Your claim to fame

mxrider641
8/13/2020 11:44am
Moto-Related - Had Russ Darnell talking about us for years after he could not get over us nailing our tarp to the top of our home made wooden trailer - it was the 80's.
Non Moto - Got to travel as a photographer with the World Champion NY State Little League team on their trips to Yankee Stadium, the World Trade Center and Citi Field in NYC - those kids were treated like gold!
rdrurypi
8/13/2020 11:59am
Got another one but MX related. In the late 70s Gary Bailey and David Bailey has a two day riding school on the back track at Saddleback. On the first day, Gary crashed and broke his leg and the first day was cut short. He came back the day after and to my surprise, me and my buddy were the example riders as Gary stayed in a chair and told us what to do. David apparently had to go to a race and was not there.
moto804
8/13/2020 12:46pm
I hold the 3rd grade High Jump record (3'7") at my grade school (I'm 44, my mom still subs there sometimes and checks the wall of fame).

I have never lost a limbo contest.

Moto related:

Pretty sure I am the 1st to race a Husaberg at Loretta's- 1999 in the 4stk class against 41 Yamaha YZ400s. A few others isted as Unk earlier in the 90s so hard to confirm.

Carey Hart came up in our RV to pet my dog at the 2006 Detroit SM national - wife loves sharing that one with our non-moto friends.

2006 Nashville SM National: Standing at the riders meeting, I look to my right: Mickey Dymond and Doug Henry. To my left: Jeff Ward and Yamaha team manager Keith McCarty. I nearly peed myself!
Stuntman949
8/13/2020 1:01pm
abn166 wrote:
In 1980 I beat "Rocket Rex' Staten twice for the 250 pro overall at his home track Corona Raceway. Also that year I beat "Gassin" Gaylon...
In 1980 I beat "Rocket Rex' Staten twice for the 250 pro overall at his home track Corona Raceway. Also that year I beat "Gassin" Gaylon Mosier at Saddleback. I raced in the Speedway National Championship from 1990 to 2004 best finish 7th overall.
I am #26.
Never knew that you were you, if you know what I mean. Such a badass speedway set up.

The Shop

abn166
8/13/2020 1:13pm
Never knew that you were you, if you know what I mean. Such a badass speedway set up.
abn166=Andy Northrup 166

Stevo683
8/13/2020 1:19pm
str8line wrote:
What is it? Did you win your elementary school speeling bee as I did? Were you a factory racer? Did you wrench on your little brothers...
What is it? Did you win your elementary school speeling bee as I did? Were you a factory racer? Did you wrench on your little brothers bike when he won a local series? Are you the top salesperson in your company? Did you buy a 1982 YZ80 brand new with your own money? Did you jump three friends on your BMX bike? Is your yard the nicest on the block?

What's your story? Don't be shy.
Trained a dude to an Arenacross title one year. Felt like I won it as well. Big accomplishment. Was an Epic memory! Winning is a good feeling!
Steve125
Fantasy
2787th
8/13/2020 1:28pm
I am a habitual product of unfinished business. I started racing MX in 1978.. Over the years I've won a couple Championships and had some top 3 points finishes, but then I tend to walk away for 20 years and go do an entirely different motorsport...then I'll get the itch to do MX again. I'll again give 100%, get semi fast and comfortable on the bike, only to walk away again. I'm running out of 20 year breaks. I've done this with bikes and cars. 2020 was going to be my first consecutive year ever, racing the same class on the same tracks, in the same organization. That all went to shit with Covid. Still deciding on what to focus on in 21.
motoxxx599
Fantasy
875th
8/13/2020 3:58pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2020 7:33pm
Got to race for Team Kawasaki Mexico/Tecate in 97' in the Mexican SX series and won the 125 class instead of starting my senior year of HS. It was the same year a bunch of top 20 guys including Craig, Antunez, Lawrence, Gonzales, Stevenson, etc raced the same series. Also Mike Craig offered me my first drink at a bar in one of the hotels.

When I was 14 I used to go to Rio Bravo on Mondays with the guys from my local shop and ride with all the other local racers who worked at bike shops (which were all closed Mondays). We were all sitting around with this older guy with funny looking hair as they talked about how hot this older guys wife was. The older guy with funny hair was Lyle Lovett and his wife was Julia Roberts.

Was racing the PJ1 AX Series in 99' and crashed hard in a 125 heat race in Hampton, VA. Rick Johnson was commentating for TV that night and they showed my crash in regular speed and then slow motion. It was on the commercial for AX for the next 5 years or so.

Was racing 250 SX series in 03' and Daytona was going to be the first ever live SX round. My grandparents were watching from home and I got lapped by RC in the heat race. In the next corner he fell over and I went back around him. They got to see me on TV and that was cool because it was the only time they ever saw me race.

bvm111
8/13/2020 5:56pm
went to high school with jimmy button, and his dad gave me my first racer discount at western honda in scottsdale AZ... i thought i was pretty cool!!!

I got fully hammered with weege and emig at the lobby bar at the phoenix airport marriott after the PHX SX one year when it was still down town... i was already mostly hammered and decided that one more beer would be a good idea when i arrived at the hotel and there they were! I introduced myself to emig hyperventilating like a 14 year old girl would if she saw justin beiber and sat down and had a few more with them just talking(mostly slurring) about riding and racing... that was a good night!
JAFO92
8/13/2020 6:55pm
Regis wrote:
Ha! Not a fluffer... I work in the film industry as a stuntman. Because I was a smaller guy - 5’8” - 135 lbs, immediately after...
Ha! Not a fluffer...

I work in the film industry as a stuntman. Because I was a smaller guy - 5’8” - 135 lbs, immediately after racing I got into doing stunts.

My first job was stunt doubling for Andrea Carson in Disney’s “motocrossed”

Then Cameron Diaz on “Charlie’s Angels: Full throttle”

Then Alysa Milano on the 1-800-collect commercial.

Then Monet Mazure on “Torque”

- and the list went on until my metabolism caught up and I gained a little weight. Finally doubling guys like Giovanni Ribisi and recently Aaron Paul.
Cmon Regis, 'fess up. You still wearing fingernail polish to get rid of arm pump? Wink
Motoxdoc
8/13/2020 7:16pm
Just remembered another one. I told this story here before, but here it is again.
I went to the Vegas SX finals in the late 90’s (living in So Cal at the time, I seldom attended that SX). My friends and I snuck into the press box (that hasn’t happened often either…twice in 100+ SX’s attended). While we were enjoying the free food, my buddy walked past David Baily and heard his wife Gina say out of the blue, “Who’s Fitz-G?” My buddy instinctively turned to them and interrupted them by saying, “That’s my friend, he’s sitting over there!” as he pointed to me. David and Gina laughed, ”No!...we’re looking at old pictures of David from years ago…unless…did your Fitz-G friend race SX’s with David back in the day?” David and Gina were looking at a stack of 20+ old pictures that a fan of his had taken throughout his career. That fan had been trying to track down David for years to give him all these pictures. Later that night, in the press box David and Gina started flipping through the pictures. They happened to be looking at this exact picture while my friend was walking by them in the crowded press box. It was a picture taken during the track walk for the ’85 Rosebowl SX (think Wardy going backwards). I was CMC #4 that year and I was doing the track walk with my CMC jersey on. Gina knew all the top guys from the day but didn’t recognize “#4 Fitz-G,” that’s when she said out loud, “Who’s Fitz-G!” After they laughed for a few seconds David showed my friend the pic and jokingly said something like, “Is this your friend?” He looked at it and said, “Yup…he’s sitting over there!”
David – “Seriously?! You think that’s your friend in the picture? Go get him!”
My friend to me – “David Baily is sitting over there holding a picture of you and he wants to meet you!”
Me – “WTF? You’re messing with me!...Really? No way!
Friend – “Go over there and introduce yourself as Fitz-G and see what happens!”
Holy shit, he wasn't messing with me!!!
The odds of me ending up with this picture are phenomenal!!! 1)I hardly ever go to Vegas. 2)I rarely have a chance to sneak into the press box...and do it. 2)DB’s fan that took the picture just happened to catch up with him that night. 3)The stack of pictures was an inch thick…and at that moment DB just happened to be looking at this one when my friend was within earshot of him and his wife Gina. 4) The fact that Gina could even make out “Fitz-G” in this tiny picture, looking over DB’s shoulder, while he was flipping through the stack of pics…and then say it out loud enough for my passing friend to hear…
Needless to say we had a good laugh and David signed the picture and gave it to me. I still don’t know who took the picture, but I’m stoked to have it.
In the picture David is talking to his dad, “The Professor.” They were probably breaking down the track…and it appears DB is pointing in my direction. Me on the other hand…I was probably looking at the track in a daze thinking, “WTF have I got myself into?!”

wildbill
8/13/2020 8:29pm
Motoxdoc wrote:
Just remembered another one. I told this story here before, but here it is again. I went to the Vegas SX finals in the late 90’s...
Just remembered another one. I told this story here before, but here it is again.
I went to the Vegas SX finals in the late 90’s (living in So Cal at the time, I seldom attended that SX). My friends and I snuck into the press box (that hasn’t happened often either…twice in 100+ SX’s attended). While we were enjoying the free food, my buddy walked past David Baily and heard his wife Gina say out of the blue, “Who’s Fitz-G?” My buddy instinctively turned to them and interrupted them by saying, “That’s my friend, he’s sitting over there!” as he pointed to me. David and Gina laughed, ”No!...we’re looking at old pictures of David from years ago…unless…did your Fitz-G friend race SX’s with David back in the day?” David and Gina were looking at a stack of 20+ old pictures that a fan of his had taken throughout his career. That fan had been trying to track down David for years to give him all these pictures. Later that night, in the press box David and Gina started flipping through the pictures. They happened to be looking at this exact picture while my friend was walking by them in the crowded press box. It was a picture taken during the track walk for the ’85 Rosebowl SX (think Wardy going backwards). I was CMC #4 that year and I was doing the track walk with my CMC jersey on. Gina knew all the top guys from the day but didn’t recognize “#4 Fitz-G,” that’s when she said out loud, “Who’s Fitz-G!” After they laughed for a few seconds David showed my friend the pic and jokingly said something like, “Is this your friend?” He looked at it and said, “Yup…he’s sitting over there!”
David – “Seriously?! You think that’s your friend in the picture? Go get him!”
My friend to me – “David Baily is sitting over there holding a picture of you and he wants to meet you!”
Me – “WTF? You’re messing with me!...Really? No way!
Friend – “Go over there and introduce yourself as Fitz-G and see what happens!”
Holy shit, he wasn't messing with me!!!
The odds of me ending up with this picture are phenomenal!!! 1)I hardly ever go to Vegas. 2)I rarely have a chance to sneak into the press box...and do it. 2)DB’s fan that took the picture just happened to catch up with him that night. 3)The stack of pictures was an inch thick…and at that moment DB just happened to be looking at this one when my friend was within earshot of him and his wife Gina. 4) The fact that Gina could even make out “Fitz-G” in this tiny picture, looking over DB’s shoulder, while he was flipping through the stack of pics…and then say it out loud enough for my passing friend to hear…
Needless to say we had a good laugh and David signed the picture and gave it to me. I still don’t know who took the picture, but I’m stoked to have it.
In the picture David is talking to his dad, “The Professor.” They were probably breaking down the track…and it appears DB is pointing in my direction. Me on the other hand…I was probably looking at the track in a daze thinking, “WTF have I got myself into?!”

This is just so awesome, that it needs to be read again.
wildbill
8/13/2020 8:34pm
str8line wrote:
What is it? Did you win your elementary school speeling bee as I did? Were you a factory racer? Did you wrench on your little brothers...
What is it? Did you win your elementary school speeling bee as I did? Were you a factory racer? Did you wrench on your little brothers bike when he won a local series? Are you the top salesperson in your company? Did you buy a 1982 YZ80 brand new with your own money? Did you jump three friends on your BMX bike? Is your yard the nicest on the block?

What's your story? Don't be shy.
Did you advertantly misspell "spelling bee"? Tricky fucker.
8/13/2020 8:36pm
BMX: In 1978, a bike shop helped take about 10 fast locals from Columbus Oh to the Georgia State Championships near Atlanta. 2nd place 15 yr old novice.
wildbill
8/13/2020 8:38pm
I married a musician in 88 and spent 5 yrs in Nashville. We did open for Jeanie C Riley once.
Motoxdoc
8/13/2020 9:17pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2020 11:05pm
wildbill wrote:
This is just so awesome, that it needs to be read again.
I still laugh and just shake my head that I even ended up with this pic! It’s kind of hard to read but he wrote “Dad, look, there’s Ian!” Then he signed it. It’s funny cause I only did a few SX”s in SoCal and this is the only proof I have!
RalphS
8/13/2020 9:41pm
Holigan wrote:
Created a pilot for a television series about four Latinas in bikinis fishing. Sold the series to FOX Sports Mexico, Colombia, Argentina and Chile, but got...
Created a pilot for a television series about four Latinas in bikinis fishing. Sold the series to FOX Sports Mexico, Colombia, Argentina and Chile, but got shut down when the contracts went to FOX headquarters in LA for final signatures. Damn that #metoo (pound me too) movement. Bad timing, but a great week in Florida!

Youtube Fish N Hips
I won pw50 and 85 regionals and local, met RC, the man and Bierer, attended countless races including A2 this year but I'd be happy to trade all that and much more to get lost in the love boat with the high octane 4 strokes in your vid.
G-man
8/13/2020 10:06pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2020 5:45am
Won a XR 75 racing with the infamous CMC club ( Thanks Stu Peters) six week series Saddleback and Carlsbad.

Pulled some holeshots with this 1978 Rocketship rotary-valved Can-Am 250 MX-4.
Luved that bike. Smile

stonerb
8/13/2020 10:26pm
I won TWO spelling bee's in elementary school.
hey, me too! i remember when i went to the big one with all of the winners from the schools in my area, i fucked up spelling E-L-E-M-E-N-T-A-R-Y. what a dipshit!
oldmxracer
8/13/2020 10:58pm
My Gran Pa grew up with Buddy Ebsen and my Great Gran Pa got the 1st recorded speeding ticket in the U.S.A.
Motoxdoc
8/13/2020 11:21pm
G-man wrote:
Won a XR 75 racing with the infamous CMC club ( Thanks Stu Peters) six week series Saddleback and Carlsbad. Pulled some holeshots with this 1978...
Won a XR 75 racing with the infamous CMC club ( Thanks Stu Peters) six week series Saddleback and Carlsbad.

Luved that bike. Smile

Sweet Carlsbad start shot...and Saddleback too!...looks like after the last turn near the track exit. Did you say 98?Huh 22 years ago, 42 years, whatever....I know what you're talking about, I sometimes forget about a decade...or two as well.Laughing
8/13/2020 11:35pm
Ok, im gonna claim it...why not! My stats from the readers poll's for Best Punk Drummer...Im no longer playing currently after 25 years with my former band. If interested, you can listen to a podcast i did right here. Talk Moto XXX in the begging and the rest band, music and my termination

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/39-strung-out-transmission-alpha-…

Note, Josh Freese has played drums in the studio on some of the biggest albums you've heard, currently has been playing with Sting for the past few years. One of the most sought after studio drummers.

DRUM! Magazine - 2015:
1st. Brooks Wackerman - Bad Religion
2nd. Jordan Burns - Strung Out
3rd. Brandon Barnes - Rise Against
4th. Jorma Vik - The Bronx
5th. Brandon Pertzborn - Black Flag

DRUM! Magazine - 2012:
1st. Jordan Burns - Strung Out
2nd. Brooks Wackerman - Bad Religion
3rd. Jonathan Diener - The Swellers
4th. Chris Thatcher - Streetlight Manifesto
5th. Dave Raun - Lagwagon

DRUM! -2010:
1st. Travis Barker - Blink-182
2nd. Tre Cool - Green Day
3rd. Josh Freese - The Vandals
4th. Brooks Wackerman - Bad Religion
5th. Jordan Burns - Strung Out

Modern Drummer Magazine - 2005:
4th. Darren Pfeiffer - Gold Finger

DRUM! Magazine - 2004:
2nd. Josh Freese - The Vandals
3rd. Jordan Burns - Strung Out
4th. Tre Cool - Green Day

DRUM! Magazine - 2003:
3rd. Byron McMackin - Pennywise
4th. Josh Freese - The Vandals

Moto Wise...Starting Moto XXX and still being current with the brand and finally having it back solely to myself with no partners!!! It's insane looking back at where we came from..the list of riders that rode for our team and all that Moto XXX accomplished..SX win, Nationals win, Multiple Top Privateer awards, etc...yup, im quite proud of it and quite proud that so many people still remember and are supporting the brand, especially the younger MX riders that are repping!

www.motoxxx.com
www.instagram.com/motoxxxofficial
Robgvx
8/14/2020 12:26am
Here’s a tenuous one.

My brother-in-law’s phone beeps when he was at our house on Christmas Day a few years ago. He starts chuckling. He shows me this:

As you might know, if you signed up for Viber it automatically messages everyone else in your phone to tell them.

I say, “Who’s that?”

“Madonna”, he says.

“Yeah, but who is it really”, I reply.

“No, it really is the real Madonna”, he says.

My brother-in-law works in sound and lighting and did concerts, exhibitions etc. He was the stage manager at the ‘Live 8’ gig in London some years ago. So he had all the performers’ personal numbers in case he needed to get hold of them.

He’s met pretty much everyone.

He was mainly chuckling because a) why was Madonna signing up to a free call service when she’s worth millions, and b) she was signing up to it ON CHRISTMAS DAY!

Another true story from the Robgvx archives.
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
8/14/2020 12:38am
Robgvx wrote:
Here’s a tenuous one. My brother-in-law’s phone beeps when he was at our house on Christmas Day a few years ago. He starts chuckling. He shows...
Here’s a tenuous one.

My brother-in-law’s phone beeps when he was at our house on Christmas Day a few years ago. He starts chuckling. He shows me this:

As you might know, if you signed up for Viber it automatically messages everyone else in your phone to tell them.

I say, “Who’s that?”

“Madonna”, he says.

“Yeah, but who is it really”, I reply.

“No, it really is the real Madonna”, he says.

My brother-in-law works in sound and lighting and did concerts, exhibitions etc. He was the stage manager at the ‘Live 8’ gig in London some years ago. So he had all the performers’ personal numbers in case he needed to get hold of them.

He’s met pretty much everyone.

He was mainly chuckling because a) why was Madonna signing up to a free call service when she’s worth millions, and b) she was signing up to it ON CHRISTMAS DAY!

Another true story from the Robgvx archives.
I'm pretty sure Madonna has broken through a billion dollas....
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
8/14/2020 12:47am Edited Date/Time 8/14/2020 12:48am
I saw this hot chick approaching me...then I realized it was Sandra Bullock...I did not have the balls to try talk to her and without even thinking I took out my cheap ol disposable camera and took a pic. She just smiled at me and left me speechless.

mx295
8/14/2020 1:25am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2020 8:21pm
Ok, im gonna claim it...why not! My stats from the readers poll's for Best Punk Drummer...Im no longer playing currently after 25 years with my former...
Ok, im gonna claim it...why not! My stats from the readers poll's for Best Punk Drummer...Im no longer playing currently after 25 years with my former band. If interested, you can listen to a podcast i did right here. Talk Moto XXX in the begging and the rest band, music and my termination

Note, Josh Freese has played drums in the studio on some of the biggest albums you've heard, currently has been playing with Sting for the past few years. One of the most sought after studio drummers.

DRUM! Magazine - 2015:

DRUM! Magazine - 2012:

DRUM! -2010:

DRUM! Magazine - 2004:

DRUM! Magazine - 2003:

Moto Wise...Starting Moto XXX and still being current with the brand and finally having it back solely to myself with no partners!!! It's insane looking back at where we came from..the list of riders that rode for our team and all that Moto XXX accomplished..SX win, Nationals win, Multiple Top Privateer awards, etc...yup, im quite proud of it and quite proud that so many people still remember and are supporting the brand, especially the younger MX riders that are repping!

www.motoxxx.com
Thanks for all that you have done for mx. In the late 90s I followed your mechanic/box van driver to some supercrosses when I wrenched for a team that also had a box van at the time. Lewis & Lawrence were your riders then... Also a few songs on my Spotify weekly playlist always has some of your work on it. ✊🏻🇺🇸
levimx22
Fantasy
2202nd
8/14/2020 3:31am
Ok, im gonna claim it...why not! My stats from the readers poll's for Best Punk Drummer...Im no longer playing currently after 25 years with my former...

DRUM! Magazine - 2015:

DRUM! Magazine - 2012:

DRUM! -2010:

DRUM! Magazine - 2004:

DRUM! Magazine - 2003:

www.motoxxx.com
one of my favorite jerseys i have.

G-man
8/14/2020 5:49am
G-man wrote:
Won a XR 75 racing with the infamous CMC club ( Thanks Stu Peters) six week series Saddleback and Carlsbad. Pulled some holeshots with this 1978...

Luved that bike. Smile

Motoxdoc wrote:
Sweet Carlsbad start shot...and Saddleback too!...looks like after the last turn near the track exit. Did you say 98?:huh: 22 years ago, 42 years, whatever....I know...
Sweet Carlsbad start shot...and Saddleback too!...looks like after the last turn near the track exit. Did you say 98?Huh 22 years ago, 42 years, whatever....I know what you're talking about, I sometimes forget about a decade...or two as well.Laughing
oops !!! Good catch Doc, I was off 20 years it WAS 1978. Getting old sux!

And yes that is the turn right after by the exit at Saddleback. Cool

Post a reply to: Your claim to fame

The Latest