You trailer haulers out there....

12/6/2018 11:35am
racerx217 wrote:
It wasnt bad at all and i would do it in a heart beat again. The only guys that say its sketchy are they guys that...
It wasnt bad at all and i would do it in a heart beat again. The only guys that say its sketchy are they guys that are towing with 2500's. Must make them feel better about having a bigger truck or something. They have a 10k tow rating for a reason.
Tracktor wrote:
[u]Pulling[/u] a heavy trailer with light duty truck might not be sketchy at times but stopping one can be. Heck, anything with a hitch and a...
Pulling a heavy trailer with light duty truck might not be sketchy at times but stopping one can be. Heck, anything with a hitch and a big enough engine can tow but when something goes wrong, wind hits you, trailer brakes fail, etc having the correct tow rig can make the difference between driving away & being an accident statistic. Adding air bags to a light duty rig can help but it will never be as safe as a heavier duty rig.
What is funny about tow ratings on paper is often the factory hitch doesn't match what's printed on paper. Even my F350 is rated for more than the hitch is technically rated for.........
I agree with this 100%. I see people all the time that buy a boat, or bigger house trailer or whatever, and never even consider what they are going to tow it with. Even the guy towing the big trailer with the raptor, I have no doubt it tows his trailer, but I know two guys with the same motor that have had transmission issues, because of what they are towing.

Buy the right truck for the right job. Just my opinion.
Do_Work
12/6/2018 1:03pm
casper wrote:
I have a Tundra also and pull a 23 foot toy hauler fully loaded at ~8,000 pounds and at max payload and the Tundra pulls it...
I have a Tundra also and pull a 23 foot toy hauler fully loaded at ~8,000 pounds and at max payload and the Tundra pulls it fine. Yes, you can feel the truck is near it's limits, but that doesn't mean it feels unsafe. I've taken my Toy Hauler from San Diego to Mammoth and back, through the mountains at 104 degrees out and truck never overheated and was able to keep 55 mph going up steep grades.

I think it comes down to how comfortable you are with towing. I have friends that basically want to tow and not even feel like have a trailer behind them.

Isn't the speed limit 55 when towing in CA? Trying towing across Wyoming at 75mph with crosswind.
dmm698
12/6/2018 1:34pm
racerx217 wrote:
It wasnt bad at all and i would do it in a heart beat again. The only guys that say its sketchy are they guys that...
It wasnt bad at all and i would do it in a heart beat again. The only guys that say its sketchy are they guys that are towing with 2500's. Must make them feel better about having a bigger truck or something. They have a 10k tow rating for a reason.
Tracktor wrote:
[u]Pulling[/u] a heavy trailer with light duty truck might not be sketchy at times but stopping one can be. Heck, anything with a hitch and a...
Pulling a heavy trailer with light duty truck might not be sketchy at times but stopping one can be. Heck, anything with a hitch and a big enough engine can tow but when something goes wrong, wind hits you, trailer brakes fail, etc having the correct tow rig can make the difference between driving away & being an accident statistic. Adding air bags to a light duty rig can help but it will never be as safe as a heavier duty rig.
What is funny about tow ratings on paper is often the factory hitch doesn't match what's printed on paper. Even my F350 is rated for more than the hitch is technically rated for.........
I agree with this 100%. I see people all the time that buy a boat, or bigger house trailer or whatever, and never even consider what...
I agree with this 100%. I see people all the time that buy a boat, or bigger house trailer or whatever, and never even consider what they are going to tow it with. Even the guy towing the big trailer with the raptor, I have no doubt it tows his trailer, but I know two guys with the same motor that have had transmission issues, because of what they are towing.

Buy the right truck for the right job. Just my opinion.
or how about if you add the max towing weight to the curb weight (weight without any passengers in the vehicle) of just about any 1500 youre basically almost at or already exceeding the gross combined vehicle weight (vehicle weight + whats in tow). Or at 10,000 pounds, 10% minimum tongue weight thats 1000 on the hitch, whats the rear axle rated for again on a half ton? I pulled a 8.5k 30 foot bumper pull toy hauler with the proper weight distribution hitch 2 times with a 13 silverado 1500, and that was enough. Struggling to do the speed limit up hills, pushing the truck around ect. 2500 LML and now 2500 L5P and you dont even hardly notice its there, not to mention I can do 75 down the highway at 1500 RPM and hear myself think, unlike the 4500+ RPM the 1500 5.3 took to do 65 down a hill.

All fun and games that the truck will pull something (all weights aside) until there is an unfortunate event and the insurance washes their hands of helping because you're over the weight limit of your P rated 1500 tires, or GCWR, or anything else for that matter. Just not worth it.
captmoto
12/6/2018 3:59pm
I've seen a couple wrecks where 1/2 ton trucks got overpowered by a trailer. Usually happens going downhill. I've heard that some insurance companies will tell you tough shit if you have exceeded the weight limits of your tow vehicle. Just because you can pull it doesn't mean you should.

The Shop

NITRODOG
Fantasy
1338th
12/6/2018 5:05pm

Love this truck....07 Classic, aerodynamic, Duramax diesel, Allison trans, 12 tires on the ground keeps it stable in even in high winds, plenty of room for the bikes and the people. It cruises so nice down the road at 65-75 you have to be careful to remember the trailer is back there! This was on our way to Loretta's this year.
yamahaha131
12/7/2018 5:01pm
16ft x7ft tandem is a great size. I had this system built so I can stagger 3 bikes on each side if I want/need. With the pull of two pins I can pull the bar and open up all the floor space if needed.

racerx217
12/10/2018 3:33pm
16ft x7ft tandem is a great size. I had this system built so I can stagger 3 bikes on each side if I want/need. With the...
16ft x7ft tandem is a great size. I had this system built so I can stagger 3 bikes on each side if I want/need. With the pull of two pins I can pull the bar and open up all the floor space if needed.

What kind of floor covering is that?

Post a reply to: You trailer haulers out there....

The Latest