Your 'Pure Pain' injuries from Motocross.

Edited Date/Time 8/10/2015 9:28am
Ill start,

It was 1998 and the place was Desertmartin Ireland, we had just got there for a weeks worth of racing which cost my dad an absolute bomb (getting from NW England to NE Ireland + Bike & spares & entry fees etc).
Anyway it was Monday and my first race, i was 3 gates from the far right (the inside and not the best pic), gate drops and i was going pretty well in around 6th place and we hit the first corner! All of a sudden about 25 of us tried for the same line and a few of us hit the deck like a bag of spanners. Naturally we all scrambled for our bikes, mine was to my left and stuck wide open on its left side, i remember kinda running to grab the clutch and falling again & as i went to break my fall my left hand went straight into the swingarm and slipped into the spokes...

Obviously it was not pretty and i think the bike must have been cutting out on its own or im sure i wouldn't have a hand left. Either way it didn't really hurt so i managed to get back on in 2nd to last and ride the 20 minute race until the end, but i could tell there was something majorly wrong in that glove. (i finished in 2nd to last by the way lol).
So i come off the track and cant even stop as i cant pull that clutch in, iv'e got the officials screaming at me for riding into the paddock so i have to just ghost ride it into the van at 5mph hahaha.

The hand is twice its normal size and my dad reacons that ill be ok tomorrow and should sleep on it. HA. I tried to 'sleep on it' but the pain was unreal, still my dad says i should go out in practise and see how it feels! (it clearly felt like two bits of bone were being prized apart if i made a fist). I guess my dad was just pissed off that all the money and effort was down the drain 5 secconds into day 1 haha.
So we get in the Ambulance with another boy who had broken his leg and go to get x-ray, it turns out i had broken the upper Phalange just below my knuckle & snapped the Metacarpus (common with pro Boxers). So the week was ruined and that was that.

But the pain was worse than any Ankle or Wrist breaks iv'e ever had and still to this day i cannot write a sentence without having to stop and rub it.

(i hope i haven't bored you too much, i just like to paint a propper picture when explaining) i will upload a pic of my hand now.
|
8/7/2015 5:01am
Put your purse down son and get back out there. It's just a little fracture. My dad would have been pissed if I fell into my own wheel and blew the week.

I can't see how you could stick your hand in the wheel of your wide open bike and not be a bloody mess.
MXD
8/7/2015 6:08am
The most painful injury I have ever had was a broken wallet.
Old-Man
8/7/2015 6:33am
Getting over "Pain Meds".......DONE!
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
8/7/2015 6:56am
Dislocated shoulder.

The Shop

8/7/2015 6:58am
Broken ribs- gasping for air like a fish on land, wondering if your lungs will ever fill again, while you bleat like a wounded sheep.
I broke my femur at the same time and hardly noticed that, until later.
Thelen20
8/7/2015 7:00am
Myke wrote:
Dislocated shoulder.
+1

3 surgeries all stemming from that first dislocation, what a headache that has been
swtwtwtw
8/7/2015 7:06am
shattered scapula and broken ribs with broken sternum
TXDirt
8/7/2015 7:21am
1. Dislocated shoulder
2. Bruised sack around heart
3. broken ribs

* all different crashes.
Parris
8/7/2015 7:35am
I was racing at the Whitesburg Ga. Mx in 1974 and sprained both my ankles when I bottom out on a cr 125. I didn't crash. I rode back to the pits. Leaned the bike against the car and had to have two men pick me up off the bike and sit me on the trailer. The horror .the horror
KTMShane699
8/7/2015 7:36am
My current broken tib/fib that destroyed both tibeal plateaus is probably the most painful and frustrating. Ended up with about 25 screws, 6 plates and some wire. Still going through rehab where the struggle is real...

Shane
rallendude
8/7/2015 7:43am Edited Date/Time 8/7/2015 7:43am
Landed a double after highsiding over another guy's bike on my left side. Broken collar bone, scapula, 9 ribs, knocked out, big hole in my lung. Spent a week in ICU, two days under on the vent, two chest tubes (big ones, like garden hoses). They told the wife I might not make it through the night. That was alarming when I woke up.

Missed a month of work. Six years ago last week.

Edit: forgot to mention a vertebrae in my neck.
ManuMX
8/7/2015 7:46am
I had different crashes in my career and I can say I was lucky every time.
Anyway only 2 times I've broken something.
The first bone I've ever broken was my left wrist during an Italian Championship race in Montevarchi in 2004 (I was still riding my CR 85). I remember my start wasn't good and I tried to pass someone changing my line in a corner but I encountered a muddy section and I felt down at down speed...but I felt on my wrist with all my own body's weight and I felt a crack in my bones... Anyway I don't know how I jumped on my bike again and I finished the race (I did the last 2 laps in these conditions) and after passing trough the finish line I left the bike there and I ran into the infirmary GrinningGrinning
The second big crash with some broken bones was due to my mistake in 2011.... I was trying to do my best lap during the qualifying race but I lost the balance on a rut before a jump and I jumped out of the track....was a bit terrifying, but luckily I felt down on the side of the jump and I've broken only 3 ribs....I did the race normally after that big crash, but the day after I went to the hospital because I wasn't able to breath and they found a little oedemaUnsureGrinningGrinning
And that's all. 15 years of racing and only two times broken bones Cool
jeffro503
8/7/2015 8:39am Edited Date/Time 8/7/2015 8:48am
My list of "pure pain " injuries? I don't even know where to start haha.

Maybe having my arm look like I had three elbows in it.

Laying on a hospital bed with two tubes coming out from both my lungs , with a masked strapped to my face forcing air in , in the ICU for 5 days. Almost all my ribs were shattered. Side note : eyeballs were bruised from the impact , yellow and swollen and it ached to blink.

Having the end of my middle finger ripped off. Actually that didn't really hurt , just looked bad.

OH....getting my left knee cap damn near ripped off from my foot peg , severing all the nerves. I didn't hurt , but a few hours later when I started getting really tired it was from the loss of blood. My boot was full of it and it was raining , and didn't know.

getting my front wheel clipped at the top of the Washougal down hill. Skidded down the entire face of the hill into the S turns. It removed a LOT of skin! had to have help from friends with a hose to wet me down because my jersey was stuck to me.

I have more , but that'll do for now.
Outsider
8/7/2015 8:46am
I'm lucky, cracked ribs with a ruptured spleen
Hman144
Fantasy
713th
8/7/2015 8:47am
Left bike mid-air and landed on my hip/back. Tore something in my lower back muscles.

Every time I tried to sit up, I just about passed out. Finally, after about 30 minutes or so, I was able to get up and get to the truck. Muscles knotted up. It was all soft tissue stuff, and not fun.
IWreckALot
8/7/2015 8:48am
I haven't ever had any major injuries but I was riding a wheelie on my TTR230 one time and hit a go kart and I think I broke my pinkie.

Another time a squirrel ran in front of me on a trail and I ran it over. I didn't get injured or anything but I felt pretty bad.
IWreckALot
8/7/2015 8:52am
Outsider wrote:
I'm lucky, cracked ribs with a ruptured spleen
In all honesty, ribs are the worst pain I've had from injuries.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/7/2015 9:00am
Myke wrote:
Dislocated shoulder.
I've done this six times, and each one is in a dead tie for 2nd worst injury pain I've ever felt.

The worst one still makes me shudder.... I was playriding with my buddy, roosting the mud puddles and just generally having a good time out in the fields and trails of my hometown. We both spotted a huge lake of a puddle, right next to a fence. I was slightly ahead of him and thought, "If I squeeze him over toward the fence, he can't push me into the puddle."
I'm sure he was thinking, "If I push him into the puddle, he can't squeeze me off into the fence!"
Anyway, he had hit the gas way before I did, and didn't let off when I gassed it and darted to the right. His left hand, arm or handlebar hit my right elbow and my bars went full left, leaning me straight into him. We collided so hard, I fell from the bike and slipped off his rear fender onto the spinning rear wheel. He thought he had made it clear, so he began clutching it, wondering why the bike was bogging (it was because I was stuffed under the rear fender, getting dragged.) I had my right arm and head hanging out the right side, and the rest of my body hanging out the left. Meanwhile, his tire was burning a hole right through my back. It took him a few downshifts before he realized what was happening and finally let off.
I didn't break any bones, but I lost a lot of skin. I still have a scar that goes from my tricep around the back of my armpit and over to the shoulder blade.
Grizz
8/7/2015 9:02am
Lacerated spleen felt good.
8/7/2015 9:07am
jeffro503 wrote:
My list of "pure pain " injuries? I don't even know where to start haha. Maybe having my arm look like I had three elbows in...

Laying on a hospital bed with two tubes coming out from both my lungs , with a masked strapped to my face forcing air in , in the ICU for 5 days. Almost all my ribs were shattered. Side note : eyeballs were bruised from the impact , yellow and swollen and it ached to blink.

Having the end of my middle finger ripped off. Actually that didn't really hurt , just looked bad.

OH....getting my left knee cap damn near ripped off from my foot peg , severing all the nerves. I didn't hurt , but a few hours later when I started getting really tired it was from the loss of blood. My boot was full of it and it was raining , and didn't know.

getting my front wheel clipped at the top of the Washougal down hill. Skidded down the entire face of the hill into the S turns. It removed a LOT of skin! had to have help from friends with a hose to wet me down because my jersey was stuck to me.

I think u need a new hobby.
jeffro503
8/7/2015 9:11am
jeffro503 wrote:
My list of "pure pain " injuries? I don't even know where to start haha. Maybe having my arm look like I had three elbows in...

Nah , I'm just getting warmed up haha. Laughing
8/7/2015 9:15am
jeffro503 wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:
Motocross is worth it,

Talking of pure pain, im just on the bog pushing out what feels like king kongs thumb wrapped in barbed wire
mx617
8/7/2015 9:32am
rallendude wrote:
Landed a double after highsiding over another guy's bike on my left side. Broken collar bone, scapula, 9 ribs, knocked out, big hole in my lung...
Landed a double after highsiding over another guy's bike on my left side. Broken collar bone, scapula, 9 ribs, knocked out, big hole in my lung. Spent a week in ICU, two days under on the vent, two chest tubes (big ones, like garden hoses). They told the wife I might not make it through the night. That was alarming when I woke up.

Missed a month of work. Six years ago last week.

Edit: forgot to mention a vertebrae in my neck.
Ouch! How'd the wife take it? Mine is ready to strangle me after my broken back and wants me to quit lol.
jeffro503
8/7/2015 9:36am
jeffro503 wrote:
Motocross is worth it,

Talking of pure pain, im just on the bog pushing out what feels like king kongs thumb wrapped in barbed wire
I DID NOT need to know that Travis! DizzyDizzy
Grieby54
8/7/2015 9:37am
Broken back. Fractures in the L5 and pretty much no disk left between L5 and S1.
Roostermx58
8/7/2015 9:39am
IWreckALot wrote:
I haven't ever had any major injuries but I was riding a wheelie on my TTR230 one time and hit a go kart and I think...
I haven't ever had any major injuries but I was riding a wheelie on my TTR230 one time and hit a go kart and I think I broke my pinkie.

Another time a squirrel ran in front of me on a trail and I ran it over. I didn't get injured or anything but I felt pretty bad.
You must be lucky you've had no major injuries since you wreck a lot.

Post a reply to: Your 'Pure Pain' injuries from Motocross.

The Latest