Your favorite Dirt Bike

OG725
11/24/2020 6:05pm
2001 CR250, good chassis, GREAT engine.
MPJC
Fantasy
702nd
11/24/2020 6:07pm
I had a chance to ride a TM 300 2 stroke. Amazing bike. Would love to have one.
AndrewCarson
11/24/2020 6:37pm Edited Date/Time 11/24/2020 6:40pm
Vertemati/VOR 503
hypermoto
11/24/2020 6:46pm
H4L wrote:
Yup. With mods it’s at a different level & a completely different animal. I’ve owned all the 4 Japanese brands (RM, YZ, KX & CR) dating...
Yup. With mods it’s at a different level & a completely different animal. I’ve owned all the 4 Japanese brands (RM, YZ, KX & CR) dating back to the early 80’s. Have also ridden some KTM’s dating back to a 92 through 17 models & wasn’t impressed.
Owned 02, 04, 06, 09 & 11 YZ250’s & IMHO the steel frame YZ’s are a much better bike.

The 3rd gen CR is the best 250 2t owned out of the bunch once it was set up & dialed.
hypermoto wrote:
It’s always funny how much everyones opinions differ. I was always blown away with the sheer power of the KTM. It was insane. Stock, it was...
It’s always funny how much everyones opinions differ.

I was always blown away with the sheer power of the KTM. It was insane. Stock, it was faster than my Tom Morgan CR. The YZ does everything well. I only had a steel frame YZ125 (and an Aluminum framed one) and prefer everything about the Aluminum gen, minus handling.

I will say, I’m trying to replace my 19 YZ250 with a 02-07 CR or 04+ RM250. Mainly just to have something different.
H4L wrote:
All good.. No disrespect to TMR, but my sources at the time back in 05 let me know his CR case reed specs were not on...
All good.. No disrespect to TMR, but my sources at the time back in 05 let me know his CR case reed specs were not on par with other tuners. I was looking to modify the cyl. / head on the 03 & he was one of the engine tuners I considered & spoke with. From my understanding after talking with a couple of fellow riders that had his mods (both 02 CR’s) the engine had some modest gains from low to mid.. The top end remained unchanged.
I also considered & spoke with Varner Motorsports, Lamson porting & PC.. I ended going with PC after doing my homework & feel it was the right decision for $300 (back in 05). No regretz..
Yea make sense. But my point is stock form it’s not better than either of the bikes i mentioned. Can’t compare a modded CR to stock bikes and say it was beat 250 2 stroke ever. Mod the others too then compare

The Shop

Neverclear
11/24/2020 7:21pm
KMC440 wrote:
Had a few but the one I miss the most and I've mentioned it here before. '82 yz490. First "real" dirt bike as well. Didn't do...
Had a few but the one I miss the most and I've mentioned it here before. '82 yz490. First "real" dirt bike as well. Didn't do ANYTHING well other than scare the hell out of you by getting "there" (wherever "there" was) too fast for the brakes keep you "there". Usually ended up "over there" and had to ride back a little ways to "there".Berms were your friend and you NEVER went out for first practice as every corner ended up being "back there".

God in heaven it was fun !!
My buddy had one and that description was spot-on. I was getting white knuckles just reading that & remembering my few rides on it.
H4L
11/24/2020 8:50pm
hypermoto wrote:
It’s always funny how much everyones opinions differ. I was always blown away with the sheer power of the KTM. It was insane. Stock, it was...
It’s always funny how much everyones opinions differ.

I was always blown away with the sheer power of the KTM. It was insane. Stock, it was faster than my Tom Morgan CR. The YZ does everything well. I only had a steel frame YZ125 (and an Aluminum framed one) and prefer everything about the Aluminum gen, minus handling.

I will say, I’m trying to replace my 19 YZ250 with a 02-07 CR or 04+ RM250. Mainly just to have something different.
H4L wrote:
All good.. No disrespect to TMR, but my sources at the time back in 05 let me know his CR case reed specs were not on...
All good.. No disrespect to TMR, but my sources at the time back in 05 let me know his CR case reed specs were not on par with other tuners. I was looking to modify the cyl. / head on the 03 & he was one of the engine tuners I considered & spoke with. From my understanding after talking with a couple of fellow riders that had his mods (both 02 CR’s) the engine had some modest gains from low to mid.. The top end remained unchanged.
I also considered & spoke with Varner Motorsports, Lamson porting & PC.. I ended going with PC after doing my homework & feel it was the right decision for $300 (back in 05). No regretz..
hypermoto wrote:
Yea make sense. But my point is stock form it’s not better than either of the bikes i mentioned. Can’t compare a modded CR to stock...
Yea make sense. But my point is stock form it’s not better than either of the bikes i mentioned. Can’t compare a modded CR to stock bikes and say it was beat 250 2 stroke ever. Mod the others too then compare
I put that in my original post about the CR having mods.. Your title didn’t specify about it being stock or modified. I thought it was odd that you started a thread about a favorite bike & then respond the way you did.
As mentioned all good. Carry on..
hypermoto
11/24/2020 9:52pm Edited Date/Time 11/24/2020 9:58pm
H4L wrote:
I put that in my original post about the CR having mods.. Your title didn’t specify about it being stock or modified. I thought it was...
I put that in my original post about the CR having mods.. Your title didn’t specify about it being stock or modified. I thought it was odd that you started a thread about a favorite bike & then respond the way you did.
As mentioned all good. Carry on..
Sorry I didn’t read your original post correctly. I thought you were stating that a 03 Cr250 has the best 250 engine, best chassis and best suspension. I think you are saying best combo of the 3. I think many could agree with that

“H4L: It’s the complete package with the best 250 2t engine, chassis & suspension combo..”
hypermoto
11/24/2020 9:54pm
AH387 wrote:
Always thought that YZ125s were the best bikes for me. My 97 (first one) felt so much better than my friends' 125s of other brands, back...
Always thought that YZ125s were the best bikes for me. My 97 (first one) felt so much better than my friends' 125s of other brands, back then. And it always stayed that way with the models after. That bike always feels like home to me. I have bought and sold a few as an adult, for a 2nd bike. Bought another last year and told myself that I'll just hang on to this one. So in short, all of my YZ125s but currently my '19.
That is a beautiful bike
11/24/2020 10:00pm
I’ve had a lot of cool bikes, but my 2020 SXF 450 is probably the best bike I’ve ever owned
Chance1216
11/25/2020 5:06am Edited Date/Time 11/25/2020 5:20am
Chance1216 wrote:
Back when I received mine, it was a gift from my grandfather for graduating high school. We were going through tough times in 95 after my...
Back when I received mine, it was a gift from my grandfather for graduating high school. We were going through tough times in 95 after my grandmother passed.

It was the funnest bike the way that thing could just come on the pipe and sing. The only thing I had to watch out for was the lock to lock bar swap when decelerating. Definitely a pucker factor. We did the poor man’s steering stabilizer by tightening the steering stem nut a bit more then specd and it helped a bit. I lived in So Cal at the time and didn’t have my own car and, very rarely asked to use my grandfathers truck. I’d push that thing about six miles to sneak into a track that was closed down (Ascot) at the time to ride a couple hours till the cops kicked me out. After about the fourth time they’d just wave and I knew it was time to go home and push it back. I miss that bike and I often browse Craigslist Los Angeles hoping to find it. Unfortunately, it was stolen a few months before I left for the PNW in 98.

There’s nothing wrong with compromising to get where you need to be. I think that’s pretty cool towing a trailer with a Bug.
Gworm wrote:
You pushed it six miles to ride? Probably uphill both ways!! Just kidding. That is some serious dedication. I don’t think I could have ridden after...
You pushed it six miles to ride? Probably uphill both ways!!

Just kidding. That is some serious dedication. I don’t think I could have ridden after pushing my bike six miles!
And in the snow 😂. I carried my riding boots and water in a large backpack and wore tennis shoes when i pushed it. I think just glancing at the map it’s about six miles. I didn’t have a car and there was a closed track to ride all by myself lol. I had to get there.
Chance1216
11/25/2020 5:28am
Chance1216 wrote:
Back when I received mine, it was a gift from my grandfather for graduating high school. We were going through tough times in 95 after my...
Back when I received mine, it was a gift from my grandfather for graduating high school. We were going through tough times in 95 after my grandmother passed.

It was the funnest bike the way that thing could just come on the pipe and sing. The only thing I had to watch out for was the lock to lock bar swap when decelerating. Definitely a pucker factor. We did the poor man’s steering stabilizer by tightening the steering stem nut a bit more then specd and it helped a bit. I lived in So Cal at the time and didn’t have my own car and, very rarely asked to use my grandfathers truck. I’d push that thing about six miles to sneak into a track that was closed down (Ascot) at the time to ride a couple hours till the cops kicked me out. After about the fourth time they’d just wave and I knew it was time to go home and push it back. I miss that bike and I often browse Craigslist Los Angeles hoping to find it. Unfortunately, it was stolen a few months before I left for the PNW in 98.

There’s nothing wrong with compromising to get where you need to be. I think that’s pretty cool towing a trailer with a Bug.
Gworm wrote:
You pushed it six miles to ride? Probably uphill both ways!! Just kidding. That is some serious dedication. I don’t think I could have ridden after...
You pushed it six miles to ride? Probably uphill both ways!!

Just kidding. That is some serious dedication. I don’t think I could have ridden after pushing my bike six miles!
Chance1216 wrote:
And in the snow 😂. I carried my riding boots and water in a large backpack and wore tennis shoes when i pushed it. I think...
And in the snow 😂. I carried my riding boots and water in a large backpack and wore tennis shoes when i pushed it. I think just glancing at the map it’s about six miles. I didn’t have a car and there was a closed track to ride all by myself lol. I had to get there.
Love mine!!!!
hypermoto
11/25/2020 6:22am
Chance1216 wrote:
Love mine!!!! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/11/25/461560/s1200_2A296419_536F_4599_8E60_B9E1152DB842.jpg[/img]
Love mine!!!!
I love those CR’s. Yours looks clean!
JWACK
11/25/2020 6:58am
Not available off the shelf. 06 CR250 chassis with fully built 2000 engine and kit suspension.
Hell of a bike!
Off the shelf- any of my 04-08 rm250s with a little suspension work.

AH387
11/25/2020 7:08am
JWACK wrote:
Not available off the shelf. 06 CR250 chassis with fully built 2000 engine and kit suspension. Hell of a bike! Off the shelf- any of my...
Not available off the shelf. 06 CR250 chassis with fully built 2000 engine and kit suspension.
Hell of a bike!
Off the shelf- any of my 04-08 rm250s with a little suspension work.

Very cool. You managed to capture the high points of 2 generations and combine them into 1 badass machine.

Post a reply to: Your favorite Dirt Bike

The Latest