (race or practice). Now if it's wet, I'll go ride a sand track. I rode in some wet sand 2 weeks ago and it was actually fun.
1/6/2016 1:08pm
Rowlands wrote:
lol, ain't that the truth......Summer sometimes too!.

The Shop

moto455va
1/6/2016 1:15pm
Since I dont have anyone buying parts for me, I avoid mud riding.
1/6/2016 1:25pm Edited Date/Time 1/6/2016 1:30pm
I used to ride in the mud but I don't anymore. Wrecks the chain, spockets, chain sliders, brake pads, discs, plastics. It just screws the bike up.
Titan1
1/6/2016 1:28pm
peelout wrote:
i ride all the time offroad if it's raining. i never did on the track unless it was a race though
Give me some desert single track in the rain!!!! Mountain single track is a different story though...
kkawboy14
1/6/2016 1:32pm
You can't ride in Texas if it's raining,,,,,it's more like a slip and slide or ice skating deal
peelout
1/6/2016 1:35pm Edited Date/Time 1/6/2016 1:35pm
peelout wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
Give me some desert single track in the rain!!!! Mountain single track is a different story though...
lol yeah, that's why i left it at "offroad" and not mountain enduro lol. a day down at Cherry Creek in the rain or right after? schwing

the mountain trails i ride are tricky enough and very exposed to long long drops when dry, no way i'm riding some of them wet
RF145
1/6/2016 1:45pm
When I was a much younger person in the Seventies and Eighties, I did not care what the weather was like. Snow, cold, rain, whatever, I rode as much as I wanted to. Yes, my bikes wore out, but I did not care as the new bikes were coming out next year and I worked my ass off to pay for replacement parts so I could ride all the time.

Fast forward to me turning 58 next month, and yes I will still ride if it is muddy, but not so much if it is cold and raining. Riding in the snow, a distant memory.

This all might change though and I think I will revert back to my childhood of riding as much as possible. This is why. Five years back, as I sat at a stop sign, a young lady on her cell phone drove through the back of my car blowing my back out and leaving me a physical mess. I barely felt good enough to ride most years (3 out of the 5 years I did not ride at all) and as I laid in bed or on the couch, all I could think about was if I would ever ride again (I saw a billion doctors, tried Eastern and Western Medicine and did not see anything good until this year). So, now that I got 7 good rides in this fall, I am looking to ride as much as possible and I will just dress for the weather and replace parts as needed. There is no riding in death or if your health stops you. And all I did was stop for a Stop sign.

Like the old Honda ad, "I just want to ride".

The other thing is I do all of my own work, so I only have the cost of the parts when I have to replace worn out parts from riding in the mud.

Camp332
1/6/2016 1:46pm
I only jump the triples in the mud Hillbilly
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
1/6/2016 1:49pm
All the SX track builders/prepers are hoping the guys stay off the test tracks in this rain.

But it'd probably help.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
1/6/2016 1:51pm
moto455va wrote:
Since I dont have anyone buying parts for me, I avoid mud riding.
Exactly
Tracktor
1/6/2016 1:54pm
Camp332 wrote:
I only jump the triples in the mud Hillbilly
Damnit, ya beat me to it...........
1/6/2016 2:29pm
RF145 wrote:
When I was a much younger person in the Seventies and Eighties, I did not care what the weather was like. Snow, cold, rain, whatever, I...
When I was a much younger person in the Seventies and Eighties, I did not care what the weather was like. Snow, cold, rain, whatever, I rode as much as I wanted to. Yes, my bikes wore out, but I did not care as the new bikes were coming out next year and I worked my ass off to pay for replacement parts so I could ride all the time.

Fast forward to me turning 58 next month, and yes I will still ride if it is muddy, but not so much if it is cold and raining. Riding in the snow, a distant memory.

This all might change though and I think I will revert back to my childhood of riding as much as possible. This is why. Five years back, as I sat at a stop sign, a young lady on her cell phone drove through the back of my car blowing my back out and leaving me a physical mess. I barely felt good enough to ride most years (3 out of the 5 years I did not ride at all) and as I laid in bed or on the couch, all I could think about was if I would ever ride again (I saw a billion doctors, tried Eastern and Western Medicine and did not see anything good until this year). So, now that I got 7 good rides in this fall, I am looking to ride as much as possible and I will just dress for the weather and replace parts as needed. There is no riding in death or if your health stops you. And all I did was stop for a Stop sign.

Like the old Honda ad, "I just want to ride".

The other thing is I do all of my own work, so I only have the cost of the parts when I have to replace worn out parts from riding in the mud.

That's a food for thought story right there my friend, glad your still positive & things are better, having the moto buz I'm sure has helped pull you through it all and given you something to fight for, as you say...just to ride is a gift.

newmann
1/6/2016 2:33pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
You can't ride in Texas if it's raining,,,,,it's more like a slip and slide or ice skating deal
One of my best days was a light misting rain at Cycle Ranch. Just enough to screw your vision and keep the track moist and sticky. The old 74 CR250 was carrying the front wheel out of corners and just ripped the whole track. It was like I just couldn't screw up and that is highly abnormal for me...Laughing . Mud, fugg that. Been there, hated that.
Tim507
1/6/2016 2:34pm Edited Date/Time 1/6/2016 2:45pm
Damn straight - practice in the mud (WAS) a blast when I was young and new no different.

In 1974 at Gaildorf at an international race (I was riding support) it rained all friggen night! For the 1st practice it was deep and wet and no umbrella.......

My buddy went out for one lap and it took him 15 minutes or more. He came in and was pissed. I bet him a 20 that I would be back in a few minutes - ha I was back in about 3 - give me the 20 bitchWoohoo

Gaildorf is one hilly track with down hill 180's and LOTS of off cambers. It was a hoot, of course it helped being from the NW.

In the International Moto's, Wolsink lapped up to 2nd or 3rd place in both moto's - that was awesome to watch
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
1/6/2016 2:45pm
I enjoy the mud on a 4 stroke. If you can ride WFO in the mud with a overweight 450 it makes the perfect days that much funner.
BobPA
1/6/2016 3:18pm
We always used to ride in the mud.

Still ride in the woods when it is raining.

I actually enjoy riding mud....PA has that affect on people.
HenryA
1/6/2016 3:21pm
Rowlands wrote:
Sweden says amen to that
luckyguy19
1/6/2016 3:28pm
peelout wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
I tell people all the time riding in wet sand is like skiing in fresh powder or carving perfect waves. We call it Ego Dirt. They usually just bert stare me.
Uncle Tony
1/6/2016 3:31pm
Tim507 wrote:
Damn straight - practice in the mud (WAS) a blast when I was young and new no different. In 1974 at Gaildorf at an international race...
Damn straight - practice in the mud (WAS) a blast when I was young and new no different.

In 1974 at Gaildorf at an international race (I was riding support) it rained all friggen night! For the 1st practice it was deep and wet and no umbrella.......

My buddy went out for one lap and it took him 15 minutes or more. He came in and was pissed. I bet him a 20 that I would be back in a few minutes - ha I was back in about 3 - give me the 20 bitchWoohoo

Gaildorf is one hilly track with down hill 180's and LOTS of off cambers. It was a hoot, of course it helped being from the NW.

In the International Moto's, Wolsink lapped up to 2nd or 3rd place in both moto's - that was awesome to watch
Payerne Switzerland 1994 snowed the night before qualifying never rode ruts so deep, those euros can ride that stuff
Meister
1/6/2016 5:09pm
I used to pray for mudders at big races cuz I'm from Ohio and regularly rode and practiced in mud. Now that im 30 and new 450s cost almost 10g's, my bike stays in the truck if its sprinkling. Fair weather to the max. Mainly due to my budget and my hatred towards washing mud off everything.
1/6/2016 5:18pm
I love riding and practicing in the mud, you can't really avoid it in the UK, although I've seen plenty of people turn up to tracks only to leave and go home without even getting the bike out of the van.

The first race I ever won was a mudder. It was my second year of racing and I usually ran about mid pack in the dry and went out and won the first moto of the day with a 50 second lead over 2nd place. That win was definitely a result of practicing in the mud. I went from 3rd to 1st in one move in that race, while 1st and 2nd were tiptoeing through a rut that went round a particularly boggy part of the track, I just pointed the bike at the bog, grabbed a handful of throttle and plowed straight past both of them.

I'm probably the minority here but I enjoy riding hard pack clay tracks that have just been rained on, can't beat that icy feeling Laughing

bsharkey
1/6/2016 5:36pm
the Washington riders will be in fine shape
Titan1
1/6/2016 6:11pm
peelout wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
luckyguy19 wrote:
I tell people all the time riding in wet sand is like skiing in fresh powder or carving perfect waves. We call it Ego Dirt. They...
I tell people all the time riding in wet sand is like skiing in fresh powder or carving perfect waves. We call it Ego Dirt. They usually just bert stare me.
That's a good comparison! We call it hero dirt. Cherry Creek out here in the rain (like Peelout mentioned) is pure bliss!
1/6/2016 6:12pm
This was ten years ago at a local track.. it was raining when I loaded up and drove an hour to a soaked track. Temps were around 38F. I was the only rider there, and the owner felt bad and let me in for free. Cheerful

I lasted an hour or so before loading up to head home. It took at least an hour to get the bike cleaned up.

When ya gotta ride, ya gotta ride.
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
1/6/2016 6:24pm
I do. If the track is open on a day I have scheduled to ride, I ride.
How else am I going to get good at riding mud?
cable
1/6/2016 7:12pm Edited Date/Time 1/6/2016 7:14pm
Never had to practice it, always had to race it, in Michigan. With spring races starting in March, we were lucky if the ground wasn't frozen, or had snow on it. If it was muddy and not raining, it was going to be a good day. One of the biggest ass whooping i took in the spring, was from a pro mx license holder, who Ice raced all winter. Our contingency races used to be in the spring, so everyone showed up no matter what the weather was, excited, thinking they were gonna win some money. lol

Post a reply to: anyone practice in the rain and mud? IWHWD

The Latest