Your claim to fame

motoxxx599
Fantasy
985th
8/18/2020 12:30pm
I thought of another one .. I was mountain biking in Rowlett, TX one day and had just come off the trail back to the parking lot for a short break. I was sitting on my buddies tailgate when 2 white panel vans pulled up and parked near us. Four guys got out and unloaded around 8 bikes. Shortly after a black Suburban pulled up and some more guys got out including former President George W Bush. Two of the guys stayed in the parking lot and the rest took off into the woods with W somewhere in the middle. I waited about 5 minutes and went in behind them thinking I would catch up to them fairly easy seeing as W was in his 70s. I rode my ass off on this trail, probably the hardest I've ever gone on a bicycle and when I made it back to the parking lot the vans and the suburban were gone. Apparently W hauls ass on a bicycle!
stillwelding
8/18/2020 1:46pm
Created the White boot trend for Sinisalo in 1981. Gaerne promised to give an exclusive for 1 year. Answer Products had them in 6 months. Still popular today.

Robgvx
8/18/2020 1:56pm
just James wrote:
Flying into LaGuardia (sp?) a few years back on a United 737. We approached the runway at what seemed like 90°, and at the last second...
Flying into LaGuardia (sp?) a few years back on a United 737. We approached the runway at what seemed like 90°, and at the last second, we did a hard left turn just before touching down. Evidently the pilot misjudged a bit, and we touched down really crossed up. We hit hard on the right landing gear, and I heard the engines throttle up. Next thing I knew, we were airborne again. Kind of a commercial jet touch and go. I was thinking "THAT WAS COOL!", and in fact said so to the lady sitting beside me.
My wife was sitting several rows ahead of me, and happened to be taking a video of the landing from a window just aft of the wing. What I hadn't realized (and she got on video) was that the wing tip actually hit the runway hard enough to tear off the part that flips up at the end of the wing.
We circled for a while, with another plane flying just to the right of us for a few minutes. We landed, and did a VERY quick stop, surrounded by fire trucks.
As we got off of the plane, I was telling the flight crew what a cool landing that was, and jokingly asked if we could do that again. I didn't know about the wing hitting the runway until I found my wife in the terminal. Lol
Scary!

I was in a airplane emergency landing once. We’d been circling for ages and wondered what was going on. He spoke to the crew over the PA, simply mentioning a code, and we could tell by their faces that something was up.

He eventually told us what the score was. He said that he couldn’t be sure that the landing gear was down so it would be a precautionary emergency landing. Next thing we know (within seconds) we’re coming in to land and he gives the “BRACE! BRACE!” command.

I sneaked a peek through the window to see the runway lined with emergency vehicles.

It was all fine (we did have wheels). However I can tell you, it gets your attention. And afterwards too, when you think about later...
ktmdan
8/18/2020 2:56pm
I got 76th at the final Red Bull last man standing 😂.

My frame broke at the foot peg mounts during qualifying. It broke because Justin Soule came up on me hot and so I launched a single to flat and snapped it. We drove home 2.5 hours, my dad welded the frame over night and came back to race the next day. The race started 25 at a time so the way I look at it, I won the last row 😂.
I teamed up with Maria Foresburg and another guy during the race and we all helped each other.

They took you out of the race when the leader put 2 hours lead on you. We went about 6.5 miles...

I also got smoked by Andrew Short in a local pro XC race recently...

The Shop

cousinskeet
8/18/2020 4:38pm
CHaynes wrote:
Theres a few, but my friend Jerod Stoner and I (mainly Jerod) beat this guy in his own race. That's kind of neat.

I know Chris. Lol
8/18/2020 4:53pm
Early 70's, as a 6 year old spectator at a race in West Columbia TX, I got lost. Parents eventually found me, swinging on great vines with Steve Stackable.

Much, much later I won the Intermediate class at a big race and got interviewed with Dennis Hawthorne, who won the pro class. He shook my hand (nearly breaking it..lol) and said Good Ride!

Racerx336
8/18/2020 4:56pm
Only got lapped by James Stewart once at Loretta’s in 2001 in 125 Schoolboy.
Electro21
Fantasy
75th
8/18/2020 5:46pm
My Dad used to help Gary Emig (obviously Jeff’s Dad) with drag cars way back in the day. I was able to spend 5 years being stationed at the White House. Was able to give GuyB, Aaron Plessinger, his Dad, DC and some Mx Sports people a tour. My picture and duty isn’t necessarily a reflection of my political stance. Have to put in a disclaimer.

8/19/2020 12:41am
Ok, im gonna claim it...why not! My stats from the readers poll's for Best Punk Drummer...Im no longer playing currently after 25 years with my former...
Ok, im gonna claim it...why not! My stats from the readers poll's for Best Punk Drummer...Im no longer playing currently after 25 years with my former band. If interested, you can listen to a podcast i did right here. Talk Moto XXX in the begging and the rest band, music and my termination

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/39-strung-out-transmission-alpha-…

Note, Josh Freese has played drums in the studio on some of the biggest albums you've heard, currently has been playing with Sting for the past few years. One of the most sought after studio drummers.

DRUM! Magazine - 2015:
1st. Brooks Wackerman - Bad Religion
2nd. Jordan Burns - Strung Out
3rd. Brandon Barnes - Rise Against
4th. Jorma Vik - The Bronx
5th. Brandon Pertzborn - Black Flag

DRUM! Magazine - 2012:
1st. Jordan Burns - Strung Out
2nd. Brooks Wackerman - Bad Religion
3rd. Jonathan Diener - The Swellers
4th. Chris Thatcher - Streetlight Manifesto
5th. Dave Raun - Lagwagon

DRUM! -2010:
1st. Travis Barker - Blink-182
2nd. Tre Cool - Green Day
3rd. Josh Freese - The Vandals
4th. Brooks Wackerman - Bad Religion
5th. Jordan Burns - Strung Out

Modern Drummer Magazine - 2005:
4th. Darren Pfeiffer - Gold Finger

DRUM! Magazine - 2004:
2nd. Josh Freese - The Vandals
3rd. Jordan Burns - Strung Out
4th. Tre Cool - Green Day

DRUM! Magazine - 2003:
3rd. Byron McMackin - Pennywise
4th. Josh Freese - The Vandals

Moto Wise...Starting Moto XXX and still being current with the brand and finally having it back solely to myself with no partners!!! It's insane looking back at where we came from..the list of riders that rode for our team and all that Moto XXX accomplished..SX win, Nationals win, Multiple Top Privateer awards, etc...yup, im quite proud of it and quite proud that so many people still remember and are supporting the brand, especially the younger MX riders that are repping!

www.motoxxx.com
www.instagram.com/motoxxxofficial
mx295 wrote:
Thanks for all that you have done for mx. In the late 90s I followed your mechanic/box van driver to some supercrosses when I wrenched for...
Thanks for all that you have done for mx. In the late 90s I followed your mechanic/box van driver to some supercrosses when I wrenched for a team that also had a box van at the time. Lewis & Lawrence were your riders then... Also a few songs on my Spotify weekly playlist always has some of your work on it. ✊🏻🇺🇸
Right on...Appreciate the kind words! That must of been 2000 im thinking? Good times for sure..lots of good times!

www.motoxxx.com
8/19/2020 12:50am
Ok, im gonna claim it...why not! My stats from the readers poll's for Best Punk Drummer...Im no longer playing currently after 25 years with my former...
Ok, im gonna claim it...why not! My stats from the readers poll's for Best Punk Drummer...Im no longer playing currently after 25 years with my former band. If interested, you can listen to a podcast i did right here. Talk Moto XXX in the begging and the rest band, music and my termination

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/39-strung-out-transmission-alpha-…

Note, Josh Freese has played drums in the studio on some of the biggest albums you've heard, currently has been playing with Sting for the past few years. One of the most sought after studio drummers.

DRUM! Magazine - 2015:
1st. Brooks Wackerman - Bad Religion
3rd. Brandon Barnes - Rise Against
4th. Jorma Vik - The Bronx
5th. Brandon Pertzborn - Black Flag

DRUM! Magazine - 2012:
1st. Jordan Burns - Strung Out
2nd. Brooks Wackerman - Bad Religion
3rd. Jonathan Diener - The Swellers
4th. Chris Thatcher - Streetlight Manifesto
5th. Dave Raun - Lagwagon

DRUM! -2010:
4th. Brooks Wackerman - Bad Religion

Modern Drummer Magazine - 2005:
4th. Darren Pfeiffer - Gold Finger

DRUM! Magazine - 2004:
2nd. Josh Freese - The Vandals
3rd. Jordan Burns - Strung Out
4th. Tre Cool - Green Day

DRUM! Magazine - 2003:
3rd. Byron McMackin - Pennywise
4th. Josh Freese - The Vandals

Moto Wise...Starting Moto XXX and still being current with the brand and finally having it back solely to myself with no partners!!! It's insane looking back at where we came from..the list of riders that rode for our team and all that Moto XXX accomplished..SX win, Nationals win, Multiple Top Privateer awards, etc...yup, im quite proud of it and quite proud that so many people still remember and are supporting the brand, especially the younger MX riders that are repping!

www.motoxxx.com
levimx22 wrote:
one of my favorite jerseys i have. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/08/14/443690/s1200_90AC7CE9_B7F6_4D0E_9356_8983CFDADA7E.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/08/14/443689/s1200_EC372591_7581_4CE4_9E47_5D3F94E8B876.jpg[/img]
one of my favorite jerseys i have.

Awesome, ol Lucky Lewis #23..holeshot master. That was indeed some pretty sweet looking gear along with some great sponsors we had back then.

Fact, we were the first team that Akrapovic ever sponsored in SX/MX. We were their gateway into the moto scene in which they've of course had a ton of success with...Straight from Slovenia... Thanks for posting!

www.motoxxx.com
mx295
8/19/2020 1:39am
Right on...Appreciate the kind words! That must of been 2000 im thinking? Good times for sure..lots of good times!

www.motoxxx.com
Yep it was 2000. The mechanic/driver was Australian? I remember he had an accent and on the back of your box van it said.. Riders Lawrence Lewis. That stuck out because that was McGraths best friends name at the time lol ✊🏻🇺🇸
mx295
8/19/2020 6:58am
Created the White boot trend for Sinisalo in 1981. Gaerne promised to give an exclusive for 1 year. Answer Products had them in 6 months. Still...
Created the White boot trend for Sinisalo in 1981. Gaerne promised to give an exclusive for 1 year. Answer Products had them in 6 months. Still popular today.

I got the black ones for Christmas one year when I was a kid. I put them on after I unwrapped them and wore them the whole day, even going with my parents to visit a few people across town. 😂
Mike_Lawlor
8/19/2020 8:08am
Aside from riding since I was 3 and am now a local A rider I can wheelie anything with wheels and a motor on it till...
Aside from riding since I was 3 and am now a local A rider I can wheelie anything with wheels and a motor on it till it runs out of gas. My record is 23 miles. Had to stop cause the cops front number was literally almost touching my wheel. I’ve calmed down a lot since then I’m the last 5 or so years but I still do it sometimes.

duckdog77 wrote:
Stunt rode myself back in the day. Probably around 2008-09. Was at a lot in Indy with Sit down Steve from street fighters, twite, borne, Graham...
Stunt rode myself back in the day. Probably around 2008-09. Was at a lot in Indy with Sit down Steve from street fighters, twite, borne, Graham, and Kyle Sliger to name drop a few of the bigger names that were there that day. We all got kicked out of the lot. Actually made it in one of their videos from that day I can never find it any more though. Was doing a spreader when the cops rolled in. We left went to a gas station and sit down steve and someone are arguing about who can do the most circle wheelies in a row. They proceed to unload their bikes and head to the middle of an 8 lane intersection and stop traffic to see who was right. Dudes were crazy.

My record 5.4 miles. On an F4i. It blew up. Decided long wheelies were to expensive and never tried to beat it.
I know all of them quite well still talk to all of them. If you YouTube search Section518 or Streetfighterz Ride of the century you will find a lot of clips of all of us.
devotid
Fantasy
367th
8/19/2020 9:51am
I rode the Jackpine Enduro with Jeff Stanton a few years ago. He was so polite when I let him by each time. haha

Also 1996-97 Stock Buggy Michigan State Champion. (RC Cars)
8/19/2020 10:13am
Most people would consider winning the "Maintenance Professional of the Year" award for Nellis Air Force Base and the USAF Tactical Fighter Command the more prominent claim to fame.

However, personally......I count the opportunity to fly an F-16 fighter jet and pull close to 9Gs while in control of the aircraft that came as a reward for winning the title (the 2nd such incentive flight I was fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to take part of) as the more noteworthy experience.

This clip only shows us pulling 8.1Gs (reading can be seen at the bottom of the left hand vertical scale shown on our heads up displays) but later while at the controls again we pulled 8.7Gs. Never experienced any tunnel vision, black & white vision or became light headed/passed out at all)

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
8/19/2020 12:29pm
I shot a good photo. Once. Wink
just James
8/19/2020 12:31pm
GuyB wrote:
I shot a good photo. Once. Wink
Pics, or it didn't happen.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
8/19/2020 12:46pm
just James wrote:
Pics, or it didn't happen.

coastie44
8/19/2020 2:46pm
just James wrote:
Flying into LaGuardia (sp?) a few years back on a United 737. We approached the runway at what seemed like 90°, and at the last second...
Flying into LaGuardia (sp?) a few years back on a United 737. We approached the runway at what seemed like 90°, and at the last second, we did a hard left turn just before touching down. Evidently the pilot misjudged a bit, and we touched down really crossed up. We hit hard on the right landing gear, and I heard the engines throttle up. Next thing I knew, we were airborne again. Kind of a commercial jet touch and go. I was thinking "THAT WAS COOL!", and in fact said so to the lady sitting beside me.
My wife was sitting several rows ahead of me, and happened to be taking a video of the landing from a window just aft of the wing. What I hadn't realized (and she got on video) was that the wing tip actually hit the runway hard enough to tear off the part that flips up at the end of the wing.
We circled for a while, with another plane flying just to the right of us for a few minutes. We landed, and did a VERY quick stop, surrounded by fire trucks.
As we got off of the plane, I was telling the flight crew what a cool landing that was, and jokingly asked if we could do that again. I didn't know about the wing hitting the runway until I found my wife in the terminal. Lol
Robgvx wrote:
Scary! I was in a airplane emergency landing once. We’d been circling for ages and wondered what was going on. He spoke to the crew over...
Scary!

I was in a airplane emergency landing once. We’d been circling for ages and wondered what was going on. He spoke to the crew over the PA, simply mentioning a code, and we could tell by their faces that something was up.

He eventually told us what the score was. He said that he couldn’t be sure that the landing gear was down so it would be a precautionary emergency landing. Next thing we know (within seconds) we’re coming in to land and he gives the “BRACE! BRACE!” command.

I sneaked a peek through the window to see the runway lined with emergency vehicles.

It was all fine (we did have wheels). However I can tell you, it gets your attention. And afterwards too, when you think about later...
This very same thing happened to me about 6 months ago. We diverted to a small town in California with a long runway and then braced for landing. In our case, they had lost control to steer the front wheel.
coastie44
8/19/2020 2:51pm
Oh...I have another, New York Yankees star Aaron Judge grew up in the same tiny town i grew up in Linden, ca 1000 people my mom...
Oh...I have another, New York Yankees star Aaron Judge grew up in the same tiny town i grew up in Linden, ca 1000 people my mom was his school bus driver when he was in high school and knows him really well she also drove the baseball teams to their games. I see him here every xmas
My parents (in Stockton) go to church with his parents. They get to go with his parents every time they come to play the A's. When he first got to the bigs I was like "he won't make it far." I guess I was wrong. :-)
Chance1216
8/19/2020 4:28pm Edited Date/Time 8/19/2020 4:28pm
I had a girlfriend cheat on me while I was working outta town when I was younger.
About a week later she walked in on me banging her mom.
Yep, she was a MILF.
omalley
8/19/2020 6:45pm Edited Date/Time 8/19/2020 6:50pm
Most people would consider winning the "Maintenance Professional of the Year" award for Nellis Air Force Base and the USAF Tactical Fighter Command the more prominent...
Most people would consider winning the "Maintenance Professional of the Year" award for Nellis Air Force Base and the USAF Tactical Fighter Command the more prominent claim to fame.

However, personally......I count the opportunity to fly an F-16 fighter jet and pull close to 9Gs while in control of the aircraft that came as a reward for winning the title (the 2nd such incentive flight I was fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to take part of) as the more noteworthy experience.

This clip only shows us pulling 8.1Gs (reading can be seen at the bottom of the left hand vertical scale shown on our heads up displays) but later while at the controls again we pulled 8.7Gs. Never experienced any tunnel vision, black & white vision or became light headed/passed out at all)

Jealous. #1 bucket list item. #2 would be a P51D.

Loved the “full throttle-you won’t hurt it.”

Gotta love fighters, lol
garagedog
Fantasy
687th
8/19/2020 8:50pm
1st place National Enduro "B" class, 1996 (Coalinga, CA). It was a tough one, everyone was way behind on time, tired and discouraged. I was just hungry and wanted to finish so I could eat. Survived on water and snickers.
gsxr6
8/19/2020 11:29pm
Made a jump and cleared the bed of my uncle's 63ish Chevy truck, slipped the pedals and busted my nuts. I was 5. Rode down the hill in dunsmuir ca that has the belknap fountain at the top, couldn't stop( steep steep paved road, crappy huffy hand brakes) after borrowing my friends mountain bike, I couldn't stop as I was 6 and used to a kick brake. Ran through the road at bottom, hit the parking curb and did three front flips before landing on the second to last railroad track with my forehead. Compound compressed skull fracture, helicopter flight I don't remember, holes drilled in my skull to use hooks to pull it up off my prefrontal cortex so I'd stop being blind. Woke up at the hospital 3 days later, couldn't remember any of it( still don't), mirror in front of me, front half of skull shaved, Frankenstein scar my whole hairline. They brought my first grade glass by bus the hour to Redding to show support. There is a fence at the bottom of that hill between the train tracks now. I'm famous in that town for that. Did my right tib fib the week junior year started, bmx loop out , 5 months with an external fixater and bench pressed 250lbs after being allowed back into pe once the leg was healed. Strongest guy on the football team only did 275😆 5 months on crutches. God I wish I was still that strong. Rode my bmx bike with one leg for 5 months, strengthened the non broken leg, then did the same with the bad leg once it healed. Ever seen joe theisman, or Alex Smiths leg injury? Mine was the same, but the infection I got wasn't quite as bad as Alex Smiths. After doing an acl on the left leg later I'd take the break again if I had a choice over one or the other.
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
8/20/2020 12:45am
Created the White boot trend for Sinisalo in 1981. Gaerne promised to give an exclusive for 1 year. Answer Products had them in 6 months. Still...

Legit
rongi#401
8/20/2020 1:03am
2 seconds of accidentally being in an on the pipe video
gsxr6
8/20/2020 1:05am
rongi#401 wrote:
Seems like it would be really embarrassing if anyone in your family ever saw it....akward
rohr397
8/20/2020 11:08am
I rarely say much about it, but considering the theme of the thread, I figured I'd chime in...

Back in 2017 I met Donn at San Diego SX and asked him for advice on getting into the industry. Somehow I convinced him to hire me as an editor at TransWorld despite having just graduated from college with no relevant job experience. I packed everything up, moved to California, and tried to learn and grow as much as possible during the two years I spent there. Needless to say, it was a life changing experience, and the whole crew there was great. I probably crammed more life experience into that short window than I'd gotten out of the previous 23 years. Obviously, things came to an abrupt end last year when we were bought out, and I don't think anyone was happy about how that played out, but arguably we've all ended up in much better places now because of it.

That's really my only claim to fame, and with the website gone there's not nearly as much to show for it. I've still got a collection of mags and a hard drive filled with photos that are fun to look back on... minus the entire 2018 MXoN file from that I forgot to offload from the computer before it got wiped (oops). The memories live on, though. Good times!

Lastly... a shameless plug for the rest of the dudes:

www.swapmotolive.com
www.instagram.com/align.with.us
www.instagram.com/creativevision_digitalmedia
just James
8/20/2020 12:49pm
Chance1216 wrote:
I had a girlfriend cheat on me while I was working outta town when I was younger. About a week later she walked in on me...
I had a girlfriend cheat on me while I was working outta town when I was younger.
About a week later she walked in on me banging her mom.
Yep, she was a MILF.
Jerry Springer know about this? Sounds like a "made for television" event if I ever heard of one.

Post a reply to: Your claim to fame

The Latest