Your ideal suspension

numbers
10/16/2020 6:17pm
Ryan625 wrote:
The plan is to do a “B-kit” build on my next bike. My question is what direction would the fine people of vital do? I’ve ridden...
The plan is to do a “B-kit” build on my next bike. My question is what direction would the fine people of vital do? I’ve ridden plenty of A-kits and well built pro bikes but never anything done specifically for me beyond a revalve. So my question is what would you do to your suspension given roughly a $2500 budget, give or take.
$2500 and some patience and a lot of searching could get you the real deal A-kit. I think I’ll be close to that with Enzo set...
$2500 and some patience and a lot of searching could get you the real deal A-kit. I think I’ll be close to that with Enzo set up cost. And that’s with team only wide billet lugs
You could email STAR and see if there's any garage sale type equipment. Buying used top knotch stuff doesn't hurt.
10/16/2020 11:19pm Edited Date/Time 10/16/2020 11:28pm
I think a common misconception is that buying A or B kit suspension is automatically going to give you amazing suspension. Thats not necessarily true. A and B-Kit suspension can be terrible for you if not set up properly for you. Even the pros are constantly adjusting their top of the line components to get the feel they are looking for.

IMO you don't need to spend $2500 to get good suspension, but its your money and i'm not going to tell you how to spend it. More often than not, a proper revalve for your type of riding and perhaps a setting that is slightly above your skill level (allowing you to grow into it) is all that's needed, coupled with proper and consistent suspension maintenance. I've tried Cone Valves and Trax shock and my revalved AER48 and stock WP shock feel better for me. Suspension is entirely personal, situational, and 1 setting isn't going to satisfy all scenarios.

I tend to prefer suspension that moves a bit freely under low velocity situations (flat corners and such) but damping ramps up quickly as suspension velocities increase, giving me the confidence that i can charge faster and harder through sections without fear of the suspension bottoming and then deflecting. I like to have confidence that even in an over jump situation the suspension won't bottom. When you have confidence like that in your suspension, you ride faster.
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4190th
10/17/2020 7:36am
My $.02 and take it at that is do some searching and wait for a good deal on a set of “A-kit” KYB forks and shock. That’s what I run on my 19 yz250f and what they cost me used And I had Enzo set them up for me and I would have had more in building a kickass B-kit setup. I don’t care what anyone says in here that the Yamaha stock stuff is close to A-kit minus coatings they are not. It’s hands down way better. The traction you get in corners along everything else is incredible.

The Shop

TeamGreen
10/17/2020 8:32am
I think a common misconception is that buying A or B kit suspension is automatically going to give you amazing suspension. Thats not necessarily true. A...
I think a common misconception is that buying A or B kit suspension is automatically going to give you amazing suspension. Thats not necessarily true. A and B-Kit suspension can be terrible for you if not set up properly for you. Even the pros are constantly adjusting their top of the line components to get the feel they are looking for.

IMO you don't need to spend $2500 to get good suspension, but its your money and i'm not going to tell you how to spend it. More often than not, a proper revalve for your type of riding and perhaps a setting that is slightly above your skill level (allowing you to grow into it) is all that's needed, coupled with proper and consistent suspension maintenance. I've tried Cone Valves and Trax shock and my revalved AER48 and stock WP shock feel better for me. Suspension is entirely personal, situational, and 1 setting isn't going to satisfy all scenarios.

I tend to prefer suspension that moves a bit freely under low velocity situations (flat corners and such) but damping ramps up quickly as suspension velocities increase, giving me the confidence that i can charge faster and harder through sections without fear of the suspension bottoming and then deflecting. I like to have confidence that even in an over jump situation the suspension won't bottom. When you have confidence like that in your suspension, you ride faster.
Damn

That is written PERFECTLY.
mxav8r
10/17/2020 8:44am
Man just go big!!! This is the perfect vet rider setup 😁

Ryan625
10/18/2020 9:38am
Ryan625 wrote:
The plan is to do a “B-kit” build on my next bike. My question is what direction would the fine people of vital do? I’ve ridden...
The plan is to do a “B-kit” build on my next bike. My question is what direction would the fine people of vital do? I’ve ridden plenty of A-kits and well built pro bikes but never anything done specifically for me beyond a revalve. So my question is what would you do to your suspension given roughly a $2500 budget, give or take.
$2500 and some patience and a lot of searching could get you the real deal A-kit. I think I’ll be close to that with Enzo set...
$2500 and some patience and a lot of searching could get you the real deal A-kit. I think I’ll be close to that with Enzo set up cost. And that’s with team only wide billet lugs
numbers wrote:
You could email STAR and see if there's any garage sale type equipment. Buying used top knotch stuff doesn't hurt.
How does one go about doing this? lol
10/18/2020 10:26am
mx317 wrote:
https://motocrossactionmag.com/bare-bones-looks-arent-everything-when-it-comes-to-fork-tubes/

Here is a good article by Bones Bacon on suspension coatings.
bh wrote:
X2
In Layman’s Terms: Either buy proper A-Kit or leave your fork coatings alone. OEM engineers spend ALOT of time and resources to ensure tolerance within the moving parts of your suspension.
nytsmaC
10/18/2020 2:12pm
nytsmaC wrote:
I’d make it plush, yet firm
Sheriff245 wrote:
I myself like suspension to be soft and compliant on small bumps, yet stiff on hard landings.

Post a reply to: Your ideal suspension

The Latest