Your Embarrasing MX Story ?

Rupert X
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 9:52pm

Were you the guy that walked in on the gramma in the port-a-potty ?

Did you line up with the Schoolboys on the gate thinking it was 40+ ?

Did you remember everything - yet somehow forget to bring your helmet ?

Did you get into a fight after pulling off the track and decide it would be smart

to remove your helmet ?

Run out of gas during the first lap of practice ?

Hand the ol-lady at sign-up a condom instead of your AMA card ?

C'mon, let it go........we won't laugh.

|
12/19/2009 11:15am
Probably the stupidest thing I ever did was come in from practice after doing some big doubles and discovering my triple clamp bolts were finger-tight. Oops...forgot that step.
And one time my spark plug fell out first lap of practice.
fencepost
12/19/2009 11:20am
Drove to Bean canyon ( roughly 1-1/2hours), for got my helmet. drove back home to get it and came back to ride for 2hrs. I did not start riding until1pm. Either stupid or love motocross. I like to think the latter.
Cygnus
12/19/2009 11:22am
Every time I get on the bike.
smc916
12/19/2009 11:24am
I'm notorious for forgetting my boots. It's so bad that when I go riding all of my friends make sure to ask me if I have them, they've all had to wait on me one time or another as I turn around and go back home to get them.

The Shop

Yaya
Fantasy
2539th
12/19/2009 12:08pm
Got stuck in a rut on my Honda when I was 12, while practice was going on! Thanks to the guy on the RM125 who helped me get unstuck, wherever you are ha
MX45
12/19/2009 12:10pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:32pm
At Reddick, I filled all the bikes inside the trailer with gas. My bike was outside the trailer. I ran of gas last lap of moto 2 while working on first place. It burped on the face of the center table, and I decided to pull out and not jump it. I was happy about that atleast.
So we get back to the trailer and start unbolting everything thinking it was something eletrical. You know, cause I remembered filling all the bikes. Go to pull the tank off and you know when you go to pick up something heavy, but its really light. It all made sense at that moment.

Went on the wrong gate back in the day at Dade City on 80s. I pulled the holeshot on Ryan Davis in the A class. Was so stoked, then when I realized what I had done I pulled off the track, only to crash into a big hole. My class came by and I jumped in behind them so it all worked out. Holeshot on the A class still counts.
hoppsan
12/19/2009 12:23pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:32pm
Well I did run out of gas 2 laps into my very first timed qualifier, that was pretty embarrassing. My dad came running with the can like a freaking moose and I just stood there looking rather dumb.

I also ran out of gas on the first lap in a 80cc race when I was 13.

On another race in the 125cc class I ran out of gas when it was half a lap to go, and I was in such a good position. Sad Worst of all was that it was as far away from the pits as possible, as low (elevation wise) as you could get, on a freaking sand track from hell. Gotta give my dad props on that one though, he was almost perfect in estimating how much fuel I'd need for that heat.

Yeah, I've ran out of gas a lot in my life.

Also forgot my helmet on a race, made my mom drive all the way to the track to bring it to me.

Forgetting your boots is a classic as well, had to buy new ones at the track one time because I had forgotten mine at home.

Once I was called up on the podium as the overall 3rd, which surprised me and I thought it was wrong, but everyone insisted that it was the case. Then once I got up there they figured out that they had made a mistake and I was 4th overall. Not at all my fault but that was still kind of embarrassing.

Right, forgot that one. I once started (as in the start of a race, not just random practice day) with the choke out. After 2 corners the bike died and I threw my hands in the air looking at my dad in the pits in a disappointed manner. I tried to start it but it didn't work. Then he came running and told me that the choke was out.

Oh dear, I'm such a goon.
hellion
12/19/2009 12:51pm
I had the worst thing that can ever happen to a person happen to me way back in 1985 and I still have the mental scars to prove it. I had the normal pre race jitters and decided to go to the porta can to ease my pain. Well, I did, and as soon as my deposit hit the liquid it splashed right back up to me, hit me dead center. I ran for my life back to my trailer where I proceeded to wash my privates with first contact cleaner ( oh yes it burned ) and then windex. It was embarrasing running through the pits with my pants down, but nowhere near as bad as what caused me to make the run.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
12/19/2009 1:02pm
At a small SX race there was about 3500 people in the stands and durrring practice, I was cutting the track to measure up a triple right in front of the stands. I was going under the track markers when my visor got cought pulling me off the back and my bike while it went ghost riding unto the track.

A guy named Russ Wagemen started yelling at me right in front of everyone for cutting him off and made me look like an idiot. It was ok tho, I beat him that night.

12/19/2009 1:13pm
Forgetting boots really blows. I drove two hours to Tomahawk on Saturday practice day. Had the bike unloaded and getting dressed when I realized I forgot my boots. Went to my buddy's house and borrowed his but missed practice day. Next day I holeshot Vet class and Jim Bull ran the photo on the cover of Motorcycle Racing Action And there I am with borrowed boots.
12/19/2009 1:19pm
I was riding at a place called Allen Ranch on Oklahoma (Wolfman knows it)... well it had been a while since they held a race and the pond in the middle of the track was mossed over. My dad and I were doing some testing so he waved me back from the other side of the track to change some stuff.... well i cut across the infield and hit that pond WFO! End of the day!
suzrider982
12/19/2009 1:23pm
I have two pairs of the same boots. I got to the track and came to find out i had to left boats. A diffrent time i left my padding to my helmet home.
FlaNard
12/19/2009 1:27pm
The first one that pops into mind was when I went to ride this indoor arenacross track with my then girlfriends dad. It just so happened that the rest of the family thought it would be a good day to come watch us ride. No problem I thought, since I had this track wired the weekend before. But like a true dumbass trying to impress everyone, I didnt take a sight lap. I just came out cranked to 11 from the word go. Everything was going fine until I came around one of the corners that just so happened to be blue grooved as anything I have ever ridden in my life. I slide about 15 feet on my ass sans bike. I could hear the laughter. Laughing
jmc2
Fantasy
1679th
12/19/2009 1:36pm
Good question..

Ran out of gas during practice......looked like I had enough.

A guy on a quad rode out to me, I caught a ride back to the truck and rode back with my gas container put gas in and held onto the container and rode my bike back (multitasking)..went to the line with 1.5 laps of practice...
MX45
12/19/2009 1:38pm
These are just dumb, but I rode a practice session with straight gas (2stroke). Bike ran like a bat out of hell. Never blew either.

Also did a break in on a fresh top end with no coolant.
JW381
12/19/2009 1:41pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:32pm
Run out of gas during the first lap of practice ?

Not quite, but close. Me and my buddies were at a private track, putting in some laps. A few laps in my bike started to back fire a lot and even stall for a brief second going into corners. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. My friend asked if I put gas in it, and I said of course! There was even a good amount in there before I added more.

By now it won't even start, even after our futile bump start attempts. Luckily the track is up on top of a hill (it's an amazing private track, definitely pro caliber. We can hardly ride the damn thing) so we could coast down the hill to my truck. I drained the carb, checked the spark, and had pretty much come to the conclusion that I needed my valves re-adjusted or something 4-$troke related.

Then my friend Sam pops off my gas cap to see the inside dryer than the Sahara. As you can probably guess, they haven't let me live it down, almost a year later.
JW381
12/19/2009 1:46pm
Cygnus wrote:
Every time I get on the bike.
Me two m8. me to.
M-M
12/19/2009 1:53pm
My first race.

I discovered that i had put too much leather wax on my boots. Trying to grip an ali framed bike doesn't work. I took freestyle up in that race.

Another one, not me but my dad trying to look "cool" side saddling his bike back to the van. Result.....ended up falling off into a bush. Laughed so much Laughing
12/19/2009 2:06pm
M-M wrote:
My first race. I discovered that i had put too much leather wax on my boots. Trying to grip an ali framed bike doesn't work. I...
My first race.

I discovered that i had put too much leather wax on my boots. Trying to grip an ali framed bike doesn't work. I took freestyle up in that race.

Another one, not me but my dad trying to look "cool" side saddling his bike back to the van. Result.....ended up falling off into a bush. Laughed so much Laughing
When was this 1930?

Smile
JOHN CHOATE
12/19/2009 2:07pm
I was racing at an International Motocross Championship in the Dominican Republic. On the sighting lap I stopped on a small ledge next to a rather large mud puddle. After I figured out which line I would take once the race started, I put my bike in gear and as I started to take off, my rear wheel slid off of the ledge and into the mud I went. I had on nearly all white Answer Gear that Eddie Cole(then owner of Answer) had given me. This mud was at the bottom of a large viewing area and there were several THOUSAND people there watching me scramble around in this mud trying to upright my bike.

I pull up to the starting line completely covered in mud before the race even starts! Fortunately, I went out and won the moto which helped me to save face. I ended up giving all the gear away right after I got back to the pits.
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
12/19/2009 2:21pm
Funny stuff.

I used to race my 450 in the 250 (now 450)A and Open (400+cc) A classes at local races because I wanted to ride two classes, but it was technically illegal (because your bike had to be either a 250 or Open bike for the day) and I'd get protested and DQ'd, but I didn't care, I just wanted to race. Anyways, I was in an awesome battle for the lead at one of our local tracks and came around to get black flagged. Thinking it was because someone complained, I kept racing, and when I came around again after getting the lead the flagger was standing in front of me. Turns out, no one had complained, I raced a moto early, had to go back to the start for my real moto. Then, the early 450 Honda's overheat a lot, so sitting on the line waiting for my moto it started to over heat bad... I shut it off, let it cool till the gate dropped, fired it up and came through teh pack to win. Exciting motos!

The best one I ever saw, thankfully wasn't me, was a local beginner race. A kid rips a gnarly holeshot only to turn the wrong way at the first corner and start heading backwards down the track. True story!
Highsider
12/19/2009 2:35pm Edited Date/Time 12/20/2009 6:24am
Back in my drinking days I forgot the bike but had plenty of beer.
I am NOT telling any of the really embarrassing stories..until maybe later.
Back in my drinking days, I loaded up my pickup for a two hour drive to my first race of the season, after a night of Cinco de Mayo partying.

I stopped at McDonalds and stuck on my numbers and continued up the road.

I was almost there and I looked in my mirror and said to myself "Who's freeking number is THAT?" I had to peel off the numbers and re-stick them in the right order.
I noticed I was leaning to one side as I walked to sign-in, also.Blush
digger
Fantasy
3871st
12/19/2009 2:48pm Edited Date/Time 12/19/2009 2:50pm
I did an entire lap at a mud and snow h/s race backwards. I got the holeshot, and made a left at what I tought was the first turn, . It was the first turn ,but from 2 weeks earlier. They change the direction of the track every race, and I missed the riders meeting that morning. The best part about whole mess is that my friend has it all on video, and the comments he makes while I'm going backwards on the track are funny as hell. Embarrasingly good times.....
Loose
12/19/2009 2:59pm
Grabbed the front brake while rolling up to the gate and the bike proceeded to lay down for a rest.....
TMV
12/19/2009 3:12pm Edited Date/Time 12/19/2009 4:07pm
First time I rode my brand new Yamaha 125 YZ at 14 (1994). I was all skinny and It was the first time I rode a 125. At the beginning I was just cruising around the track to evaluate the potential of the bike. Then I decided to put my two wheels on the track. Hit the clutch and open wide. My neck didn't support the weight of my head and helmet due to the acceleration. All I remember is me looking to the sky , stucked in that position for about 40 yards not knowing where and how it was going to end... I was quite ashamed but nobody saw me, I stopped and laughed a lot :-)
Jake-247
12/19/2009 3:53pm Edited Date/Time 12/19/2009 3:53pm
I covered my bike fully in armoural, if thats how you spell it. Makes the bike go really shiny but slippery when on the seat. Rode out and once I hit the 1st jump my ass just went straight back over the rear fender in true goon style, it was like a superman without taking my feet off the pegs, if you can imagine that. I felt like the biggest dumbass when I pulled back up.
twister
12/19/2009 4:05pm
I had worked hard on my bike all week to get it ready for the upcoming race.My kid and i were at practice the day before the race.I was just following him around taking it easy.Afterwards in the pit i was talking to a guy teling him about all the stuff i got done during the week and how the bike was ready for the race.He looks down and notices my front axel nut is gone.I felt like such an ass.
Put a spare on and was good to go.But i did check everything once again to make sure.
JPT
12/19/2009 4:06pm
Told this one before, but it still makes my face red. Was living in Houston and went to the old TT/ST National double at the Astrodome. They had a motorcycle show going on in conjunction with it. Roger DeCoster was going to be at the Suzuki stand for autographs. I went early to be sure to meet him. When we got there he'd gone to dinner so we walked around looking at bikes and drinking those 22oz Longhorns. Suddenly he walks in front of me so I say "Mr. Decoster?". He stops and smiles and I try to say something bright and witty except nothing even approaching coherent speech comes out. He looks puzzled and I try again with the same result. Now he's looking at my wife to decipher but she's blending back into the crowd pretending she doesn't know me. I make one last try with absolutely no improvement, pure babble. The shock of meeting "The Man" and those Texas sized beers seemed to have rerouted my brain to mouth connection through my ass. I managed to get out "Never mind, thank you" before I slunk off to hide in a corner.
`ol Ger
12/19/2009 4:20pm
olger holeshot the 250 novice class (1979) at Haspin Raceway and led for a lap until hitting a medium speed left hand sweeper at high speed. I went out into a picnic area and hit a picnic table. Wished I would have packed a lunch...

og

Post a reply to: Your Embarrasing MX Story ?

The Latest