anyone have a distal radial fracture?

rossi46
Edited Date/Time 11/12/2021 5:28am
Has anyone had a distal radial fracture and have ongoing pain and problems with it?
i had a bad break 5 years ago and the surgeon was going to fuse it, he ended up putting a plate and a heap of screws in there and a bone graft from my hip too.
I still have daily pain and tingling in the wrist and fingers. I work with my hands and the causes lots of swelling as well, i was thinking of having the hardware removed.
|
JB479
1/31/2015 2:07am
I broke mine end of August. I was in a cast for 5 weeks. I was backing riding in 6 weeks. Yeah mine still isnt healed 100% but i just deal with it. My break doesnt sound as bad yours. I hope you get it sorted.
Wahtash
1/31/2015 2:10am
You mean something like this?

jimmie
1/31/2015 3:12am
Broke my radius and ulna along with a dislocation in my left risk way back in 2004. Had to wear an external fixator for 6 weeks, 6 pins then a cast for a couple more weeks.

Other than some limited range of motion (supination or palms up) I have a very minimal amount of pain at this time ten years down the road.

Was a bitch a regain the limited ROM I still retain today, but yeah the pain, swelling and tingling that you suffer is not a problem I have to deal with on a daily basis.

Hardware removal might just be what you need, who knows? Injuries of this nature can be a real pain-in-the-ass, good luck.
rossi46
1/31/2015 2:39pm
Wahtash wrote:
You mean something like this? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/01/31/78715/s1200_2011_09_06_11_26_09_583.jpg[/img]
You mean something like this?

Yep... looks just like mine

The Shop

Wahtash
1/31/2015 2:51pm

I did both of mine at the same time. Had external traction on right for a month, had the left plated, had the right re-broken and plated, couldn't afford the follow ups or the PT. It took two years before the pain went away. Feels great now, most of the time. I use my hands for a living, too. Doctors suck.
Old-Man
1/31/2015 3:08pm
Think he's talking about the Radial in your lower leg Wahtash but I know what your talking about.

Still have the Titanium they pulled out of my leg. I opted to have it out after the healing process.
It's about 20" long and as big around as a pool cue end.
Glad I did it when I was young and healthy because I heard stories of it never healing 100%

See if I can find it to post
Old-Man
1/31/2015 3:11pm
Wahtash anybody ever tell you that you look like this guy?
jtmaster
1/31/2015 3:40pm
Old-Man wrote:
Think he's talking about the Radial in your lower leg Wahtash but I know what your talking about. Still have the Titanium they pulled out of...
Think he's talking about the Radial in your lower leg Wahtash but I know what your talking about.

Still have the Titanium they pulled out of my leg. I opted to have it out after the healing process.
It's about 20" long and as big around as a pool cue end.
Glad I did it when I was young and healthy because I heard stories of it never healing 100%

See if I can find it to post
WTH is a radial in the lower leg? You just may be confused a little with your anatomy
honda907
1/31/2015 7:11pm
I had one at the end of June in 2013. I have a plate and 16 screws. Took 4 months before I was good enough to ride again with an Allsport brace. Right hand (throttle). Weak. Had a little trouble holding on, so I just went a little slower. Took about 4 months to build up to where the strenght was about 90%. Took most of the year to get to 100% strength.

Pissed my doctor off a lot and never went back. Said I was going to mess it up riding a bicycle and turning wrenches with the cast on . I didn't sit on the couch pushing a remote. I have a business to run....

Rode my bicycle 3 weeks after surgery. Got in a lot of trouble for that when my cast come off. Kinda went like this:

DOC: So it looks real good. I say you were lucky that it healed so straight.
me: Good, that's what you do for a living. I'm glad it looks good
DOC: So how does it feel?
me; Good Doesn't hurt. Just stiff since you sawed the cast off
DOC: You been taking it easy I take it? That's good,,,
ME: Yeah, I only ride my road bicycle for about 40 minutes, then it starts to hurt a little and I finish up the ride then. Do that and some weight training everyday..
DOC: looks at me very intently and said" I thought we discussed that you would take it easy Blah, blah, blah"
me: nothing to say
Doc" walks out of room and I never see him again. EVER.!

PT guy (only went 2 times) said I had a high threshold of pain. Shoot, I just wanted to ride my bike, so I didn't sit on my but.

Was Told I wouldn't get ROM more than 50-75% at my age (53 at the time) I got 95%, and it gets better all the time

Used an Allsport brace till about a month ago when I ride. Just went to CA on a MX Vacation for 4 days of riding about 2 weeks ago and I didn't use my Allsport brace. No problems. I'm good again.

Moral: get that blood to flow. Don't sit on your arse on the couch. You get what you put into it. Eat well, lots of fresh vegtibles and meat. Nothing out of a box. Vitamins too.

19tmb92
11/11/2021 7:25am
I had a distal radius fracture last October have a plate and six screws. I still have pain. I still ride and run a landscaping business. So I do a lot of physical labor with my hand shoveling gravel and Mulch and things like that. Thinking about getting the hardware removed has anyone had their Hardware removed and their wrist improve?
snape99
11/11/2021 10:03am
Been a year since mine and it’s not giving me any dramas. Had the surgery and it back to normal. Can do all exercises in gym etc and also ride without pain
TheRookie
11/12/2021 4:40am
Did mine in July, went to Pastrana's hand doctor for surgery. Dude killed it. Surgery then had a plaster splint for 10 days, soft cast for a month with the instruction of starting some light movement, cleared up after 6 weeks total. Still working on some strength and ROM but feels pretty good. One thing a doctor told me a while back was "Motion is Lotion" and I live by that now.
rossi46
11/12/2021 5:27am
I ended up snapping a tendon in my thumb due to it rubbing on the plates. Had surgery to repair the tendon and they took out the plates and screws while they were there. Took months for the tendon to heal but now… wow. Never felt better. Full rom. No loan.
406 twindad
11/12/2021 7:29am
I've been rehabbing a sl ligament tear for about 13 months now and the physical therapist says I have a condition called wartenbergs syndrome. It's when your radial nerve gets trapped in scar tissue. It definitely causes alot of tingling, numbness, and pain. You don't really lose strength in the hand but it does make using it very difficult. Maybe that's what you're going through

Post a reply to: anyone have a distal radial fracture?

The Latest