Your claim to fame

Steve125
Fantasy
2759th
8/14/2020 7:08am
Steve125 wrote:
I am a habitual product of unfinished business. I started racing MX in 1978.. Over the years I've won a couple Championships and had some top...
I am a habitual product of unfinished business. I started racing MX in 1978.. Over the years I've won a couple Championships and had some top 3 points finishes, but then I tend to walk away for 20 years and go do an entirely different motorsport...then I'll get the itch to do MX again. I'll again give 100%, get semi fast and comfortable on the bike, only to walk away again. I'm running out of 20 year breaks. I've done this with bikes and cars. 2020 was going to be my first consecutive year ever, racing the same class on the same tracks, in the same organization. That all went to shit with Covid. Still deciding on what to focus on in 21.
I'd like to add a footnote of "fame claiming" for the time I holeshot 3 outta 4 A class motos (#85) at Unadilla the first year they ever allowed Amateurs on the National track in 1993. Coming out of Gravity Cavity with the lead is something I'll never forget. I actually fist pumped while in the air on lap one. lol. As Dungey would say... I was "Super Pumped"
And also proud that I got to mow the grass down during first practice.

duckdog77
8/14/2020 7:49am
Never went anywhere with racing moto. Won locally quite a bit on 80’s and my first and only 125 race. Dad never took us to big events. We just did it for family fun.

My claim to fame would be painting cars. I paint for a big national chain. High school in auto body at the career center I won student of the year. In 2016 I received my companies second highest award for work place excellence. They flew the wife and I out to Phoenix for a few days all expenses paid. Got to go on a utv tour of the area. Awesome place!!! Also got to attend their big kick off for the year. Was a cool experience and felt good to be recognized for putting in the hard work and long hours.
tuttle425
8/14/2020 8:16am
Steve125 wrote:
I am a habitual product of unfinished business. I started racing MX in 1978.. Over the years I've won a couple Championships and had some top...
I am a habitual product of unfinished business. I started racing MX in 1978.. Over the years I've won a couple Championships and had some top 3 points finishes, but then I tend to walk away for 20 years and go do an entirely different motorsport...then I'll get the itch to do MX again. I'll again give 100%, get semi fast and comfortable on the bike, only to walk away again. I'm running out of 20 year breaks. I've done this with bikes and cars. 2020 was going to be my first consecutive year ever, racing the same class on the same tracks, in the same organization. That all went to shit with Covid. Still deciding on what to focus on in 21.
Steve125 wrote:
I'd like to add a footnote of "fame claiming" for the time I holeshot 3 outta 4 A class motos (#85) at Unadilla the first year...
I'd like to add a footnote of "fame claiming" for the time I holeshot 3 outta 4 A class motos (#85) at Unadilla the first year they ever allowed Amateurs on the National track in 1993. Coming out of Gravity Cavity with the lead is something I'll never forget. I actually fist pumped while in the air on lap one. lol. As Dungey would say... I was "Super Pumped"
And also proud that I got to mow the grass down during first practice.

Look at those beautiful, big numbers plates. You can actually read the numbers. What a concept.
jleews6
8/14/2020 8:19am
I raised two great kids but I also have helped alot of kids over the years. I hold " ride days " at my house for kids, I sponsor some local kids. I do free riding schools and I have trained alot of great kids that really look up to me. "My kids" in total have 8 virginia state championships and Kylee was the full gas sprint enduro national champ.the last Pic is when I surprised him with a new bike. Sorry to brag but helping kids mean alot to me

The Shop

coastie44
8/14/2020 8:20am Edited Date/Time 8/14/2020 8:29am
Non-moto:

(1) While I'm not internationally famous as a punk rock drummer, I did have the chance as a 16-17 year old for my band of high school buddies to open for the Dead Kennedys, FEAR, DOA, Black Flag, and other early (and now very famous) punk bands in the 80's.

(2) I had a huge vert ramp (for skateboarding) in my backyard for a while in my late teens, early 20's. Hosted a ton of rippers on it, locals and otherwise.

(3) After punk and skateboarding made me locally famous (lol), I got a degree in physics from Berkeley, then started what is now a 20+ year long career as a physicist in medicine with a couple of patents in the field along the way.

Moto: Uh, I paid/sponsored the RacerX Gas Card twice lol.
JBlain619
8/14/2020 8:32am
Won a couple moto's at LL. Coached a couple kids to national titles. 2 of my guys are on the same pro team now. Agent for a current factory rider and an up and coming 85 factory rider. All the kids I have helped are not only good riders but just great kids.
Premix4Life
Fantasy
1306th
8/14/2020 8:43am
got lapped by RC before completing lap 1 at Englishtown/KROC in the mid-90's!
Boomslang
Fantasy
657th
8/14/2020 8:48am
jleews6 wrote:
I raised two great kids but I also have helped alot of kids over the years. I hold " ride days " at my house for...
I raised two great kids but I also have helped alot of kids over the years. I hold " ride days " at my house for kids, I sponsor some local kids. I do free riding schools and I have trained alot of great kids that really look up to me. "My kids" in total have 8 virginia state championships and Kylee was the full gas sprint enduro national champ.the last Pic is when I surprised him with a new bike. Sorry to brag but helping kids mean alot to me

We need more people around like you Sir, really awesome what are doing for the kids and MX community. All the best to you.
8/14/2020 8:49am
I won TWO spelling bee's in elementary school.
stonerb wrote:
hey, me too! i remember when i went to the big one with all of the winners from the schools in my area, i fucked up...
hey, me too! i remember when i went to the big one with all of the winners from the schools in my area, i fucked up spelling E-L-E-M-E-N-T-A-R-Y. what a dipshit!
Lol, at my school you didn't even advance to anything else, it was just that one. After winning the fucker twice, I lost in my last year because I misspelled "elevator", and I wasn't even close. Talk about a dipshit!
Johnny Ringo
8/14/2020 9:03am
Got banned from attending any Boise State football games at Albertsons stadium, without even being a student there.

Moto wise, I accidentally took Matt Bisceglia out when we were on 85s after a moto long battle. Then his mom wanted to fight me the next moto
racerx217
8/14/2020 9:04am
I bring nothing to the table.
sandtrack315
8/14/2020 9:49am Edited Date/Time 8/14/2020 9:49am
2.0 GPA in High School because I only cared about racing dirt bikes. 4.2 GPA / Valedictorian of my class at Columbia because I realized dirt...
2.0 GPA in High School because I only cared about racing dirt bikes.

4.2 GPA / Valedictorian of my class at Columbia because I realized dirt bikes (and life) cost a lot of money.
tuttle425 wrote:
How does one get into Columbia with a 2.0 gpa in high school?
I transferred in. I got all A's at Orange Coast College for a year, and a Columbia recruiter was at a talk / speech thing I gave on dealing with depression by racing dirt bikes, I wrote an essay about the same thing, and then I aced their entrance exam, which is basically a mini-SAT.

Simply put, mostly luck, plus dirt bikes and hard work.
Nairb#70
8/14/2020 9:52am
Good chance that this morning, I dropped the biggest duece in the history of humanity.
Nairb#70
8/14/2020 10:05am
Boomslang wrote:
I saw this hot chick approaching me...then I realized it was Sandra Bullock...I did not have the balls to try talk to her and without even...
I saw this hot chick approaching me...then I realized it was Sandra Bullock...I did not have the balls to try talk to her and without even thinking I took out my cheap ol disposable camera and took a pic. She just smiled at me and left me speechless.

Good opening line would have been: " So how does it feel to have the same last name as a synonym for a man's testicles? Laughing
dirtdog36
8/14/2020 10:07am
Ha! I feel your pain. I almost got lapped in a 5 lap race on 60's by Ezra Lusk during my first trip to Gatorback
onefiveight
8/14/2020 10:30am
Spent about a year covertly installing tracking devices on Taliban drug runners vehicles.
dcg141
8/14/2020 10:44am
Met Chris Robinson from the Black Crow's when they were an opening act at a club in Raleigh NC in the late 80's. I told him he sounded like Steve Marriott from Humble Pie and he had never heard of them. Years later a heard an interview with him and he listed Humble Pie as one of his influences...true story. Also tried to pick up Sheryl Crow at the same club..she wasn't having any of it. Got 6th in Vet B at the ranch in 92.
davistld01
8/14/2020 11:21am
Pretty much nothing, except that I rode in the 125 Support class at the 1974 Houston Astrodome supercross race. This Texas youngster had never seen whoops or jumps even that big! Things were going better than expected until I over jumped the 1974 version of a "double jump" and completely crashed my brains out. Spent the night in a Houston hospital.

Oh, well...
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
8/14/2020 11:32am
I got lapped by McGrath and Pastrana at a Carlsbad Christmas Gran Prix. I told my wife, "These guys are probably going to lap me more than once, get a picture right before they do so I'll have a picture of me in front of them" The picture didn't happen. Getting lapped did though Laughing
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
8/14/2020 11:36am
Boomslang wrote:
I saw this hot chick approaching me...then I realized it was Sandra Bullock...I did not have the balls to try talk to her and without even...
I saw this hot chick approaching me...then I realized it was Sandra Bullock...I did not have the balls to try talk to her and without even thinking I took out my cheap ol disposable camera and took a pic. She just smiled at me and left me speechless.

We sat next to her and Jesse James at speedway once. She was super cool, Jesse cool guyed us, but in all fairness we were nobody's eyeballing his chick (at the time) Laughing
Ingjr1
8/14/2020 11:36am
Woke up Dick Burelson at 6am the morning after a National Enduro. He wasn't too happy but understood after I told him why. Really nice guy, the whole Husky outfit was back in the 70's.
str8line
8/14/2020 11:41am
racerx217 wrote:
I bring nothing to the table.

At a minimum you're from Michigan, so you must be cool.
str8line
8/14/2020 11:50am Edited Date/Time 8/14/2020 12:46pm
Ingjr1 wrote:
Woke up Dick Burelson at 6am the morning after a National Enduro. He wasn't too happy but understood after I told him why. Really nice guy...
Woke up Dick Burelson at 6am the morning after a National Enduro. He wasn't too happy but understood after I told him why. Really nice guy, the whole Husky outfit was back in the 70's.
In about 2010 I spent a week guiding/riding with Dick Burleson and four of his buddies from Michigan(one of them was my buddy who organized the trip) in and around Moab and Green River. We put in almost 500 miles of gnar in 7 straight days. Dick was on a pre-production KTM 144, since his son headed up KTM USA at the time(Dick is very light so he ripped on that thing). Was an honor and privilege to ride and hang with such a legend and it was his first time to Moab so he and his crew had a great time. We even got a bunch of rain which made it an epic week.
deccr250
8/14/2020 12:12pm
Nothing special really in terms of Moto, few trophies from racing as a kid.. twitch replied to a few of my DM’s on insta and my Uncles wife’s brother is the CEO of the Atlanta Falcons Smile
Roostermx58
8/14/2020 12:22pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2020 1:02pm
Chocolate Myers (gasman for Earnhardt Sr.) is my father-in-law.

Won AA North Carolina Harescramble Championship. Made a morning race GNCC podium. Cleaned the top of the Moose/Parts Unlimted Semi-trailer with Dick Burleson. Was featured in Dirt Bike Magazine in 2019. Got drunk with Brock Sellards and wife in Ohio. Dated Kyle Peters sister in high school.

I have my pilots license as well.
philG
8/14/2020 12:37pm
A daft one..

My dad once shared a caravan for the night with Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran in the paddock at Donington Park.

str8line
8/14/2020 1:46pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2020 12:51am
So many great stories, blown away by a ton of them.

Wasn't planning on sharing this when I made the thread but I figure fuck it, might as well share since so many of you have...

I used to be a competitive skier and was in ski movies. Lucky timing had us on the forefront of the big mountain skiing revolution and fat ski evolution, and we got to open up a lot of previously unskied terrain in Alaska, Europe, South America and Canada. It was a time of heli-skiing exploration, huge advances in powder skis and attention from the ski industry. Helmet cams weighed about 5 lbs!

I got to work with some of the best photographers and filmers in the business and we had a blast figuring out what to do and pushing our limits. Unfortunately I have about 35 friends and cohorts who died doing the sport we loved. It was like F1 in the 60's, every year I knew several people who pushed too far or got unlucky.

I did some competitions, mostly big mountain stuff. Also did the first winter X-games in 1998(skiercross) and the NBC Gravity games in 2000(bronze medal in big mountain). In 2000 I was the U.S. freeskiing champion and in 1998 the Canadian freesking champ. Snowboarding stole a lot of skiing's thunder in the early part of my career but by the end of it skiing was becoming a big deal again.

In 1998 at the SIA ski industry show in Las Vegas I was walking the show and meeting with sponsors and I walked by the CTS booth. There was no one around but there was a guy sitting at a table and I noticed he had posters in front of him to sign... that guy was Jeff Emig. As I said no one at all was around and I struck up conversation with him. As a life-long fan of moto I was so stoked! Well we shot the shit for at least 30 minutes and he noticed I had my portfolio so he went through it and geeked on all the cliff shots. What a great guy and of course he was just coming off his SX championship the year before so I peppered him with questions about everything I could think of as a rabid MX fan. Great times!

At about 5 minutes in this picks up:

fullfloater
Fantasy
14th
8/14/2020 1:47pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2020 1:49pm
dcg141 wrote:
Met Chris Robinson from the Black Crow's when they were an opening act at a club in Raleigh NC in the late 80's. I told him...
Met Chris Robinson from the Black Crow's when they were an opening act at a club in Raleigh NC in the late 80's. I told him he sounded like Steve Marriott from Humble Pie and he had never heard of them. Years later a heard an interview with him and he listed Humble Pie as one of his influences...true story. Also tried to pick up Sheryl Crow at the same club..she wasn't having any of it. Got 6th in Vet B at the ranch in 92.
To be fair, Sheryl didn't know at the time that you would soon get 6th in Vet B at the ranch. If she did, things would have been wild.
Lightning78
8/14/2020 2:27pm
Oh...I have another, New York Yankees star Aaron Judge grew up in the same tiny town i grew up in Linden, ca 1000 people my mom was his school bus driver when he was in high school and knows him really well she also drove the baseball teams to their games. I see him here every xmas

Post a reply to: Your claim to fame

The Latest