Your worst race

ktmdan
8/6/2008 11:23pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2012 7:28pm
I have three.

Back when I raced novice (XC) I got lapped and swore I would never get lapped again.

Another was my first and only DNF (knocking on wood). This was in 125 expert, it was so dusty that only one bike in my class finished.

The last was my first and only pro race where I forgot to turn my gas on.Blush
|
Slow ~ Pro
8/6/2008 11:27pm
I was in the lead...Short lived. Eddie Lawson, won that day.

Craze
8/7/2008 1:49am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 7:56pm
2005 Rhino Rally Hare & Hound just outside of St.George, Utah.....Took more soil samples than U.S. Geological Survey crew!!!!
Rooster
8/7/2008 2:28am
Left in an ambulance. Spent two weeks in intensive care. Three months in the regular ward, 14.5 hours on the operating table and had over 100 test and procedures done, between surgeries.

Still got a trophy though. I won the first moto and had enough points for 4th or 5th when the dust settled.
catatonic
8/7/2008 4:06am
We have a Wed. night series under the lights......It has no +30c class so the C riders ride with us B riders.
A guy w/ a nice new KX 450 got the holeshot and panicked.....he locked up the brakes on the face of the first jump. two of my buds and I who ride for the same shop were in 2nd,3rd and 4th. My bud landed on the novice, I landed on him and the rest of the pack landed on all 4 of us. I scored a few broken ribs and one of my friends scored some back surgery.
The novice rode the second moto.

The Shop

NetMXer
8/7/2008 4:13am
Not counting races where I got injured, my worst would probably be back in 75 racing at Budds Creek. We were the last race of the day and it was very muddy. I broke a chain going up the hill where the Big Gulp is now and by the time my father and I had pushed my bike back to the pits, we were the only car left in the lot.
BDOG
8/7/2008 5:27am
My one and only race on a Suzuki- 1987 Have not rode one since.
8/7/2008 5:28am
'94 at Tyler LL Regional Qualifier........The first time I ever came in dead last w/o crashing. I had my 4th concussion a few days prior to the race and my vision was screwed up, kept seeing black dots. That was a long quiet ride home.
davis224
Fantasy
182nd
8/7/2008 5:46am
one of my first races in B, for some reason I was getting super mega bad armpump on the 2nd lap, rode the first lap good, pulled away from the backpackers, then I hit a brick wall, and almost every single person passed me. I almost packed it up and went home right after the first moto. It was so embarassing.
kaw rider9
8/7/2008 5:57am
I've got two....

About six year's ago I raced a mudder in Cuba Illinois, BAD MUDDER!!! Longest 2 hour's of my life! Rode the best I could in that slop, only to get a DNF!!!! Must do 60% of the leader... I hated that rule... I ride better in the mud now, Not great, but better..

Two year's ago, we had our County fair. Pretty easy track, mostly table top's, a few double's and one whoop section. I had never raced motocross but I ride it all the time, how much harder could it be to race???? Drank ALOT of beer the night before and stayed up pretty late. The day started out hungover, BAD... Practice wen't ok, other than being hot as hell. The temp's got up to 102 with an index of 123. Qualifying came around and I was getting dizzy. I got 10th good enough to make the main, but I puked for the next twenty minutes. Thinking I was gonna die, I laid under the trailer in the shade for about two hour's. Drank about four gallon's of gatorade and ate abunch of fruit, but nothing helped. By the time the main came around I wasen't better, packed up all my crap and watched the race. I don't drink before race day anymore!!!
yzvet426
8/7/2008 7:15am
Camped out overnight with my kids. First Moto lined up, Gate dropped, woke up in the hospital with my wife and kids looking down at me. I realized right away it was a 2 hour drive for my wife to get there so this couldn't be good. .
I have no memory of that day but from what I heard the guy lined up next to me launched his bike off the line and into my head.

Another one was a Millville. Hit neutral and rolled the big step up.Even though I was all the way to the right I got landed on and hit so hard it broke the bolts holding my bars on. To this day every time I go off a jump I'm freaked about some dude landing on me. I can even hear the smack in my helmet.
Slow ~ Pro
8/7/2008 8:02am
The human race, is pretty bad !
KXF28
8/7/2008 8:25am
Man this is a great topic cant stop laughing.... not at the injury post's of coarse... one can learn alot....

kxf28
WSR
8/7/2008 8:54am
High Point National on ametuer Saturday in about 1988 or '89. I was in 2nd place going into the second turn,(a hair pin), the guy right behind me ass ended me and sent me over the bars. Took a minute or two before I realized what day it was.
Denn700
8/7/2008 9:01am
This year at Ponca City was my worst. I worked my butt off training last year and got 7th in +30 open. This year I drank every night at the races and finished in the back every moto. I also borrowed a beat up 1995 125 that had antifreeze leeking out of it and tried to race the 125 two stroke class even though I didn't jump anything because I thought the bike was gonna seize. I am 33 and the second oldest person in the class was 16! I got lapped by everyone in the class by the third lap and quit.
8/7/2008 9:20am
Not counting injury races, my 3rd 80 supermini race. Got the holeshot it started raining, crashed. Got up rolling around in last trying to catch up, hit a hay bale and go down again. Get up ride about 5 ft fall over again. Turns out the metal wrapped around the hay bale got into my front tire. It was a blast trying to get out of the tire and walk it back. 3 crashes in one lap, awesome fun.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4299th
8/7/2008 9:36am
There's many of these.

One that pisses me off the most is a Texas Series race at Mosier in 79. Rode really well in the first moto to get 2nd. Second moto, get a simply beautiful holeshot and check out. About 10 seconds out. Everything is flowing. Kicking ass and taking names. Second to the last lap, a friend who had just gotten to the track with Bobby Kyle comes running into my vision, cheering me on. My brain short circuited. He was just the last guy on the planet I expected to see at that moment. I'm still thinking instead of riding when I get to this little pissant hairpin around a tree. I lose the front end!!!!!! Drop it and kill it. And the sucker will not fire for some reason. 2nd comes on by. 1st in 1st moto, so I need to catch him for the overall. Then 3rd. I finally get the damn thing to blubber to life. Take off determined to re-assert the lead. I have them in sight about halfway through the last lap. Bike swaps in this sand section and pitches me right over the top. I don't remember anything else until waking up and seeing this kid on an 80. He's been asking me to wake up and then If I wanted the paramedics. I can't move my arms and legs and am freaking a little. I say Yeah.

Turns out I just had my bell rung and everything came back in a few minutes. But that day just sucked big time.
Ozy
8/7/2008 10:01am
Ascot Park - 125 Pro in the late 70's: I had just beat Ron Turner and came in first place, I was so pumped I was doing a wheelie down the straight and shifting through the gears, I missed a shift and looped in front of the grandstands

DOH!
armpumpking
8/7/2008 10:04am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 7:56pm
3 Year back I invited all my friends and family for a local Arenacross. Jumped the catapult in first gear on practice.
Handlebars $100.00
Clutch Lever $29.95
Bend Forks $450.00
Helmet $295.00
_________
Friends and Family watching the all thing. Priceless
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
8/7/2008 10:18am
Ha, too many to list.

One time, first lap of practice some gooner goes WFO even though everyone is still bunched up. Banzai's a damn jump and lands right on me. Sheared off the footpeg. Ever try finding someone with a spare footpeg in time for your moto? Good luck. That was the end of my day.

Did a 4-hour beach race one time in the pouring rain. It was impossible to wear goggles. You'd use all tear offs in 1 straight away and then the sand would just stick to the wet lens. If you tried to wipe it off it just got worse. So you'd end up with no goggles and keep taking facefuls of sugar sand from paddle tires. I had so much damn sand in my eyes it took about a week to come out.

I had one race that was so bad I don't even remember it.
Slow ~ Pro
8/7/2008 12:11pm
FGR01 wrote:
Ha, too many to list. One time, first lap of practice some gooner goes WFO even though everyone is still bunched up. Banzai's a damn jump...
Ha, too many to list.

One time, first lap of practice some gooner goes WFO even though everyone is still bunched up. Banzai's a damn jump and lands right on me. Sheared off the footpeg. Ever try finding someone with a spare footpeg in time for your moto? Good luck. That was the end of my day.

Did a 4-hour beach race one time in the pouring rain. It was impossible to wear goggles. You'd use all tear offs in 1 straight away and then the sand would just stick to the wet lens. If you tried to wipe it off it just got worse. So you'd end up with no goggles and keep taking facefuls of sugar sand from paddle tires. I had so much damn sand in my eyes it took about a week to come out.

Look me up...I have several spare foot pegs with me at all times.
Sponsored by IMS, I throw the stock pegs in a box. I have them for almost every bike.

I have a trick for the goggle issue as well...absolute flawless.
kaw rider9
8/7/2008 12:25pm
FGR01 wrote:
Ha, too many to list. One time, first lap of practice some gooner goes WFO even though everyone is still bunched up. Banzai's a damn jump...
Ha, too many to list.

Slow ~ Pro wrote:
Look me up...I have several spare foot pegs with me at all times. Sponsored by IMS, I throw the stock pegs in a box. I have...
Sponsored by IMS, I throw the stock pegs in a box. I have them for almost every bike.

What would said trick be??????
Astor
8/7/2008 2:42pm Edited Date/Time 8/7/2008 2:43pm
Crashing out on the second lap of practice. busting my front brake.
super rat
8/7/2008 4:04pm
not my worst race but I dig the photo.

twizzler
8/7/2008 4:17pm
Racing a brand new straight out of the box 93' RM250. Like riding a freakin' jack hammer!
HONDA155
8/7/2008 4:31pm
ive had some bad motos on a few circus nights. AKA FAIR RACES
KTM boy 137
8/7/2008 4:37pm
A track that was a lot of fun...
Got to practice late and had to basically throw my gear on as fast as possible to get in a few laps of practice.

It was pretty muddy/sticky and there was a BIG double that was only ever used on race days (on practice days the track went 'around' it) I always thought to myself for someone to jump that they had to be insane. It just had a huge steep face, and it just seemed daunting.

Anywho - I was in practice and coming up to the jump and thinking to myself "Man, slowing down for this will suck"... it had to be 2nd or 3rd lap... came into the corner right before it, got a touch of wheelspin and the guy in front of me looked commited so I figured I'd follow his lead.

Well, as it turns out - he wasn't commited, but I was. Luckily I was cruisin' pretty good and cleared it. I remember thinking while I was in there "damn, this really IS a huge ass jump" and glancing around.

I was SO excited, and the jump was SO much fun! It really flowed well and wasn't nearly as bad as I had made it out to be.

As I was looking for lines around the rest of the track my rear hub broke and pretzled my sprocket around my swingarm right in front of everyone.

Ruined my day and I spent a good amount of time walking to the pits to get tools, then all the time taking off my tire and jazz so I could get the sprocket off and get the bike back to the truck.

Of course there are the injury days too - but that race was one of my worst even though it started so good.
Slow ~ Pro
8/7/2008 5:49pm
FGR01 wrote:
Ha, too many to list.

Slow ~ Pro wrote:
Look me up...I have several spare foot pegs with me at all times. Sponsored by IMS, I throw the stock pegs in a box. I have...

kaw rider9 wrote:
What would said trick be??????
Now if I was to allow my sure fire ways to beat the adversity of bad weather, then everybody would do it.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
8/7/2008 6:19pm
FGR01 wrote:
Ha, too many to list.

Slow ~ Pro wrote:

Let's not keep your fellow riders in suspense, we'll even name the trick after you....
SomeFLKid39
8/7/2008 6:50pm
How bout 6 broken bones in one race. Bad day?
sakana
8/7/2008 7:01pm
FGR01 wrote:
Ha, too many to list.

Slow ~ Pro wrote:

Let's not keep your fellow riders in suspense, we'll even name the trick after you....
Hmmmmmmmmmm!
RainX on your lens, soak/wet each tear-off with baby oil than install on your goggles.
Makes 30 tear offs look like you looking through 3, even at night with the glare of the lights.
Not recommended for dusty conditions.
Doug S.

Post a reply to: Your worst race

The Latest