Zach Osborne to race GNCC this weekend

woodsgoon
7/8/2020 5:20pm
sheesh... tough crowd
kpiper wrote:
Chad would never even finish a race that long in the woods! Way back when Doug Henry rode the one near Daytona. He won but about...
Chad would never even finish a race that long in the woods!

Way back when Doug Henry rode the one near Daytona. He won but about died afterward. He had to leave the podium ceremony to go throw up.

I would love to see Chad try it though.

But you need much greater endurance than even for a pro national for a GNCC. And Chad is not even close right now to that.
bh wrote:
I listened to a pod not to long ago and with Strang and he said there training is identical to a moto guy’s training routine. And...
I listened to a pod not to long ago and with Strang and he said there training is identical to a moto guy’s training routine. And I’ve hear KR say the same thing in interviews. And I believe most of these guys don’t even ride the woods that often, they just moto down like everyone else.
Can confirm. A close friend of mine is a top xc3 guy and he actually spends very little time in the woods now to train. He mostly does long motos at an mx track or on grass track/turn track. Very rarely does he go ride single track since he quit doing National enduros. GNCC is basically one long ass moto without the jumps.
kpiper
7/8/2020 5:27pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2020 5:28pm
woodsgoon wrote:
Can confirm. A close friend of mine is a top xc3 guy and he actually spends very little time in the woods now to train. He...
Can confirm. A close friend of mine is a top xc3 guy and he actually spends very little time in the woods now to train. He mostly does long motos at an mx track or on grass track/turn track. Very rarely does he go ride single track since he quit doing National enduros. GNCC is basically one long ass moto without the jumps.
You have to know how to ride fast through the trees or you will be smoked.

That is why unless he has done it, even someone like Tomac could not even stay close to Kailub Russell. Beast mode won't work in the tight woods.
LungButter
7/8/2020 5:44pm
kpiper wrote:
You have to know how to ride fast through the trees or you will be smoked. That is why unless he has done it, even someone...

That is why unless he has done it, even someone like Tomac could not even stay close to Kailub Russell. Beast mode won't work in the tight woods.
True. But the top dogs at GNCC have been racing in the woods their whole life, they don't need much more practice dodging trees. Most would probably say that at the speed they are going through the trees, it's probably safer practicing moto actually.

One thing I notice watching Kailub Russell helmet cam is how good his line selection is, he is an absolute artist at linking lines to make the track as straight as possible. This can probably partially be credited to being on the GNCC circuit since he could walk I suppose.
agn5009
7/8/2020 5:44pm
woodsgoon wrote:
Can confirm. A close friend of mine is a top xc3 guy and he actually spends very little time in the woods now to train. He...
kpiper wrote:
You have to know how to ride fast through the trees or you will be smoked. That is why unless he has done it, even someone...

Tomac grew up racing harescrambles and was very good at it. I could be wrong but I believe he was a XC2 pro class champ in the national harescramble series (or something similar?) I'm not saying he would show up and beat KR but honestly if anyone could do it, it would be either Tomac or Plessinger.

The Shop

mtndoc_842
Fantasy
297th
7/8/2020 5:57pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2020 5:58pm
agn5009 wrote:
Tomac grew up racing harescrambles and was very good at it. I could be wrong but I believe he was a XC2 pro class champ in...
Tomac grew up racing harescrambles and was very good at it. I could be wrong but I believe he was a XC2 pro class champ in the national harescramble series (or something similar?) I'm not saying he would show up and beat KR but honestly if anyone could do it, it would be either Tomac or Plessinger.
I think Tomac made a few WORCS podiums but I’m not aware of him running a full series as a pro
woodsgoon
7/8/2020 6:03pm
woodsgoon wrote:
kpiper wrote:

personally id have to disagree. There is nothing tight about a GNCC, and tomacs fitness is as good as anyones out there. I would have no problem believing he could do just as good as osborne in a GNCC. Just my opinion. Dude trains at like 6k feet and is a top tier athlete. If osborne can show up for 2 gnccs and get podiums and top 10s from 2nd row overall i see no reason why tomac couldnt. I cant even figure out how you justify saying that honestly.
kpiper
7/8/2020 7:10pm
woodsgoon wrote:
kpiper wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
Tomac grew up racing harescrambles and was very good at it. I could be wrong but I believe he was a XC2 pro class champ in...
I did say, "unless he has done it".

It sure would be fun to see him try.
kpiper
7/8/2020 7:14pm
agn5009 wrote:
mtndoc_842 wrote:
I think Tomac made a few WORCS podiums but I’m not aware of him running a full series as a pro
I have done WORCS and GNCC. Big difference.

That explains how Kurt Caselli didn't do that great back east and Kailub Russell not so great out west.
kpiper
7/8/2020 7:19pm
woodsgoon wrote:
kpiper wrote:

woodsgoon wrote:
personally id have to disagree. There is nothing tight about a GNCC, and tomacs fitness is as good as anyones out there. I would have no...
personally id have to disagree. There is nothing tight about a GNCC, and tomacs fitness is as good as anyones out there. I would have no problem believing he could do just as good as osborne in a GNCC. Just my opinion. Dude trains at like 6k feet and is a top tier athlete. If osborne can show up for 2 gnccs and get podiums and top 10s from 2nd row overall i see no reason why tomac couldnt. I cant even figure out how you justify saying that honestly.
Simply because Tomac does not do that type of racing. If he did he would do well I am sure.

Zacko can 'show up' and do well because he has ridden a lot of off-road and loves it. He was even on our ISDE team.

Do you think JA21 could go do the GNCC with Zach and keep him in sight for more than two minutes in the trees? I don't.

Kailub Russell, in the woods, is the same level as Tomac in SX.
resetjet
7/8/2020 7:24pm
Anyone wanna bet kr finishes ahead of zo? Now it this was on an mx track the bet would be the other way around.
kpiper
7/8/2020 8:07pm
resetjet wrote:
Anyone wanna bet kr finishes ahead of zo? Now it this was on an mx track the bet would be the other way around.
Zack has a chance to prove something. But he probably will get smoked by KR.

Will be fun to see!
woodsgoon
7/9/2020 5:21am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2020 5:50am
kpiper wrote:

woodsgoon wrote:
personally id have to disagree. There is nothing tight about a GNCC, and tomacs fitness is as good as anyones out there. I would have no...
kpiper wrote:
Simply because Tomac does not do that type of racing. If he did he would do well I am sure. Zacko can 'show up' and do...
Simply because Tomac does not do that type of racing. If he did he would do well I am sure.

Zacko can 'show up' and do well because he has ridden a lot of off-road and loves it. He was even on our ISDE team.

Do you think JA21 could go do the GNCC with Zach and keep him in sight for more than two minutes in the trees? I don't.

Kailub Russell, in the woods, is the same level as Tomac in SX.
I have absolutely no problem believing JA21 could keep Zach in his sights for 2 laps let alone 2 minutes. Yall say "in the trees" like GNCCs are tight. They arent. They are rough 4-wheeler wide or wider trails that happen to go through the woods half the time and the other half is WFO grass track. Bike skills are bike skills. These guys wouldnt even notice the trees, they would be too busy making sure they are hitting a 6 inch wide rut just like they do in MX. Their bike control goes sooo far beyond just going fast on an MX track. Kailub has done well crossing over to mx because they train alot the same. Ive seen several locals that show up to lorettas in 250a, 25+ and 30+ and do very well, then go home and show up to woods races and destroy the AA/expert classes. Another close friend of mine refused to ride woods his entire life, Qualified 250a and 25+ at lorettas in 2018. I finally talked him into woods racing to cross train at 28 years old to help his fitness in 2019 since there is 10X the woods races there is MX races. He shows up, MX suspension, built race motor, no handguards and smokes the open A class for the first hour and fell to 3rd the last hour simply because his fitness was shit. (which is why he was there anyway) 28, never even rode in the woods and smokes the open A class in an actually tight single track race (this series only does bikes) off the couch with barely enough fitness to run a mile. Im sorry but i have no problem believing tomac could show up this weekend and do just as good as osborne could. Am i saying he could be KR? Absolutely not. But i dont think osborne can either. To me youre saying an elite level 5k runner couldnt go compete at a cross country even simply because there is tress. It just doesnt make sense.
EDIT: We should clarify what we mean by "do well" or "get smoked" When i say "do well" I have no problem believing he (tomac) would run up front for the first couple laps with someone like KR and would end up finishing within the top 5 for sure with a podium not out of the question. What do you mean by "get smoked"?
resetjet
7/9/2020 5:58am
Alot of it is about reading terrain and staying out of trouble. There is 100 times as many hazards. It takes alot of practice to go fast on any track. Mx or woods.
Dixon893
7/9/2020 7:40am
Add in the couple hundred of lap riders and anything can happen. I say top 15 if he doesn't DNF, best of luck to the man. Nice to see GNCC getting more press on social media, overall helps the local Harescramble promotions, plant the seed and watch it grow.
Stuntman949
7/9/2020 7:47am
resetjet wrote:
Seems like a very safe bet with a small payout lol
stremme12
Fantasy
3693rd
7/9/2020 8:59am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2020 9:00am
sheesh... tough crowd
kpiper wrote:
Chad would never even finish a race that long in the woods! Way back when Doug Henry rode the one near Daytona. He won but about...

Way back when Doug Henry rode the one near Daytona. He won but about died afterward. He had to leave the podium ceremony to go throw up.

But you need much greater endurance than even for a pro national for a GNCC. And Chad is not even close right now to that.
agn5009 wrote:
Lol what? I've done tons of GNCCs. Reed is a world class athlete. His endurance would be perfectly fine. Do you think the 400 something average...
Lol what? I've done tons of GNCCs. Reed is a world class athlete. His endurance would be perfectly fine. Do you think the 400 something average Joe's that sign up for a GNCC every round is in better shape than Chad Reed? The guys job is literally to ride a dirt bike and train. Maybe if you rephrase it and say he couldn't run the speeds of the top dogs for 3+ hours I'll get on board with you. But you're insane if you think he doesn't have the endurance to do a race and finish it.
Honest question here.

Is your ton of GNCC experience as an average Joe or actually Pro level like Reed would be?

Just curious how to take your opinion on the matter is all.
agn5009
7/9/2020 9:07am
kpiper wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
Lol what? I've done tons of GNCCs. Reed is a world class athlete. His endurance would be perfectly fine. Do you think the 400 something average...
Lol what? I've done tons of GNCCs. Reed is a world class athlete. His endurance would be perfectly fine. Do you think the 400 something average Joe's that sign up for a GNCC every round is in better shape than Chad Reed? The guys job is literally to ride a dirt bike and train. Maybe if you rephrase it and say he couldn't run the speeds of the top dogs for 3+ hours I'll get on board with you. But you're insane if you think he doesn't have the endurance to do a race and finish it.
stremme12 wrote:
Honest question here. Is your ton of GNCC experience as an average Joe or actually Pro level like Reed would be? Just curious how to take...
Honest question here.

Is your ton of GNCC experience as an average Joe or actually Pro level like Reed would be?

Pro class at local/state level and A class at the GNCCs. I've finished inside the top 20 O/A at a few GNCCs. I ain't what I was 10 years ago but I can still do some damage in the Vet A class at any offroad race.

Would Reed win? No, but I would be willing to bet he finishes top 20 O/A. We're talking about the GNCC series, not a hard enduro or even a tight single track type HS race. Reed would be really fast in fields, wide open whooped out ATV trails etc. He would lose time in the tighter stuff and rocky/rooty sections.
stremme12
Fantasy
3693rd
7/9/2020 9:09am
agn5009 wrote:
stremme12 wrote:
Honest question here. Is your ton of GNCC experience as an average Joe or actually Pro level like Reed would be? Just curious how to take...
Honest question here.

agn5009 wrote:
Pro class at local/state level and A class at the GNCCs. I've finished inside the top 20 O/A at a few GNCCs. I ain't what I...
Pro class at local/state level and A class at the GNCCs. I've finished inside the top 20 O/A at a few GNCCs. I ain't what I was 10 years ago but I can still do some damage in the Vet A class at any offroad race.

Would Reed win? No, but I would be willing to bet he finishes top 20 O/A. We're talking about the GNCC series, not a hard enduro or even a tight single track type HS race. Reed would be really fast in fields, wide open whooped out ATV trails etc. He would lose time in the tighter stuff and rocky/rooty sections.
I have no opinion on Reed. I've never raced a GNCC. I have no doubt he would finish though but I would question his endurance compared to others in that class.
kpiper
7/9/2020 9:15am
stremme12 wrote:
I have no opinion on Reed. I've never raced a GNCC. I have no doubt he would finish though but I would question his endurance compared...
I have no opinion on Reed. I've never raced a GNCC. I have no doubt he would finish though but I would question his endurance compared to others in that class.
Chad is fat Wink

Yes, if he trained he could do well...but he is not ready for a race like that in my opinion. Zacko is.

That's all.
LungButter
7/9/2020 11:48am
Dixon893 wrote:
Add in the couple hundred of lap riders and anything can happen. I say top 15 if he doesn't DNF, best of luck to the man...
Add in the couple hundred of lap riders and anything can happen. I say top 15 if he doesn't DNF, best of luck to the man. Nice to see GNCC getting more press on social media, overall helps the local Harescramble promotions, plant the seed and watch it grow.
Nah, GNCC field isn't that deep this year to push him out of the top 10 in my opinion.

Outside of Russell and Strang I wouldn't be surprised to see Zach beat anyone in the field. His fitness is on point and he has PLENTY of off road experience including previous GNCC success.

I say 3-6 overall.
Log Hopper
Fantasy
1586th
7/9/2020 1:22pm
ebers wrote:
Most angry bike I’ve ever heard was at the Unadilla GNCC a few years back, on the last lap I was flying up this rocky hill...
Most angry bike I’ve ever heard was at the Unadilla GNCC a few years back, on the last lap I was flying up this rocky hill climb - as I’m half way up I hear this 4stroke pinned to the moon as if the throttle was stuck and no exhaust, but it sounded off to the left of me and not on the trail... I didn’t know what was happening as it didn’t make sense, I looked to my left and there’s this red Geico Honda about 15’ off the trail making his own trail and launched at the top into a grass track section.... it was Zacko. He was pinned. I’ve never heard a more angry sounding bike in my life.

Go get ‘em Zacko!
I wonder if that's what Savatgy heard on the last lap in Las Vegas?
fins227
7/9/2020 2:14pm
Dixon893 wrote:
Add in the couple hundred of lap riders and anything can happen. I say top 15 if he doesn't DNF, best of luck to the man...
LungButter wrote:
Nah, GNCC field isn't that deep this year to push him out of the top 10 in my opinion. Outside of Russell and Strang I wouldn't...
Nah, GNCC field isn't that deep this year to push him out of the top 10 in my opinion.

Outside of Russell and Strang I wouldn't be surprised to see Zach beat anyone in the field. His fitness is on point and he has PLENTY of off road experience including previous GNCC success.

I say 3-6 overall.
Get outta here with that not that deep stuff, the top 30-40 is fast
ebers
Fantasy
174th
7/9/2020 2:42pm
I think what people don’t pay attention to is the times. 1st overall to 5th overall is typically 5 minutes at the finish. Add another 5 minutes to 10th overall (10 minutes back of 1st OA).

With that said, how far off of the leader would you put Zacko in times? I think it’s reasonable to say he stays within 5 minutes of OA leader at the end... Puts him probably around the 5th OA mark. I’d love to see him prove my prediction wrong though!

For anyone who hasn’t raced in the woods by the way, 5-10 minutes is an eternity. And those guys even 10-20 minutes back of the OA leader are no joke!
LungButter
7/9/2020 3:14pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2020 3:19pm
fins227 wrote:
Get outta here with that not that deep stuff, the top 30-40 is fast
I'm not saying they aren't. But they aren't ZachO fast. Do you expect him to get beat by Jesse Ansley? Liam Draper? Ryder Lafferty? I don't.

Thad is out. Ricky Russell is out. Stu still sitting. Bollinger is out. Ben Kelley still getting up to speed so far. Toth hasn't shown the same speed he did a couple years ago. It's not like there are 5-8 dudes out there right now that can win the overall like we've seen in years past.

I've followed GNCC for 25 years now and raced against lots of guys who were Pros and A class GNCC guys, I get it.
Tim507
7/9/2020 5:56pm
kpiper wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
kpiper wrote:
Naturally, I meant him riding at race pace of the top guys. Not cruising around. Why would he want to do that? Although, I suspect he...
Naturally, I meant him riding at race pace of the top guys. Not cruising around. Why would he want to do that? Although, I suspect he would still have trouble doing three hours even cruising.

Chad is not in great shape right now. He would admit that. Not saying he can't get back in shape but he is not a 'world-class' athlete at the moment.

Doing a 20 minute SX is nothing compared to a GNCC pro race. And yes, I have done one.

Zacho and Kailub Russell (plus others) would lap him! Come on Chad! Do it and prove me wrong! Wink
Reed has lots of moto skills that will translate. The one he "might" be missing is the mental preparation that goes with 3 hours of intense racing. That only comes with experience.....
agn5009
7/9/2020 6:34pm
agn5009 wrote:
kpiper wrote:
Naturally, I meant him riding at race pace of the top guys. Not cruising around. Why would he want to do that? Although, I suspect he...
Naturally, I meant him riding at race pace of the top guys. Not cruising around. Why would he want to do that? Although, I suspect he would still have trouble doing three hours even cruising.

Chad is not in great shape right now. He would admit that. Not saying he can't get back in shape but he is not a 'world-class' athlete at the moment.

Doing a 20 minute SX is nothing compared to a GNCC pro race. And yes, I have done one.

Zacho and Kailub Russell (plus others) would lap him! Come on Chad! Do it and prove me wrong! Wink
Tim507 wrote:
Reed has lots of moto skills that will translate. The one he "might" be missing is the mental preparation that goes with 3 hours of intense...
Reed has lots of moto skills that will translate. The one he "might" be missing is the mental preparation that goes with 3 hours of intense racing. That only comes with experience.....
Exactly. I dont think many actually believe a guy like Reed would just go out and win a GNCC. But he would do very well his first time out. This may be news to some but hes really fast on a dirt bike!
robotsfrom
7/9/2020 8:49pm
agn5009 wrote:
kpiper wrote:

Tim507 wrote:
Reed has lots of moto skills that will translate. The one he "might" be missing is the mental preparation that goes with 3 hours of intense...
The car racing he's been doing has been mostly endurance racing I believe. So he has that going for him.
NorCal1975
7/10/2020 8:15am
robotsfrom wrote:
The car racing he's been doing has been mostly endurance racing I believe. So he has that going for him.
You need to be in shape to race cars? Not from the footage I've seen....

Crossup
7/10/2020 5:55pm
hard2kill wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/07/08/436849/s1200_high_voltage_public.jpg[/img] Looks like about half the track will be run through field sections. Should make for some higher speed racing which would be to Zacks advantage...

Looks like about half the track will be run through field sections. Should make for some higher speed racing which would be to Zacks advantage, and provide better live coverage. Hope he gives it a real go and sticks it to Kailub.
Looking at the track layout I can see a spot where Zach might lose some time. Checkpoint 3! Woohoo
rohleder644
7/10/2020 6:25pm
LungButter wrote:
I'm not saying they aren't. But they aren't ZachO fast. Do you expect him to get beat by Jesse Ansley? Liam Draper? Ryder Lafferty? I don't...
I'm not saying they aren't. But they aren't ZachO fast. Do you expect him to get beat by Jesse Ansley? Liam Draper? Ryder Lafferty? I don't.

Thad is out. Ricky Russell is out. Stu still sitting. Bollinger is out. Ben Kelley still getting up to speed so far. Toth hasn't shown the same speed he did a couple years ago. It's not like there are 5-8 dudes out there right now that can win the overall like we've seen in years past.

I've followed GNCC for 25 years now and raced against lots of guys who were Pros and A class GNCC guys, I get it.
There’s lots to say in this thread. But I’ll keep it to a minimum. Toth and Kelley have an incredible future ahead of them. Period.

Post a reply to: Zach Osborne to race GNCC this weekend

The Latest