Your Supercross attendance?

12/11/2017 9:24pm Edited Date/Time 12/13/2017 3:24am
Has your Supercross attendance diminished in recent years?

I used to get really fired up to attend at least two Anaheim races every year up until about 5 yrs ago....maybe it's because life has been so hectic recently and it's been more convenient to watch from the couch in HD? Maybe the days of MC, RC, JS, and RV were just more exciting? 2 strokes were more entertaining? No more tailgating allowed in Anaheim?

Probably a combination of all the above...

I'm gonna try to get to A1 this year but I just don't see the excitement on the gate anymore. I'm looking forward to see how Roczen does...I also hope Anderson is in the mix because he's the most capable of making things interesting...Barcia would be entertaining if he could run the pace. Could Reed mix it up for a race or two again? Who am I missing??? Can Wilson or Bagget get up front? Who is going to surprise us?
|
ACBraap
Fantasy
450th
12/11/2017 9:38pm
More and more I can’t handle the crowds. Seems like every year it’s more monster truck fans and fewer mx enthusiasts. Being in the NW, I’ve found it preferable to hit an early round like Phoenix, when the points are tighter, the gates more full, and I get a sunny weekend of MTB as a bonus. One a year is about max for me though.
Rhino
12/11/2017 9:54pm
3 since 4 strokes took over. ONLY because the old lady had never been. 2 Outdoor nats because of Stankdog, and RBSR this year for the 2 strokes.
We left when everyone else did, right after the 2 strokes.
SX is just not as entertaining, it sounds horrible, and doesn't smell good.

The late 80's thru early 2000s were great. For the money, the headaches, and dealing with a bunch of poser bro's, It kinda sucks now.

I could hack it for 2 strokes.

seth505
Fantasy
1048th
12/11/2017 9:57pm
I kind of want to attend A1 to cheer for Roczen just for showing up, independent of how he finishes. The last really exciting one for me was when James was headin to the front but then pitched it in the whoops unfortunately.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
763rd
12/11/2017 10:03pm
Inflated ticket prices and travel cost.. reason I rarely go know from here in Denver.

The Shop

hyler199
12/11/2017 10:49pm
No more Toronto and no more Detroit for me so looks like its TV for me
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
12/11/2017 10:58pm
Last year was the first year we couldn't buy tickets well in advance right at the stadium, which we didn't find out until we drove to the stadium to buy 16 tickets for our crew. Then they were only available through a broker like ticket master and they had their percentage added on so we said fuck it and didn't go to any SX races last year for the first time in decades. We always went to A-1, San Diego and one other Anaheim round until last year. So one of the guys in our group got a projection TV and showed the races on the side of his trailer out at Ocotillo Wells. Now our whole group, (6-7 families of 4 or more) all get together and watch A-1 and the beginning rounds out in the desert. I usually bought a minimum of 5 tickets for A-1. For me it's cheaper to go camping Friday-Sunday and get 3 days of riding in, than it is to take 5 people to the stadium. Plus the last few years the whole "You can't go in the pits from here, you have to go through this gate, if you're not in by 5pm you can't come back in because they wanted to discourage tailgating, they only have 1 gate you HAVE to leave and re-enter through and it's a crowded pushing shoving cluster fuck, you can only sit in one section now for practice so the food lines are stupid long, and it's packed in that section, grouchy grumpy security guards, $20.00 parking" etc etc. The final straw was not being able to drive to the stadium a few months before and get our seats altogether, plus the extra fees per ticket for ticket broker. At that point we threw up our hands and said fuck you guys we're over it, I'll just watch the shit on TV, fuck it I give, you win have fun Laughing We won't miss Glen Helen though.... that's a given Cool
Tonynz
12/12/2017 12:13am
Going to A2 and Glendale, same last year. As well as 3 days riding ( maybe 4 if body holds ups ) .
5th year we have come over for 2 rounds.
12/12/2017 2:44am
Indianapolis every year. And of course we hit up Redbuuuuud and Ironman during the outdoor series
Acidreamer
12/12/2017 3:47am
Went to my first one at indy last year. Fully intend on going in 2018. Its a good $600 trip after you consider good seats, hotel, gas etc for the weekend. Thats why i dont go to detroit too.
Indy mxer
12/12/2017 3:50am
Used to go to Indy every year but haven't been in a few. HD tv is just too good.
I may take the wife this year since it's a 250 east/west.

I live 1.5 hours from the Ironman and went the first couple years. But I don't now. No real drama.
The crowd size this year reflected that. Even though the weather was perfect here.

Riders are just trying to get the season over with.
If it wasn't for Herlings this year there wouldn't have been any excitement. There was about a 1% chance Tomac wasn't going to win the title.
MX Sports needs to do something to make the races at the end of the year more relevant.
MudPup545
12/12/2017 5:26am
I was hit and miss in Detroit. This year I told myself I was done. I just grew sick of the whole atmosphere. The sport is promoted and displayed as if it were a monster truck rally. The music over powers the engine sound, the announcer (Lurch?) is annoying beyond words. Sitting next to people that are more concerned about beer consumption than what's going on on the track is rude as hell when sitting next to a family. No pits in Detroit, which is now off the schedule anyways. That at other reasons (cost, the traffic... Etc...) has made my HDTV and couch look like a much better option.
YZfan1230
12/12/2017 5:35am Edited Date/Time 12/12/2017 5:36am
I went to Toronto twice now, once in 14 when Stewart mopped the field (which was a pretty awesome race) and I went March this year. Considering it's the only Canadian race and it's closest to me, it's the only race I go to as a Canadian fan. Honestly, watching Toronto this year was kinda boring. Opening ceremonies was probably the best part. The heats, semis and LCQ's were meh. The mains were absolute trash.
motomike137
12/12/2017 5:43am Edited Date/Time 12/12/2017 6:08am
I have to admit my desire to attend SX in person has really dwindled. It started with the move from the Silverdome to Ford Field. The Silverdome was a fantastic venue and Ford Field sucked in comparison. I think it had much to do with the so so attendance in Detroit. The TV package is so good that it made it an easy decision to stay home. I will never feel this way about the Nationals though.
12/12/2017 5:48am
New Orleans is 30 minutes away from me so the last time I attended an SX in person was 2012 when it was last in the Superdome. I would concede and go to Houston but they haven't been there the last 2 years either. I will be going to Houston since they are finally going back there and I May even try to catch Dallas or Atlanta.
downard254
12/12/2017 5:52am Edited Date/Time 12/12/2017 5:53am
I'm done with going to SX races. It's really only about a 3-3 1/2 hour show, and it's just not worth the drive, expense, and dealing with the crowd. The older I get, the less I like being around people. Racing enthusiasts on the other hand, I can hang with all day and bench race. Seems that most at SX attendee's aren't there for the racing as much as for the drinking. Then, like mentioned above, the price you pay for the ticket, and see the actual ticket price on the stub, kind of makes you think. I'll stick with MX, nice all day affair.Smile
bball35
12/12/2017 6:01am
I still get as excited now as I did in 97 when I first witness the greatest sport on the planet. Unfortunately the last few years I have been unable to attend Atlanta because of work. It kills me when the supercross is in the ATL and I cannot be there.

As for some saying it is not worth the $$ I do not get that. I go at 12 and go to the pits and then watch practice for the rest of the afternoon. It is a 10-11 hour event. What other sporting event can you sit in a world class stadium and be entertained all day??
billyp330
12/12/2017 6:17am
I really don't get all the complaining on here. I get it that prices are getting higher and higher, but that is the case for anything. I love supercross/motocross and therefore will always try to attend at least one round of each every year. These crybabies saying it just isn't the same these days because of 4 strokes are retarded. Sorry, but its true. The sport is still the same today as it was 15 years ago, the most bada$$ athletes in the world compete on gnarly tracks for mostly just pride and bragging rights. Oh, but now the most elite riders also fight for millions of dollars, adding even more motivation for the inspiring champions. Stop all the crying and support the sport that you all supposedly love. Sorry for rant....
dl117
Fantasy
2546th
12/12/2017 6:22am
I went to Minneapolis this year and I think that was $500 for a family of 4, hotel, tickets, and dinner and cocktails after.

I said I was not going this year, then on e of my buddies called my wife and said he got a suite so she agreed to 2 tickets in there at 150 each.
DYE
12/12/2017 6:25am
I’ve been to Indy sx for the last 8 years. I had planned on giving it up for a lot of the same reasons mentioned above. Last year went back on a spur of the moment with a group of friends and raced the IXCR about an hour away the next day and just camped at the track. Saved a lot of money on the hotel and had a blast. Plan on doing the same this year.
motomike137
12/12/2017 6:31am Edited Date/Time 12/12/2017 6:31am
I will admit that if Indy were one of the Triple Crown races I would probably go. I love the idea of the new format. Getting to see the stars line up three times and go at it sounds great to me.
12/12/2017 6:40am
Well, the only one close to me is Daytona. I usually go. Went last year and had a good time on race day. We made the mistake of camping there and it was a 24 hour party with loud music, out of control cars burning rubber, insane golf cart drivers, lunatic moped riders, drunken bicyclists, etc. Needless to say we will not be camping there again.

Other than that, the Daytona experience is a pretty good one. I like the sort of quasi hybrid track. Plus, the seats have now been upgraded and there's more restrooms. Fortunately you don't have to piss into a trough anymore with 15 dudes splashing all around you. All that said, I much prefer outdoor nats, but the closest now days is Muddy Creek. Kind of far, but we will make the drive at some point.
MELTON139
Fantasy
3590th
12/12/2017 6:41am
I didn't get to go the last two years since I had a babies, but will be taking them to their first SX at Houston this year, and gonna try to sneak out of the house and go to either Atlanta, Daytona, or Tampa this year with the buddies. I still feel like a little kid when I walk the pits at the races! I don't plan on missing another year for a long time. Really like what their doing with the added amateur days and the triple race formats.Took my daughter who was 9 months at the time to her first race at the Jacksonville MXGP and Osborne took a pic with her and my wife. He came around and was watching the last 450 moto in the center of the track and when we was getting back on his 4x4 to leave we asked him for a picture, and he couldn't have been any nicer about it. All of his crew guys were waiting on him to get on and he took his time to take a pic sign an autograph and talk for a sec. That is why I love our sport, (most) of the top guys are genuinely good dudes. I remember going to Atlanta about 5 years ago and my buddies gf really wanted a Dungey autograph so my buddy stood in a line and waited for him to come out of his semi for about an hour. Dungey came out saw the line and started taking pics and signing autographs. My buddy got about 3 people away and Dungey mechanic came and had to drag him back, i guess they had something to do lol, but while he was getting pushed away he was constantly apologizing and saying he had to go. My buddy came back to me and wasn't upset or anything because he could see Dungey was really sorry and wanted to stay. Then you have the guys like Chad who won't sign a number plate lol
Bruneval
12/12/2017 6:43am
As a Brit living in America, I think it's amazing and go to as many as I can. I love it. Shame East Rutherford, NJ isn't in the schedule this year, but a trip to Houston and to the Foxboro will suffice. Some of you guys are pretty hard to please or maybe you're just bored of it by now, as I think it's a great show and have taken many non-moto friends who have really enjoyed it.

I do get the point about some of the people who attend. At the Foxboro round in 2016, a bunch of swearing drunks smoking in their seats and spilling beer on a dad and his two boys who had the misfortune to be sat in front of them took every inch of restraint. They came close to getting lynched by those around them, but it was dealt with pretty quickly and they were removed, but still, it does not leave a good impression.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
12/12/2017 6:44am
Mine has stayed pretty consistent. ?
BobKerr
12/12/2017 6:48am
I used to go to Atlanta every year for many years. I went to Charlotte at least once, but that was way back. Wife has no interest in SX, and neither does my son, so I haven't been in many years.
12/12/2017 6:49am
GuyB wrote:
Mine has stayed pretty consistent. ?
How come I can never find you at Daytona? I won't ask you to scratch my back or anything. I mean, I met Jenny Taft this past Daytona, but no Gibby.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2478th
12/12/2017 7:10am
Been hitting 1-2 every year for the past 6 years, usually San Diego with some ride days right after with the kids, but now with one moved to WI, we're hitting Vegas and probably 1-2 Texas rounds. With ride days immediately following, of course!
kkawboy14
12/12/2017 7:11am
Dallas/Houston every chance I get!
JAC
12/12/2017 7:13am
I used to attend either Dallas or St. Louis. I love Supercross. I especially love watching practice. But, I admit that watching my son participate in the races changes the experience completely. And watching practice on a website and watching the races on TV is something close to torture.

Joey
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
12/12/2017 7:36am
I went to Houston 16 years in a row

Post a reply to: Your Supercross attendance?

The Latest