Your local MX race turnouts?

j368
I know this been talked about in the past. But, I wanted to see how it's been in different areas during this Summer and even in the Spring. With the exception of the big events, and State Series races. State races around here years ago would be 400-500 entries on average, now less than 200 mostly. The races at your local tracks, how's the number of race entries been this Summer? Spring? I know in OK, KS and MO they've all been down, and seem to be declining every year. These days it seems like 75 total entries for a local race is considered very good, and 50-60 can be the average many times. It was a lot of fun to race local events with good turnouts 2 or 3 weekends a month. Are your local track practice days getting good numbers, or is that going down too?

It just seems like our sport is in a big decline every year with no uptick in sight? The biggest classes are the little bikes, and Vet classes around here.

What's your thoughts guys with what you've seen this Summer, and the last couple years?
|
greenmx5
8/30/2017 6:17am

If you go to a track on a practice day around here, there's usually quite a bit of people there. Racing itself has just gotten too expensive. Plus, you're there from the ass crack of dawn till the sun is starting to go down. Who wants to do that on a Sunday when you have to drive an hour plus on the way home and go to work Monday? Tracks charge too much to race, charge membership fees to every series under the sun. You used to just grab your AMA card for the year and go to a track and race. Now there's so many classes with 5 people in each class and you're there all day. Why do that when you can pay 30 bucks, go to a track, and ride all day and go home when you want (practice days.)
r.sal923
8/30/2017 6:29am
It sure is a poor turn out for big bikes at our local small town races, and seams to be slowly declining in the last 5 races. I have been told that at the races outside of our local event have seen a decline, but the mini gates have seen a crazy good turn out for the last 3 years. Hopefully within the next years all the kids move up from 65-80 class to big bikes and put the numbers back up. i think if the kids don't loose interest the years to come will be good.
TJMX947
8/30/2017 7:03am
I only race a couple times per year (just to say I still race) but its not very good in North Carolina. AMA district races aren't what they used to be, and they're cutting back rounds. In 2003 - 2004 you could literally race every weekend in North Carolina, with a handful of "outlaw" tracks racing as well. I think there are 18 AMA races per year and they run concurrently at Ultra Series rounds. In the summer of 2003 I raced every weekend and I didn't drive more than 50 miles from my house. I'm lucky in that I live about an hour from Club MX, but if you want to ride somewhere else you have to wait until Saturday afternoon for the track to update Facebook on whether or not they'll be open on Sundays. It kind of pisses me off. If Club ever closes their practice track I'm getting a XC and a DH mountain bike and selling my dirt bikes.

There is one track that is thriving, its called East Bend Motorsports. They put on a hell of a series. I think they had 1700 members last year or something. They hold probably 30 races per year, prepped practice on Tuesday/Thursday nights and Saturday/Sundays when they aren't racing. Special awards/events at every race. They're doing it right.

The track is super safe, and they really cater to their target demographic - people who aren't professionals who want to bang bars and have a good time. My only complaint when I raced there was the track wasn't ripped very deep so by the end of the night it got super slick. But the owner doesn't beat around the bush, he preps the track so that 50s can have fun. If 50s can't have fun they don't open. Oh and the wait to sign up was out of control. Missed my practice. They could benefit from an online pre-registration...which is a good problem to have!

The Shop

Markee
Fantasy
1890th
8/30/2017 7:10am
TJMX947 wrote:
I only race a couple times per year (just to say I still race) but its not very good in North Carolina. AMA district races aren't...
I only race a couple times per year (just to say I still race) but its not very good in North Carolina. AMA district races aren't what they used to be, and they're cutting back rounds. In 2003 - 2004 you could literally race every weekend in North Carolina, with a handful of "outlaw" tracks racing as well. I think there are 18 AMA races per year and they run concurrently at Ultra Series rounds. In the summer of 2003 I raced every weekend and I didn't drive more than 50 miles from my house. I'm lucky in that I live about an hour from Club MX, but if you want to ride somewhere else you have to wait until Saturday afternoon for the track to update Facebook on whether or not they'll be open on Sundays. It kind of pisses me off. If Club ever closes their practice track I'm getting a XC and a DH mountain bike and selling my dirt bikes.

There is one track that is thriving, its called East Bend Motorsports. They put on a hell of a series. I think they had 1700 members last year or something. They hold probably 30 races per year, prepped practice on Tuesday/Thursday nights and Saturday/Sundays when they aren't racing. Special awards/events at every race. They're doing it right.

The track is super safe, and they really cater to their target demographic - people who aren't professionals who want to bang bars and have a good time. My only complaint when I raced there was the track wasn't ripped very deep so by the end of the night it got super slick. But the owner doesn't beat around the bush, he preps the track so that 50s can have fun. If 50s can't have fun they don't open. Oh and the wait to sign up was out of control. Missed my practice. They could benefit from an online pre-registration...which is a good problem to have!
Their ability to ride at night does nothing but help summer time attendance. When its 90 degrees plus, its a chore all the way around for riders and track owners.

Talked with the owner of South Fork MX and he was telling me how good East Bend is doing and was looking into doing night races and rides if he could get the lights sorted.
TJMX947
8/30/2017 7:36am
TJMX947 wrote:
I only race a couple times per year (just to say I still race) but its not very good in North Carolina. AMA district races aren't...

Markee wrote:
Their ability to ride at night does nothing but help summer time attendance. When its 90 degrees plus, its a chore all the way around for...
Their ability to ride at night does nothing but help summer time attendance. When its 90 degrees plus, its a chore all the way around for riders and track owners.

Talked with the owner of South Fork MX and he was telling me how good East Bend is doing and was looking into doing night races and rides if he could get the lights sorted.
Love the helmet cams I've seen of South Fork. I heard 402 trails just re-did their track, which is who does East Bend as well. I'd love to check it out, Sand is my favorite surface to ride. Its a hike from the Charlotte Area though.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
8/30/2017 7:56am
Last weekend the 125 Dream Race at Washougal had an open practice(all bikes) with 400 riders and Sunday's race had 300. Super fun weekend!
j368
8/30/2017 8:22am
Last weekend the 125 Dream Race at Washougal had an open practice(all bikes) with 400 riders and Sunday's race had 300. Super fun weekend!
Well, that's kind of a 1 off event. I can see a large turnout for that. If you're in Portland, that's local for you. If you're in LA, that's a haul for you.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
8/30/2017 8:25am
TJMX947 wrote:

Markee wrote:
Their ability to ride at night does nothing but help summer time attendance. When its 90 degrees plus, its a chore all the way around for...

TJMX947 wrote:
Love the helmet cams I've seen of South Fork. I heard 402 trails just re-did their track, which is who does East Bend as well. I'd...
Love the helmet cams I've seen of South Fork. I heard 402 trails just re-did their track, which is who does East Bend as well. I'd love to check it out, Sand is my favorite surface to ride. Its a hike from the Charlotte Area though.
They sure did. I camped out last week I was so excited to ride the new 402 layout, haha. Its a improvement for sure, little slower with more turns and tech sections. Come on up man, they do a excellent job taking care of the track and the riders. They are geared towards actually riding, but they do have a outlaw race this weekend.
8/30/2017 8:43am
congrats you've made the 1000th thread about local mx turn outs. If you want to help instead of bring up a well known issue how about you contact your local racing series and urge them to fix their class structure and give us more riding time. Practice all Saturday and races Sunday would be the superior way to do so.
8/30/2017 8:45am
greenmx5 wrote:
If you go to a track on a practice day around here, there's usually quite a bit of people there. Racing itself has just gotten too...

If you go to a track on a practice day around here, there's usually quite a bit of people there. Racing itself has just gotten too expensive. Plus, you're there from the ass crack of dawn till the sun is starting to go down. Who wants to do that on a Sunday when you have to drive an hour plus on the way home and go to work Monday? Tracks charge too much to race, charge membership fees to every series under the sun. You used to just grab your AMA card for the year and go to a track and race. Now there's so many classes with 5 people in each class and you're there all day. Why do that when you can pay 30 bucks, go to a track, and ride all day and go home when you want (practice days.)
Well if you're not about driving and getting up early sorry to hear thats part of racing. I can agree with you though on the expensive vs ride time part, not enough riding for the money you pay.
Paul333
8/30/2017 9:00am Edited Date/Time 8/30/2017 9:01am
I cannot speak for the rest of the country but I can vouch for strong turn-outs for Virginia/North Carolina/South East tracks. Both for open practice and races. We have several regional series that also do very well. Motocross is alive and thriving in this area.
j368
8/30/2017 9:15am
congrats you've made the 1000th thread about local mx turn outs. If you want to help instead of bring up a well known issue how about...
congrats you've made the 1000th thread about local mx turn outs. If you want to help instead of bring up a well known issue how about you contact your local racing series and urge them to fix their class structure and give us more riding time. Practice all Saturday and races Sunday would be the superior way to do so.
We already do that, and have practice Saturday then race on Sunday. Turnouts are still low.
8/30/2017 9:18am
Big races can get full gates for A class, local races A class has nothing. But C class and B class are usually full (c all the time) and practice days are usually pretty packed (Saturday's/Sunday's)
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
8/30/2017 9:22am Edited Date/Time 8/30/2017 9:24am
Glad to see I'm not the only one, I always have to explain when he tell people I ride dirt bikes. "Do you race?" Not really too expensive.
In eastern nc the small local race turn outs seem pretty good. D class is always the biggest because of sandbaggers in that class and all the classes above. D class winner can do all the jumps, c class qualifies for lorettas and can over jump the jumps and rail the corners. Really makes it un-enjoyable for people just starting out.

Here is why I don't go.
They charge $10 per person just to get through the gate riders included. Charging the entertainment to provide the entertainment. So if you bring your family or friends (you know to make it enjoyable day) you are already out $40
Sign up is $25 but wait they run 3 seasons a year each requiring a membership fee, another $20
So that's $85 not counting fuel costs for bike and truck and not counting eating breakfast and dinner on the drive.
They start sign up at 7:00 and practice at 9:00 so if you are like me and don't have an enclosed trailer that means getting up at about 6:00 to load and get there. And they are usually done by 1-2:00 so you can tell the promoters really don't care about being there longer than they have to be. They could easily move the start time back.
So very early morning, about $100 to ride 2 5min practices with the A class riders then 2 5 lap motos with the D class who's only hope to win is to sky the big jump and then slam into everyone in the corners.
The only benifit to racing is the track is awesome. Not that you get much time to enjoy it anyways.

I would much rather pay the $20-$25 to go practice from 10:00-5:00 ride all I want, relax all I want and not have to worry about some squid t-boning me and destroying by bike just so he can get a plastic trophy.
j368
8/30/2017 1:20pm
600 at Briarcliff Mx in Ohio this past weekend
That's a great turnout...
greenmx5
8/30/2017 4:56pm
greenmx5 wrote:
If you go to a track on a practice day around here, there's usually quite a bit of people there. Racing itself has just gotten too...

Well if you're not about driving and getting up early sorry to hear thats part of racing. I can agree with you though on the expensive...
Well if you're not about driving and getting up early sorry to hear thats part of racing. I can agree with you though on the expensive vs ride time part, not enough riding for the money you pay.
I don't mind getting up early to go to the races. Did it for 15 years. But back in the late 90s, early 00s, you got there early and were our by 4 or 5. Had time to grab dinner on the way home even. The later part of my racing days, we were at the track by 7am and sometimes were getting the payout around 8pm and getting home at 10pm. All in all, doing 4 five lap motos and one practice session. 12 hours at the track and 30 minutes of riding? Try convincing a kid that that's a good way to spend a Sunday.
smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
8/30/2017 5:20pm
buckeye series is doing good. 200-380 riders at the 1st 3 rds. the 2 races I did. we were out by 3-4 pm. combining classes is the right move. keep the tracks safe and fun with Saturday practice seems to work. lots of people camp, making it better for the family time. I do agree with if your racing gate fee should be less than a spectator. the sitting around I call relaxing on the weekend. watching motos and hanging with the fam. its only so many weekends a year. better than sitting at the house.
woodsrider427
8/31/2017 3:35pm
TJMX947 wrote:

Yes, East Bend has definitely carved out their own little niche and they do a great job. You always know what you are going to get when you head there. A well prepped track that is, like you said, very safe (which is a good thing for us old guys) but is still a lot of fun. I am always amazed by the race turnouts (although we haven't been in over a year but I assume it's the same) for a small night track, I think the first round one spring had over 300 riders and we didn't finish until 1:00 am.
You are right though, when the sun sets and the moisture starts coming out it can get slick.
hyler199
8/31/2017 4:27pm
Xc/sprint/enduro is doing pretty great here in the greater Toronto with minimal advertising. Quite a few of our Enduro races attract a lot of American visitors. Great Pine Enduro at Ganaraska Park and The 2 day Corduroy Enduro, 50+ years going
8/31/2017 4:30pm
congrats you've made the 1000th thread about local mx turn outs. If you want to help instead of bring up a well known issue how about...
j368 wrote:
We already do that, and have practice Saturday then race on Sunday. Turnouts are still low.
Do you think its classes then? I know my local race series has a lot of classes, so may there is racing both days. If there were fewer classes and more practice and ride time with an entire practice day it would be filled. That way you get to practice and ride as well as do some racing.
moto9
8/31/2017 8:20pm
There are going to be a few hotbeds but look at the big picture nation wide.
MHO
1. fewer local places to ride for most
2. Cost to enter the sport is high and so is cost of ownership.
Example
$11000 bikes
$500 boots
$500 helmets
Yes there are deals and closeouts, but a parent can get their kid into baseball or basketball for 1% of what it'd cost compared to dirt biking.
So, no feeder program....no future parents getting their kids into dirt biking.
The decline will continue and increase with time.
The big question is
What can be done?
8/31/2017 8:58pm
j368 wrote:
Do you think its classes then? I know my local race series has a lot of classes, so may there is racing both days. If there...
Do you think its classes then? I know my local race series has a lot of classes, so may there is racing both days. If there were fewer classes and more practice and ride time with an entire practice day it would be filled. That way you get to practice and ride as well as do some racing.
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Didn't you ask in a 4sale thread if an RM 250 clutch cover would fit your 125? Don't cyber bully and bash someone for what you think is a silly question or statement when you ask silly ?'s yourself.
MudPup545
9/1/2017 5:24am
In the big picture of MX my opinion means very little. I've only raced a handful of times in my life and flat out stunk the place up. I'm slow. So my lack of experience makes me ignorant to many of you that race often. My kid did a few seasons though and all was good until we moved up to the big track. I noticed small turnouts and many combined classes/gate drops. Why? Many reasons. This isn't cheap, we all know that. Way to many classes. Our days would start at 6 am and end about 12 hours later, not including drive time, all on a work night. Very time consuming and expensive for 2 motos at 4 laps each. So you get very little actual seat time. We only do the occasional practice day now and trail ride. One, we can ride together. Two, the seat time is great!! We can ride hour after hour, covering around 80 miles per trail ride. We can do this on a Saturday which leaves Sundays for clean up/maintenance. When we raced the bikes would sometimes sit on the trailer for days until we had the free time to tend to them.
BobPA
9/1/2017 6:25am
I think they should run the mini classes on a Saturday, or a different weekend. More than half the raceday schedule is taken up by 4 kids Idling around the track for three laps.

Racing is a shitty ROI no matter how you look at it. Lots of money for 20 minutes of ride time.....I'll stick to being a professional practice hero.
r.sal923
9/1/2017 6:42am
greenmx5 wrote:

Well if you're not about driving and getting up early sorry to hear thats part of racing. I can agree with you though on the expensive...
greenmx5 wrote:
I don't mind getting up early to go to the races. Did it for 15 years. But back in the late 90s, early 00s, you got...
I don't mind getting up early to go to the races. Did it for 15 years. But back in the late 90s, early 00s, you got there early and were our by 4 or 5. Had time to grab dinner on the way home even. The later part of my racing days, we were at the track by 7am and sometimes were getting the payout around 8pm and getting home at 10pm. All in all, doing 4 five lap motos and one practice session. 12 hours at the track and 30 minutes of riding? Try convincing a kid that that's a good way to spend a Sunday.
This is a big reason why I quit racing. They have 30 classes, try to run a lot of them 20 min +2, then you have 2 people get hurt and need ambulance , then 50 cc riders getting stuck, then , then , then. By the time moto 2 rolls around it is 4pm and they cut all the motos down to 3 laps. 1st moto is 20+2 and 2nd moto is 3 laps, leaving track at 9 pm. I am so over that. The best racing I have ever done is evening racing 5:30-8:30. Big bikes fast guys, big bikes slow guys, small bikes fast kids, small bikes slow kids, and then lady's, 5 classes is all you need to have fun.
Panic_Rev
9/1/2017 7:13am
For reasons already mentioned I ride practice days and don't really race anymore. If they would cut the classes down I would absolutely get back into it. With a wife and two kids fighting for my time I can't justify an all day event. Similar reason why I don't golf as much anymore. Less classes would shorten the time, could increase laps, and increase class size because it's more compact.

Post a reply to: Your local MX race turnouts?

The Latest