Your kids disinterested in Moto?

motomike894
1/14/2021 9:44am
My son is 11 now, I am a die hard Mxer have been my whole life, we moved almost two years ago and have a track in my backyard even now.

He had a PW and he really got into it one summer when he was 7 and really to big for it but then that fall he was over it and hasnt asked or touched a bike since then, I have had a few pitbikes he couldve rode but nope he doesnt care.

He likes playing on the track acting like hes a ninja and building legos and playing minecraft.

And I dont care , as long as he turns into a good human thats all I care about, he is more like my wife, timid, not a risk taker, and thats fine by me.

I do think it would be cool if he at least wanted to ride here or there though eventually, my dad still races, would be cool to go to a race once with all 3 of us racing, even if only happened once.
MXracr157
1/14/2021 11:14am
gnarwhip wrote:
I was super into racing moto for all of my teenage years and missed out on a lot of stuff my friends got to do...lake trips...
I was super into racing moto for all of my teenage years and missed out on a lot of stuff my friends got to do...lake trips, parties, chicks. Meanwhile i was going to bed early to wake up at 5 to be at the track. Kindof made me an outcast sometimes. Unless you're a super fast phenom going to Lorettas, it isn't for everyone.
Same here. Never been to a high school dance. Never played sports in school. That's cool with me though. Nothing is better than moto and I...
Same here. Never been to a high school dance. Never played sports in school. That's cool with me though. Nothing is better than moto and I wouldn't change a thing about if I could. All those cool kids on the football team from your school are probably a bunch of dead beats or alcoholics and we are still shredding the berms. I dig it.
Kinda harsh...….I was a multi year starter on my HS Football Team and dated the cheerleaders/Dance Team Captain but I also raced BMX nationals while in HS. Not claiming to be "Cool", but I always had a GF and liked to interact with most of my peer group and attend dances and other social functions. I actually got busted back to 4th string one year because I missed the 1st varsity game of the season to race the (NBL) Grands that year. Didn't have the opportunity to start racing Moto until I was 20 but raced many years and now race XC on Quads (laugh all you want - it's fun). Not a deadbeat but I do like adult beverages.

To the OP's point. My son raced XC with me for about a year and a half and will occasionally hop on a motorized object for about 5 minutes. He would rather run his drone at the race and film than ride, but that's cool too. Whatever he likes is what I'll support.
1/14/2021 11:15am Edited Date/Time 1/14/2021 11:17am
I've been together with someone for 3 years, and she, like her kids, had zero clues about anything "moto" related before we met, even though their uncle/future BIL rides some. She has gotten into it; rides, watches all the races, even does fantasy.

Kids could care less, they are on the stick and ball sports bandwagon, but they do enjoy going to hare scrambles to hang out/work at the fuel stop and watching supercross mains (motocross is "too long to sit for", says them).

The boys of the family were offered the chance to get bikes for the holidays; zero interest. Weird since the oldest 17 year old actually volunteered to work an enduro not long ago and wants to go back to work again. The 8 year old knows a large portion of the field and their numbers on the broadcasts, and he does read some RacerX articles when he has to fill out his reading log.

It is a bit weird with them seeing so many bikes in the garage and others in and out of the workshop as my side hustle, but they've never really asked; content with just watching or hanging out at races, which in of itself is cool. I hope maybe one day the bug will bite them too, but until then, we'll continue to support their sporting and academic adventures.
B Lenny
2/22/2021 12:41pm
My Grandson started after he could ride a bicycle..The didn't wanna ride the 50 anymore and stopped until I had a KX65 in my storage I was keeping til he could touch the ground..It took about 10 years..Now he's talkin' about takin' my truck and my 250 when I die..Shocked

The Shop

Post a reply to: Your kids disinterested in Moto?

The Latest