a question for parents...

Huckster
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 3:49pm
with kids that ride/race. How did you react when it came to the point that your kids were going fast enough to make you nervous? That moment has arrived for me and I am not sure how I feel about it. I love this sport and want my kids to enjoy it, but I can't shake that feeling of them getting hurt. I never thought this moment would come so quickly.
|
TKF Racing
6/18/2010 6:49pm
say a prayer before each moto
tell him/her you love them,to be careful, and to have fun when you're standing at the gate with them
thank God when they come across the line
kopfjaeger
6/18/2010 6:51pm
TKF Racing wrote:
say a prayer before each moto tell him/her you love them,to be careful, and to have fun when you're standing at the gate with them thank...
tell him/her you love them,to be careful, and to have fun when you're standing at the gate with them
pretty much sums it up
motomom4
6/18/2010 7:00pm
TKF Racing wrote:
say a prayer before each moto tell him/her you love them,to be careful, and to have fun when you're standing at the gate with them thank...
kopfjaeger wrote:
pretty much sums it up
Definitely!
Trip
6/18/2010 7:14pm
Rather than rely on god to just take care of everything, edgeumecate them!

They will fall, they will get hurt whether god is looking out for them or not. Make sure all protective gear is worn properly. Most important, teach them track etiquette.

The Shop

UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
6/18/2010 7:25pm
You deal with it, because trust me, it never goes away or gets easier.

Now I know how my mom felt.

mxaaron
6/18/2010 8:23pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:28pm
Both of my sons ride, one is 6, the other is 9. I've put my oldest boy into MX classes with a local pro that teaches, and it has helped him immensely. My goal is not to make him faster, but to learn proper technique, which brings with it proper body position and I feel better safety. I fully intend to put my younger son in the same classes now that he is starting to progress with his riding. I also equip them both with everything that I can safety wise. Finally, when we race, I always say "have a good time." I see people I know (and some I don't) putting so much pressure on their kids. Then the kid goes out, rides over their head, and usually ends up falling short of their pit-parents expectations. They always seem to either end up getting hurt, or coming off the track crying.

As for the butterflies in your stomach, well I don't think you can get away from those. I find myself gritting my teeth, cringing, and pacing back and forth. But I guess after 25 years of riding myself,(still going strong today) we just have to have a little faith too.

Good luck out there.
holeshot100
6/18/2010 8:56pm
mxaaron wrote:
Both of my sons ride, one is 6, the other is 9. I've put my oldest boy into MX classes with a local pro that teaches...
Both of my sons ride, one is 6, the other is 9. I've put my oldest boy into MX classes with a local pro that teaches, and it has helped him immensely. My goal is not to make him faster, but to learn proper technique, which brings with it proper body position and I feel better safety. I fully intend to put my younger son in the same classes now that he is starting to progress with his riding. I also equip them both with everything that I can safety wise. Finally, when we race, I always say "have a good time." I see people I know (and some I don't) putting so much pressure on their kids. Then the kid goes out, rides over their head, and usually ends up falling short of their pit-parents expectations. They always seem to either end up getting hurt, or coming off the track crying.

As for the butterflies in your stomach, well I don't think you can get away from those. I find myself gritting my teeth, cringing, and pacing back and forth. But I guess after 25 years of riding myself,(still going strong today) we just have to have a little faith too.

Good luck out there.
Great advice! New parents pay attention to this post.

Here are some other great posts.

They will fall, they will get hurt whether god is looking out for them or not. Make sure all protective gear is worn properly. Most important, teach them track etiquette.

THE TRACK EIDIQUETTE POINT IS AN EXTREMELY STRONG POINT TO TEACH ANY NEW RIDER-{KIDS ARE ACTUALLY SMARTER THAN ADULTS}.
ANY TIPS{RULES} ON TRACK EDIQUETTE WOULD BE A GOOD POST.

You deal with it, because trust me, it never goes away or gets easier.

AMEN TO THAT: MY WORST EXPERIENCE IN OVER 15 YEARS OF RACING WITH MY KIDS HAPPENED A COUPLE WEEKS AGO. IF A FAMILY LIVES THROUGH RAISING A PRO RACER AND STILL IS TOGETHER, YOU HAVE BEATEN SOME PRETTY HIGH ODDS. THE REWARD OF THESE STRONG FAMILY RELATIONSHIPS FAR OUTWEIGH ANY RESULTS AFTERWARD..FAMILY IS MOTOCROSS AND MOTOCROSS IS FAMILY-VERY TRUE STATEMENT WHOEVER SAID IT.
sc961
6/18/2010 9:12pm
Great advice in this one.

I have 3 kids that race. 30, 19, and 16. The youngest is a girl. Those butterfiles never go away.

Most of my best friends come from our great sport. I can only hope my kids have these experiences as well, and less injuries......
CamP
6/18/2010 9:32pm
I hate to say it, but if I had a son, he would never race motocross. As much as I love racing, the risk/reward ratio is all messed up today.
olddude
6/18/2010 9:44pm
It well/will always be nerve racking. Stress smooth, safe and in control the speed just follows. Be a gracious winner as well.

Kids are tough and they heal fast.

Only thing that bothers me is the mini parent that freaks out when their kid crashes. Trust in the track personal, but be there for your kid. Remaining calm is key here. I hate to say it it but it is not a matter of IF but WHEN and how bad.

Have fun, make friends.
DL
6/19/2010 1:01am
Welcome to the club!
crf250pilot
6/19/2010 1:11am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2010 1:12am
Trip wrote:
Rather than rely on god to just take care of everything, edgeumecate them! They will fall, they will get hurt whether god is looking out for...

And for godsake don't send them out to practice on the track with the big bikes if they are on minis.
worcsracer808
6/19/2010 2:34am
Trip wrote:
Rather than rely on god to just take care of everything, edgeumecate them! They will fall, they will get hurt whether god is looking out for...

And for godsake don't send them out to practice on the track with the big bikes if they are on minis.
X2 unless they are blowin by half the adults and clearin more jumps than most of the old guys then it's all good lol
Huckster
6/19/2010 3:28am
Thanks for the advice. My son is 7 and my daughter is 5. He just got on a 65 and she is riding his ktm 50jr. I have been stressing the importance of being in control and riding safe. They pretty much ask me if they can ride every night and its on my private track. I have no expectations and just want them to enjoy the sport. They have all the gear with the exception of neck braces and i am going to get them. Not to start a debate, but is there one out there that is better for young kids? I wear a Leatt myself.
IceMan446
6/19/2010 3:30am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2010 3:34am
Make sure you have given them every protective device that works and that they wear it correctly and wear it every time they ride. It won't stop injuries but you might sleep better at night knowing you sent them on the track prepped and ready. My dad always said I trust you on the bike but you have to be able to trust in the bike. So nothing was left unchecked and everything was replaced when needed and the bike was kept fresh for every race. I never had a mechanical, ever, and that's a big part in racing IMO and helping you concentrate just on the race and not your bike. He hated the first turn because he said I know your abilities on the bike but that's once place where abilities don't matter, any one can go down ther so he never watched until the bikes came by the first turn. And like most have been saying he said go out and have fun.
crf250pilot
6/19/2010 3:37am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:28pm
Huckster wrote:
Thanks for the advice. My son is 7 and my daughter is 5. He just got on a 65 and she is riding his ktm 50jr...
Thanks for the advice. My son is 7 and my daughter is 5. He just got on a 65 and she is riding his ktm 50jr. I have been stressing the importance of being in control and riding safe. They pretty much ask me if they can ride every night and its on my private track. I have no expectations and just want them to enjoy the sport. They have all the gear with the exception of neck braces and i am going to get them. Not to start a debate, but is there one out there that is better for young kids? I wear a Leatt myself.
Honestly at their size I think they would be good with just one of those neck rolls. I got one from Alpinestars for my daughter and it fills the gap between her neck and helmet and makes for a nice cushion. Just my opinion

Ashleymx
6/19/2010 4:59am
I don't have any kids yet but Ive always dreamed of the day I could ride with them. Trail riding or bush bashing have always looked too dangerous to me and I always thought racing was the safe answer but recently Ive just become very confused. Bad things seem to keep happening nowadays in this sport?

I was watching home video of me racing 80s 20 years ago the other day and it looked so innocent and safe back then, Things sure have changed. Another negative for me is land costs. I was lucky enough to grow up on some land. Nowadays land is just too expensive so I highly doubt my kids will grow up like I did riding 50s after school everyday. Thats how I learnt to ride in a safe environment. Its sad. What can you do though? Theres danger all over the place and they still need to live life to its fullest.
SteveS
6/19/2010 5:32am
The nervousness never goes totally away. But I will say there came a point when Matt actually did get fast that I was able to relax more when he was riding. I don't know how to describe it, but you can see in their riding when they really get it and have mastery over what they and the bike are doing. You stop catching your breath every time they approach a jump or difficult section. They give you confidence in the way they approach the track and the bike. It's not that they still can't get hurt, but you don't have the sketchiness with everything that you did before.

You can tell when that happens because they can be on the track on a practice day and you can walk over to the concession stand or bathroom and not have to keep your eye on him the whole time.
6/19/2010 6:48am
Don Jones said when Gary and Dewayne raced he stood at trackside and yelled for them to go faster, when his grandkids started racing he stood at the side of the track and yelled for them to slow down lol
WideOpen
6/19/2010 7:33am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:28pm
Huckster wrote:
with kids that ride/race. How did you react when it came to the point that your kids were going fast enough to make you nervous? That...
with kids that ride/race. How did you react when it came to the point that your kids were going fast enough to make you nervous? That moment has arrived for me and I am not sure how I feel about it. I love this sport and want my kids to enjoy it, but I can't shake that feeling of them getting hurt. I never thought this moment would come so quickly.
You just have to let them ride the way they know how to. The one thing you can't stop at a young age is progression in this sport.

Unfortunately, getting hurt is part of the sport . Broken bones and bruises are not a if but a when. Thats just the way it is.

Just have fun and enjoy.
hartebreak
Fantasy
247th
6/19/2010 8:52am
CamP wrote:
I hate to say it, but if I had a son, he would never race motocross. As much as I love racing, the risk/reward ratio is...
I hate to say it, but if I had a son, he would never race motocross. As much as I love racing, the risk/reward ratio is all messed up today.
wow, has it really come to the point where its all about trophies and prize money? What ever happened to riding/racing for the fun factor?
TKF Racing
6/19/2010 8:10pm
I agree with all of these for making him a better racer which will in turn hopefully keep him safe. I had my son take a class and the difference in the race before the class and the one after the class was like night and day. Now his confidence is even higher and as Steve S says, sometimes I think they are actually a little safer when they go faster (they don't tip a much, and less casing of some of the trickier jumps).

As I said all this makes him a better racer and hopefully safer,which helps me feel better, but also asking for a little Divine Intervention can't hurt Smile
Rupert X
6/19/2010 8:17pm

I remember talking to Jeannie Carmichael at Loretta's one year about this - my kids

were on 50's - RC was on 80's or 125's - anyway. she said something to the effect

of that - no matter how old they are, you stop breathing as they enter the section

of the track that disappears from view - and you return to breathing and gazing

as they return to your eyesight. You never quit worrying about your kids.
Dadof3
6/20/2010 6:53am
It's not if they'll get hurt, it's when they'll get hurt.

The last thing I tell my son on the line is have fun, don't ride over your head, love you.

I can't think of any time in the 7-8 yrs of mine racing where he has ridden beyond his abilities (ridden over his head). If that means taking 5th instead of 2nd or 3rd so be it.

You want them to go faster but you want them to slow down. He's had one broken bone in his time racing and that was a fluke foot dab deal. Didn't even wreck. I told him the next broken bone I better get my moneys worth and at least see a good crash!
Dirt_Dawg
Fantasy
2768th
6/20/2010 6:59am
Too much praying and worrying in this sport, try little league baseball dude.
Dirt_Dawg
Fantasy
2768th
6/20/2010 6:59am
Dadof3
6/20/2010 7:06am
Dirt_Dawg wrote:
I have twin daughters, also. They play fastpitch softball and one is a pitcher. I probably have more gray hairs from watching her pitch than watching my son ride.
Dirt_Dawg
Fantasy
2768th
6/20/2010 7:17am
Dirt_Dawg wrote:
Dadof3 wrote:
I have twin daughters, also. They play fastpitch softball and one is a pitcher. I probably have more gray hairs from watching her pitch than watching...
I have twin daughters, also. They play fastpitch softball and one is a pitcher. I probably have more gray hairs from watching her pitch than watching my son ride.
why?
Huckster
6/20/2010 7:54am
Dirt_Dawg wrote:
already do that dude but thanks for the advice. He plays travel hockey and football as well. Neither of which make me the least bit nervous. I could care less about plastic trophys and it is totally about having fun. I just never expected him to be going this fast so soon. He was scared to ride his 50 jr last year and now he wants to know if he is clearing the tables on our track on his 65.
Jakes Dad
6/20/2010 4:50pm Edited Date/Time 6/20/2010 6:04pm
The day my son says he doesn't want to do it anymore is fine by me. I'm sure we'll find something else we can do together.

Post a reply to: a question for parents...

The Latest