aluminum tanks are allowed now?

Glen
Edited Date/Time 2/3/2014 8:34pm
I've seen plenty of pictures of bikes with aluminum tanks. I am an old-timer, so I remember when the tanks were part of the production rule, so fancy tanks were illegal. I seem to remember when Kawasaki had to modify their production tanks at one point because they were too small. But, I've been out of the sport from about 2002-2010, so please be gentle
|
Glen
2/2/2014 10:45pm
ok, that makes sense. since I think most (if not all) of the pics I've seen of those tanks are RMZs. thanks for the info!
Boarddesign
Fantasy
2069th
2/2/2014 11:14pm
Honda was running the Ti tanks too.. Outdoor only maybe?
ando
2/3/2014 2:10am
Could be wrong but I think you'll find different tanks are allowed as long as the fuel capacity is no different to the original.

The Shop

mx317
2/3/2014 3:46am
Fuel Tanks
a. A replacement fuel tank, including those constructed of carbon fiber, may be utilized in place of the OEM approved fuel tank
, provided:
i. The replacement fuel tank must be mounted utilizing the OEM stock mounting locations; and
ii. The fuel capacity of the replacement fuel tank can be no less than the original OEM approved fuel tank.
b. Fuel tank filler devices may be mounted or replaced with aftermarket units
Big Lenny
2/3/2014 6:01am
Didn't Langston have a modified fuel tank on his Yamaha when he rode for them?...
toolie
2/3/2014 11:17am
mx317 wrote:
Fuel Tanks a. A replacement fuel tank, including those constructed of carbon fiber, may be utilized in place of the OEM approved fuel tank , provided...
Fuel Tanks
a. A replacement fuel tank, including those constructed of carbon fiber, may be utilized in place of the OEM approved fuel tank
, provided:
i. The replacement fuel tank must be mounted utilizing the OEM stock mounting locations; and
ii. The fuel capacity of the replacement fuel tank can be no less than the original OEM approved fuel tank.
b. Fuel tank filler devices may be mounted or replaced with aftermarket units
SX
1.9 Fuel Tanks
a.Replacement tanks may be utilized in place of originals provided their weight and capacity are no less than the approved production tanks they replace. Carbon fiber or carbon composite fuel tanks are not permitted.

There are a lot of carbon fiber covers that look pretty good but are not complete tanks.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/3/2014 11:30am
They still do. SX, too.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/3/2014 11:31am
toolie wrote:
SX 1.9 Fuel Tanks a.Replacement tanks may be utilized in place of originals provided their weight and capacity are no less than the approved production tanks...
SX
1.9 Fuel Tanks
a.Replacement tanks may be utilized in place of originals provided their weight and capacity are no less than the approved production tanks they replace. Carbon fiber or carbon composite fuel tanks are not permitted.

There are a lot of carbon fiber covers that look pretty good but are not complete tanks.
Listen to this guy. ^^
philG
2/3/2014 11:38am
We had some carbon tanks for our Aprilia's ... looked nice , but you dont want to be replacing them.

I think they are legal in GP's though
ctaco188
2/3/2014 11:40am
That Toolie, Doesn't know what he is talking about, He is just taking a guess. Hey Toolie when are you going to sell me the DRZ?

Cory Tocco
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
2/3/2014 12:56pm
toolie wrote:
SX 1.9 Fuel Tanks a.Replacement tanks may be utilized in place of originals provided their weight and capacity are no less than the approved production tanks...
SX
1.9 Fuel Tanks

Whats the purpose of the carbon fiber covers? Is it a heat dispersant thing or purely for looks?
philG
2/3/2014 1:04pm
toolie wrote:
SX
1.9 Fuel Tanks

haydos25 wrote:
Whats the purpose of the carbon fiber covers? Is it a heat dispersant thing or purely for looks?
people think bolting carbon stuff on makes the bike lighter somehow.....
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
2/3/2014 1:15pm
philG wrote:
If its a simple carbon fiber product used to replace an alloy or steel part then maybe it does. But if these pro or factory teams are using carbon wrap i have to think it is serving a purpose other then to look trick. But i was wrong once before so anything's possible i guess Cool
philG
2/3/2014 1:22pm
philG wrote:
haydos25 wrote:
If its a simple carbon fiber product used to replace an alloy or steel part then maybe it does. But if these pro or factory teams...
If its a simple carbon fiber product used to replace an alloy or steel part then maybe it does. But if these pro or factory teams are using carbon wrap i have to think it is serving a purpose other then to look trick. But i was wrong once before so anything's possible i guess Cool
to be fair , some of it is protection , but i know the factory GP teams run full carbon airbox/subframe combos , but i dont think they are AMA legal ... trick as , but dont crash well.

There are very few practical uses for carbon on MX bikes, save for changing stuff for the sake of it.
mx317
2/3/2014 1:40pm
toolie wrote:
SX
1.9 Fuel Tanks

GuyB wrote:
Listen to this guy. ^^
The OP didn't specify MX or SX. I posted a copy and paste from the pro motocross rulebook.
toolie
2/3/2014 7:45pm
ctaco188 wrote:
That Toolie, Doesn't know what he is talking about, He is just taking a guess. Hey Toolie when are you going to sell me the DRZ...
That Toolie, Doesn't know what he is talking about, He is just taking a guess. Hey Toolie when are you going to sell me the DRZ?

Cory Tocco
LOL you dont have enough money.
ocscottie
2/3/2014 8:03pm
GuyB wrote:
They still do. SX, too.
They are also so damn sexy! Whistling

mx317
2/3/2014 8:31pm

This is from Canard's outdoor bike from a year or so ago. It is equally sexy as the Ti. It is described as a larger capacity carbon fiber tank in the article.
ocscottie
2/3/2014 8:34pm
Yea it is! and i believe that CF is ok for outdoors (the rule you posted) and toolie posted the SX rule.

Post a reply to: aluminum tanks are allowed now?

The Latest