ZRT throttle tube

902moto
5/11/2020 3:43pm
This is more then just a aluminum throttle tube.

I use to practice 2/3 times a week and race on Sunday. Changing tires/filters/oil and lube the clutch and also clean throttle were among the typical weekly duties. The problem with the throttle is, it becomes gritty after X amount of time on it. I am ANAL, about how my controls are. They must be smooth and reliable.

And that’s where my throttle tube comes in. It is smooth. It is reliable. And I do not need to clean it. I do t want to think about this shit as I am riding or racing. If something is bugging me, I think about that, and not racing. Obviously that is not good.

You guys asked why we say you would never have to replace bars?
If you are a magilla gorilla then I’m sure you have ground the throttle tube into the bars so bad they are gross looking. I did a bike one time and was shocked what was under the throttle tube. It had been ground for so long it had ridges in the bars. Gross. How the F can you ride like that? You may not realize it, but you are definitely not as fast as you could be.

Everything In your bike should be as effortless as possible. If it’s not, it’s slowing you down.

Think about that for a second.
ti473
5/11/2020 4:39pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2020 4:40pm
GODZILLA wrote:
I love the sales argument: "you can keep waisting money on plastic and or aluminum, or go check it out". I can "waist" my money replacing...
I love the sales argument: "you can keep waisting money on plastic and or aluminum, or go check it out".

I can "waist" my money replacing at least 30 of these before I get even...
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-throttle-tube-p

Or 8 of these...
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-aluminum-throttle-tube-p
Ok, here's a little story about those knock off aluminium parts.

I used to be a tight wad that bought cheap stuff like Tusk, and got me a bearing type aluminum throttle tube (like the pro-taper ones) that was made by a company similar to Tusk. The problem with crap like that (other than the subpar manufacturing process itself), is that it's reverse engineered by someone that probably doesn't have a fucking clue of what they are copying or what its function is. They just copy it. As close as they can.
Case in point, in the aforementioned throttle tube they forgot a simple milling operation that would take the machine almost no time to do. You know the hole where the cable end goes on the tube cam? You are supposed to smooth out inside the slit of the cam where the cable rests. If you just drill a hole, there's going to be a sharp transition near that cable end, and guess what happens eventually? It cuts the fucking cable. And the bike cuts out.
For me it was at the landing of a fast downhill jump at Monster Mountain. Had it happened on the take off and my whole life could have been drastically changed. All for one fucking guy that couldn't copy the part right. These flying machines called dirtbikes aren't toys, and we trust them with our lives to not let us down.

I don't ride motorcycles anymore, my rides have pedals nowadays. It amazes me how some people can tollerate creaking bottom brackets, mis-adjusted derailleurs that click, squeaky chains, etc and not give a fuck. If I hear one fucking little noise I have to stop and chase it down. But it was the same story when I rode MX: Some rode the most clapped out bikes until shit failed and did not care at all, and I, among other tedious maintenance things, was cleaning my throttle tube constantly.
So no, maybe this product isn't for everyone, but I think some of us can appreciate it and will not complain about paying a premium.

The Shop

captmoto
5/11/2020 5:43pm
GODZILLA wrote:
My age is what's slowing me down.
Laughing
My gut and chicken legs are slowing me down.
Moto520
5/11/2020 8:36pm
902moto wrote:
Thanks homie! Although, judging by the thumbs down on your post, not everyone agrees 😂 haha, that’s the internet for ya.
The way i see it .....you ride. That’s all i need to know. Ill buy one soon....
Moto520
5/11/2020 8:41pm
ti473 wrote:
Ok, here's a little story about those knock off aluminium parts. I used to be a tight wad that bought cheap stuff like Tusk, and got...
Ok, here's a little story about those knock off aluminium parts.

I used to be a tight wad that bought cheap stuff like Tusk, and got me a bearing type aluminum throttle tube (like the pro-taper ones) that was made by a company similar to Tusk. The problem with crap like that (other than the subpar manufacturing process itself), is that it's reverse engineered by someone that probably doesn't have a fucking clue of what they are copying or what its function is. They just copy it. As close as they can.
Case in point, in the aforementioned throttle tube they forgot a simple milling operation that would take the machine almost no time to do. You know the hole where the cable end goes on the tube cam? You are supposed to smooth out inside the slit of the cam where the cable rests. If you just drill a hole, there's going to be a sharp transition near that cable end, and guess what happens eventually? It cuts the fucking cable. And the bike cuts out.
For me it was at the landing of a fast downhill jump at Monster Mountain. Had it happened on the take off and my whole life could have been drastically changed. All for one fucking guy that couldn't copy the part right. These flying machines called dirtbikes aren't toys, and we trust them with our lives to not let us down.

I don't ride motorcycles anymore, my rides have pedals nowadays. It amazes me how some people can tollerate creaking bottom brackets, mis-adjusted derailleurs that click, squeaky chains, etc and not give a fuck. If I hear one fucking little noise I have to stop and chase it down. But it was the same story when I rode MX: Some rode the most clapped out bikes until shit failed and did not care at all, and I, among other tedious maintenance things, was cleaning my throttle tube constantly.
So no, maybe this product isn't for everyone, but I think some of us can appreciate it and will not complain about paying a premium.
Hahahahahahaha.....i was there for that. They had to bring you back to the van with a quad towing a trailer. You looked like a total chump.

Great observation though.....
spimx
5/11/2020 8:53pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2020 9:06pm
I would like to try one, seems like a good idea. That being said they're pretty spendy I'll never pull the trigger at $179. If it...
I would like to try one, seems like a good idea. That being said they're pretty spendy I'll never pull the trigger at $179. If it was say 10 bucks more than the $70 Works Connection one I'd bite.
902moto wrote:
But, you guys will spend 5k on an e-bike or 1100 on a titanium exhaust right 😂 or even an FMF Gnarly. When I did upgrades...
But, you guys will spend 5k on an e-bike or 1100 on a titanium exhaust right 😂 or even an FMF Gnarly. When I did upgrades like the Gnarly, it was for a reason. One it changed the power curve. Two, the metal was thicker making it stronger.

The throttle is the same thing. It’s a performance upgrade.
You almost never have to clean it and it will always be silky smooth.
I challenge you to go out and feel your throttle right now. Is it like when the bike was brand new?? If not, your losing speed.
It won’t break from crashes.
You can run bark busters.
You can run the grips of your choice like Ouri.

I get it. You guys are cheap as F. And that’s cool. I’ll just keep doing my thing. Cuz it is paying the bills!
I got a zrt tube then the next day my bike fell over in the back of my truck and the tube cracked like a corn tortilla.
Hammer 663s
5/11/2020 9:06pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2020 9:09pm
Fun thread. Chaos and anger and apathy and rage. Popcorn and beer time at Vital.

I clean my throttle tube (and body!) every year during annual winter maintenance. A little brake cleaner, some fresh lightweight grease, lube the cables and the housing where the cable wire touches, clean all the pivot/touch points in the throttle body, and set the slack where I like it. Check my TPS voltage. Good for another year. Makes me feel happy to know it's right and working smooth. I do like a little resistance since I am an old slow spode.

I'll spend the $179 on a bling kit cause that's good for at least a full second a lap.

Hammer
TeamGreen
5/11/2020 9:16pm
Fun thread. Chaos and anger and apathy and rage. Popcorn and beer time at Vital. I clean my throttle tube (and body!) every year during annual...
Fun thread. Chaos and anger and apathy and rage. Popcorn and beer time at Vital.

I clean my throttle tube (and body!) every year during annual winter maintenance. A little brake cleaner, some fresh lightweight grease, lube the cables and the housing where the cable wire touches, clean all the pivot/touch points in the throttle body, and set the slack where I like it. Check my TPS voltage. Good for another year. Makes me feel happy to know it's right and working smooth. I do like a little resistance since I am an old slow spode.

I'll spend the $179 on a bling kit cause that's good for at least a full second a lap.

Hammer
This guy is way to honest.

He's obviously not a politcian.

Laughing
JM485
5/11/2020 9:18pm
JeremyK wrote:
There is a mold storage area where i worked that is full of ideas that everyone needed , funny thing is none of these jobs have...
There is a mold storage area where i worked that is full of ideas that everyone needed , funny thing is none of these jobs have ran since the customers original order . All of those jobs went through prototype testing and a tool was signed off and paid for and ultimately deemed unnecessary by the potential customers . If the majority of the target customers deem the product unnecessary then what do you really have ?
Depends on your perspective, maybe it looks like useless junk to you but to me it looks like lessons learned. Hey, maybe those designs didn’t work out, but does that mean they should just pack up and quit?

Let me ask you this, the company you work for was paid to develop the mold, correct? If nothing else, your place of business was at least in some way supported by their ambition, so would you rather they just never tried in the first place?

Not every product is going to be a success, that’s just the free market, but we sure as hell don’t need to be tearing down the people who have the ambition and vision to turn an idea into reality. Maybe this one doesn’t work out, maybe the next one doesn’t work out, but eventually if you keep at it you’re going to hit some sort of success. Alternatively, I guess everyone could just go work for someone else and put money into a 401k their entire life only to realize it’s all but worthless by the time they retire, and spend their entire working career making other people’s dreams a reality as they put their own on a shelf because they were too scared to ever go for it. It’s like the old saying goes, someone more successful than you will never be the one to tear you down. . .
JeremyK
5/12/2020 3:22am
JeremyK wrote:
There is a mold storage area where i worked that is full of ideas that everyone needed , funny thing is none of these jobs have...
There is a mold storage area where i worked that is full of ideas that everyone needed , funny thing is none of these jobs have ran since the customers original order . All of those jobs went through prototype testing and a tool was signed off and paid for and ultimately deemed unnecessary by the potential customers . If the majority of the target customers deem the product unnecessary then what do you really have ?
JM485 wrote:
Depends on your perspective, maybe it looks like useless junk to you but to me it looks like lessons learned. Hey, maybe those designs didn’t work...
Depends on your perspective, maybe it looks like useless junk to you but to me it looks like lessons learned. Hey, maybe those designs didn’t work out, but does that mean they should just pack up and quit?

Let me ask you this, the company you work for was paid to develop the mold, correct? If nothing else, your place of business was at least in some way supported by their ambition, so would you rather they just never tried in the first place?

Not every product is going to be a success, that’s just the free market, but we sure as hell don’t need to be tearing down the people who have the ambition and vision to turn an idea into reality. Maybe this one doesn’t work out, maybe the next one doesn’t work out, but eventually if you keep at it you’re going to hit some sort of success. Alternatively, I guess everyone could just go work for someone else and put money into a 401k their entire life only to realize it’s all but worthless by the time they retire, and spend their entire working career making other people’s dreams a reality as they put their own on a shelf because they were too scared to ever go for it. It’s like the old saying goes, someone more successful than you will never be the one to tear you down. . .
By all means shoot for the stars but don't get pissed off at the intended customers for not seeing the same value in the finished product.
kkawboy14
5/12/2020 3:22am
kkawboy14 wrote:
I ordered the Pro Circuit throttle tube this week for my bike I think it was $60. Had I seen this thread first I would have...
I ordered the Pro Circuit throttle tube this week for my bike I think it was $60. Had I seen this thread first I would have ordered this one because the money doesn’t really matter to me.

I have never destroyed a throttle tube in 35 years of riding but these after market ones just seem to work better/smoother and seems to have less risk of hanging up.
I hope it works out better.. my PC tube wouldn't turn when the throttle housing screws were tightened and the same week, Cole Seeley was doing...
I hope it works out better.. my PC tube wouldn't turn when the throttle housing screws were tightened and the same week, Cole Seeley was doing videos of his CR250 straight rhythm bike and had the exact same problem and couldn't make it work. The machining is way off. I talked to someone senior in the shop and not only wasn't going to help me after I showed him where the part needs to be machines thinner, this customer service genius called me a liar that other people such as Cole Seeley brought up the problem in his video. I was being nice, but accused me of trying to use their throttle tube in a cheap Chinese aftermarket housing.. even though I told him it was the original OEM housing on my RC250M build. He was an embarrassment to Mitch's company.. so at the end, I have a hunk of aluminum that I paid $65 for that is unusable and a few insults from the company to add salt to injury. I would be happy pay more for one that functions and for a company with good customer service.

I would steer clear of the PC throttle tubes.
Man that doesn’t sound good. I will be putting mine on this week. I’m waiting on bars and bar clamps to come in
902moto
5/12/2020 3:25am
I would like to try one, seems like a good idea. That being said they're pretty spendy I'll never pull the trigger at $179. If it...
I would like to try one, seems like a good idea. That being said they're pretty spendy I'll never pull the trigger at $179. If it was say 10 bucks more than the $70 Works Connection one I'd bite.
902moto wrote:
But, you guys will spend 5k on an e-bike or 1100 on a titanium exhaust right 😂 or even an FMF Gnarly. When I did upgrades...
But, you guys will spend 5k on an e-bike or 1100 on a titanium exhaust right 😂 or even an FMF Gnarly. When I did upgrades like the Gnarly, it was for a reason. One it changed the power curve. Two, the metal was thicker making it stronger.

I challenge you to go out and feel your throttle right now. Is it like when the bike was brand new?? If not, your losing speed.

I get it. You guys are cheap as F. And that’s cool. I’ll just keep doing my thing. Cuz it is paying the bills!
spimx wrote:
I got a zrt tube then the next day my bike fell over in the back of my truck and the tube cracked like a corn...
I got a zrt tube then the next day my bike fell over in the back of my truck and the tube cracked like a corn tortilla.
This I would like to see pictures off. Because the way I designed throttle, the tube on the inside rides against the bearing in the end of the handle bars. Post up some pictures please.
5/12/2020 5:08am
I'm slow for a lot of reasons and my throttle tube definitely isn't one of them
GODZILLA
5/12/2020 11:02am
You don't know for sure since you haven't tried ZRT's factory whiskey throttle kit.
Wink
kkawboy14
5/14/2020 2:35pm Edited Date/Time 5/14/2020 2:36pm
So I installed the Pro Circuit throttle tube on my 2020 Kx450 today. Renthal twin wall bars, Ride Engineering clamps and PC throttle tube, that throttle tube is flawless!
rbm33
Fantasy
1947th
5/14/2020 2:51pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
So I installed the Pro Circuit throttle tube on my 2020 Kx450 today. Renthal twin wall bars, Ride Engineering clamps and PC throttle tube, that throttle...
So I installed the Pro Circuit throttle tube on my 2020 Kx450 today. Renthal twin wall bars, Ride Engineering clamps and PC throttle tube, that throttle tube is flawless!
Lets see you install that PC tube with bark busters.

The real advantage to the ZRT tube and I'm not sure why this isn't being brought up by the owner is that as far as I know its the only throttle tube with bearings that exists where it allows the use of bark busters.

If your just riding moto and don't need bark busters then sure any aluminum throttle tube will do. But, of you have to cut the end of your throttle tube to install bark busters and every time you fall your packing dirt and sand between your tube and bars causing poor throttle action.
In one scenario of course its expensive and you don't really have to have it if you don't run bark busters, but if you need bark busters there is no other product like it at any cost and if there is and I'm just not aware of it point me in the right direction...
DE262
5/14/2020 3:10pm
Fun thread. Chaos and anger and apathy and rage. Popcorn and beer time at Vital. I clean my throttle tube (and body!) every year during annual...

Hammer
TeamGreen wrote:
This guy is way to honest.

He's obviously not a politcian.

Laughing
Hahah- Nah he's just an Oregon guy. We call it like we see it Manny Wink

This thread however... may have single handedly saved my faith in the moto industry. Maybe.
GODZILLA
5/14/2020 4:05pm
rbm33 wrote:
Lets see you install that PC tube with bark busters. The real advantage to the ZRT tube and I'm not sure why this isn't being brought...

The real advantage to the ZRT tube and I'm not sure why this isn't being brought up by the owner is that as far as I know its the only throttle tube with bearings that exists where it allows the use of bark busters.

If your just riding moto and don't need bark busters then sure any aluminum throttle tube will do. But, of you have to cut the end of your throttle tube to install bark busters and every time you fall your packing dirt and sand between your tube and bars causing poor throttle action.
In one scenario of course its expensive and you don't really have to have it if you don't run bark busters, but if you need bark busters there is no other product like it at any cost and if there is and I'm just not aware of it point me in the right direction...
Huge target.
Gonna be a hit.
Smile
kkawboy14
5/14/2020 4:13pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
So I installed the Pro Circuit throttle tube on my 2020 Kx450 today. Renthal twin wall bars, Ride Engineering clamps and PC throttle tube, that throttle...
rbm33 wrote:
Lets see you install that PC tube with bark busters. The real advantage to the ZRT tube and I'm not sure why this isn't being brought...

Ahhh that makes sense
ti473
5/14/2020 6:15pm Edited Date/Time 5/14/2020 6:24pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
How can you give a fair review if you just installed it? When they are new and clean they all feel great, even the stock ones.
And no, this is not the only bearing tube you can use with bark busters. I have a pro taper one with bark busters. But to my knowledge this is the only one with bearings on both ends. Why is this important? Because there needs to be at least two points of contact between the tube and the bars. That’s why even the ones with one bearing at the outer end use a Teflon insert on the housing end, to minimize friction. Listen, the pro taper ones I’ve used are great, but what’s better, a Teflon insert or a bearing? Even if you never crash or get dirt inside, on most tubes you will eventually get this fine aluminum dust created by the two surfaces rubbing against each other, and that alone will cause stiction. If you clean your throttle once a year and everything is great, good for you, but my guess is that you either don’t ride enough, hard enough, or just simply can’t tell the difference. And that’s ok, maybe this isn’t for you then. Just like some riders can ride the piss out of whatever bike you put them on, and some will tell the difference when you slide the forks up the clamps 2mm.
kkawboy14
5/14/2020 6:18pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
ti473 wrote:
How can you give a fair review if you just installed it? When they are new and clean they all feel great, even the stock ones...
How can you give a fair review if you just installed it? When they are new and clean they all feel great, even the stock ones.
And no, this is not the only bearing tube you can use with bark busters. I have a pro taper one with bark busters. But to my knowledge this is the only one with bearings on both ends. Why is this important? Because there needs to be at least two points of contact between the tube and the bars. That’s why even the ones with one bearing at the outer end use a Teflon insert on the housing end, to minimize friction. Listen, the pro taper ones I’ve used are great, but what’s better, a Teflon insert or a bearing? Even if you never crash or get dirt inside, on most tubes you will eventually get this fine aluminum dust created by the two surfaces rubbing against each other, and that alone will cause stiction. If you clean your throttle once a year and everything is great, good for you, but my guess is that you either don’t ride enough, hard enough, or just simply can’t tell the difference. And that’s ok, maybe this isn’t for you then. Just like some riders can ride the piss out of whatever bike you put them on, and some will tell the difference when you slide the forks up the clamps 2mm.
Somebody had said when you tightened the PC tube down it would bind. I was just stating that when tightened, it didn’t bind at all. I have had a PC throttle tube on the last 20 bikes I have owned with zero problems, if that helps.
ti473
5/14/2020 6:21pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
ti473 wrote:
How can you give a fair review if you just installed it? When they are new and clean they all feel great, even the stock ones...
kkawboy14 wrote:
Somebody had said when you tightened the PC tube down it would bind. I was just stating that when tightened, it didn’t bind at all. I...
Somebody had said when you tightened the PC tube down it would bind. I was just stating that when tightened, it didn’t bind at all. I have had a PC throttle tube on the last 20 bikes I have owned with zero problems, if that helps.
This was only on the Honda 2 strokes that it happened
kkawboy14
5/14/2020 6:36pm
ti473 wrote:
kkawboy14 wrote:
Somebody had said when you tightened the PC tube down it would bind. I was just stating that when tightened, it didn’t bind at all. I...
ti473 wrote:
This was only on the Honda 2 strokes that it happened
Oh sorry!
902moto
5/14/2020 6:47pm
902moto wrote:

spimx wrote:
I got a zrt tube then the next day my bike fell over in the back of my truck and the tube cracked like a corn...
902moto wrote:
This I would like to see pictures off. Because the way I designed throttle, the tube on the inside rides against the bearing in the end...
This I would like to see pictures off. Because the way I designed throttle, the tube on the inside rides against the bearing in the end of the handle bars. Post up some pictures please.
No pics for us I guess. 🤷🏻‍♂️
snackfedbear
5/14/2020 6:53pm
Does this throttle tube eliminate the play in your bars between tube and bar? If so I might be interested.

Can’t stand the little bit of play in between my billet tube and bars
902moto
5/14/2020 6:57pm
Does this throttle tube eliminate the play in your bars between tube and bar? If so I might be interested. Can’t stand the little bit of...
Does this throttle tube eliminate the play in your bars between tube and bar? If so I might be interested.

Can’t stand the little bit of play in between my billet tube and bars
Yes. It does.

Precision throttle response and feeling.
snackfedbear
5/14/2020 7:35pm Edited Date/Time 5/14/2020 11:34pm
902moto wrote:
Yes. It does.

Precision throttle response and feeling.
Is there an option for a larger cam for quicker throttle opening? That would make the product worth it IMO

Post a reply to: ZRT throttle tube

The Latest