Your air filter cleaning technique

Rickyisms
Edited Date/Time 8/11/2020 5:59pm
I have about ten filters in rotation so I’ll usually spend a Sunday AM cleaning filters. I usually pour some gas into a bucket and dunk my filters in then ring them out, then wash with soap and let them dry in the sun while I do other bike work. Then I pour bel ray filter on the one I want to put in the bike and leave the unoiled ones in a cabinet.

I’m thinking of ditching gas and switching to the WR performance F3 filter cleaner, we sell it at my shop and it seems to get very positive reviews. I was thinking of using a Tupperware full of that, dunk it in and wring it out, then wash in the sink.

I was thinking of getting 1-2 bel ray gallon jugs and pouring them into a large Tupperware and using the same method.

Anyone got any little tips and tricks that I could pick up on? Always like to learn some knowledge and make my life easier.

Does everyone still grease the lip of your air filter where it mates to the airbox? I find less and less people are doing that.
|
kpersonius264
Fantasy
3579th
7/31/2020 9:33pm
I use Notoil and once I dirty up about 5 filters I toss them in the washing machine. I personally don't use any rim grease I just make sure to coat the rim thoroughly with oil.

I really like your Tupperware idea. I'd just be afraid of it not sealing enough while storing.
WFO
7/31/2020 9:42pm
I spray my dirty filters with WD=40 or similar then wash with dish soap and hang on the fence to dry. Use Twin Air oil and don't oil the lip unless its going to be a really muddy race day. Use a gallon ziplock bag to oil filters then discard.
FWYT
7/31/2020 9:48pm
I use No Toil and will clean a batch. Get all the major dirt out in a bucket and then toss in the washing machine.
I use the Rim Grease. I wrap a plastic bag around the filter both when taking it out and putting it in. Prevents the oil
from wiping along the side of the air box and collecting dirt. Just easier to keep the airbox clean without stray oil
around.

Also, I always run a strip of tape across the top of the filter where it seats. Prevents that layer of dirt building up
that always seems to fall in the boot when you remove the filter. Works like a charm!!! This is one of those ideas
that works so slick you'll hate yourself for not doing it 20 years ago.

langhammx
Fantasy
455th
7/31/2020 9:55pm
WR performance cleaner is the best cleaner I’ve ever used, but man does it stink up the garage !! Lol

I’ve found that using the Maxima spray on oil works best for me.

But I have taken a new direction to avoid cleaning them all together.....
I ship the dirty filters to Hoody at DT1 filters and he cleans them, then ships them back oiled up in a ziplock. I send him 20-30 filters and he charges me $5.00 each to clean, oil and ship them back. No brainer for me, I have better things to do than deal with cleaning air filters.

The Shop

chump6784
7/31/2020 9:55pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2020 9:56pm
I use a bucket full of turpentine to dunk the dirty filter in, wring it out and rinse it off under the tap. Let it dry then apply silkolene filter oil. I don't worry about grease around the lip, I've had filters black with dirt and not a spec inside the filter.
I also re use the turpentine for months before it gets enough crap in it that it no longer does the job
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
7/31/2020 10:04pm
Question for the guys using gas, what do you do with the dirty gas after washing your filters ?
ktmdan
7/31/2020 10:09pm
I’ve used gasoline for years. Works quickly, dries quickly, then put on BelRay.
I’m trying to get away from gasoline and recently tried Motorex Bio-something suggested in the Ktm manual. I’m not sure of my opinion yet.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
7/31/2020 10:11pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2020 10:12pm
langhammx wrote:
Question for the guys using gas, what do you do with the dirty gas after washing your filters ?
I’ve always seen guys dump the gas on the filter in their driveway or a dirt patch on their side yard.

I refuse to use gas.
Maxima Filter Cleaner works great and is always my go to. UNI filter cleaner is ok, but not my first choice. When I worked for a shop we used the Twin Air bucket and their filter cleaner. We’d dunk the filters in the bucket a few times, kind of massage it a little bit, dunk again, ring it out and then use dish soap to clean it in a sink. That way worked awesome!
crusher773
7/31/2020 10:15pm
I used gas for years but have recently switched to mineral spirits. I'll dunk them in a tub of that then let them air out about a day. Then when there is no wife at home in the washing machine they go. Then directly after that a load of gear or garage mechanic clothes. They come out looking brand new and in 15 years have never been caught.
Tonynz
7/31/2020 10:19pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2020 10:20pm
I have got lazy the last couple of years, now use Maxima Pro Filter, ready to use. Single use.
Buy 20 at a time.
I use to do the washing 10 or so at a time.
captmoto
7/31/2020 10:38pm
Gas is such a bad idea. There are no small accidents when shit goes wrong with gas. I use mineral spirits then Dawn dishwash liquid and then air dry. Maxima filter oil for my Twinairs.
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
7/31/2020 10:59pm
Im lazy and just buy new ones.. I have somewhere from 30-60 dirty ones floating around. (A couple of 200L chilli-bins full).

A great idea is to put wire mesh (or a bunch of old rear sprockets) on the bottom of your filter gas container - so the dirt settles at the bottom (a lot of people I know use an old container with old gas they never replace for the initial filter oil strip)

JM485
7/31/2020 11:18pm
I can't believe in the year 2020 people are seriously still cleaning their filters with gas.Pinch Why in the hell would you make life intentionally more difficult, expose yourself to unnecessary fumes, and leave yourself with a toxic mess to deal with at the end of it all when there are nontoxic and biodegradable options out there?
LewDizzle
7/31/2020 11:22pm
1) Clean filters with gas
2) Dip/Rinse in 5gal bucket with warm soapy water
3) Air dry
4) Oil. I use either Bel-Ray or Torco filter oil, personal preference. The trick here is to save an old French's mustard bottle and keep your filter oil in that. That way you can squeeze it on the filter like adding mustard to a hot dog.
5) Place oiled filter in 1gal zipplock bag
6) Add an additional "sandwich size" ziplock bag filled with a pair of rubber gloves into the ziplock holding the oiled
filter.
7) Filters are now on the ready. No oily hands when wanting to change.
8) Gas used to clean my filters is then dumped on the weeds growing in the gravel in front of my house.
7/31/2020 11:26pm
Used no toil for a long time. Today I received 64oz of maxima cleaner and a bottle of fft oil. Also just ordered a 12 pack of the maxima cans of oil. I used this stuff around 2015, but it seemed much more expensive than the no toil. Now I don’t really care about the price
MudPup545
8/1/2020 1:52am
No Toil. Warm wash, cold rinse. Gentle cycle.
Air dry.
Perfectly clean filter(s) every time.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
8/1/2020 2:31am
langhammx wrote:
Dump it in my neighbors lawn mower.
sandtrack315
8/1/2020 3:44am
I have 8 twin air filters. I use the bio stuff. I wash them in a big bucket I got from twin air that has a grate at the bottom. I do a few washed, usually about 4-5, until no more dirt is at the bottom of the bucket, then I use some dawn soap (the twin air rep told me this insures no twin air soap is left in there). Let dry for a few days. Oil with twin air bio oil, wait a few hours for it to tack up, rub it in. Wait another day, into a plastic bag.

It's not rocket science...
Momus
8/1/2020 4:25am
For 50 years this: wash in hot soapy water- the soap is laundry powder.

Squeeze out and dry.

Oil with diff or gearbox oil until well wetted. Squeeze in a cotton shop rag.

Grease the lips well.
8/1/2020 5:29am
I rotate between 7 air filters.
Tupperware container filled with No Toil.
Submerge filter, wring out excess, and install.
No grease, ever.

I wash all the filters when I'm up to the 6th dirty filter.
Fill bucket with water and Oxy Clean.
Rinse under sink and let air dry.

Works like a charm for me.
resetjet
8/1/2020 5:50am
Get awesome orange from dollar tree. Its $1 for a half gallon refill. Its the best bike wash you will find. First spray on top of filter. Hose off parrallel to filter surface and remove 80% of the dirt. Then put in a coffee container of awesome orange and let soak a few. Take out hose off and repeat if real bad. Put lid on awesome orange for next time. Dry and reoil. I use not toil and pre oil and store in gallon ziplock. Dont use too much oil or it will pool in storage.
wwdiii
8/1/2020 5:51am
Bucket with cheap charcoal lighter.
ktmdan
8/1/2020 5:58am
langhammx wrote:
I have a legitimate place to dispose of gasoline at work.
Rickyisms
8/1/2020 6:58am
langhammx wrote:
WR performance cleaner is the best cleaner I’ve ever used, but man does it stink up the garage !! Lol I’ve found that using the Maxima...
WR performance cleaner is the best cleaner I’ve ever used, but man does it stink up the garage !! Lol

I’ve found that using the Maxima spray on oil works best for me.

But I have taken a new direction to avoid cleaning them all together.....
I ship the dirty filters to Hoody at DT1 filters and he cleans them, then ships them back oiled up in a ziplock. I send him 20-30 filters and he charges me $5.00 each to clean, oil and ship them back. No brainer for me, I have better things to do than deal with cleaning air filters.
Their new formula is supposed to smell like bubblegum. The new formula should be available at any dealer that carried them previously.
JMCR250
8/1/2020 7:56am
I always use a plastic grocery bag around the filter when I remove it to prevent dirt from falling in the airboot. Try to clean several filters at a time. I have been using the Maxima spray on cleaner, which works pretty well. Let it sit for about 15 minutes then rinse and wash in Dawn dishwashing soap. The filter will stink like hell for a few days when using the Maxima stuff, so I let them air out (off-gas) for a few days outside. Bel Ray filter oil with no grease on the lip.
aspiess328
8/1/2020 8:06am
Another guy here that uses NoToil. OxiClean to clean them, either in the sink or washing machine. OxiClean has the same active ingredients as the NoToil filter wash (apparently. I mean I read it here on Vital and it works, so it must be true!) and the oxiclean is cheaper.

Then as another member commented, get yourself a sauce squeeze bottle (you can find them at the local store or Wally World or whatever) and fill it with your filter oil of choice. It makes applying filter oil a breeze!

I clean all dirty filters at once, then oil as needed. I have a smaller clear tote for storing the dirty filters until it's time to wash the batch of them.
kb228
8/1/2020 8:07am
No toil’s powder in a tub of hot water. Squeeze it about 35 times and its clean.
brocster
8/1/2020 8:53am
Started off as a gasoline guy

Later switched to mineral spirits in a 1gal tub. Built a little stand out of aluminum expanded metal to go in the bottom that allowed spirit re use with all of the solids collected at the bottom after sitting, so just discolored spirits for re use. Used as weed killer when a fresh batch was needed. After moving to California, different story. I would soak up with sta dri then discard with trash.

Tried notoil years ago and didn’t like that you had to have the “special cleaner” found out here (vital) that you can use oxy clean. And been using it ever since. Kick myself in the ass for not switching sooner.

Quit using grease on the lip around 1990

Used bags to install/remove

Learned a trick today though, will be using a strip of tape on top from now on. Thanks for that!

Post a reply to: Your air filter cleaning technique

The Latest