Your Atlanta takeaways and opinions

motomike137
3/4/2019 6:52am
I thought the "sand carousel" was the coolest part of the track.
motomike137
3/4/2019 6:54am
FlaNard wrote:
No dog in this fight but the track was garbage. We've had multiple follow the leader races this year with very little passing. It kills the...
No dog in this fight but the track was garbage. We've had multiple follow the leader races this year with very little passing. It kills the drama. These tracks basically make it all about the start. Get a top three start and stay upright and you'll probably end up on the box.
Mostly flat ass turns will do it.
3/4/2019 8:12am
Steve 396 wrote:
I was there too and enjoyed every minute of the racing. My goodness there are some whiny ass people here these days. My takeaway are: 1...
I was there too and enjoyed every minute of the racing. My goodness there are some whiny ass people here these days.

My takeaway are:

1. Our first trip to this stadium and it was great. Very reasonable food and drink prices, never been anywhere like it. Free refills on soda, 2 dollar bottled water and my chicken tenders and fries we actually hot. Food and drink cost more at the local HS football games. All the staff at the stadium I encountered were friendly and helpful.

2. We stayed at the Marriott Marquis downtown, not a bad hotel clean and friendly staff. Wasn't cheap for sure and 100 bucks to park my f250 for 48 hours was ridiculous. Oh well, is what it is.

3. Downtown Atlanta is old and needs a facelift. Not a complaint just an observation.

4. The pits were fine but if the weather is bad i could see that being a problem. After doing it this year i don't really care that much about them. I'm not one to stand in line for autographs or interact with the riders. I just want to watch practice, qualifying and the racing. Next time I may not even go in the pits.

5. Like I said above we enjoyed the racing. I don't get all wrapped up about how it used to be or which track allows a little better passing opportunity. These guys are the cream of the crop and its their mission to get to the top step of the podium on whatever track they race on any given day. I saw MS 27 limping thru the pits, glad to see him on the mend. Watching alessi ride its clear its been a while and i assume he was playing it safe. Either way glad he's back for however long he's committed too.

Looking forward to Daytona and hoping for some close racing.....

We stayed at the Marriot as well, was enjoyable except for the the people begging in front of the hotel and the scamming going on by the LAZ parking crew (and my damn car got a dent). The parking ran out at 4:59 first night, then 2:59 am and my only option was $15 for 1 hour, then $15 for 24hrs? Otherwise, had an awesome time.
3/4/2019 8:20am
gt80rider wrote:
Stands looked a bit empty on tv, hopefully it was fuller in person....

Tired of these arenacross tracks... All high speed, one lined.... Sigh ....
The upper level was pretty sparse, but the stadium is so damn big, it looked like a smaller crowd. I`m sure the same number in the Dome would have been packed. I don`t like the new stadium myself, preferred the Dome much more, but it is what it is. I`m just glad they are still having some races, not in California.

The Shop

scrallex
3/4/2019 9:14am
Attended this race for the first time ever (never going to ATL again). Webb, BB, MM were racing great. Can't take anything away from those guys. Tomac deserves a LOT more credit for that 6th. He was basically dead last and getting shuffled backward on the first lap. Came from approximately18th on the first lap to about 6th and there were points in the race where he was passing people and still keeping pace with the leaders. The track was terrible and the sand section had the potential to be great but the track crew did not prepare it properly over the course of the day to give it a second line. They moved the tuffblocks onto the inside of the track for practice and qualifying, essentially cutting the width of the track in half. This wasn't a bad move by itself, however, when the night show began they moved the tuffblocks off the track. The unfortunate part was that they did nothing about the HUGE roller that was built by the bikes throughout the day in the middle-outside coming out from under the bridge. So everybody funneled to the inside because it was both the shortest distance and they didn't have to traverse a massive roller. It's like DirtWurx did everything they could to make the sand section as one lined as possible. The sand section had the potential to be the only solid passing opportunity for those guys if they had flattened it out before the mains but unfortunately they did not.

Eli rode his ass off and was as fast as anybody on the track. Everybody is just so even paced these days that he just won't be able to go from outside the top 10 to a win unless a lot of things go right for him. If I were Eli I would burn through 100 clutches this week practicing starts. I still believe he's the fastest guy out there but not near to the extent as the previous two years. If he can get himself in the top 5 on the first lap he can really go on a tear, but we all know that is a real shot in the dark. Cooper is great but the only reason he is doing this well is that that guy puts himself in a great position off the line 9 times out of 10. Exciting season for sure but I have a feeling it's going to be a snooze fest here in a couple of weeks if Eli doesn't figure out his starts.
3/4/2019 9:21am
scrallex wrote:
Attended this race for the first time ever (never going to ATL again). Webb, BB, MM were racing great. Can't take anything away from those guys...
Attended this race for the first time ever (never going to ATL again). Webb, BB, MM were racing great. Can't take anything away from those guys. Tomac deserves a LOT more credit for that 6th. He was basically dead last and getting shuffled backward on the first lap. Came from approximately18th on the first lap to about 6th and there were points in the race where he was passing people and still keeping pace with the leaders. The track was terrible and the sand section had the potential to be great but the track crew did not prepare it properly over the course of the day to give it a second line. They moved the tuffblocks onto the inside of the track for practice and qualifying, essentially cutting the width of the track in half. This wasn't a bad move by itself, however, when the night show began they moved the tuffblocks off the track. The unfortunate part was that they did nothing about the HUGE roller that was built by the bikes throughout the day in the middle-outside coming out from under the bridge. So everybody funneled to the inside because it was both the shortest distance and they didn't have to traverse a massive roller. It's like DirtWurx did everything they could to make the sand section as one lined as possible. The sand section had the potential to be the only solid passing opportunity for those guys if they had flattened it out before the mains but unfortunately they did not.

Eli rode his ass off and was as fast as anybody on the track. Everybody is just so even paced these days that he just won't be able to go from outside the top 10 to a win unless a lot of things go right for him. If I were Eli I would burn through 100 clutches this week practicing starts. I still believe he's the fastest guy out there but not near to the extent as the previous two years. If he can get himself in the top 5 on the first lap he can really go on a tear, but we all know that is a real shot in the dark. Cooper is great but the only reason he is doing this well is that that guy puts himself in a great position off the line 9 times out of 10. Exciting season for sure but I have a feeling it's going to be a snooze fest here in a couple of weeks if Eli doesn't figure out his starts.
I thought it was a great race, but I am not a Eli fanboy.....
ky_savage
Fantasy
490th
3/4/2019 10:33am
One thing I decided from Atlanta is that I needed to hop off the Tomac wagon for a while. I was starting to get sick with all the highs and lows on that roller coaster ride. I probably won't get back on until the outdoors start.
BobKerr
3/4/2019 11:14am
Cooper Webb is rock solid under pressure and cannot be rattled.
wsmille2
3/4/2019 12:04pm
Steve 396 wrote:
I was there too and enjoyed every minute of the racing. My goodness there are some whiny ass people here these days. My takeaway are: 1...
I was there too and enjoyed every minute of the racing. My goodness there are some whiny ass people here these days.

My takeaway are:

1. Our first trip to this stadium and it was great. Very reasonable food and drink prices, never been anywhere like it. Free refills on soda, 2 dollar bottled water and my chicken tenders and fries we actually hot. Food and drink cost more at the local HS football games. All the staff at the stadium I encountered were friendly and helpful.

2. We stayed at the Marriott Marquis downtown, not a bad hotel clean and friendly staff. Wasn't cheap for sure and 100 bucks to park my f250 for 48 hours was ridiculous. Oh well, is what it is.

3. Downtown Atlanta is old and needs a facelift. Not a complaint just an observation.

4. The pits were fine but if the weather is bad i could see that being a problem. After doing it this year i don't really care that much about them. I'm not one to stand in line for autographs or interact with the riders. I just want to watch practice, qualifying and the racing. Next time I may not even go in the pits.

5. Like I said above we enjoyed the racing. I don't get all wrapped up about how it used to be or which track allows a little better passing opportunity. These guys are the cream of the crop and its their mission to get to the top step of the podium on whatever track they race on any given day. I saw MS 27 limping thru the pits, glad to see him on the mend. Watching alessi ride its clear its been a while and i assume he was playing it safe. Either way glad he's back for however long he's committed too.

Looking forward to Daytona and hoping for some close racing.....

...and it looks like the concession prices on some of the items will be dropping as well as the stadium may become the first cash-less stadium.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2019/03/04/mercedes-benz-stadi…
scrallex
3/4/2019 2:26pm
I thought it was a great race, but I am not a Eli fanboy.....
It was definitely a great race. I just feel that the track could have been prepared differently so that there were more places to hit the same rhythms. It didn't seem like they were able to move around the track left to right without losing a bunch of time. I heard they went without lime this weekend also, which explained the track crew working the rhythm lanes before each main. I attended Dallas as well and don't recall them reshaping either rhythm lane, let alone both. The whoops were gnarly, almost too gnarly but luckily none of the big names were sidelined by them.

I'll admit to my fanboy ways when it comes to Eli and I'll admit that the race was significantly less exciting for me considering his end result. I can't ditch the wagon though because he did move through more people than anybody all day in a single race. His speed was there it's just a bummer how much the starts are playing into the results in these races. Cooper deserves every bit of credit this season but I don't recall him having to pass more than 5 riders for any of his wins. Would have been interesting if BB got the holeshot and if Coop would have been able to pull the win off with a 5-8 place start. But starts are a part of the game and Webb deserves credit for putting himself in a great spot off the line in most of the mains. In short, yes I'm a Tomac fan, but I have a boatload of respect for what Webb is doing this year. I'm just want to see this title fight continue and it seems that the only person with enough speed to go toe to toe with Webb is Tomac and he is exceptionally hit or miss this year.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
3/4/2019 2:58pm
str8line wrote:
Track was terrible, dirt was terrible. Riders were awesome as usual. No big injuries is a GREAT thing on that track. Cool to see Seely and...

Track was terrible, dirt was terrible. Riders were awesome as usual. No big injuries is a GREAT thing on that track. Cool to see Seely and Baggett get a heat win. Tomac came through the pack impressively after his terrible start. Webb is the real deal, so hard to believe his turnaround. AC was impressive. AP was impressive. Reed is a douche for that takeout. Forkner showed maturity. Sexton is in AC and AF's league. Osborne will get there. Sucks that Roczen had those injuries.
What happened to Seely in the main?
Question
3/4/2019 3:59pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2019 4:06pm
Question wrote:
Interesting results, good looking dirt, but worst race so far this season in 450. It was like F1, we were almost waiting for a pit stop...

Interesting results, good looking dirt, but worst race so far this season in 450. It was like F1, we were almost waiting for a pit stop to see some passes ... On these kind of tracks, and for the second time this year, Tomac could't even come back from a bad start, that speaks volume.
BobPA wrote:
Speaks volumes? That what, Tomac just was not all that fast tonight?
I just rewatched some of the races and my comment is I think still valid.

Let us count Tomac out of the equation, how many passes have we seen all night ?

I would say we can count it with our 2 hands, maybe 10 passes, maybe less, maybe more, but not much more. Even the LCQ brought no passes. Plus the only passes we saw were due to the rider in front making a mistake (Musquin) or scared by the whoops that night (Alessi, Forkner), it was not really passes based on speed. The only one who was moving up was Reed in the main, then he crashed... Maybe he crashed trying to pass ? It was also a problem at Glendale if I remember well, the race where Savatgy was holding 4 riders for 10 minutes. It should not become followcross or startercross, forttunately it is not often like that and Daytona should be a good one !

What I do miss too is a rider like JS7 who would have had the technique to come back from a bad start, for instance there was a rythm section that was asking for some triple triple or wheelie on triple triple and most were not doing it or were doing it sometimes only. I know it is risky when it is rutty but at the pro level they should also start to train on gnarly tracks, no need to spend money to rebuild it every couple of days if you know the race tracks will be gnaly, it doesn't make sense.

I won't throw the track design under the bus either, it is just that the first races brought I think a bit more action, so now these experiences should help them to design tracks that offer more passing. It is good for the championship so far, but the fastest rider should still come on top at the end, not just the best starters, otherwise riders like Alessi would have 3 titles already. In term of racing, basically this week end I enjoyed more seeing Paulin and Desalle coming from dead last to 5th and 6th racing like mad men on a nice wide and beautiful track, which is not always the case either in mxgp.
rp031x
3/4/2019 4:48pm
level wrote:
Hard to tell much about a track on tv compared to being there and I will be the first to praise a good track but Atlanta...
Hard to tell much about a track on tv compared to being there and I will be the first to praise a good track but Atlanta was one of if not the worst track I’ve ever seen in the last decade or maybe ever. It was awful design, awkward jumps and little opportunity for passing. I hated it. Frankly a little sketchy and dangerous also.

Nice to see coop win again and bagget did good.

Field is deep man. Can win one weekend and be 5th the next. Great for fans. Again Atlanta track design really didn’t give an edge for anyone to pick a fast line and really move forward. Really did need to start up front in this race.

Ac was on rails tonight as well as ferrandis. They pushed hard on this track and it paid off.

Lot of guys played it safe tonight and didn’t push it probably because of how sketchy the track was.

Can’t wait for Daytona.

Thoughts?
My take away is that Webb is going to win the title.
Steve 396
3/4/2019 5:04pm
We stayed at the Marriot as well, was enjoyable except for the the people begging in front of the hotel and the scamming going on by...
We stayed at the Marriot as well, was enjoyable except for the the people begging in front of the hotel and the scamming going on by the LAZ parking crew (and my damn car got a dent). The parking ran out at 4:59 first night, then 2:59 am and my only option was $15 for 1 hour, then $15 for 24hrs? Otherwise, had an awesome time.
Yes the beggars were a little aggravating. We had one guy tell us he was just a local and wanted to help with directions which I took him up on. Then after he told me how to get to the "Braves bar and grill" he put his hand out and asked for some money. I don't want to disparage those that are less fortunate but just be honest. In more than happy to buy food but handing out money isn't happening.

Sounds like you made out better with parking besides the dent. I checked my truck out before driving away just to be sure.....
Gus
3/4/2019 7:20pm
Second year going. Flew in and ubered over to the Omni on Friday. Did the touristy thing in the afternoon. Went to Ted Montana’s on Friday night and literally bumped into Anderson. Osby and the Bear were in there eating as well. Had a nice steak. Saturday we did the pits most of the day, walked back over to the hotel and recharged and did a little work before the night show. Thought the prices for concessions were good. $2 bottle water $3 pizza , had a beer. Watched Webb win ... so it was awesome. Take away ? I like it but it’s a sample of 1 stadium. Might go to Vegas for the finale.
3/5/2019 4:37am
We stayed at the Marriot as well, was enjoyable except for the the people begging in front of the hotel and the scamming going on by...
Steve 396 wrote:
Yes the beggars were a little aggravating. We had one guy tell us he was just a local and wanted to help with directions which I...
Yes the beggars were a little aggravating. We had one guy tell us he was just a local and wanted to help with directions which I took him up on. Then after he told me how to get to the "Braves bar and grill" he put his hand out and asked for some money. I don't want to disparage those that are less fortunate but just be honest. In more than happy to buy food but handing out money isn't happening.

Sounds like you made out better with parking besides the dent. I checked my truck out before driving away just to be sure.....
Haha, I bet I had the same guy "Help" me with the parking lot, LOL!
str8line
3/5/2019 9:11am
Frank wrote:
I could care less who wins. Seems fantasy bullshit has created a new bread of vitriol in the sport. Track was great. Best dirt of the...
I could care less who wins. Seems fantasy bullshit has created a new bread of vitriol in the sport.

Track was great.
Best dirt of the season so far
Huge whoops.
Sand section was great. Would love an entire track sx track made of sand.
Top 3 riders super close the entire race.
AC and Tomac proved you could pass all over the track.

Excellent event.

Best dirt of the season? You obviously didn't hear the riders talking about how loose it was. And there were gnarly acceleration bumps.
str8line
3/5/2019 9:16am
scrallex wrote:
Attended this race for the first time ever (never going to ATL again). Webb, BB, MM were racing great. Can't take anything away from those guys...

Good post. Except for the part about the only reason Cooper doing this well is because of good starts. I think Cooper could make a lot of passes too if he needed to. He's just riding really aggressive and well. I think Tomac and him could battle every week if they could only both start up front. Hoping for that at Daytona.
3/5/2019 9:31am
scrallex wrote:

str8line wrote:
Good post. Except for the part about the only reason Cooper doing this well is because of good starts. I think Cooper could make a lot...

Good post. Except for the part about the only reason Cooper doing this well is because of good starts. I think Cooper could make a lot of passes too if he needed to. He's just riding really aggressive and well. I think Tomac and him could battle every week if they could only both start up front. Hoping for that at Daytona.
I think what people are missing is that 22 riders are on that gate, and the gate drops at the same time for every rider, the only thing Cooper is doing well at is beating the other 21 guys, starts are part of the race, just like whoops, rhythm sections...etc. MM sucks in the whoops, yet still beat Tomac, who is pretty damn impressive in the whoops. You can`t say he is only winning because of "X" or so and so is only losing because of "X". They all start at the same time with the same opportunities. I am a huge Reed fan, but I realize the situation. Tomac is his own worst enemy, and is the only one to blame. Some races he gets horrible starts and comes all the way through the pack in "beast mode" to win, some days he can`t get around Bowers for half the race? This has always been his M.O., nothing new. MM25 has always been right where he is at, BB4 is improving, but has never been the guy in the 450 class.

Post a reply to: Your Atlanta takeaways and opinions

The Latest