Your air filter cleaning technique

MX558
8/2/2020 11:20am
TheCRKid wrote:
We run profilter pre oiled filters, you just put the filter in and throw it away when it's dirty.
Done
Same for me , it's not worth my time for $150 a year cleaning filters
Fireblade2k
8/2/2020 11:42am
It probably doesn't matter as much to those who replace their bikes with new ones every year or two, but for guys like me who tend to run the same bike for years, you want to prolong the life of the engine as long as possible . For my bike (crf450r) the oem filter is of a much higher quality than anything offered by the aftermarket. I've seen those ready oiled filters and they are very cheaply made and the foam seems super porous and thin. No way I would run one in my bike. Same goes for the spray on filter oil. That stuff is so thinned out so as to be used in an aerosol can , that I wouldn't trust it to be thick and sticky enough to catch all of the particles we ride through the same way something like Bel-Ray would. Just my 2 cents
Rickyisms
8/2/2020 9:06pm
It probably doesn't matter as much to those who replace their bikes with new ones every year or two, but for guys like me who tend...
It probably doesn't matter as much to those who replace their bikes with new ones every year or two, but for guys like me who tend to run the same bike for years, you want to prolong the life of the engine as long as possible . For my bike (crf450r) the oem filter is of a much higher quality than anything offered by the aftermarket. I've seen those ready oiled filters and they are very cheaply made and the foam seems super porous and thin. No way I would run one in my bike. Same goes for the spray on filter oil. That stuff is so thinned out so as to be used in an aerosol can , that I wouldn't trust it to be thick and sticky enough to catch all of the particles we ride through the same way something like Bel-Ray would. Just my 2 cents
I am with you on the spray stuff. I don't get how people use it, Especially down here in FL where our harescrambles are just races in a dust bowl.
sandtrack315
8/3/2020 3:17am
Not sure why people don't like No-Toil, but I have zero issues with the Twin Air Bio system, which I assume is similar.

The problem with gas, beyond inhaling it and having to dispose of it, is that it will certainly degrade your filters faster. I always check the integrity of filters when I wash them. Even with gentle cleaning, they do break down. No reason to speed up this process with gasoline.

The Shop

SCAM124
Fantasy
2161st
8/3/2020 5:17am
Mineral Spirits to knock the crud off.
Then Dawn for final wash.
Maxima air filter oil.

Air boots are clean.

I tried using No-toil at the end of a season awhile ago. Rode a couple times, cleaning was fantastic using the Oxi-clean bucket trick. Before winter, did my usual end of season put-everything-away-clean and fresh. Next spring, I noticed my air filters were GLUED onto the boot lip. Like GLUED. Ruined. I couldn't get them off. All 3 bikes.

3 ruined air filters, 3 ruined air filter boots, hours of work.
Still not sure what I did wrong. Unsure
sandtrack315
8/3/2020 6:43am
SCAM124 wrote:
Mineral Spirits to knock the crud off. Then Dawn for final wash. Maxima air filter oil. Air boots are clean. I tried using No-toil at the...
Mineral Spirits to knock the crud off.
Then Dawn for final wash.
Maxima air filter oil.

Air boots are clean.

I tried using No-toil at the end of a season awhile ago. Rode a couple times, cleaning was fantastic using the Oxi-clean bucket trick. Before winter, did my usual end of season put-everything-away-clean and fresh. Next spring, I noticed my air filters were GLUED onto the boot lip. Like GLUED. Ruined. I couldn't get them off. All 3 bikes.

3 ruined air filters, 3 ruined air filter boots, hours of work.
Still not sure what I did wrong. Unsure
No idea why that happened. Regardless, next season I would just put a clean oil-free filter on before storage. You're going to want to oil the filter after the bike was sitting for that long anyways.
ktmdan
8/3/2020 1:57pm
ctbale wrote:
Been using gas since the 70s. Only an idiot would dump it on the yard. I think most people make the extra effort and walk it...
Been using gas since the 70s. Only an idiot would dump it on the yard. I think most people make the extra effort and walk it out to the ditch. But I am lazy so leave it in the open plastic container for several days till it mostly evaporates then I burn the container
Unburned HCs aren't exactly better in the air than they are in the ground FWIW.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
8/3/2020 2:55pm
ctbale wrote:
Been using gas since the 70s. Only an idiot would dump it on the yard. I think most people make the extra effort and walk it...
Been using gas since the 70s. Only an idiot would dump it on the yard. I think most people make the extra effort and walk it out to the ditch. But I am lazy so leave it in the open plastic container for several days till it mostly evaporates then I burn the container
ktmdan wrote:
Unburned HCs aren't exactly better in the air than they are in the ground FWIW.
It's called recycling. Just putting it back in Mother Earth where it came from. Tongue
MX690
8/3/2020 3:12pm
langhammx wrote:
Question for the guys using gas, what do you do with the dirty gas after washing your filters ?
Great weed killer.
Pink
8/3/2020 3:31pm
Luckily for me, the gear cleaning guy also cleans dirty filters. I send mine to him.
Mx_Pain
8/4/2020 4:39pm
Simple and no stress. I use Twin Air Bio oil. Toss the filters in the washingmachine and run it twice at 60 degres celsius. Let it dry and reoil with Twin Air bio. (ps. i have a dedicated washingmachine in my garage for filters and mx gear) Happy wife, happy life!
Whymee
8/9/2020 10:23am
1. Clean with gasoline.
2. Clean with Dawn.
3. Air dry over night.
4. Belray or Twin air oil.
5. Grease lips & where bolt goes through.

Been doing it this way for 40 years. Works for me, and my machines have not complained yet.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
8/9/2020 5:48pm
slipdog wrote:
You have to clean your filter? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/08/02/441702/s1200_Screenshot_2020_08_02_at_10.19.22_AM.jpg[/img]
You have to clean your filter?

Story behind that gem?
mirramaxx
8/10/2020 11:17am
I use the Pro filter from maxima ,go about 2-4 rides and spend 10 bux to just replace it. Extra expense if I ride a lot but love having a freshie !
Rickyisms
8/10/2020 1:48pm
mirramaxx wrote:
I use the Pro filter from maxima ,go about 2-4 rides and spend 10 bux to just replace it. Extra expense if I ride a lot...
I use the Pro filter from maxima ,go about 2-4 rides and spend 10 bux to just replace it. Extra expense if I ride a lot but love having a freshie !
I ride 2 times a week in dusty nasty conditions. Profilter would not be the way for me.
downard254
8/10/2020 2:03pm Edited Date/Time 8/10/2020 2:04pm
My go to method has been to wash it in gasoline. Then pull it out of the pan of gas and using one hand to hold the rim of the air box seal part, swing it against the other hand in a fanned out position. I do this numerous times, then I actually used to pour some 15w-40 motor oil on it and wring it out. Now while some will scoff at that method, one entire season racing twice per weekend, I had an accident that ended my season in October. The crash broke the shifter seal off the side case so an engine rebuild was in order. The main and big end rod bearings were in like new condition and the cylinder wall was still in factory std tolerance. That alone sold me that I was doing something right. Oh, did i mention that I grease the hell out of the filter to air box seal.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
8/10/2020 2:12pm
I have a small parts washer with mineral oil it in. Works fine
HondaFan33
8/10/2020 2:18pm
When I used kerosene it felt like it I could never really get it all out of the filter afterwards. Always smelled like it and had a bit of an oily residue to it no matter how much dawn I used after.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
8/10/2020 2:20pm
HondaFan33 wrote:
When I used kerosene it felt like it I could never really get it all out of the filter afterwards. Always smelled like it and had...
When I used kerosene it felt like it I could never really get it all out of the filter afterwards. Always smelled like it and had a bit of an oily residue to it no matter how much dawn I used after.
If you use kerosene, you have to rinse it with gas.

Gas has been used since the start. Many many ways to skin a cat.
Donkey Kong
8/10/2020 2:39pm
xrmark wrote:
When did everyone get so above using gas?? Lol
I just cleaned 5 filters at once by putting water in my sink, putting the no toil cleaner powder in the water and just leaving the filters in there for an hour. When I came back they were all clean, I didn't even have to rub the dirt out or anything. Why someone would put their hands in a bucket of gasoline when you could just do this instead is just beyond me. Some people get off on the manufactured nostalgia of "doing it like we use to" even if it sucks. It's weird.
O&GDriller
8/10/2020 3:11pm
langhammx wrote:
Question for the guys using gas, what do you do with the dirty gas after washing your filters ?
I dump mine at the edge of my property to kill weeds. You probably can't do that in CA.
O&GDriller
8/10/2020 3:39pm
I have a 5 gallon bucket I fill with about 4 gallons of gas. I wash filters in the same gas for 6 months or more until it gets nasty. With a 5 gallon bucket it's nice because the dirt settles to the bottom of the bucket after washing giving "fresh, clean" gas the next time it's needed.

I just oil my filters the old way with either aerosol filter oil or liquid. Pour/spray it on and then squeeze the excess out. I do a final removal of excess by just using a terry cloth to give it a final squeeze.
8/10/2020 3:42pm
mirramaxx wrote:
I use the Pro filter from maxima ,go about 2-4 rides and spend 10 bux to just replace it. Extra expense if I ride a lot...
Rickyisms wrote:
I ride 2 times a week in dusty nasty conditions. Profilter would not be the way for me.
You may want to invest in some UNI prefilters. I’m in the same “Florida sand, just sand everywhere” situation, and the prefilter adds additional element of safety and allows the main filter to last longer. I do like others; mineral spirits, dawn soap, dip in oil. I am a little old school and still apply a thin film of oil on the lip.
Donkey Kong
8/10/2020 3:56pm
O&GDriller wrote:
I dump mine at the edge of my property to kill weeds. You probably can't do that in CA.
I wish you were kidding but you're not and it's scary.
Whymee
8/10/2020 6:11pm
I remember a time when I put used gas, as well as oil changes, car included, down a groundhog hole. I bet that hole saw 200 gallons.

Of course I do not do that now... Whistling
Evoracer
8/11/2020 8:36am
omalley wrote:
Because some of us have tried No-Toil and hate it. I don’t use gas, though. I use about 2.5 gal of kerosene in a sealable 5-gal...
Because some of us have tried No-Toil and hate it.

I don’t use gas, though. I use about 2.5 gal of kerosene in a sealable 5-gal bucket. Wring filter out in there, then hot soapy water for the dirt. Hang dry. About 1x/year, I take the kerosene/filter oil mix to the local hazmat place for disposal.

My gripe about No-Toil was that the residue that builds and dries in your airbox was nearly impossible to remove. I clean my airbox every couple rides (every ride if muddy) and got tired of it. Worse, I didn’t feel as comfortable with the level of tackiness on the filter compared to petroleum-based filter oils.
Since the demise of proper mineral spirits (thanks california!), I've switched over to kerosene as well. No issues.
Mr. Afterbar
8/11/2020 9:21am
I still use gas and see no problem with it. I have always used grease on the lip, but on my new KX 450 it would be a total mess due to the newer design so I’m going to oil the lip really good and hope for the best.
murph783
8/11/2020 9:58am
Petroleum based, kerosene-dawn dish soap-air dry-bel ray or maxima oil.

No Toil-Oxy clean-Rinse-Air dry.

Either way Bel Ray waterproof grease on the lip.

Post a reply to: Your air filter cleaning technique

The Latest