Your Atlanta takeaways and opinions

TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
3/3/2019 8:52am
Horrible track for racing. The top 5 didn't move the entire race unless there was a slight mistake. Last night was just another example of "startercross" versus supercross. Just a horrible layout and design for racing. Bring on Daytona thank God.
gt80rider
3/3/2019 9:00am
Stands looked a bit empty on tv, hopefully it was fuller in person....

Tired of these arenacross tracks... All high speed, one lined.... Sigh ....
WCRider
Fantasy
2234th
3/3/2019 9:07am Edited Date/Time 3/3/2019 9:09am
Listen the press conference, they talk about tracks.
motogrady
3/3/2019 9:11am
I thought it was all good.

Webb, he's always had the skills.
Difference imho is he's in the best shape of his life.

The track, it's just another track. The dirt, ha, it's just dirt. Everyone rode the same thing.

MM was just MM. He did give it a good shot at the end, hats off to him. He ain't laying down.

ET, who the hell knows what's up with him.

17 rode his best race to date.

800, I thought he'd maybe do better. I was hoping so but really, unlike some have said, the current crop of guys out there are the real deal.

22 rode good but hey stuff happens. Can a 30 something guy regain the intensity of a Webb at his current age, it doesn't look like it. Time sucks.

The shootout was a real good race.

Ralph showed why they keep him on. He plugged about 6 things in about 20 seconds and didn't miss a beat. Even challenged RC to do better, and Ricky wisely stfu.

DeCoster could have Midas added to his nickname and it wouldn't be far off.

Suzuki needs electric start, bad.

The Shop

FlaNard
3/3/2019 9:19am
No dog in this fight but the track was garbage. We've had multiple follow the leader races this year with very little passing. It kills the drama. These tracks basically make it all about the start. Get a top three start and stay upright and you'll probably end up on the box.
eGGz
3/3/2019 9:24am
I "always" take my medication when in Atlanta.
milliebays
3/3/2019 9:31am
My takealway is that if you point out RCs comedy of errors your post gets deleted. This sport...
3/3/2019 9:36am
gnarwhip wrote:
Another lame, one lined track. No passing opportunities.
How many passes did Tomac make? At least 6, so don't feed that one lined BS about the track. Step up the aggressiveness and make some passes. Too many of these guys follow waiting for a mistake to happen in front of them. Make it happen, cap'n!
Indy mxer
3/3/2019 10:54am
gnarwhip wrote:
How many passes did Tomac make? At least 6, so don't feed that one lined BS about the track. Step up the aggressiveness and make some...
How many passes did Tomac make? At least 6, so don't feed that one lined BS about the track. Step up the aggressiveness and make some passes. Too many of these guys follow waiting for a mistake to happen in front of them. Make it happen, cap'n!
The top 5 were pretty much set from the start with very little passing. Spin it however you want.
The race was pretty much follow the leader and the track offered very little in the way of options for the riders to try.
Johnny Depp
3/3/2019 11:21am
gnarwhip wrote:
Someone forgot to tell AC92 that. Tomac moved up a bit also. Bring on the Triple Crowns for more start variety.
3/3/2019 11:25am
The track was so bad that the top 3 guys stayed roughly within a second of each other for the whole race forcing everyone to ride...
The track was so bad that the top 3 guys stayed roughly within a second of each other for the whole race forcing everyone to ride perfectly.

Fucking track.
I was at the race and both mains had everyone standing. Great close racing. They knocked down the whoops and some of the rythym sections after...
I was at the race and both mains had everyone standing. Great close racing. They knocked down the whoops and some of the rythym sections after qualifying. I love sand sections, being from Florida you learn how to ride sand. These guys are pros, challenge them with different obstacles. I’d love to see some right handers at the end of the start straight, mix it up some.
Me too, thought it was awesome watching Marv and BB dicing it out trying to get Webb. It was boring if your a ET3 guy, is my guess. He didnt look good all night, could barely pass the bear and Reed!
3/3/2019 11:29am
The lites shootout was awesome too, I would have lost the farm on that one, didnt think that AC had it in him.
downard254
3/3/2019 11:46am
Sorry boys, Atlanta ‘90 only comes along once in a blue moon.
JMed651
3/3/2019 12:41pm
450: They can’t all be barnburners, but I thought this was decent for how the track turned out. I was glued to the tv with those 3 KTM’s within the same second for what seemed like the whole race.

Plessinger! Nuff said.

Don’t know the who the kid is but stoked for Lesher(?) who qualified 38th then rode in 5th for the majority of his heat before finishing 7th. That had to be surreal for him.

I wanted more from Wilson and Seely after their practice and heat success honestly.

250: 5 east/ 5 west in the top 10 is pretty cool.

Proud of AC92 for that effort, that was a pleasant surprise to see him ride to his ability like that.
3/3/2019 12:56pm
The biggest problem was no turns for passing. The track only changed direction 7 times. Nothing but straights with jumps that everyone did the same at the same speed.
Steve 396
3/3/2019 2:34pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2019 2:38pm
I was there too and enjoyed every minute of the racing. My goodness there are some whiny ass people here these days.

My takeaway are:

1. Our first trip to this stadium and it was great. Very reasonable food and drink prices, never been anywhere like it. Free refills on soda, 2 dollar bottled water and my chicken tenders and fries we actually hot. Food and drink cost more at the local HS football games. All the staff at the stadium I encountered were friendly and helpful.

2. We stayed at the Marriott Marquis downtown, not a bad hotel clean and friendly staff. Wasn't cheap for sure and 100 bucks to park my f250 for 48 hours was ridiculous. Oh well, is what it is.

3. Downtown Atlanta is old and needs a facelift. Not a complaint just an observation.

4. The pits were fine but if the weather is bad i could see that being a problem. After doing it this year i don't really care that much about them. I'm not one to stand in line for autographs or interact with the riders. I just want to watch practice, qualifying and the racing. Next time I may not even go in the pits.

5. Like I said above we enjoyed the racing. I don't get all wrapped up about how it used to be or which track allows a little better passing opportunity. These guys are the cream of the crop and its their mission to get to the top step of the podium on whatever track they race on any given day. I saw MS 27 limping thru the pits, glad to see him on the mend. Watching alessi ride its clear its been a while and i assume he was playing it safe. Either way glad he's back for however long he's committed too.

Looking forward to Daytona and hoping for some close racing.....

Indy mxer
3/3/2019 3:15pm
Steve 396 wrote:
I was there too and enjoyed every minute of the racing. My goodness there are some whiny ass people here these days. My takeaway are: 1...
I was there too and enjoyed every minute of the racing. My goodness there are some whiny ass people here these days.

My takeaway are:

1. Our first trip to this stadium and it was great. Very reasonable food and drink prices, never been anywhere like it. Free refills on soda, 2 dollar bottled water and my chicken tenders and fries we actually hot. Food and drink cost more at the local HS football games. All the staff at the stadium I encountered were friendly and helpful.

2. We stayed at the Marriott Marquis downtown, not a bad hotel clean and friendly staff. Wasn't cheap for sure and 100 bucks to park my f250 for 48 hours was ridiculous. Oh well, is what it is.

3. Downtown Atlanta is old and needs a facelift. Not a complaint just an observation.

4. The pits were fine but if the weather is bad i could see that being a problem. After doing it this year i don't really care that much about them. I'm not one to stand in line for autographs or interact with the riders. I just want to watch practice, qualifying and the racing. Next time I may not even go in the pits.

5. Like I said above we enjoyed the racing. I don't get all wrapped up about how it used to be or which track allows a little better passing opportunity. These guys are the cream of the crop and its their mission to get to the top step of the podium on whatever track they race on any given day. I saw MS 27 limping thru the pits, glad to see him on the mend. Watching alessi ride its clear its been a while and i assume he was playing it safe. Either way glad he's back for however long he's committed too.

Whiny really? That's what forums are for. Big difference between whining and giving an opinion.
Lots of people just didn't think the racing was very good. If you think it was, great. But as I said earlier, it was pretty much follow the leader and the track had no options.

I wonder why they don't use split lanes and split turns more often. They seem to make the racing better.
Steve 396
3/3/2019 3:26pm
Steve 396 wrote:
I was there too and enjoyed every minute of the racing. My goodness there are some whiny ass people here these days. My takeaway are: 1...

My takeaway are:

Indy mxer wrote:
Whiny really? That's what forums are for. Big difference between whining and giving an opinion. Lots of people just didn't think the racing was very good...
Whiny really? That's what forums are for. Big difference between whining and giving an opinion.
Lots of people just didn't think the racing was very good. If you think it was, great. But as I said earlier, it was pretty much follow the leader and the track had no options.

I wonder why they don't use split lanes and split turns more often. They seem to make the racing better.
IMHO lots of whining going on here lately, not just this thread either.

Split lanes would be great. One thing I just thought of that I didn't mention above was the stadium looks much bigger on TV vs. In person. I would have thought there would be plenty of room to design almost anything but its not as big as you think, or at least what I thought.
Frank
3/3/2019 3:56pm
I could care less who wins. Seems fantasy bullshit has created a new bread of vitriol in the sport.

Track was great.
Best dirt of the season so far
Huge whoops.
Sand section was great. Would love an entire track sx track made of sand.
Top 3 riders super close the entire race.
AC and Tomac proved you could pass all over the track.

Excellent event.

Stoneface
3/3/2019 4:00pm
It seems like the Musquin / Webb rivalry is getting hotter. Marvin is showing real intensity and looks faster each week. He looks more aggressive than I remember him the past two seasons. Hoping he gets a win soon and keeps pushing Webb.
GangGreen
3/3/2019 4:46pm
Tampabayjay stated, “They knocked down the whoops and some of the rhythm sections after qualifying. “

EXCESSIVE GROOMING CAUSED LACKLUSTER RACING.

Everyone says it was a “shitty” track, but when you continue to dumb down the track with excessive grooming, it makes passing impossible. If you had the NBCSports package you saw they groomed the 3 - 3 rhythm section AND the ruts and bumps before the tunnel before the 450cc main event. IT’S SUPERCROSS, IT’S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE EASY.
bvm111
3/3/2019 5:46pm
That sand pig tail section was horrible
lumpy790
3/3/2019 8:10pm
Riders were making mistakes and Pro’s do not crash or mess up on easy tracks. MM25 was charging to the front but blew the triple triple a couple times and lost time to try and come back from.

Sand was awesome.

Ted722
3/3/2019 9:10pm
Ted722 wrote:
9 rounds into the '93 season: McGrath - 5 wins Bradshaw - 2 wins LaRocco/Kiedrowski - 1 win each 9 rounds into the '19 season: Webb...
9 rounds into the '93 season:
McGrath - 5 wins
Bradshaw - 2 wins
LaRocco/Kiedrowski - 1 win each

9 rounds into the '19 season:
Webb - 5 wins
Tomac -- 2 wins
Barcia/Baggett - 1 win each

BobbyLight wrote:
MC 93': 4,5,1,1,1,1,4,2,1
CW 19': 5,10,1,1,8,1,1,2,1
Thru 9 rounds - (I know different points structure)
'19 Webb - 199
'93 MC - 199
ATHEIST
Fantasy
966th
3/4/2019 5:10am
now for the important Woohoo ?'s how was crowd? you couldn't tell on tv. lower looked full but never saw shot of upper. was roof open?Cool
3/4/2019 6:03am
ATHEIST wrote:
now for the important Woohoo ?'s how was crowd? you couldn't tell on tv. lower looked full but never saw shot of upper. was roof open?Cool
Definitely not sold out but still decent. The middle ring looked packed, lower level probably 80% and 25% upper level. Roof was closed, I have no idea why. It was in the low 60’s temp with no rain forecast. Opening the roof probably would have helped with the horrible acoustics and exhaust fumes.
chilybil23
3/4/2019 6:09am
ATHEIST wrote:
Roof was closed, seemed a great day/night to have it open at least part of the day. The upper area was maybe 25% full I would guess at best.

I second the thought of Suzuki needing E-start, it was a pretty bad look having 3 bikes crash right in front of us, 1 rides away(ZO) and the other 2 have to sit there and kick several times to get going again. It was funny when Reed went down right before the whoops section and you could here the announcer say that Reed was over there trying to kickstart his Suzuki.

They really lucked out with the Pits being outside, weather in Atlanta area this time of year is way to unpredictable to make that sustainable going forward IMO, they had TORNADO warnings and major storms on Sunday! Plus it really seems to change the atmosphere, not the same buzz as normal in the pits was the vibe I felt. That and the lines to get in and out, yeah you had to wait in line to get out lol, were a little strange. In previous years there was always a line to get when they opened, this year there was what seemed like a perpetual line at any time during the day. Sticking all the Privateers in that dark tent seemed like they were trying to hide them, I know FELD couldn't care less for them but that seemed a bit much.

I felt like with the way the top 3 rode, if either MM or BB would've gotten the Holeshot they would've probably won as well. I was a little shocked that Webb couldn't put any space between himself and them, I did think it was pretty exciting to watch because even though there wasn't much passing between the top 3 you were waiting for one of them to make a mistake and drop way back and it never really happened other than MM losing 2 to BB.
Fourth_Floor
3/4/2019 6:40am
My takeaway is that the Tomac camp NEEDS to bring someone in to get his starts figured out.

Post a reply to: Your Atlanta takeaways and opinions

The Latest