You're the first on the scene of an amateur racing accident what do you do?

Chopin
Edited Date/Time 7/28/2020 8:26am
Here's what happened; I see a kid go down on the far side of the track at our local race series, it's one of the last motos of the night and there aren't any other adults close by. He's off of is 85 and isn't moving. I wait a couple of seconds to see if he moves and he doesn't, then another second to see if anyone is running out there, and they aren't. The flagger is out there waving to get some attention but nobody is responding.

As the closest adult, I run over. When I get there the kid is pretzeled in a jarring and unexpected way. I check in with him and ask the basics. Move your feet, move your hands, move your neck. The kid is crying and says he can't move his leg. Uh oh. The kid is still pretzeled and I'm afraid to move him.
I signal to the other flagger that the paramedics are needed then return to the kid. At this time his dad is on the scene, takes control, and suspects an ACL injury.

I'm a moto-dad and had been scooping up kids in the 50 class and putting them back on their bikes all night. My son included. Usually, it's no big deal. But, in this case, I realized I'm really unprepared for anything beyond a quick dust off and bike restart. I do know CPR but in the case of a potential spinal cord injury or other skeletal or ligament trauma, I'm over my head. So what's the protocol? That kid could have easily been my own and beyond a vitals check, I'm not sure what to do. I'm hoping that some of the elders here will have some sage advice or resources to better help one another.

|
Kelz87
Fantasy
1468th
6/20/2020 2:16am
That’s a really crappy feeling..idk myself. Actually my buddy and I went mountain biking today and I stopped within about 2-3 feet from an angry AZ rattlesnake on a mountain side. I had to pass a narrow single-track between a rattler and a rocky drop off at dusk (unintentionally).

It had me thinking how unprepared I would be for an emergency scenario as well. You just never know when an emergency can arise and each situation is always different. (Not super related, but the thought process is in the same place)
cwel11
6/20/2020 3:05am
Good thread. My son crashed bad last year at our local track on a practice day. I got to him pretty quick but he was out cold. No paramedics, as most tracks don’t on practice days. Most helpless feeling of my life as I yelled in his face for what felt like an eternity to wake up. Some other people were there but no one who really had a clue. It all ended with a concussion, lacerated spleen, and an overnight hospital stay complete with a helicopter ride. Thankful he’s okay now and still able to ride and enjoy life, but this thought crosses my mind so much, especially on practice days. Regarding your situation I think you did everything right. You didn’t really know what to do but you summoned the people that do. All you can do unless you’re going to become a paramedic.
Pink
6/20/2020 3:15am
If your not an expert paramedic (or even if you are) this can be tough. I’ve been there, both helping people and the one needing the help. But all you can do is use common sense, get the bike off of them, leave there helmet ON! No sudden moves, and just talk in a calming voice until more help arrives.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
6/20/2020 3:32am Edited Date/Time 6/20/2020 3:41am
I have ran to or stopped to a handful of these over the years.

Full disclosure: Not a medical professional

1) ABC. Airway, Breathing, Circulation

If they’re unconscious I look for Airway obstructions, if they’re Breathing, and if they have a pulse. The answer to all of those is CPR first and foremost. Don’t care if there is a spinal injury. Don’t care if they’re pretzeled. If they’re unconscious and not breathing, they are being moved - helmet is coming off and CPR is starting.

2) If they’re conscious and in pain. I usually ask them to under their own power lay flat on the back. There is no rush to get up. Most people with the wind knocked out want to pace, which is difficult to triage with that urge to get up - but if they’re able to do that - I typically write off any major injuries.

3) If they’re pretzeled and in agony with something like a femor or ACL, I usually make a connection first and foremost. I’ve been there... laying on the track with strangers attending to you. Most of the time they’re confused on what to do, and you feel like you’re not really being tended to. I’ll make a point to check in with the rider, make eye contact, grab a hand and reassure we’re there to get them taken care of. If something like a femor has ruptured the femoral artery - and paramedics weren’t there I’d do something like a tourniquet to slow the bleeding.

4) Keep checking in on ABC.

With a musculoskeletal injury - there isn’t much you can do at a track - paramedics included. Keep the rider calm and alive from unconsciousness or bleeding - and transport.

The Shop

bvm111
6/20/2020 5:39am
Do Not Touch them if they are down and injured...you said it yourself you are not a medical professional and a lawyer will tear you up in court.

unfortunately this is the united states and you can get sued for being the nice guy, it sucks but the reality of the world we live in.
omalley
6/20/2020 5:58am
bvm111 wrote:
Do Not Touch them if they are down and injured...you said it yourself you are not a medical professional and a lawyer will tear you up...
Do Not Touch them if they are down and injured...you said it yourself you are not a medical professional and a lawyer will tear you up in court.

unfortunately this is the united states and you can get sued for being the nice guy, it sucks but the reality of the world we live in.
Some states have Good Samaritan laws that shield people from this...but yeah, if one change could be made to improve America, banning ambulance chasing slimeball attorneys would be a start...
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
6/20/2020 6:04am
Don't ever touch or move an injured rider especially if you suspect a spinal cord injury.

It doesn't necessarily mean that you would end up making the injury worse than it is, but seeing as you would be the first person to touch/move an injured person the blame would automatically fall on you. Like bvm111 mentioned, you would be sued for all you got.

It's best to just try and calm them down, let them know not to move and that medical professionals are on their way.
Pink
6/20/2020 6:12am
bvm111 wrote:
Do Not Touch them if they are down and injured...you said it yourself you are not a medical professional and a lawyer will tear you up...

There are good citizens laws to protect people trying to help in good faith. Example, if you were in a Fiery car crash, and I pulled you out and I paralyzed you in the process. You can not blame me for anything.
EngIceDave
6/20/2020 6:17am
I did this, A LOT.
Many may not know, but before I did this, I worked at a local track in Ft Lauderdale called Pepsi/Air Dania, was, in retrospect, an insane track. I won’t say dangerous, but it certainly was sketchy as hell. I was announcer and so much more, and when someone went down, I was the guy dodging bikes and sprinting across the track. Feels like I’d have to do this two or three times a night.

First, MxKing is correct, ABC.

I am not a medical professional, but have had advanced first aid training and I guess now, a ton of on the job training.

After ABC, asses the situation. I always made a point to tell the rider to not move. Could create more damage or issues depending on the situation and injury. I tell the rider to hold still, relax and to take a self assessment. What hurts? Can you wiggle toes? Relax, breathe, assess. Take your time. 9 times out of 10, it seemed that all a rider really needed was to catch their breath and gain their composure. Once we get to that point, and they think they’re ok, I ask them to SLOWLY try and start moving. Take it easy. Then try to get up, also slowly, in case of any missed injury and also in case they become light headed (possible concussion).

Even things like broken arms, collarbones and such, riders can typically get up and walk back to pits or ride in mule once they regain composure. There’s always exceptions to every rule.

If a rider is KTFO, I stay with them and try to protect them from oncoming traffic, while continuing ABC. I try to wake them, knuckle rub to center of chest (if possible) or pinch to side. In these cases, once woken, go very slow, easy to pass back out. I would also tell hem their ride for the day is over (once back to pits)...no one rode after KTFO

When it came to broken legs, I kept them comfortable and waited for EMTs to arrive (practice had none on duty, race day had to have on site). Femurs I would be especially cautious, those can get ugly quick. Take no chances with femurs. I’d wait for EMTs on tib/fib because it didn’t have proper equipment to stabilize it enough to get the rider back to the pits, even on a bumpy mule ride.

With some basic or advanced first aid training and some common sense, much of which you gain hanging around this sport, you can handle most injuries.

Again, I am not a healthcare professional and nothing said here is professional advice. Get some proper training.

But as said....ABC, stabilization, assess....
kage173
6/20/2020 6:30am
Makes my stomach drop just thinking about it.

Sounds to me like you did know what to do. Dont go beyond your limits. You are not going to save that kids life or their ability to walk. Keep the scene safe, dont let him get him hit by anyone else. Be there to comfort them and keep them as calm as possible.

Good job bro. You were alert and recognized the situation early.

MX Culture
6/20/2020 6:37am Edited Date/Time 6/20/2020 6:38am
Same here Dave.
I've announced a million local and fair races and usually down with the action and generally the first one to the downed rider.
My m.o. is to tell them to relax, and that I'm here with them, but I never touch them.
Ask questions like what hurts, where we are, etc, to see and evaluate how they really are.
Sometimes taking their mind off of things with a small conversation helps.
Try to evaluate as best possible and keep them calm. A lot of these guys know me so that helps a little too.
Basically killing time to wait for the (slow) local medics or if the rider is ok, get him up on their feet and off or away from the track.
Most times they are just shocked from hitting the ground.
Anything serious, I tell them the medics are coming and to take deep breaths and remain calm.
Never fun, but it seems like I do it on a weekly basis.
DD

EngIceDave
6/20/2020 6:45am
MX Culture wrote:
Same here Dave. I've announced a million local and fair races and usually down with the action and generally the first one to the downed rider...
Same here Dave.
I've announced a million local and fair races and usually down with the action and generally the first one to the downed rider.
My m.o. is to tell them to relax, and that I'm here with them, but I never touch them.
Ask questions like what hurts, where we are, etc, to see and evaluate how they really are.
Try to evaluate as best possible and keep them calm. A lot of these guys know me so that helps a little too.
Basically killing time to wait for the (slow) local medics or if the rider is ok, get him up on their feet and off or away from the track.
Anything serious, I tell them the medics are coming and to take deep breaths and remain calm.
DD

Exactly. Same here.
Most all knew me as well, they had to listen to my shit on the microphone all the damn day/night, so I was a familiar voice or person, and I agree, that helps to calm them and even the parents/friend/significant other.

I have to admit, there were times I’d reach a guy, go through initial motions and then ask “dude, what we’re you thinking? That was pretty stupid”

Usually lightened the situation and got their mind off any injury or shock, and they’d be ready to get going after a little laugh.

Knew a guy who cased this MASSIVE blind triple we had, broke both legs.
The very night he came back, like 8 weeks later, that night, he did same crash again...I was standing there and saw his legs snap....ran up and said, “Dude, are you fucking stupid?”

He said “I guess so”
slipdog
6/20/2020 7:07am
“Dude, are you fucking stupid?” -EID

"I ride dirt bikes, don't I?" -Every motocrosser ever
6/20/2020 7:46am Edited Date/Time 6/20/2020 7:53am
The very first thing on most EMS protocols is spinal movement restriction (SMR). Followed by stopping any massive bleeding followed by making sure they are breathing and if not to ensure the airway is unobstructed. This might mean having to move them. I was first on scene on a massive motorcycle accident on the street. The guy was hurled at least 30 feet across the road and landed in a ditch upside down. He was unconscious and not breathing. We had to make the decision to move him into a better orientation so that he could breathe and we could perform CPR. In a situation like that you have to put breathing first over any other potential injuries.

If they’re conscious but the legs are wrapped up it’s best to just leave them there until EMS can get there with proper stabilizing equipment. Majorly broken legs can be extraordinarily painful and difficult to manage without proper equipment.

It doesn’t matter what else is wrong with you, if you’re bleeding really bad or not breathing, you’re fucked no matter what. Gotta assess those things first.

Nothing worse than coming up on a kid who is clearly injured and distraught. Those are very difficult situations to manage because you got to get the kid to calm down first.
NewOldSchool
6/20/2020 7:47am
I had a reality check recently as well about not being prepared. Was riding my mountain bike and about a mile in the trail I came across three people standing on the side of the trail with a gentleman laying nearby. The guy on the ground was riding by himself and from what we gathered had a heart attack. About a minute after I came to them the paramedics showed up and immediately began CPR.

When I rolled up no one was doing anything and I assumed no one had the training and neither did I. Was a helpless feeling standing there looking at someone that obviously needed help and I can’t imagine how the three riders that found him felt. I got back to the truck packed up my stuff and left haven’t been back since.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
6/20/2020 8:19am Edited Date/Time 6/20/2020 8:30am
MX Culture wrote:
Same here Dave. I've announced a million local and fair races and usually down with the action and generally the first one to the downed rider...
Same here Dave.
DD

EngIceDave wrote:
Exactly. Same here. Most all knew me as well, they had to listen to my shit on the microphone all the damn day/night, so I was...
Exactly. Same here.
Most all knew me as well, they had to listen to my shit on the microphone all the damn day/night, so I was a familiar voice or person, and I agree, that helps to calm them and even the parents/friend/significant other.

I have to admit, there were times I’d reach a guy, go through initial motions and then ask “dude, what we’re you thinking? That was pretty stupid”

Usually lightened the situation and got their mind off any injury or shock, and they’d be ready to get going after a little laugh.

Knew a guy who cased this MASSIVE blind triple we had, broke both legs.
The very night he came back, like 8 weeks later, that night, he did same crash again...I was standing there and saw his legs snap....ran up and said, “Dude, are you fucking stupid?”

He said “I guess so”
You took good care of us Dave. I was there when he broke his legs on that triple while I was getting my gear on. I of coarse said no way I am jumping that now.... but 3 laps in and almost every lap all night I just couldn't help myself. Jump was only there a short time but here is a crappy shot off a handy cam. I have video of me trying to help others to jump it but only Ray Hanson did it one lap and said never again. It was way bigger than it looks with a tiny take off coming at an angle coming out of a valley. I only saw a few guys jump it but none of the butler team or the at that time Canadian champ or vanilla ice did it while I was there. It was fun but sketchy.

EngIceDave
6/20/2020 8:51am
That one was stupid, why it didn’t last long.
I was referring to the finish line front triple, blind AF and 110’ at one point, with a fairly short run

The other stupid one, when it was there, was the uphill triple....that had to be about 80-90’, but an elevation change of maybe 20’

In retrospect, that track was pretty stupid, but a shit ton of fast guys came out of or through it
plowboy
6/20/2020 9:11am Edited Date/Time 6/20/2020 9:12am
It occurs to me that we have an SME (Subject Matter Expert) here on Vital. Ping should be able to give a valid perspective on what to...and not to do...in a situation such as this. David Pingree...please go to the red courtesy phone.
brocster
6/20/2020 9:45am
Red Cross offers a first responders basic course along with CPR. I have been fortunate enough with my jobs to provide these and would recommend them. Think they are fairly cheap as well.

Do not move

ABC. (Finger swoop mouth, ear to nose watching chest, are you ok? Are you ok?)

No response

Call for help (911)

Chest compressions

If they pass ABC, still do not move, calm, cover and consult then treat as situation allows (first aid training) tourniquet, slings, stabilizers, etc.
dboivin
6/20/2020 9:49am Edited Date/Time 6/20/2020 9:50am
take an advanced first aid class. i am advanced and wilderness first aid trained. at least take them once in your life...answers all these questions.
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2888th
6/20/2020 9:55am
I was a certified EMT about 10 years ago. I’ve helped many injured riders and have seen lots of adults do dumb things with downed riders. I really feel EMT should be taught in high school to EVERYBODY instead of some of the bullshit they teach. It’s a great basic education on how the body works and what to do if there’s an emergency situation. Not a bad idea and not very expensive to take the classes as an adult. Ya never know, could save your buddies ass out in the middle of nowhere.
Spudnut
6/20/2020 10:03am
This is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt but....

If you’re not a certified or once certified emt all we can really do is be another set of eyes for the professionals, get to rider as fast as you can, flag down the emt as fast as you can and try to keep the victim calm, safe from traffic and still is really all you can do until the emt gets there hopefully within seconds assuming there is one on sight

It sounds like you did your best in this situation, don’t give yourself too much grief
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
6/20/2020 10:07am
1- MAKE SURE THE DOWNED RIDER ISN'T IN JEOPARDY OF GETTING RUN OVER. In other words, make sure the flagger is not only flagging, but standing in a place that prevents riders from jumping, rolling, or falling onto the injured. Get out there yourself if you have to.
2- Proceed with the rest of the above advice to the best of your abilities and no more.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
6/20/2020 10:21am Edited Date/Time 6/20/2020 10:36am
EngIceDave wrote:
That one was stupid, why it didn’t last long. I was referring to the finish line front triple, blind AF and 110’ at one point, with...
That one was stupid, why it didn’t last long.
I was referring to the finish line front triple, blind AF and 110’ at one point, with a fairly short run

The other stupid one, when it was there, was the uphill triple....that had to be about 80-90’, but an elevation change of maybe 20’

In retrospect, that track was pretty stupid, but a shit ton of fast guys came out of or through it
Oh Yes that front triple claimed a few too and evolved quite a bit. The biggest i remember the front triple was right after they filmed Jackass there. It was big big for a short time after. I absolutely loved the place and drove 2.5 hours there 2 times a week minimum for ever.

Such a fun jumps though .

YZ-MTB
6/20/2020 10:34am
plowboy wrote:
It occurs to me that we have an SME (Subject Matter Expert) here on Vital. Ping should be able to give a valid perspective on what...
It occurs to me that we have an SME (Subject Matter Expert) here on Vital. Ping should be able to give a valid perspective on what to...and not to do...in a situation such as this. David Pingree...please go to the red courtesy phone.
Was thinking myself this would be the perfect ask Ping question, but honestly, would be better as a full length article on the Vital home page.

I'm not a medical professional by any stretch, but I've been First Aid/CPR trained for over 20 years, so Ive been through at least 10 of those classes. Thankfully havent had to use that training a whole lot as it is very basic, but its better than nothing. Still feel pretty helpless in a serious situation, but not totally useless at least.

The first thing they teach in those classes is making sure the scene is safe for the victim as well as for you the rescuer. They teach you to take control of the scene, do a quick assessment of the severity of the injuries, and if warranted call 911 ASAP to get real help on the way.
plowboy
6/20/2020 10:59am
plowboy wrote:
It occurs to me that we have an SME (Subject Matter Expert) here on Vital. Ping should be able to give a valid perspective on what...
YZ-MTB wrote:
Was thinking myself this would be the perfect ask Ping question, but honestly, would be better as a full length article on the Vital home page...
Was thinking myself this would be the perfect ask Ping question, but honestly, would be better as a full length article on the Vital home page.

I'm not a medical professional by any stretch, but I've been First Aid/CPR trained for over 20 years, so Ive been through at least 10 of those classes. Thankfully havent had to use that training a whole lot as it is very basic, but its better than nothing. Still feel pretty helpless in a serious situation, but not totally useless at least.

The first thing they teach in those classes is making sure the scene is safe for the victim as well as for you the rescuer. They teach you to take control of the scene, do a quick assessment of the severity of the injuries, and if warranted call 911 ASAP to get real help on the way.
My thought was that Ping could give insight into what a PROFESSIONAL would do and also what a person with limited or no training should and SHOULD not do. I'm sure he's encountered situations where well intentioned people have made things worse. There are most certainly other folks on the board that have similar knowledge but we all know Ping and I for one think he's serious as a heart attack when it comes to this sort of stuff.
EngIceDave
6/20/2020 11:00am Edited Date/Time 6/20/2020 11:02am
Spudnut wrote:
This is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt but.... If you’re not a certified or once certified emt all we can...
This is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt but....

If you’re not a certified or once certified emt all we can really do is be another set of eyes for the professionals, get to rider as fast as you can, flag down the emt as fast as you can and try to keep the victim calm, safe from traffic and still is really all you can do until the emt gets there hopefully within seconds assuming there is one on sight

It sounds like you did your best in this situation, don’t give yourself too much grief
Many tracks don’t have full time EMTs, only on race day. So have to do your best until they get there when needed.
If an EMT showed up to ride, we’d left them ride for free in exchange for their services, if needed.
VetMX.com
6/20/2020 11:15am
I was one of the first at this major crash that knocked the rider out at Rio Bravo. I just turned off my camera but caught the aftermath. The crash was brutal. One guy was trying to remove his boots while he was unconscious. This is a good thread.
trexx
6/20/2020 11:34am
As a current EMT/TR-C I’m seeing some really good information and some not so good... first and foremost if a person in knocked unconscious please do not administer a sternal rub as that can cause damage if there happened to be an impact to the chest... instead determine their alertness by using AVPU (Alert, Verbal, Pain, Unresponsive) for pain squeeze their trap HARD and their should be a reaction. Always check for life threatening bleeding first and like above ABC’s... if suspected spinal injury leave them however they are sitting and manually stabilize their head with your hands until medics arrive.

Post a reply to: You're the first on the scene of an amateur racing accident what do you do?

The Latest