Your DAD, You & Motocross.

Related:
Create New Tag

6/19/2010 8:12 PM

Tell us your stories.

Okay to get sentimental.

Open up, pour out your hearts and tell us all about it.
|

6/19/2010 8:14 PM

When I broke my leg my dad had me in the pool with a snorkel and a life vest. Then had me in a canoe but kept yelling at me to go THAT way not that way.wink

|

The Villopoto strategy is simple. Get a good start and haul ass. If you don’t get a good start, haul more ass.

6/19/2010 8:22 PM

I didn't start racing till I was 19. My dad was ok with me racing if I paid my own way. Bike, truck, gear, gas money I had to do it on my own. They'd go to the races and spectate. I remember my mom hated watching the starts so she would look away. Good times though, I'm glad they got to see my obsession.

|

6/19/2010 8:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/17/2016 11:28 PM

When i first started riding at aged 6, i had a Honda Z50, and my dad had a Suzuki RMX250, he took me for a trail ride and he got excited and made a turn and went out of sight, i couldn't see him, i started puking when i finally found him because i was so nervous, lol...he said "sorry Ad, my bike has a different engine than yours, if i ride it slow i might foul the plug" ..well lets just say i learned to keep up and eventually became much faster than he was! haha

NExt one?

8 years later(i was 14, 11 years ago), we went to an international event, the track was literally made out of beach sand, and i never rode sand before, not to mention i could barely touch on my 1998 YZ125, i sucked in those sand berms because i wasn't accustomed to pinning it (the oppsosite to my home turf which was hard packed dry dirt), my dad took my YZ125 from me and said "watch me", i had never seen anything like it, he destroyed those berms and had the power on like there was no tomorrow, and since i thought i had more talent than him, i instantly did the same thing and i was one of the fastest riders in qualifying thanks to Dad dusting off his old helmet and showing me how it's done! I loved sand ever since and i love it now! Thanks Dad!

|

17 KTM 450 SXF - AMAZING!

6/19/2010 8:30 PM

Got my new yz 250f and tommorrow with be my first ride(hopefully if it doesnt rain) with my dad and his yz 426!

|

6/19/2010 8:32 PM

Not about me and my Dad exactly, but I've always enjoyed the Jody's Box that he wrote

about his relationship with his Dad. It is the best and most thought-provoking article

that I have had the pleasure of reading from "the silver fox of MXA" . I know there is a lot

of anti-Jody sentiment in this site, but if you've never read that, try to. There is plenty of

young racers that should read it also, it would do them well.

|

6/19/2010 8:39 PM

Dad gave me $90 in 1972 and told me to save it for a "real" scooter. That money was sacred. We went to Central Cycle and got a Zook TM125 for around $800 (I think) and that's what really got it going. I fell in love with red for a while but Suzuki has always been my bitch. Dad passed away in '96 and I'd give my life to talk to him now. My 6 YO daughter and I visited his gravesite on Thursday.

It leaves a big hole.

Love your dad, fellas.

|

The PD441 of Motodrive

6/19/2010 8:46 PM

Dad taught me how to ride when I was 7yrs. old on a old Honda 90 step-thru. Rode various Honda mini-bikes until I got a 125 Husky at the age of 13. (1972 and I still have it) Then in 1973 we opened a Husqvarna shop and started selling Huskys out of our truck stop/gas station. My first race was on the Husky and I proceeded to crash my brains out a few times, but won the majority of races I entered. Around this time Dad got interested in racing also. He started on a 360 Husky in the mid to early 70's. We kept our Husky business and eventually opened up a dedicated shop and started selling Huskys, Maicos and Vespas. Dad always supported me in whatever I decided to do. Got into drugs and alcohol around 75 pretty heavy and between that and racing I really didn't know what the hell I wanted to do but Dad was always there trying his best to steer me down the right road. During 77 I turned pro for a year but didn't do much as my alcohol addiction ran rampant. Between injuries I'd help Dad and a couple other riders that rode out of our shop. I continued riding/racing/drinking through most of my 30's and 40's but Dad never stopped racing until he was well into his 60's. My alcohol/drug addiction spiraled out of control as I became homeless and hopelessly unemployable. My Pa moved to FL., as he couldn't stand to see me drink myself to death. You guessed it, I followed him to FL and continued to try to get sober without much success. The whole time my Pa was always there to pick me up and dust me off when I was down and out. Finally got sober in 99 and decided to try my hand at racing again and bought me a new KTM. Dad and I traveled around FL and did many races. He again was my mechanic and I rode/raced. We still hit a lot of the local amateur and as many pro races as we can and I can now give back a bit to my Dad as he enters his 80's. I live behind his home in my own little trailer and we hang out and ride our street bikes 4 or 5 times a week. We both have Ninjas and he just bought himself a new Triumph. 80yrs. old and still riding almost everyday. Yea, we've both slowed down a bit, but not a whole hell of a lot. I'm sober 11+yrs and Dad has never given up on me through thick and thin. I'm sure I'd be dead without his never ending hope for my health and welfare. Thanks Dad, it's been a long tough road but we're both still here, keepin on.

|

The older I get, the faster I was. Posting without a cast on is fun!

6/19/2010 9:06 PM

My dad has been at the track with me in 4 different decades.One memory that stands out is when my 390 Husky went into a high speed tank slapper thru the sand whoops .I thought I was going to die, but some how managed to save it.The next lap my dad is standing at the edge of the track holding his nuts and grinning ear to ear.Not only was he my father ,he was also one of the"guys"

|

6/19/2010 9:49 PM

Best years of my life. When I was racing, my dad was not my dad, but my best friend.

|

6/19/2010 10:51 PM

the best memories i will ever have will be the time my dad and I spent at the track and the rides home in the truck. Theres just nothing better than seeing your dad happy as can be after a win, and makes for good laughs the times he comes back stomping through the pits after you sucked. lol

|

6/19/2010 11:25 PM

|

6/19/2010 11:39 PM

My dad raced in the 60's and 70's and took us to Dutch Nationals, all the Dutch GP's and Namur in the 80's.
Now I go by myself and within a few years I will take my son with me.

|

6/20/2010 1:45 AM

My dad and mom never supported me racing He was a rule with an Iron fist European father and in fact, He threw away my letter from the AMA announcing that I had qualified out of my regional qualifier for LL in 1990 in the 125C class that I went to with my buddy Ryan and his parents at Canyon Raceway in Arizona. I kept at it and finally reached the local pro level when I had that come to Jesus meeting with myself when I graduated from the college of Architecture at Arizona State University and got a real job in 2001 and hung up my gear as a competitive rider.

I am 36 now, married with a 12 year old daughter and dad still asks to this day to make sure I don’t have another one of those motorcycles.

I have not ridden in over 7 years and I am getting ready to deploy to Afghanistan in 3 weeks... the first thing I am going to do when I step foot into the greatest country on the face of the planet is visit the nearest KTM dealer to purchase a 2011 or 2012 250 SX and start riding again when I make it back!!!!

I can’t wait and pops their is nothing you can do about... oh yeah and ill be careful!

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

6/20/2010 2:10 AM

Ill let the pic tell the story:

[LINK TO IMAGE]

that is how i got my start, riding on the front of my dads Husky. We would trail ride for hours on family trips every weekend to Hollister Hills SVRA.

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

6/20/2010 4:13 AM

My dad Fred was a Rolls Royce development engineer. He used to make 1/4 scale models perfect in every degree for wind tunnel testing and exhibition display. At weekends he fixed cars for extra income and always wanted to one day own his own garage.
Chance came up and mom & dad bought a filling station/ repair garage Nr Kendal Cumbria.
My uncle gave me his old DOT 197cc motorbike, saying "if you can get it going you can have it"!
Dad explained how to clean carb, emery paper the ignition points etc but he wouldn't do the work for me, you had to learn by your own endevours.
Remember saying "I can't do something" and he replied "there's no such word as cant!"
Because running the garage was a 7 day a week occupation he didn't get to come to many races, so mum took me in the trusty vauxhall Viva and trailer.
They'd gone away one weekend on a much needed break and I was racing at Hutton Conyers track Nr Ripon. where I won severval big races including the Yorkshire grand National. Suddenly after I won the last race they appeared in my pit, been there all day but didn't want to put undue pressure on me knowing I was racing infront of them both!
Dad died in 1987 eventually from a stroke and complications but he's with me every day
helping me make choices in life.
Thanks Rup for giving me the chance to tell everyone about my dad.
Happy Fathers day weekend to everyone.
I have 3 daughters that are currently in 3 parts of the world England, India and Australia.
Since their mom and I split up 18 years ago haven't had much contact with them, just wish they could get to know their real dad a bit more.
Thankfully with Facebook I'm ablr to keep up to date with their lives.

|

www.robkinsey.com
http://robkinseyart.wordpress.com
Accountant's only look at the bottom line, whereas an Artist see's it all!

6/20/2010 4:29 AM

I had been coaching my kids soccer team for 5 years, this one particular day the other kids attention span wasn't real good. My son walks up to me and says "Dad I'm tired of this sport, these kids don't try hard enough". I want to do a sport where it's just me against them. I asked him what he had in mind, "I want to race dirt bikes!!"

Well some 20+ years earlier I had spent 12 days in intensive care from racing MX in Kansas while in the Army. So this wasn't one of those sports I was too excited to get my baby into. He didn't know I raced MX back in the day "just drag racing".

So I went out and got every piece of safety gear I could strap on the kid, and found a couple of ex pro's to teach him correctly. And now I'm not nearly as nervous watching him ride because his self confidence really shines through.

I see some of the kids I used to coach soccer with and a lot seem to be little meek kids who won't look you in the eye and hold a hand out when greeting someone. I'm more proud of my kid the way he proudly walks and will approach any adult with a beaming smile look them in the face and give a firm handshake introducing himself.

And the little (and I do mean little) shit has the girls already sending him pics of them in bikini's. His little buddy ratted him out on that while a bunch of us dad's were together, he was embarassed at 1st. But then kinda proud because none of his buddies had this happening.

|

6/20/2010 4:59 AM

That piece TREY wrote in Racer-X about his dad made funny things happen to my eyes.

|

6/20/2010 5:21 AM

|

6/20/2010 5:38 AM

Although my dad was really never into motocross - he thought it all a bit " hectic " - he

was fully responsible for my motorcycle-related illness though. He bought me and my

brother a 1965 Honda 150 Dream in 1972 - that POS started it all with me. A trip with

friends to the famed Pepperell, Massachusetts mx circuit in '73 ('74?) solidified a

lifelong prescription for a regular dose of motocross.

My brilliant dad - an 82 year-old distinguished British gentleman and professor

emeritus. is all about saving the world from itself.and could give a fat rat's ass about

motocross- and that's just the way I love him.
|

6/20/2010 6:21 AM

At the age of 13 my dad took me to my first outdoor national at Kenworthy's, we had a great time and at the end of the day I asked him if he thought I could be fast enough to ride pro one day. He said yes if I put in the effort, and from that day on for many many years he bought the bikes, maintained them and drove hundreds of miles all over Ohio to all the local tracks so that I could be fast enought to be pro. The time and effort he put in with me still humbles me to this day and made me the person I am. Will always love him for it and I am a better person for his efforts.

|

6/20/2010 6:23 AM

My dad raced MX and cross country, operated a multi line shop for almost 30 years, and helped a lot of guys get to the races. He also earned a #1 plate in district 5. I feel really lucky that he gave me the opportunity to ride and race, not everyone gets it. Some of my best childhood memories are of trail riding with him. Wish he was still here.

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]
You lose 100% of the chances that you never take!

6/20/2010 6:30 AM

Loved your closing sentiment Rup. Great idea for a thread as well. My father and I have not always seen eye to eye, twice we went a stretch without speaking. Both of us too much alike, apparently. However people on this site may feel about Jody, that was a powerful article for me. When I was finished it I thought that at some time I should ask my folks to attend a race. Maybe they thought they weren't welcome if I didn't ask. Finally by coincidence the Sat night before a race my dad called to see how I was doing. Told him the race was at the home track tomorrow and I was getting prepped. Maybe they should come to check out the festivities. Lo and behold they did. Now I don't know how THIS happened, but I WON in the +40 race! I wasn't the fastest guy but the one who manged to stay upright in the deep sand. Surrounded by guys railing by me and then cartwheeling down the track 4 corners later. I was usually a top 3 finisher but not a winner. Blows my mind that was the one and only win I ever got. Went right back to my usual finishes thereafter. Call it divine intervention, but the one race my dad came to see was the best and the most satisfying for him to see. Bizarre! Now I can say that he saw me race and won't carry that regret after he's gone.

|

6/20/2010 7:01 AM

my dad is moto, in my eyes of course. To the rest of the world he is just a late fifties truck driver. He bought me my first bike, a gt80 and we have made our own history since. He is the navigator of our trailrides and the groomer of my track. Every year planning out a different adventures. We have hit single track in twenty different states and always had a great time . He sets the bar high for me and my son Reed. Oh and his Blackwater 100 15th place trophy is so much more awesome than any I had ever won.

|

6/20/2010 7:21 AM

Just like Jody, my dad has never seen me race either. And most likely he never will.

|

6/20/2010 8:20 AM

Anytime riding with my dad growing up, or having him at the races now. Best times of my life.

Although in November I was on my way to a night race at the Salem Arenacross, and as we were packing up to leave, we started talking to the neighbor. My dad told him we were going up to the races and hopefully I don't crash my brains out. I said "dad you can't jinx me like that before I go ride!"

Sure enough, I crashed my brains out. haha, I still give him shit for it, and I don't think he likes it because he feels bad. But I didn't feel too good that night, so he can deal with it smile

|

Osama Bin Mixin - Head of the 2-stroke Taliban

6/20/2010 8:31 AM

Dad and I raced 40 weeks a year for 28 years. My best friend and all those years never an unkind word if I had a bad moto. We still ride together almost every weekend, doing laps and hitting tables and doubles side by side. It doesn't any better than this. Thanks Dad.

|

6/20/2010 9:10 AM

I could easily write a book about everything I've done with my Dad that revolved around motocross and motorcycles.
From the picture of my Dad setting me on the tank of his DT-1 that he converted to an MX bike 40 years ago, to the picture of the two of us that I took yesterday at Budds Creek as we sat on the hillside after the last moto and watched/waited for everyone to leave-- I cherish every memory and picture of us together.

We camped in the motorhome this weekend and had discussions of the weekends that we spent camping during my minibike days (we raced every weekend back then).

I think I'm most happy to say that my "best" memory of Dad was only yesterday, as that was our most recent outing together (and it was at an mx race!).

As I get older you realize that every time actually does count.

I think I am going to call him again today and wish him a Happy Fathers Day again...

|

6/20/2010 9:13 AM

I was always riding dirtbikes and racing a little mx but when I was 12 years old I kept getting in trouble. My dad told me if I could stay out of trouble he would be buy a new bike and we could race more. Never got in trouble (well not alot) and we went on to spending every weekend at the track as a family. MX is what kept me from going down the wrong path in life and brought our family closer while I was growing up. My kids now race/ride and it is great to head to the track for the weekend with my kids and my Dad in tow. He doesn't ride anymore but will ride his Goldwing to the track to watch.

He always wanted me to go faster and it would always piss me off! He would cut the track and take all the good lines and make me pass him. I soon figured it out!! I remember once time he layed in between a double so that I had to jump it!!

|

6/20/2010 9:38 AM

My dad took my Grandmother to watch me race at Saddleback. He got so into watching me race that he forgot about her being in the infield and she decided to cross the track herself! Imagine my horror when I came off the drop off and almost cleaned out my own Grandma!
He was wondering why I was shaking my fist at him the next lap! Miss you Dad!

|